Start by marking “Beautiful on the Outside” as Want to Read:
Beautiful on the Outside

Beautiful on the Outside

Former Olympic figure skater and self-professed America's Sweetheart Adam Rippon shares his underdog journey from beautiful mess to outrageous success in this hilarious, big-hearted memoir that the Washington Post calls "comedic gold."
Your mom probably told you it's what on the inside that counts. Well, then she was never a competitive figure skater. Olympic medalist Adam
Published October 15th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful on the Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful on the Outside

Start your review of Beautiful on the Outside
Lost in a Book
I love Adam Rippon SOOOOO hard. Listening to him narrate this story was fabulous and had me LOLing throughout. Definitely recommended.
andrea caro
Probably wrong to rate a book based on a 30 page sampler, but I love Adam Rippon and have preordered a signed copy of this book, an unsigned copy, and the audiobook, so you can't stop me.

What I can tell you based on those 30 pages - his voice really shines through in stories about Victorian women ice skating on popcorn tins, anxiety attacks on the way to school, a skating party hosted by a girl named Anastasia Davenport who is mysteriously not of the House of Davenport, how to get out of team
Donna Hines
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all know its what's on the inside that counts!
Yet sometimes that mess on the outside is equally outstanding and worthy of the gold!
In this case both situations are true!
You'd be correct in saying Adam wasn't born with a silver spoon.
You'd also be correct in noting his mom was like many single moms struggling to survive.
Yet, the story graciously builds upon his humble roots in Scranton Pa to his glorious & albeit closely monitored life in California.
So many focused upon the highest prize
Nursebookie
I loved this memoir! You have to read this and should not be missed!

This book was well written that got me from laughing to crying to laughing again on this juicy memoir full of raw honesty and an absolute page turner. Rippon's journey and passion to becoming an Olympic athlete was detailed so beautifully. Watching the Winter Olympics Figure skating was always a family affair and was never missed. So when this memoir came out, I knew I had to read it. I enjoyed it so much for the fun, humorous,
Jennifer Schultz
Read if you: Want a fun, funny, but also sweet memoir about someone who beat the odds..

If you've been a longtime figure skating fan, Adam Rippon is no overnight media sensation. However, that's what he became at the 2018 Winter Games. Not only did his beautiful skating attract new admirers, but his witty personality and outspokenness also endeared him to many.

I knew the basics of Rippon's story--oldest of six children, parental divorce when he was young, a rocky post-juniors skating career,
Lorrie Kim
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, you will probably laugh out loud reading Adam Rippon’s Beautiful on the Outside. (That happened to me five times, twice in public.)

If you’re hoping for a sassy gay voice with this book, you’re in luck. Double luck if you were also hoping for gems of skate-mom wisdom from Kelly Rippon.

There is a smattering of inside dirt, all the more delightful because it is meticulously worded and beyond reproach.

I don’t know if you’ll cry, but I did. Once when Rippon paid tribute to Johnny Weir and
Joshua Dowling
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
what a treat.
Kelly ...
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What makes a good celebrity memoir? For me it must be open and a bit voyeuristic, chatty and a bit gossipy, sweet, funny, warm and positive. It must read like a lengthy storytelling one-on-one chat over coffee. It must feel like I know the person.

Adam Rippon's new memoir, Beautiful on the Outside is all of these things. His book will teach you a bit more about figure skating. It will make you laugh out loud. But mostly it will make you feel like you are one of his intimate friends; like he just
Jessica
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I’m going with , rounded up.

It was a delightful celebrity memoir. Can’t say it’s anything revolutionary but it was a fun treat to read. His humor comes through the page, which is what makes it so fun. The writing itself is just OK and that’s probably the only criticism I have. I bet this would be a super fun audiobook!

Thanks to the publisher for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Christina
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Like a long Instagram story from our boy. I enjoyed it!
Elena
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just dragged myself out of an hour YouTube Time Suck in which I rewatchd many of Adam Rippon's routines. GAH he was so freaking good. I distinctly remember watching several live and just being absolutely absorbed into his skating.

I really enjoyed this book. I think he has great perspective over the things that got him here, his mistakes and what he did to correct those mistakes going forward. There was drama and his usual brand of honestly but I also really enjoyed hearing about what EXACTLY
Kevin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Figure skating Olympic medalist Adam Rippon delivers a gold medal-worthy memoir that is both laugh-out-loud funny and inspiring. Rippon's sassy, outspoken personality and his skating skills made him a star of the 2018 Winter Olympics. At age 28, he was a decade older than his teammates. He had missed out on two previous Olympics and had broken his foot a year before he finally made the team. But he was also skating at his best. "I think people really connected with all that," he writes. "And I ...more
Nathan Bartos
***I received a free eARC of this book from Grand Central Publishing through Netgalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.***
*4.5 Stars
Adam Rippon has such a strong, entertaining voice that he could've been writing about nearly anything, and I would've been captivated. Luckily, the story of his journey to and a little bit past the Olympics is an entertaining ride on its own as well.
This is really a story of hard work and passion and perseverance,
Kelly 💜☕️
Such a fun memoir that was phenomenal as an audiobook.

