Start by marking “Waking Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waking Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #1)

Waking Magic

(The Leira Chronicles #1)

Solve a murder, save her mother, and stop the apocalypse?

No problem.

She has a foul-mouthed troll on her side.

For Austin homicide detective Leira Berens, happy is running down bad guys and solving crimes.

And she’s damn good at it.

Which is why when the Light Elf prince is murdered, the king breaks a centuries old treaty and cross
Published August 2nd 2017 by LMBPN Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Waking Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Magic

Start your review of Waking Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Waking Magic by Martha Carr, Michael Anderle and narrated by Carly Robins is a fresh fun fantasy! It has a portal to another world, a tough female Texas cop, elves, a murdered Prince, drunk bowlers, tentacles, and a 5 inch troll that bonds with the cop! The little troll can change sizes too!
It is action packed, fun, full of zany characters, situations, and keep me very entertained!

Patrick
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad

The main character is described in detail as a hottie. Then to explain why she's not in a relationship, it's explained that she's dedicated. So while her middle aged, out of shape male partner is in a relationship, if she looked the same that would explain why she's not.

She likes shooting SUSPECTS before arresting them, a trait that her male partner really likes about her.

It makes sense because any poor suspect is automatically guilty when a policeman/woman decides
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Talk about a disjointed read. This book was a mess. Nothing flowed, information was given out randomly, most of them having no bearing on what was happening. There were several instances where things happened that a normal person wouldn't do.

First off her mother has been in a psych ward for 15 years because she was seeing elves and the fairy folk, Leira hasn't seen her in that time either. Leira also starts to see these thing but when she realizes her mother is not crazy she doesn't
Marsha
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two authors writing a book together is certainly not a novel concept. Husband and wife writing team Ilona Andrews is a prime example of how two writers can produce an incredible read without any hint is separatism. Unfortunately, I didn't get that feeling with "Waking Magic" by Martha Carr and Michael Anderle. While the story had great potential it fell short due to too many points of views and disjointed writing.

When I first read the summary for this book I was so excited. I was loo
Sadie Forsythe
I was bitterly disappointed by this. Let me start with a little bit of a rant. This is labeled as the first book in a series, book 1. But I picked it up and was completely confused, lost. The story had obviously started somewhere else. How can that be if this is book one, I asked.

Well, apparently there is a book .5. Now, I have no problem with .5 books (or however you want to labeled something that comes before book one). This is the place for a prequel. But if the story is part of book one, if
Justinelliss
Slightly better than the first

While some of the ideas are still good, the way they are presented lacks cohesion and clarity. The reader's attention is drawn this way and that without regard to flow.

I think a couple of revisions would make this better.
Tonya Johansson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a teen book with a few cuss words thrown in. I couldn't finish it.
Eric Green
Pretty much what you expect of self-published stuff on Amazon. It's done reasonably well for what it is, but clearly could have benefited from some aggressive editing.
Kurt Benson
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good writing, good story, developed characters

I would suggest you read the prequel. As teasers go it will grab your attention right off the blocks. The main character is an Austin homicide detective who is young and very good at what she does, and as it turns out is tagged to find the murderer of an elven prince. Comp!ovations and twists arise as they will and there is a time limit as well. Good story and complex, developed characters with none of the typos, grammatical errors, or inconsistenci
Norma Mason
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the new world!

I refuse to write spoilers, but love the troll! The author has created a world and characters that makes sense and whom I can fall in love with!
Cecilia Burns
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!!!

I love this series so far! I adore the humor and all the characters especially that adorable troll the cutest sidekick ever. I'm very much looking forward to more of this series keep it coming can't wait to see how Leria evolves into her gifts and her not cutting herself off so much emotionally. Please hurry with next story can't wait!!!
Bonnie Dale Keck
Shelves: carr, favorites
Kindle Unlimited

There are some on our planet who believe you can't handle the truth, so the truth has been hidden for millennia. The only problem is the truth is coming back… Early.Some of the crazy history shows on cable TV might not have the answers, but at least they ask the right questions.Homicide detective, Leira Berens is in a race against a magical force with a mischievous troll by her side with a penchant for swearing.The stakes are real. And so is the magical world she just
Adam Woodruff
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new universe and new friends

Michael and Martha bring to you a new universe with a detective that is happiest when she is in the throes of her job, elves, gnomes and an troll who likes to nest in her underwear. Welcome to the Oriceran Universe.
Ann Zdunczyk
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONG more, more, more

Just as you think you have a handle on how things are going, WHAM!! You get smacked up beside the head and nope you have no idea!! Great stories and can't wait for more!!! When is the next one coming out!!!!!
Lois Alston
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I am hooked. Love this story, but wanted a different ending. Anxiously awaiting for the next story in this series.
Wanda binz
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I can't wait for more stories in this series. You and Michael make a great story writing team I can't wait for more. Thanks
Richard E.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waking Magic

Very well written book. once I started reading it, it opened up into a Movie for me. Another 'over the Green Monster' hit for the Kuthurian Universe. finished in approx 4 Hours...Because it was like Watching a Movie for me. Waiting to see Y Tiberius Troll comes into his own, TOO. RJ Sends.
Darla Phillips
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is going to be a blast!

I am a huge Kutherian fan and was really "trolling" around for something new and fun to start. I have found it and I so need a YFTT mug to sip out of when reading the next book!
Alastar
Wonderful

Book 1 was even more fun than book 0. I enjoyed Liera's interaction with both the troll and with 😃Bert. I am definitely curious to learn more about Liera's background and were she is heading to.
Alfred Durrance
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good start for the series. Looking forward to the next.
Tony Hisgett
Dec 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, fantasy
I read the introductory short story Quest for Magic and was annoyed it just ended. It was obviously a ploy to get the reader to buy the first book in this series.

