Start by marking “Beautiful on the Outside” as Want to Read:
Beautiful on the Outside

Beautiful on the Outside

Former Olympic figure skater and self-professed America's Sweetheart Adam Rippon shares his underdog journey from beautiful mess to outrageous success in this hilarious, big-hearted memoir that the Washington Post calls "comedic gold."
Your mom probably told you it's what on the inside that counts. Well, then she was never a competitive figure skater. Olympic medalist Adam
Published October 15th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful on the Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful on the Outside

Start your review of Beautiful on the Outside
andrea caro
It's official - this was my favorite book of 2019!

Probably wrong to rate a book based on a 30 page sampler, but I love Adam Rippon and have preordered a signed copy of this book, an unsigned copy, and the audiobook, so you can't stop me.

What I can tell you based on those 30 pages - his voice really shines through in stories about Victorian women ice skating on popcorn tins, anxiety attacks on the way to school, a skating party hosted by a girl named Anastasia Davenport who is mysteriously not of
Lost in a Book
I love Adam Rippon SOOOOO hard. Listening to him narrate this story was fabulous and had me LOLing throughout. Definitely recommended.
Lorrie Kim
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, you will probably laugh out loud reading Adam Rippon’s Beautiful on the Outside. (That happened to me five times, twice in public.)

If you’re hoping for a sassy gay voice with this book, you’re in luck. Double luck if you were also hoping for gems of skate-mom wisdom from Kelly Rippon.

There is a smattering of inside dirt, all the more delightful because it is meticulously worded and beyond reproach.

I don’t know if you’ll cry, but I did. Once when Rippon paid tribute to Johnny Weir and Rud
Donna Hines
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all know its what's on the inside that counts!
Yet sometimes that mess on the outside is equally outstanding and worthy of the gold!
In this case both situations are true!
You'd be correct in saying Adam wasn't born with a silver spoon.
You'd also be correct in noting his mom was like many single moms struggling to survive.
Yet, the story graciously builds upon his humble roots in Scranton Pa to his glorious & albeit closely monitored life in California.
So many focused upon the highest prize -- Ge
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What makes a good celebrity memoir? For me it must be open and a bit voyeuristic, chatty and a bit gossipy, sweet, funny, warm and positive. It must read like a lengthy storytelling one-on-one chat over coffee. It must feel like I know the person.

Adam Rippon's new memoir, Beautiful on the Outside is all of these things. His book will teach you a bit more about figure skating. It will make you laugh out loud. But mostly it will make you feel like you are one of his intimate friends; like he just
Nursebookie
I loved this memoir! You have to read this and should not be missed!

This book was well written that got me from laughing to crying to laughing again on this juicy memoir full of raw honesty and an absolute page turner. Rippon's journey and passion to becoming an Olympic athlete was detailed so beautifully. Watching the Winter Olympics Figure skating was always a family affair and was never missed. So when this memoir came out, I knew I had to read it. I enjoyed it so much for the fun, humorous,
Jennifer Schultz
Read if you: Want a fun, funny, but also sweet memoir about someone who beat the odds..

If you've been a longtime figure skating fan, Adam Rippon is no overnight media sensation. However, that's what he became at the 2018 Winter Games. Not only did his beautiful skating attract new admirers, but his witty personality and outspokenness also endeared him to many.

I knew the basics of Rippon's story--oldest of six children, parental divorce when he was young, a rocky post-juniors skating career, fin
AliciaJ
This was heartwarming and hilarious all at the same time. Great read.
Joshua Dowling
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
what a treat.
Juliette
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m going to be that judge and deduct a star for technical merit. Rippon writes a hilarious and compelling memoir, and his book is like a message from a friend.
“But Juliette,” you say, “isn’t Rippon 29-years-old? What could experience he possibly have had to write about?”
He’s an Olympian. He writes about the early mornings, the weeks away from his family as a young boy, his physical difficulties (including his eating disorder), competitions ... everything that you would expect. And he writes wi
Elena
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just dragged myself out of an hour YouTube Time Suck in which I rewatchd many of Adam Rippon's routines. GAH he was so freaking good. I distinctly remember watching several live and just being absolutely absorbed into his skating.

I really enjoyed this book. I think he has great perspective over the things that got him here, his mistakes and what he did to correct those mistakes going forward. There was drama and his usual brand of honestly but I also really enjoyed hearing about what EXACTLY
Jessica
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I’m going with ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫, rounded up.

It was a delightful celebrity memoir. Can’t say it’s anything revolutionary but it was a fun treat to read. His humor comes through the page, which is what makes it so fun. The writing itself is just OK and that’s probably the only criticism I have. I bet this would be a super fun audiobook!

Thanks to the publisher for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Christina
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Like a long Instagram story from our boy. I enjoyed it!
Liz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

There was no way I wasn't going to enjoy this on some level, Adam is from my area of the world and following him in the Olympics and then onto everything he's been doing since has been great.

What comes across strongest here is his voice and his force of personality. It's present from start to end, page after page.

