Start by marking “Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day” as Want to Read:
Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day

Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day

Are you being consumed by never-ending to-do lists? Are you working harder and enjoying less? Seeking Slow provides simple ways for you to slow down and reconnect with yourself, your family, and your surroundings—while finding joy in doing so.

If daily life feels too busy and hectic, it's time to discover the beauty of slow living. Being fully present and intent
Published September 24th 2019 by Rock Point

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Slow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Slow

Start your review of Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day
Janet
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

When you don't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

Lauren Paletta
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seeking slow is a refreshing take on trying to live a slow life. This book is full of chapters on living slowly by meditating; taking care of yourself; reusing what you can; taking the time for what is in your life already before adding more; and enjoying life more. It's so easy to speed through life and even though it is hard to slow down sometimes, it is so rewarding!
#seeking slow
#Netgalley
Fern Adams
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seeking Slow is a book looking at how you can take a step back in your life and live more mindfully in the present with more gratitude. Barnes looks at why this is important, the psychology behind it and most of all steps to take to be able to practically do this. Filled with gorgeous photos (one of my favourite aspects of reading this) this book is the sort of volume that you would have on a coffee table to dip in and out of. An easy read but some fabulous ideas within the pages.

Jaine
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review at https://yellowmajesty.com/slow-living...

The idea of this book fascinates me. There are lots of authors out there that promote minimalism and simple living like Marie Kondo, however the style and topics they tackle are of a different genre. The Slow Living approach by Melanie Barnes is a topic that always delights me. The fact her book continues to retain my attention until the end of the book is very stunning.
Cecilia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Many thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing this ARC in return for an honest review.

This is a purely lovely book. Slow living is my thing, and even though I've been living the slow life for years now, I still found loads of interesting insights and ideas to improve my days.

Seeking Slow covers things such as the challenge of how to slow down in modern life, managing time, learning physical and mental self-care, seasonal living, and others. It is a call to step
amanda
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book? 100% my aesthetic. I have to be honest though, I had no idea slow living was a thing and kind of felt doubtful at first diving into this book but after reading it I learned about a new way of living and although I don't think all aspects of Slow Living is for me, I will try to adapt bits and pieces into my routine for some semblance of calm.
Calm is what we all need in this chaotic energy we call a world.
The visuals in this book are STUNNING and calming which is the point.
Erin
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great overview of the "slowness" movement by author Melanie Barnes. Brief essays on topics such as self-compassion, minimalism, and mindfulness offer nothing groundbreaking, but are still a great reminder of their importance. For those new to these topics, this offers a perfect introduction without overwhelming.
Christina Miranda
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Seeking Slow" provides insightful knowledge on how to navigate through life slowly, purposefully, and meaningfully. Melanie Barnes has written a beautiful book that will resonate with many, especially in a fast-paced, social media crazed, and technology-obsessed world. The graphics are stunning, as is the writing. I appreciate all of the great advice she shares and hope to instill some of it into my own life.
Ginger Hudock
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Seeking Slow is the next, of many, in the category of simplicity and slower living. This book is beautiful, with very evocative photographs on a majority of the book's pages. It is a short book (126 pages) and covers a large variety of topics including time, self care, listening to your body, a slow hot, mind and soul care, a slow home, sustainability and more. Because the author covers so many topics in a short book, she does not have much space to go into any of these in great detail.
If the r
Rather.be.reading1
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It is so hard in this day and age to "go slow" especially living in California like I do and working for a law office. Definitely will recommend this to everyone I know. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this wonderful book.
Annie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day is a new tutorial and philosophy handbook by Melanie Barnes. Released 24th Sept 2019 by Quarto on their Rock Point imprint, it's 128 pages and available in ebook and paperback formats.

Almost everyone I know has a more or less frenetic life. We race from place to place and overbook our time to the minute. Our society has become one where being a workaholic is a good thing. Most of us are overconsuming and h
Dani
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone is "busy" these days. That seems to be the fashionable response and is nearly necessary to keep up with the demands of modern life, but most often leaves us feeling stressed, unfulfilled, and like we're unable to keep up.

