Start by marking “Esemtu Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Esemtu Vol. 1

Esemtu Vol. 1

Three university students get tangled up in a mystery murder. However, they realize that they’ll have to open their minds to the supernatural to solve this case. Soon, they find themselves dragged into a magic world of fantastic creatures, gods, demons and immortals, that will change their lives forever.
Join them in their thrilling adventure to uncover the ancient secrets
ebook, 1, 128 pages
Published July 12th 2018 by self-published

To ask other readers questions about Esemtu Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esemtu Vol. 1

Start your review of Esemtu Vol. 1
Marian Woodward
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel starts with atraditional crime plot but then produces more and more fantastic elements which are based on Sumerian mythology. The mythological context is well researched and lots of additional information can be found on their website www.esemtu.com.

The characters are very relatable, I especially liked Izzy who forms a strong bond with Ethan and David. She alos contributes a lot of information and know-how to the discovery of Ahmed's murder.

I liked the art style which shows a
Reni Hawle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Esemtu Vol. 1. It has classical detective elements of a murder hunt as well as the start of a promising fantasy plot based on Sumerian mythology.
Raph's art style is as great as always - I've been a fan of her drawings for years (@raphodraws ) - with this book she really achieved someting special!!
There's a bad cliffhanger at the end and I pray that volume 2 will come out soon.
Pandaduh
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really delightful graphic novel and a great way to learn about Sumerian gods. I've read the Epic of Gilgamesh in the past, but have not necessarily understood the pantheon of gods mentioned. This story made me want to learn more and drew off the myths in surprising ways. The artwork is fantastic and the pace of the story is never dull.

Throughout the pages you learn that there are ancient statues and the guardians of those statues, who have touched them, can see the demons who influenc
Ellie Mitchell
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today, I’m reviewing my first graphic novel, ESEMTU. Set in Vienna, Austria, this beautifully illustrated graphic novel follows three university students (Ethan, Isabella, and Dave) as an ancient Sumerian mystery unravels around them.

After an Iraq refugee confides in Dave about an ancient artefact he brought out of the country, said refugee (Ahmed) is found dead on campus. An investigation soon ensues between the three uni students. Could someone have killed to gain possession of the ancient art
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to the author for sending me my first graphic novel ever, all the way from Germany! I had so much fun reading through the book!

Three university students (Izzy, Ethan, and Dave) get mixed up in a murder and investigation involving Sumerian artifacts. It was cool to learn a little bit about that mythology while also having great illustrations to draw it out in front of my eyes at the same time. I definitely like the illustrations as well, I mean look at the characters! My imagina
Jacob Rundle
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this graphic novel! The characters were well presented and realistic. Karin did a fantastic job capturing the essence of the story with the emotions in each panel. Now, I have always loved graphic novels and comic books, so this format was ingenious. The dialogues were well written. I was truly emersed in this world of murder, mystery, demons, and gods.
The artistic showcase was AMAZING. I highly suggest this novel for everyone.
I strongly grade this graphic novel a 5/5.
Axellesbooks
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
In Esemtu, three students are somehow involved in a mysterious murder. They discover that there's a possibility the murderer is supernatural and not human.
This graphic novel was so enjoyable, loved reading it because the art work is stunning in my opinion! Swipe the picture to see it! I love it when a graphic novel doesn't has busy drawings if you understand what I mean.
The Sumerian mythology was an interesting part of the story and I loved that.
However, the students haven't met each o
Permanently_Booked
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Who is your Sumerian patron deity?

My patron deity is Ereshkigal the Goddess of the Underworld. Sumerian mythology is considered one of the oldest mythologies that exist today. I learned that worshippers believed statues depicting the deities could call the attention of the deity or even house their powers. Needless to say Ereshkigal did not have many statues depicting her. I think I’m siding with that notion. Though I wouldn’t mind being the first to explore Abzu, the primeval sea. From merfolk
Rachel
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first graphic novels I have ever read or reviewed, so being my first I prayed that I would like it. Well, what can I say, I really enjoyed it! The illustration was fantastic the whole way through and the story was just as good and I found myself completely engaged throughout.

Esemtu Vol. 1 follows three University students, Ethan, Isabella and Dave, each is studying different subjects, in Vienna. Dave’s refugee friend is murdered, but not before ancient artefacts are stolen from him.
Michi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the graphic novel! The art is absolutely amazing and the characters are so lovable that I just devoured it in one afternoon. I love how the story lines combine. There are these three students from Austria and the UK who get to know each other and become friends, there is the murder mystery and then there is the part involving Sumerian mythology. They are entwined really well and create a Harry-Potter-like parallel world that could actually exist in ours. This really shows how carefully th ...more
Cassidee Lanstra
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received Esemtu, a graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed it. The topic of mythology in a graphic novel was refreshing for me. As someone that loves learning various mythologies, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Sumerian mythology is considered the oldest mythology. This means that most of the mythologies that we know are derivative of the Sumerian. Our characters are faced with a mystery of artifacts that are being sought after, and the deaths surrounding the ...more
Esmée D'Costa
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
“ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚗 𝙶𝚘𝚍𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚌𝚛𝚞𝚎𝚕.” - 𝙴𝚂𝙴𝙼𝚃𝚄, 𝚅𝚘𝚕. 𝟷

~ a big thank you to Karin Springer for providing me with a copy of Esemtu in exchange for my honest review ~

𝘌𝘴𝘦𝘮𝘵𝘶 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘱𝘩𝘪𝘤 𝘯𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 3 𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳. 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘶𝘱 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘶𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘨𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘺𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘮𝘶𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘭𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘦.

I was really excited to re
Jinghay (these.blank.pages)
I absolutely loved reading this & I'm very thankful to Karin Springer for sending me volume 1 of her beautiful graphic novel! (thank you! ❤️)

'𝘌𝘚𝘌𝘔𝘛𝘜' 𝘧𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 (𝘌𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯, 𝘐𝘴𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘢 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘋𝘢𝘷𝘦), 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘶𝘱 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘮𝘶𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘺𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘺. 𝘏𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘴𝘰𝘰𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘦, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘨𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴, 𝘨𝘰𝘥𝘴, 𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘴...

- - -

— 𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘 📖

This graphic novel in
Escapereality
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you for my copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review.

Esemtu was a fun graphic novel with a pretty straight forward story. I feel that it could of been a little longer and complexity added to both the story and the characters. The characters were introduced in the beginning but I feel their friendship was not developed as well.

I found the artwork and the story to be entertaining but not to memorable. The story was simple and to the point. There was a lot of information o
Kristi
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The Sumerian mythology is the oldest we can trace and has influenced more or less all European and Western Asian religions directly or indirectly"
-- Esemtu, Vol. 1

Esemtu Volume 1 by Karin Springer is a fast paced and thought-provoking graphic novel that follows three University students in Vienna who join forces when they come across a mysterious murder connected to Sumerian artifacts. As they investigate, it becomes clear that there is something most suspicious about the murder and its connec
Evy
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Now, to the important stuff. This was the first graphic novel I have ever read and I am SO FREAKING GLAD THAT I DID! It had all the things that I like in books - mystery, fantasy, friendship, history and mythology. It also had some other awesome things, such as diversity, a range of characters that were all pretty different and distinct, and lots of humor. I enjoyed this one a lot!

SPOILER-FREE SUMMARY
Three university student
Sara Zaninelli
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all the art style is absolutely beautiful! Moreover I really enjoyed the mystery murder even if I had guessed who the assassin was. The world is linked to Sumerian mythology and this is really the most interesting part; I had never read anything about it and it has been great to learn something new. Of course there’s a cliffhanger and I’m really looking forward to the second volume.

I really got attached to the characters, in particular to Isabella who finds out her family has a very imp
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t really do graphic novels, but glad I gave it a chance. It was a bit dry to start off with, then again its gotta set the story, set the characters. Once it got going, it really explored different aspects of the history involved in the story.

The graphics were really good, nothing too out there. Straight to the point.

(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the Authors. Does not affect my review)
Paige
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
This was a really great introduction to a graphic novel series!

Esemtu volume 1 follows three students who all get rolled up together almost by fate.
Together they begin to work a crime case after a mysterious incident.

The three students, Ethan, Dave and Isabella all gel together very well and have very individual and interesting personalities. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the characters and their relationships develop.

Esemtu also brings to life the world of Sumerian mythology, which
Ceylan (CeyGo)
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The story revolves around the mysterious death of a refugee in Austria and the three friends who are trying to solve the murder, and ties in mythological themes as well.

Also I have to stay the look and feel of the book, and the quality of the print is really nice too!

I’m looking forward to the sequel and where the story goes next.

Book rating : ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Cover rating : 4 star 🌟 🌟🌟🌟
Kera (featherboundbooks)
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three college student try to ascertain the truth around the death of a man who was supposed to be selling a very ancient Sumerian artifact. Police rule it natural causes, but these three friends feel like foul play was involved due to the missing artifacts. They follow the clues to learn the truth, which is bigger than any of them imagined.

While all of this is happening, they discover that touching one of these artifacts gives one of them the special sight to see strange and wonderful things goi
Sam
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
**I received a copy of this graphic novel from the author in exchange of a review. All opinions are my own**

I love learning about all different backgrounds of mythology, so picking this graphic novel up was very exciting. I’ve never actually read anything about Sumerian mythology, this was a first, but I’m very interested in learning more.
This book started off with things moving very fast and I was a bit confused. But it slowed down a bit as it kept going and the pieces fell together very well.
Kym's Open Books
This graphic novel takes you on a wild, adventurous ride with college students trying to solve a murder. They find themselves immersed in Sumerian mythology and a world of gods and demons.
The beautiful illustrations bring you into the suspense, danger and intrigue. It’s easy to get lost in the story and root for the characters. I loved the mythological side and the connection with current events. It made it feel more real but magical also. It’s a fast-paced, easy read that almost anyone can enj
Katelyn
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC for a review.

When a friend dies under mysterious circumstances after selling a statue of an ancient Sumerian god, a group of college students find themselves caught up in an investigation to prove he was murdered. They refuse to believe his heart simply gave out, but the truth is more fantastic than they could have guessed, and searching for the real villain will put their own lives at risk. The world isn’t as it seems and some gods may be real after all.

Since this is a graphic
Reading_is_my_yoga
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"And daily he orbits the Earth in his ship with eyes so sharp and his light penetrates mist and darkness."
~
I received this wonderful graphic novel for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you again, It was a really awesome read in combination with amazing art. The illustrations are beautiful.
~
It's about three university students who stumble upon a murder and some Sumerian artefacts. They try to find out who murdered their acquaintance and who took his family heirlooms. Th
Incredible  Opinions
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you @esemtu_author for sending me this beautifully illustrated novel in exchange for an honest review.

It has been a while since I read my last graphic novel and “Esemtu” is like a breath of fresh air. It is a story of three university students Dave, Isabelle and Ethan. Their friend, Ahmed, is murdered in suspicious circumstances and they try to investigate the murder even when the police rules it out as a natural death by heart attack. The story gets really interesting when the supernatura
Siobhan - she, her
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
**TW**
This book contains details of murder, death and mentions refugees (I mention this TW as I know some refugees may feel uncomfortable reading about refugees because of personal experiences and it can set off PTSD). If a sensitive reader this book may not be for you.

Esemtu is the first graphic novel I've ever read! And my! It's like reading and watching a short film! It's so darned cool!!

Esemtu follows three university students who find themselves in the middle of a murder investigation. Look
Meg
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love graphic novels so when I was approached with the prospect of reading and reviewing a graphic novel featuring college age protagonists trying to solve a murder mystery involving Sumerian gods and rare precious artifacts, I jumped at the chance. I'm so glad I did! This was a fun, fast paced graphic novel I couldn't put down. Needless to say, I finished it in one go.
The backdrop is Vienna and our three college students are thrown into the adventure of their lives when a murder occurs involv
Destiny Bridwell
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I receive a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have been reading more graphic novels. This is the first in a series. When the death of a friend being three college students together to prove that he did not died from just his heart stopping. They knew that something else is going on and it is fair deeper and more sinister then they could have ever thought. There is mythology Sumerian and it is something that I was happy to have more introduction to since it is not a mythology one ...more
Irishbookmammy
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A graphic novel following 3 young people brought together by a gruesome murder which seems supernatural in nature or at least in motivation. This graphic novel is an easy read but does lack a bit of character development and misses the rapport building between the main characters. I feel a little background or origin stories would have been good. The concept is great surrounding secret orders, immortal kings and sumerian gods. I think it's a good start to a series but needs more character depth ...more

• The Songbook of Benny Lament
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Willoughby's World of Wonder
  • Der Heimweg
  • Madame Vampire
  • Dawn of a Legend (The Silvan #3)
  • Deadpool, Volume 1: Secret Invasion
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • The Undead King of New York City
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Whatever Happens
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Last Seen Alive
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • Monkey Man
  • Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More
  • The After Days
In 2017 Karin Springer teamed up with her younger daughter Raphi to create a graphic novel around Sumerian mythology. The first volume of the Esemtu series was published in June 2019.

Born 1969 in Vienna, Austria and a book lover from an early age onwards she studied German and English language and literature at the university of Vienna to become a teacher and an author.

As life goes, when she had