Start by marking “Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words” as Want to Read:
Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words

Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words

In this fun, interactive game of hide-and-seek, young children learn all about positional prepositions. Bear, Fox and Owl are playing hide-and-seek in a woodland playground. They each take a turn counting to ten, then shouting ?Ready or not, here I come!? When Fox finds Bear INSIDE the castle and Owl ON the slide, Bear hugs Fox and Owl. When Owl spots Bear BEHIND the ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Hide-and-Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide-and-Seek

Start your review of Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words
La Coccinelle
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is a cute picture book that teaches positional prepositions while telling the story of three animal friends playing hide-and-seek. The premise is strong, and the concepts are pretty clear. Each time a character hides, the others go looking for them UNDER, BESIDE, INSIDE, OVER, etc. The illustrations clearly show the meaning of each of those words.

The pictures are simple, but cute and effective. I think the main issue I have with this book is that there appears to be a page missing. Each of
Etienne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very simple book, but perfectly done and I have a lot of good things to say about it. First, it help kids learn new vocabulary, mostly focusing on position words. It also present a good model of friendship and social ability while paying. It can also be use has a search and find, so your child can find the animal before the characters of the story. It also contains number from 1 to 10, so again you can teach your kid to count. So a lot of things to learn from it. A good educative ...more
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Kids Can Press and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Wow. This was so good for a few reason. It was fun. It was easy to follow. It teaches children what positional prepositions are and it is really very cute. I love how they give each other hugs once they have been found while playing hide-and-seek. It's very loving and comforting and that adds such a nice touch to this book. The illustrations are colourful and basic yet
Liz
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much Netgalley for having me review this book. It was such a joy to share this book with my little one. Plus it gave an approach to educating kids on position words. Overall, I recommend this to parents who are teaching their children for the first time, plus this was such a fun book.
RJ
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great concept and execution, and oh my GOODNESS it's so sweet. I ALSO want to play a game of hide-and-seek in which you hug the hider every time you find them!!
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hide-and-Seek is the only First Book of Position Words youll ever need, and definitely the cutest.

Join three friendsBear, Owl, and Foxas they play Hide-and-Seek at a playground in the woods. Using the slide, swings, and trees, R. D. Ornot deftly weaves the prepositions into their game. The position words fit the story naturally, without seeming forced. A climbing wall, a bench, a tunnel, and a bridge provide more hiding places for their game.

Hide-and-Seek with Bear, Owl, and Fox is polite and
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very simple book, but done well. It has simple sentences, colourful pictures, a fun message about playing with friends and teaches about positional prepositions. The premise is strong, and the concepts are clear. Each time a character hides, the others go looking for them UNDER, BESIDE, INSIDE, OVER, etc. The illustrations clearly show the meaning of each of those words, so beginning readers would be able to use picture clues to help decode the new vocabulary. My three year old ...more
Mandi Murphy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, arc, 2019
I've noticed that a lot of board books are way too long for the little guys that would benefit most from them. I liked the short, simple sentences in this one. I was thrilled with it as a possible addition to our board book collection (I'm not even sure it's going to be a board book) until the second round of hide and seek started. I think it stretches on a little too long for bitty ones. It's appropriate for the preschool crowd, though. My three year old enjoyed it. She loved finding the ...more
Amanda Sanders
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book calls itself the "first book of position words". They are all prepositions so it could also be a first book of prepositions. It is very corny and simplistic and if a teacher covering prepositions wants to use it, they can't because it is too easy and simple. The only pro of this book is teaching the meaning of the words in, out, beside, behind, etc and the pictures do not do a great job of showing those things. The 2 star rating means "it was ok" and that is the perfect description of ...more
Kristen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would use this book with the older toddlers I teach in order to help them learn their positional words. It is nice short phrases with animals as the characters and pictures that show what the meaning is of each positional word . I also think that it shows that kindness should be a common thing through the use of hugs each time they find a friend. I received an advanced readers copy of this via NetGalley.
Vonda
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fox, bear and owl play hide and seek. Where could owl be? Is he beside the slide? No, hes in the tube slide! Where is bear? Is he in front of the climbing wall? No, hes behind the climbing wall. This is a cute and gentle introduction to prepositions, perfect for toddler - preschool age. The three friends enjoy one anothers company and share hugs afterward. The illustrations are warm and endearing.

I was provided a digital ARC from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Amanda
Sometimes you just need a hug. This is the world's sweetest game of hide-and-seek! Three adorable friends, Bear, Owl, and Fox, play several rounds of Hide-and-Seek together on the playground. Each round includes the animal who is "it" counting up to ten, and then at the end of the round receiving a hug from his friends. What comfort.

You can help "seek" the friends during each round (some friends hide a little more obviously), and when things get tough, a hug waits at the end. Adorable.
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter and I have been rereading this a lot. She loves it. We have been playing hide-and-seek a lot lately so it is perfect for her.
Bear, Fox and owl play hide-and-seek together. As they search for each other readers are introduced to the language of prepositions. There is also lots of hugging when they find each other. R. D. Ornot's artwork is endearingly charming.
Barbra
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute little picture book to help children with the ins and outs of things. While the animals play hide and seek we get great examples of what these words mean. Perfect book for Preschool to grade one.
Tara
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. This easy to read picture book includes three friends playing hide and seek and points out the position words like In, On, Out, etc.
Hannah Crull-sher
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A cute little story that uses positional words in a game of hide and seek. The illustrations are eye-catching, and the story is a perfect length for twos and threes, who are just starting to use positional words.
Victoria
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute fun story about an animal and all his friends playing a game of hide and seek in the woods. Great book for a kindergartner
Tracie
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Animals play hide-and-seek and use position words to describe the hunt.
Ann Santori
Unique concept book -- I don't think I've ever seen one like this with positioning words before, and there is rich vocabulary ('among,' 'around,' 'through') -- with cute, colorful illustrations.
Aolund
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and effective hide-and-seek concept book. Good for very young kids/babies.

Themes: Hide and Seek, Directions
Leah Horton
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simple and cute story to teach children positional prepositions. Bright and colourful illustrations, as well as simple language make this story great for younger children.
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
This is a great primer for positional prepositions.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, interactive introduction to positional prepositions.
Miss Sarah
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
A preschool and up book about friends playing hide and seek and explaining positional where they are. Cute.
Libros Happy Sany
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hide and seek es un libro interactivo basado en el juego tan conocido del mismo nombre y al que todos hemos jugado alguna vez.

Reseña completa en: https://libroshappy.org/hide-and-seek...
Olga Barnes
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is a very cute book that will resonate well with young children. Besides positional words, this book offers counting and a familiar game of hide and seek. And, of course, the hugs are always appreciated!
Pitshou Atamu
Robin
Jan 11, 2020
Kathryn
Dec 26, 2019

• One Is a Lot (Except When It's Not)
  • The Couch Potato
  • No Room for a Pup!
  • One Wild Christmas
  • The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson's Famous Frozen Treat
  • Le jardin de Jaco
  • The Awfulizer
  • Sulwe
  • The Trouble with Time Travel

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »