Start by marking “Anything But His Soul: A Holocaust Memoir” as Want to Read:
Anything But His Soul: A Holocaust Memoir

Anything But His Soul: A Holocaust Memoir

Meeting his brother in Auschwitz, he understood that they are all alone

A young boy’s world falls apart! He can trust no one and does not know what his tomorrow holds or if he will live to see it.

Poland 1944, Mjetek finds himself in Auschwitz after taking part in Zionist underground activities trying to fight against the Nazi occupation of Warsaw. He meets his brother a

Published March 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Anything But His Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything But His Soul

Jessica Bronder
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Mjetek Bomberg’s survival of World War II. Mjetek grew up in Poland and watched as the antisemitism blazed through his home country. He relates how him and his family found themselves in the ghetto then send to the concentration camps. Mjetek was separated from his family but when he got to Auschwitz he meets his brother and learns that the rest of his family have been killed. But that meeting was short lived as they were separated and his brother was killed. But an accident ...more
Beverly Laude
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short book relates the story of Mjetek Bomberg's life during WWII. Mjetek and his family are Jews living in Poland when German troops invade their homeland. The horrors of family separations, terrors and horrendous living conditions both in the Ghetto and later in the Concentration Camps is told from his viewpoint.

I am glad that Mjetek's grandson was able to compile his story and publish it. I truly believe that if we do not remember the horrors of the past, we are destined to relive them.
Missy Ivey
I love memoirs, and I especially love memoirs from survivors of the Holocaust! This was an awesome little read that fulfills a Literary Passport Reading Challenge (POLAND).

Mjetek Bomberg’s story is a personal account of his amazing survival during World War II. Although he mentions his family, he can't tell their stories because he was separated from them early on and doesn't know their story of how they perished. You will find a picture of him on the last page of the book, and a few other pict
Grady
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable contribution to the memory of a Holocaust survivor

Aviva Hershko has allowed the world to enter the life of grandfather Moshe Mjetek Bomberg through his tapes of his life and experience during the Holocaust and afterward by transferring the spoken remembrances to the written word. The result – a hauntingly sensitive story of the Holocaust that reminds us of the agony and transformed lives of the survivors.

Born almost one hundred years ago, in 1920, Poland, Mjetek survived the horror
A Steven  Bouchard
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Answers to many of my questions.

A five star review because it deserves ten stars. Very well written, a page-turner with a great deal of specifics. As a Catholic raised in America I always wondered how how people survived and wondered about "after" the war. Sadly, Anti-Semitism is "alive and well" around the world. And getting worse! It is the educated that will ban racism, religious hate and quiet the ignorant. This book does a great job describing Anti-Semitism and the ignorance that it grows f
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart-rending and thought-provoking read...

Each Holocaust survivor has a unique and individual story. However, these survivor’s stories didn’t end in 1945. They continue through to the present day. Their testimonies provide us with an understanding of how the events of the Holocaust have shaped their lives and are an ongoing testimony to the strength of the human spirit.

Anything But His Soul by Moshe (Mjetek) Bomberg is a powerful and inspirational story about two brothers reunited in a death
Katie
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Jewish Survivor

I read many of the stories because I worry that someday the world will "forget" the horrors of the holocaust. I found Mjetek's story strangely uplifting in spite of the sadness that moved me to tears.
We owe it to both the survivors and those who were murdered by the nazi regime to make sure that they and their families are NEVER FORGOTTEN. We must teach our children, grandchildren and future generations the horrible truth of what happened to European Jews at the hands of the na
Dianne McMahan
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True Book

A very interesting book about one man's journey through the Holocaust and after.
He finally was able to emigrate to Israel,where he lived with his wife and raised two children.
This book Will be hard to read at times,because it puts you right there,but it will sure make you count your blessings,I know it did me.

Albert Randolph
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of Anything but His Soul

This memoir was moving. The author’s voice was sincere, while he wrote of his difficulties with touching restraint. The reader could imagine much between the lines.
Lynn Mcgilvray-saltzman
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story of horror and ultimate survival.

For such a short book , it was packed with information. I only missed not hearing more of the author's family life before and after the Shoah. Despite that, one can only marvel at how he was able to survive. Very well written.
Johnny
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Each time I read the stories of those who survived the Holocaust, I am amazed. This story is no exception. It was captivating and kept me turning the pages until I had read it in one sitting .
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible

The author shared a very personal aspect of his life. I think he kept back his emotion much better than I would have been able too. I recommend this personal story. It is rare to hear from male survivors especially the hardships they faced to start over.
Derryl Wheeler
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hits highlights

Related a little dispassionately. Good for those who prefer retelling of events minus much of the but-wrenching emotion. Yet, heartbreak not so well disguised. Is Mjetek still alive? Another survival miracle!I

Vivian Allen
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First-Hand Account of Holocaust

This was an interesting account of one man’s journey through the holocaust. Books like this will never let us forget the suffering during that period of time.
Brock Lundahl
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was an uplifting holocaust memoir. Rich descriptions help tell this story and I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Sidney Cromer
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Very well written and interesting book on the plight of Polish Jews and the story of the author during WWII. Highly recommend this book
Susan Campbell
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving, interesting account, well written

Heartbreaking story of survivors of this terrible period of history. Well written and hard to put down. The world should never forget
Holly Wall
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Wonderful book It is so unbelievable the atrocities these people had to endure but also inspiring. Their strength ,endurap and faith is remarkable
Teresa Roy -Sheppard
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book !

Historical , sad , well written book . Brave man who endured more than anyone should have to , these stories of these atrocities need to be told
Carol Goulet
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
WWII Memories

So many today do not believe things that happen during WWII. I find it heart breaking but also .edu ational
Joy  Cagil
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of memoir that tears at one’s heart. It is the story of bravery, resilience and endurance in Warsaw during World War II. The memoir is published by Author Aviva Hershko, the grandson of Moshe (Mjetek) Bomberg, with the hope that “reading this book will encourage others to ensure that atrocities of this kind will never happen again.”

Aviva Hershko’s grandfather didn’t like to talk about his experiences as most of the survivors of that time chose to do, but he left a recording to h
roselea laufenberg