This was an easy listen that helped me get chores done around the house with a smile on my face.

Thanks to San Diego County Library for the digital audio version via Libby app.

[Audio: 8 hours, 20 minutes]
patricia baldwin
Wow. Just wow.

Thank you Adam. This old lady figure skater follower is now more educated in the finer points of skating and competition. I love your mom. Your book did it for me. Drug testing had me crying and laughing at the same time. Please follow up with more writing as you embark on new ventures.
Erin Schaick
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Rippon is a national treasure.
Allana
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not know how much I needed this book until I started reading it. If you don't know who Adam Rippon is, you need to take a good hard look at your life and re-evaluate your entire existence. Then you purchase this book.

For one thing, Adam Rippon is delightfully sassy and blunt. The tone of his voice really shines through in this memoir and there are a ton of laugh-out-loud moments that take you by complete surprise. But let me tell you, the audio book gives me life. I can't recommend enough
Judith
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short, highly readable memoir by one of my favorite skaters. Rippon tells the tale of his rise from his first time on the ice (hated it) to Olympic glory at the ripe age of 27. He reveals his embarrassing moments in somewhat grim detail, from boyhood to adult (some things never change). And he does it all with a sense of humor that seems to come naturally.

Rippon made headlines when he came out shortly before the Olympics in 2018. It isn't unusual, of course, for skaters to be gay, but most do
Gay Old Fart
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an unexpected delightful read. There was a conversational tone to it, punctuated by occasional "breaking the fourth wall" remarks, which made me chuckle.
The brief passage relating Rippon meeting Gus Kenworthy was very emotional for me.
All in all, I enjoyed it very much.
Linda Quinn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a big Adam Rippon fan I knew I’d love this book and after realizing he narrated the audio book I got that instead. He’s funny, he’s sassy, he tells it like it is and I have to say I admire him more after listening to his story. I also admire his mom very much because as he will be the first to tell you, he wouldn’t have gotten very far without her. He struggled, he failed some, he fell one very important time yet managed to get up and come back stronger to fulfill his dreams of an Olympic ...more
Melissa Smith
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many lessons!

I really did not know what to expect but I really enjoyed this book. There are many lessons to learn from this book, hard work pays off, be who you truly are, take chances, etc. What is also evident is that this is a caring young man with what I find to be a hilarious sense of humor.
I have read my share of celebrity memoirs and reviewed a number of them. I do believe this is among the very few I have enjoyed most and rated the highest. It is witty and clever and endearing. It feels honest and open and real. I have already recommended it to others, including persons I care about who are trying to figure out their own life paths.
Adam describes his life from young child, unaware of the stresses and sacrifices his dream put upon his parents, through the challenges of finding
Emily
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. I'm in the business and I don't read many skating books (I like to separate work and my personal life!) but I made a point to read this one. Highly recommend if you know of Adam and want a good laugh.
Rosanne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought I knew the kind of drive it takes to be a top athlete, but I was mistaken. This book tells in a very honest way how difficult it is to reach the level of Olympian - the sacrifice, the pain, the insecurity, the effort and so much more. It also provides an important lesson in how psychology can inhibit or enhance performance. However, this is also a witty, fun read due to the author's lively and amusing writing. Very enjoyable.
Karen Richardson
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After seeing him talk, sort of by chance at the Wisconsin Book festival - I was so impressed with Adam - his positive attitude, humility, humor, charm, and basic niceness. I listened to the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. You go Adam ! Keep on being you!!
Liz
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this one really starts with a bang...I nearly choked on my wine while laughing during the first few chapters. Rippon certainly has a way with words! But seriously, I thought this was a very interesting read about someone finding himself and also discovering how to live the life he wants and not what others expect of him. I miss seeing Adam on the ice; he was always someone my friends and I loved to watch because of his attention to detail and determination to skate a whole program rather ...more
Kathryn B
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but surprisingly I found it quite hilarious and even insightful. There's behind the scenes skating stories that I think even non-skating fans would joy as well.
Krista
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Note: This review is based on an ARC I received from Netgalley.

There are times when a book surprises me. "Beautiful on the Outside" 100% did that. While I didn't expect the ebook to be horrible, I absolutely did not expect to love it, either. And yet, like the author itself, this happy, bubbly memoir is difficult to resist.

"Beautiful on the Outside" is the breezy autobiography of skater Adam Rippon, most famously known for his gorgeous skating performances at the Olympics and his superiority
Donna
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Giving this an extra star for the hiiiiiiilarious audiobook recording. YAS ADAM.
Brigid
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would love to listen to the audio version; there were so many lines I could hear Rippon (a fast talker) saying out loud that were a bit harder to read on the page. Still extremely funny and thoughtful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Naturally Tan
  • Me
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • A Song for You: My Life with Whitney Houston
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Horror Stories
  • A Question of Us
  • Know My Name
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Full Circle: From Hollywood to Real Life and Back Again
Adam Rippon is an Olympic athlete and medal-winning figure skater. He won the 2010 Four Continents Championships and the 2016 U.S. National Championships and was selected to represent the United States at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. He came out as gay in October 2015 and, at the 2018 Winter Olympics, won a bronze medal as part of the figure skating team event, thus ...more