Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)

Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel

(Mrs. Jeffries #38)

When a wealthy widow is murdered, Mrs. Jeffries investigates what happens when money can't buy your life in this all- new installment in the beloved Victorian Mystery series.

Margaret Starling wasn't the sort of woman anyone expected to be murdered. She was on the advisory board of the London Angel Alms Society, an active member of St. Peter's Church and, best of all, she
Published September 24th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel

Start your review of Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)
Julie
Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angels by Emily Brightwell is a 2019 Berkley publication.

This is my first book in this long running series. I have often wondered about it, but of course the sheer volume of installments gave me pause. However, it was my understanding that this is one of those series which does not require one to read them in exact order. So, I dived right in to this 38th installment, and found the author provided enough background information for me to get the gist of the
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first introduction to the Mrs. Jeffries series at number 38, and while I know I’ve missed out on the development of the characters over the years, there was enough backstory to fill things in for me well enough that I enjoyed this charming cozy. You can’t help but love Mrs. Jeffries and admire her devotion to her job. I also loved that the book was set during Christmas. It added a festive spirit and the cover fit with that well. Overall, I would definitely recommend this to fans of ...more
Brenda -Traveling Sister
I don't normally read cozy mysteries but I have a few on my TBR list thanks to Elisha from Berkley Pub, who sends me quite a few. I am now just catching up on a few of them and I am jumping in on book 38 of this series. The mystery here stands on its own and does work as a stand-alone. I think reading more in the series would enhance the connection to the characters.

The mystery starts off with a bang and we get right to the murder mystery and the dynamics between the characters. I enjoyed
Cathy Daniel
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is the first one I've read in this long series and I wasn't lost at all. It stands alone fine. This book reminded me of a classic detective story. We had clues laid out for the reader and it was a lot of fun figuring out The whodunnit with the characters! I look forward to reading more.
Minx
Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel is the thirty-eighth book in the Mrs. Jeffries series and it is just as delightful as I was expecting. In this story, Mrs. Jeffries and crew are up against a mystery that makes zero sense because from all appearances their victim, Margaret Starling, is not the kind of woman anyone would set out to harm but harmed she was in a murder most gruesome. To make things worse, this murder has taken place outside of Inspector Witherspoon’s jurisdiction but he has ...more
Susan
Inspector Witherspoon has an unsurpassed record for solving murders, but neither he nor his superiors realize that that's because his household staff investigate parallel to the regular police investigations, and his housekeeper Mrs. Jeffries weighs all the evidence to arrive at the killer. The hard part is often managing to convince the Inspector that he thought of the criminal all by himself. Margaret Starling, a charitable and wealthy woman, seems like an odd victim, but when the Inspector ...more
Kalendra Dee
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
These are delightful. They’re quick reads and the characters have been developed over the course of the series. In this 38th entry, Inspector Witherspoon’s household staff spring into action to help him find a murderer after a woman is brutally murdered in her own back garden. They soon become enmeshed in a local charity that may have been the cause of the woman’s death.
Natasha
Hard to believe this is book thirty eight. This was one of the best in the series so far. A murder of a wealthy widow just before Christmas,means the household is busy gathering clues and preparing for the holidays. This mystery had me two people could have done it and l normally figure out the bad guy or girl pretty quick in this series. It's a quick read l had the book done in one afternoon.
Smitten
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars - Top Pick

Inspector Witherspoon and Constable Barnes are called to the murder scene of the wealthy Margaret Starling who is found murdered in her own garden. Mrs. Starling’s home is actually in the district of the inept Inspector Nigel Nivens, but with Witherspoon’s record for solving murders, the higher-ups at Scotland Yard want Witherspoon on the case. Part of Witherspoon’s success is because of the assistance he receives from members of his household and close friends help gather
Christy
Oct 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This series is one of my favorites. I feel like the staff in Inspector Witherspoon's household are family. I didn't start reading the series with book one, so I found out some things about the relationships in the series before they happened. That didn't bother me a bit because they're just so good. I did later go back and start with book one, but I still haven't read them all! So many books so little time. I say all of that to tell you this...even if you haven't read any of the books in the ...more
Drebbles
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
At first glance, the brutal murder of Margaret Starling is puzzling – she seemed well-liked and respected. But as Inspector Gerald Witherspoon and Constable Barnes begin to investigate the murder, they find out that not everyone liked her and she may have been asking questions that made somebody very uncomfortable. With plenty of suspects, Witherspoon has his work cut out for him if he wants to solve this case by Christmas. Lucky for him, he has the help of his faithful household staff and ...more
The Hobbit
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Starling heard her cat meowing outside. It was already dark, but Gladstone had been missing all day. WhenMargaret ventured outside to find her cat, that was the last thing she did! The next morning, one of her servants found her outside on the ground, bludgeoned in the head and frozen. Inspector Witherspoon was assigned to the case even though it was out of his district. The incompetent Inspector Nivens of that district was not pleased and vowed to do all he could to impede ...more
Linda
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I read any of the Mrs. Jeffries series...............I have missed it.

When Detective Witherspoon is called out on a murder outside of his own district It becomes harder to do his job because the local head of police resents being replaced. He is not willing to give Witherspoon a hand, in fact he does everything he can to thwart the solving of the murder by anyone but himself. When Witherspoon's staff and friends get involved though they certainly won't let the
Debbie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
This book is a historical mystery set in England in the 1890's. It's the thirty-eighth book in a series. You don't need to read the previous books to understand this one, and this book didn't spoil the whodunit of the previous books. The story wasn't heavily historical, though there were enough details to provide a historical feel. The characters were engaging and realistic, though not highly complex.

It's a clue-based puzzle mystery. The main characters asked good questions and followed up on
Robin Kahler
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I love this series and always look forward to the next book, but this one was a major dissapointment. I think it was ghost written, too many undone alleys to have been a true Emily Brightwell. Won't give away the ending, but I knew who did it before the ending of the 1st chapter. Where is the follow through on Wiggin's new romance? I was looking forward to that. AND then Barnes checking into a detail that went totally out the window, I think a chapter is missing.
This one left me sad. BUT hey,
Kimberly Ann
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Once again Mrs Jeffries & the staff covertly help Inspector Witherspoon bring a murder to justice.

When the neighborhood busybody is found in her garden dead, with her head bashed in there were no lack of suspects... The suspicions fall upon the members of the London Angel Alms Society & the local Vicar all who have secrets....

After some investigation by the staff it is discovered that dead woman was investigating the discrepancies of incoming & reported Alms.

A quick and easy read.
Carol M.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent addition to the Mrs Jeffries series! As always, I enjoyed catching up with the characters. Their lives are fascinating to follow and the twists and turns of this clever narrative kept me guessing. Ms Brightwell keeps the balance between the Inspector and the helpful staff interesting while laying out the investigation in a mysterious yet organized manner. Loved this story and look forward to the next one!!
Marie McNary
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is like a good cup of tea – warm, comforting, and sure to leave you in a good mood. The Inspector’s personality is shown more in this book and I enjoyed getting to see a little more depth behind this beloved character. I always look forward to new installments of this series. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the next one – they never disappoint!

Vintagebooklvr
The book has an easy flow to it and you are done before you know it. Half the fun of these books is reading the developing relationship between these characters. This one does not disappoint. Plus, it is a decent mystery. I was surprised to find Inspector Witherspoon recognized that his rival was trying to undermine his investigation and even reported him. Half the time, in the past, he didn't even seem to realize Nivens was actively trying to sabotage him.
Linda B
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Jeffries and her staff and some friends solve murders. They use clues, deduction and lots of investigating. This was a fun read as the group had many leads and characters to follow while trying to solve the mystery of how/why a woman was murdered with a shovel in her back yard late at night while her staff was at a play. Love the time period and watching the proceedings.
Sharron Schmuck-Johnson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Inspector Witherspoon is coming into his own! The gang is doing well in assisting him without his knowledge and Barnes is always on the spot. A few holding your breath moments, but everything comes together in the end! One of the best in the series as the characters continue to grow into their strengths! She’s produced another winner!
C Campfield
Jul 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Its Victorian charm only adds to the richness of its characters. Good plot twists. Emily Brightwells writing style is certainly that of a good cozy mystery. I look forward to reading her other titles.
Mary Foster
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feels Like Family

I enjoy this unlikely but spirited series, and after so many years it feels as if I know the characters personally. This one pointed the reader pretty clearly to the guilty party, but it’s still fun to read.
Elizabeth
This was an outstanding mystery! Very well done and I was on the edge of my seat through the entire book.

This was a fun Christmas mystery!

This author does a great job with historical details and nuance.

I love these characters and the time period. I am going to read this entire series.
Stacy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An early Christmas read that was a wonderful palate cleanser after finishing Atlas Shrugged. It's almost Christmas and once again the Inspector has been assigned to a murder case that gets the household out and investigating. Their old nemesis Inspector Nivens is peeved that he didn't get the case and does his utmost to cause trouble. The whodunit was surprisingly easy to figure out but it was still lovely to spend time with everyone.
Theresa Phillips
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read from this series. I plan to read them all! Has everything one could want in a mystery, interesting characters, vivid scenes, and a plot that keeps the reader guessing. It is what a Victorian mystery should be.
Diane
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Our whole family enjoys the Mrs. Jeffries series, but this outing lacked the usual warmth and charm. Luty and Hatchett barely sparred/competed. Wiggins and Betsy?? Only a brief godchild scene. You get the picture.
C.A.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Witherspoon, yet another Christmas time murder, AND it's not in his district, but rather the one overseen by nemesis Nivens. Still, our favorite inspector knows his duty and goes to find the killer of Margaret Starling. A rich window who, as of late, had several conflicts with friends and colleagues, the inspector has quite a few suspects. Leave it to Mrs. Jeffries to get the whole thing settled before Christmas Eve. If only all murders were resolved with such haste.
Carol
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Waited a long time for this book and it didn't disappoint me. Just a fun read.
Csimplot Simplot
Excellent book!

• A Merry Murder (A Special Pennyfoot Hotel Myst Book 10)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • A Killer Carol (An Amish Mystery #7)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • Murder in the Corn Maze (A Granny Reid Mystery #2)
  • Mumbo Gumbo Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery #16)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Murder at Crossways (Gilded Newport Mysteries #7)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery Book 3)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, ...more

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)