Seeking Slow by Melanie Barnes offers an antidote; intentional living. This beautiful book lays out ideas for how to step back from the busy and offers suggestions to incorporate slowness holistically in many facets of life. There are ideas for how to be mindful about
Ramona Mead
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My whole life, I've often felt out of place in the world because my desire to stop and smell the roses can be viewed as odd. This book was reaffirming for my life philosophies and gave me some important reminders and useful guidance for day to day living.

While I appreciate the emphasis the author places on literally slowing down, physically and mentally, this book is about much more than that! It's about mindful, intentional living. Her writing is straightforward, yet almost poetic. I love the
Danielle
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc-s
Wow! I absolutely loved Seeking Slow! I have really been trying to slow my life down, practice mindfulness, and eliminate the sense of being overwhelmed by the everyday life of being a mom to a very busy child. This book gave me the confiidence to keep going on the road to slow living. There are a lot of practices in this book that I was already doing which confirmed for me that I am on the right path. From little things like turning notifications off so that we're not constantly interrupted by ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you reflecting on your life being to busy and feeling like you cannot control your day ? This is the perfect book to slow you down and help you reorganize your life. I loved the beautiful photographs and the calming techniques the author offers from meditation to mindfulness, to resting quietly looking within to looking honestly at your schedule and what takes up your days. The author discuss openly the psychology of slowing down and the health benefits. Today's society pushes us to exceed o ...more
joyce w. laudon
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ironically, I started to read this book when I had ten minutes free before rushing off to do something. I came back again later and began to make the time to read this book and think about its messages and suggestions.

We all know that life is hectic, that many only feel okay while being productive and that it is hard to slow down. This book will help readers to think about what is important about slow living, as it helps you to understand why slow living is important. It is well wort
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile & Andrea RBK

Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day by Melanie Barnes is a thoughtful reflection on the pace of life today. The author advocates for literally slowing down to actually take in the world and humans around us. Given the subject matter, I appreciated that this isn't a lengthy read. Rather she focuses on easy to implement strategies to make this happen. Prior to reading this, I hadn't heard the term formally used, so
Doreen Prentiss Gabriellini
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book regarding living your life intentionally, savoring each moment and enjoying it. In this fast paced world we all agree we need to slow down. This book opens the door to seeking a slower more worthwhile life.
How there is joy in the simple small things. It talks about intentionally spending your days, what you spend your money on, how to spend your leisure time and what you surround yourself with. In today's world we feel that somehow being busy correlates to success. The autho
Alicia Bayer
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a short, very basic book about why you should embrace a slow life. Suggestions are given for each area (such as decluttering or embracing seasons) but they are very common ones. Most of the book is talk about why you should slow down, declutter, take care of yourself, etc. and then there is generally a page of common suggestions (don't keep your phone on you, take breaks from social media, get rid of things that don't bring you happiness, buy less, buy used...). There are some lovely pho ...more
Amber Sahlhoff
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books that are both nourishing for the soul and a treat for the eyes - and this didn’t disappoint. Melanie’s photos are beautiful and the spacious formatting makes it just such a pleasure to read. I felt the author didn’t waste words - she introduces readers to a variety of slow living concepts with bite sized practical steps. I especially found the part on technology helpful and motivating. It’s also very apparent that she has done her research- she will explain the history of a ...more
Andrea
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, arc-s
*I received this book from NetGalley on return for a honest review*

It may seem a bit funny to hear that I read this book while working out, to some the exact opposite of slow. But for me taking time to go to the gym is a part of my mindful and slow day.

This is a beautiful book, not too long but packed with so many great tidbits and tips for incorporating slow into your daily life. I love that it included more than just meditation and self-care but also had chapters on sustainability
Susan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book on goodreads. I found the cover of this book very attractive. Even though this book doesn't cover anything new in regards to the topics it covers including remembering to take care of oneself, living in the moment, listening to your body, unplugging from technology, decluttering, buying sustainable products, and recycling, it does give one a good reminder of why all these things are important. It is a short book and a fast read and does cover a lot of topics not in depth, so if o ...more
Caz
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book with lovely photos that really encourages you to sit, slow down and take your time browsing its pages.

Filled with lots of practical tips to help you start leading a more mindful lifestyle and touching on the reasons why this is of benefit to us all.

In a society where productivity and being busy are seen as signs of success, this book challenges that norm and shows us ways to come back to ourselves.

**Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a copy of this
Stars In Her Eye
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Seeking Slow talks you through getting out of the busy world and making time for yourself. Predictably, it includes a lot about getting out of technology; but this is a needed thing to help s relax sometimes. While the bigger sections are verbose, Melanie Barnes breaks down practical ways to help you. Each section comes with activities or self inflection to help you slow down.
In a busy world, some times it's hard to slow down. Let this book and it's seen photos help you.

I recei
Mel Poole
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for a free copy of this book.

Seeking Slow is a small book and easily read in one day, but don't let the size fool you. This book is beautifully crafted and provides useful information. It is well organized and I liked that each section had takeaways and main points to focus on. The content provides a lot to think about and the images are stunning.
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book encourages the reader to take time out of the unnecessary and to start living more fulfilled lives, slowing down the mayhem and to start doing what you actually want to do.

She shows us how we can make small changes to our daily life where we will see a big difference in our emotional fulfillment.

I would definitely refer back to this through time to gain new ideas.
Lindsay
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a beautifully crafted book about slowing life down and taking time for yourself in a world where we seem to be running on empty these days because we never switch off. There are lots of easy changes we can make just to take a step back and care for ourselves in our daily lift without missing out.
Emma Dresser
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wishes were granted and I got the opportunity to read this lovely book.
Well laid out, beautiful photography and practical tips and ways to seek slow, be slow and actively change your mindset from busy rules, to slow feels better.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review.
Katinstockholm
Oct 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried with this book but I just couldn’t get along with it, I’m afraid. It is beautifully laid out with lovely images, but I didn’t find anything new or compelling in the text.
Lindsay
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seeking Slow by Melanie Barnes is exactly the book I have been needing. The desire to slow down and really be present in my life has been a bit lacking. Mostly in part to the device I’m writing this review on. This book has encouraged me to put my phone down for a bit and play, feed my soul and give my body what it needs.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwa

• Find Your Mantra: Inspire and Empower Your Life with 75 Positive Affirmations
  • Find Your Glow, Feed Your Soul: A Guide for Cultivating a Vibrant Life of Peace & Purpose
  • Nature Tonic: A Year in My Mindful Life
  • Simply Spaced: Clear the Clutter and Style Your Life
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • 10-Minute Declutter: Hundreds of Tips to Organize Every Room of Your House
  • 10-Minute Tidy Home: Hundreds of Easy Tips to Straighten and Clean Every Room of Your House
  • Artists' Letters: Leonardo da Vinci to David Hockney
  • An ABC of Equality
  • Geo Detectives: Water Cycle
  • Geo Detectives: Volcanoes & Earthquakes
  • Modern Sourdough: Sweet and Savoury Recipes from Margot Bakery
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • The Family-Friendly Keto Instant Pot Cookbook: Delicious, Low-Carb Meals You Can Have On the Table Quickly & Easily
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Inspired Artist: Draw Every Little Thing: Learn to draw more than 100 everyday items, from food to fashion
  • The Ritual Yearbook
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
Melanie Barnes is the writer and photographer behind the blog Geoffrey and Grace—a home for slow and simple living. With more than fifteen years' experience in movement and well-being, she is a trained yoga and meditation teacher, and massage therapist. She has always been guided by her body and is always looking for ways to be present and truly connected. Becoming a mother inspired her to look at ...more