Eventually I tried this book but the Troll is so excruciatingly annoying I just couldn’t be bothered. It might be that this turns into a decent story, but I just couldn’t face anymore of the Troll.
Jack
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lousy cover lousy book
Steven Brown
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a hot mess with stilted and herky-jerky storytelling.

The authors I feel needed some honest beta readers and readers needed some honest reviews.

I haven't struggled to review a book in a long while. I don't want to sound rude or dismiss the passion of any writer who is willing to put their ideas down on paper for the world to see. At the same time, I would be remiss if I did not say READER BEWARE! All that glitters is not gold.

Okay that was a tad melodramatic however in
Per Gunnar
I decided to have a go at this series since it is stated that it is co-authored by Michael Anderle who’s The Kurtherian Gambit series I like quite a lot. I suspect that most of the writing has been done by Martha R. Carr though and Michael Anderle may have worked more as a consultant. As far as I am concerned the book is not as good as the ones that I have read which are written by Michael Anderle himself. It is still an enjoyable read though.

The story is yet another variation of the
Sooziemac McLaughlin
I plowed through these books like a troll through Voodoo Doughnuts, like a Light Elf through a barrel of knock off Costco Cheetos. This series may well be "Fellowship of the Ring" for the digital age. ....
It's got everything! Magic, Magical Creatures, Tentacles, Texas!
Battles between the Dark and the Light.
Evil Duplicitous Beings, otherwise known as ..... Politicians.
I believe that this series is a treatise on the current debate between the NRA (the Dark mist) and children of our c
Elaina Myers
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new exciting universe and main character!

After reading most of the books in the Kurtherian universe, I decided to try this one as it came up as a recommendation for me at the end of another Kindle book. I am so glad I did!

More cursing than I usually care for, but it is totally worth it, sometimes laugh / snort out loud funny (the trolls name! I may have to get a mug :), and it is not as much as in Kurtherian Gambit book 1, by a long shot. I wouldn't mention it, but I know my sister-
Frank Bertino
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Detective, a Troll, and an Elf Walked Into a Bar ....

Leira Berens, an Austin homicide detective, is coming to grips with the fact that she might not be entirely human. She is tracking down the murderer of an elvin Prince for the Light Elves. I like leira's character. She is beautiful, strong, determined, and capable. Bert, Leira's name for him, has been sent to help and watch over her. By the way, he looks great without his shirt. Humor mixed with danger abound as Leira trips her awakenin
Kim
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Waking Magic: The Revelations of Oriceran is my introduction to Oricera and I am captivated. I was drawn into Leira's story, a detective who suddenly discovers that her "hallucinations" are real and so is the world on the other side. She's pulled into a homicide with mere days within which to solve it or the evidence will be lost and so will the culprit.

As her investigation proceeds, Leira begins to see the scope of consequences if she should fail in her quest. As she spends time wit
Shelly Roke
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oohhh, the ending!!!

Leira is awesome and her new buddy Yum#$ck, a normally 5 inch troll. The Prince of the Light Elves was killed and she is now being paired with Bert. The human that killed the Prince was brought into Oriceran by a very unexpected group. And that group has been duped. All of this leads to problems both on Earth and Oriceran. Add the Silver Griffons, an Earth based magical SWAT team, and the killer who is non-magical and now wearing the artifact he stole (the whole reason he was
Jeff Hildebrand
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book and I am going to buy the next one. If I could give half stars, I'd give it 4.5. A couple times the flow kind of stalled I had to go back and re-read a part to get it. Though that might be due to the huge amount of world building the author managed to fit into the book. For example, I had to re-read the bowling alley scene as it kind of jumped when the author introduced a whole new set of characters. I think the world building was done well. I think the main character is both witty ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Black Magic Shadows (Discord Jones #5)
  • Death's Daughter (Realm Walker, #2)
  • Glow: The Revelations of Oriceran (The Fairhaven Chronicles, #1)
  • The Severed Thread (Abigail Lassiter, #1)
  • Stealth Magic 401 (Hellkitten Chronicles, #4)
  • A Cold Day in Hell (Hellcat, #3)
  • Dealing With the Dead (The Thompson Agency, #1)
  • Double-Sided Witch (Covencraft, #3)
  • Saving Ciaran (Outcasts, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Hell's Belle, #2)
  • Who Needs Enemies
  • Cold Hard Steele (Daggers & Steele, #2)
  • Quinn's Gambit (AURA, #1)
  • Azuri Fae (Caledonia Fae, #2)
  • Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2)
Okay, I'm a late bloomer who's a big DC comics fan and spent my childhood summers on the Jersey shore but I was born under a wandering star and have lived in different parts of America ever since. That's enough about me. Need to feel inspired today? Looking for something to make you root for an ordinary hero? I'm all about that in everything I write.

I love a good tale that makes me won

The Leira Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Release Of Magic (The Leira Chronicles #2)
  • Protection of Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #3)
  • Rule of Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #4)
  • Dealing in Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #5)
  • Theft of Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #6)
  • Enemies of Magic (The Leira Chronicles, #7)
  • Guardians Of Magic: The Revelations of Oriceran (The Leira Chronicles, #8)
  • Justice Served Cold (Rewriting Justice, #1)
  • Vengeance Served Hot (Rewriting Justice #2)
  • Bounty Hunter Inc (Rewriting Justice #3)