I also enjoyed getting a more comprehensive picture of his journey - some of it I knew but a lot of it I did
Shane
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This started out slow for me, but I am so glad I stuck with it. I got fucking hooked and I HAD TO KNOW IF HE MAKES IT (except of course I did know that he made it??) to the olympics and have apparently finished it in a single day. The power of a good narrative! I was prepping for the end of grad school when the last winter Olympics happened, so honestly I had no idea who Adam Rippon was, but I am intensely charmed. I'm now going down a rabbit hole of watching all his youtube content. Listen to t ...more
Bethany Buck
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I LOL’ed a lot throughout this book. I love Adam Rippon and I enjoyed reading about his story! Audiobook.
Kevin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Figure skating Olympic medalist Adam Rippon delivers a gold medal-worthy memoir that is both laugh-out-loud funny and inspiring. Rippon's sassy, outspoken personality and his skating skills made him a star of the 2018 Winter Olympics. At age 28, he was a decade older than his teammates. He had missed out on two previous Olympics and had broken his foot a year before he finally made the team. But he was also skating at his best. "I think people really connected with all that," he writes. "And I w ...more
Nathan Bartos
***I received a free eARC of this book from Grand Central Publishing through Netgalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.***
*4.5 Stars
Adam Rippon has such a strong, entertaining voice that he could've been writing about nearly anything, and I would've been captivated. Luckily, the story of his journey to and a little bit past the Olympics is an entertaining ride on its own as well.
This is really a story of hard work and passion and perseverance,
Kelly 💜☕️
Such a fun memoir that was phenomenal as an audiobook.

This was an easy listen that helped me get chores done around the house with a smile on my face.

Thanks to San Diego County Library for the digital audio version via Libby app.

[Audio: 8 hours, 20 minutes]
Chase Hackett
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this from the first shocking sentence to the very end. A fascinating story told by a very funny story-teller.
patricia baldwin
Wow. Just wow.

Thank you Adam. This old lady figure skater follower is now more educated in the finer points of skating and competition. I love your mom. Your book did it for me. Drug testing had me crying and laughing at the same time. Please follow up with more writing as you embark on new ventures.
Erin Schaick
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Rippon is a national treasure.
Karin Kaneda
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This memoir shares the journeys of a professional American figure skater and the road he took to reach his dream of competing at the Olympics. While sharing all of the happy moments where you can laugh out loud and the sad moments where you can empathize with the author, you truly get to feel as if you’ve known him all your life.

Adam Rippon, an openly gay athlete had always felt out of place. Life was rough and he felt as though he was never able reach his parent’s expectations, being a perfecti
Melyssa
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. I could just imagine Adam Rippon saying the words as I read. He’s funny throughout but you also see how hard he worked to get to the Olympics and how much he and his mom sacrificed to make that possible. He’s an inspiring person.
Allyson (bookstaandbujo)
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not only am I a HARD CORE stan of Adam since his memorable Olympic days (and his absolutely hilarious interview on Ellen), but I am just as equally fascinated by memoirs written by successful athletes...especially Olympians.
The unreal lifetime of work required, the insane sacrifices by the athletes and their families, the astronomical cost (monetary cost and emotional cost), the crazy schedules, the hundreds of miles — one way— to get to practices... all for a TINY chance of making it to the Ol
Allana
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not know how much I needed this book until I started reading it. If you don't know who Adam Rippon is, you need to take a good hard look at your life and re-evaluate your entire existence. Then you purchase this book.

For one thing, Adam Rippon is delightfully sassy and blunt. The tone of his voice really shines through in this memoir and there are a ton of laugh-out-loud moments that take you by complete surprise. But let me tell you, the audio book gives me life. I can't recommend enough
Jeanie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Rippon is as beautiful on the inside as he is on the outside. Auto biography of Olympic metal winning skater will keep you laughing for days. Much respect to his Mother for raising 5 kids, with what must be the most fantastic time management ever!
Ashley Nelson
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, memoir
I think Adam Rippon is a hoot. If you didn't enjoy him or his personality from the Olympics, then this memoir is not for you. I thoroughly enjoyed his story, told with humor and honesty. He is grounded, real, and totally fabulous. Bravo to him for his tenacity, he earned his success through a lot of struggle and hard work.
Maya
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cry-laughed reading this more times than I thought humanly possible. I also kept having anxiety moments of 'omg is Adam going to make it to the Olympics? Is he going to skate clean at the Olympics?' when I literally watched the '18 Olympics for you, Adam, and saw you be perfect. This was easily my favorite book of the year and I don't even care for memoirs, which I think is proof Adam should write all things I don't usually care to read because then I would like them all.
Shauna Yusko
That was all kinds of fun. Audiobook narrated by author. Lots of snark and swear words so you know I’m all in!

• Name Drop: The Really Good Celebrity Stories I Usually Only Tell at Happy Hour
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Naturally Tan
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • I Have Something to Tell You
  • Dan Rather: Stories of a Lifetime
  • A Very Punchable Face
  • Open Book
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Start by Believing: Larry Nassar's Crimes, the Institutions that Enabled Him, and the Brave Women Who Stopped a Monster
  • Here for It; Or, How to Save Your Soul in America: Essays
  • Regretting You
  • The Groom Will Keep His Name: And Other Vows I've Made About Race, Resistance, and Romance
  • Gold Wings Rising (Skybound, #3)
  • The Swallows
  • The Fire (Love in O'Leary #4)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
Adam Rippon is an Olympic athlete and medal-winning figure skater. He won the 2010 Four Continents Championships and the 2016 U.S. National Championships and was selected to represent the United States at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. He came out as gay in October 2015 and, at the 2018 Winter Olympics, won a bronze medal as part of the figure skating team event, thus becomi ...more

News & Interviews

“Just like Toni Braxton couldn't unbreak her heart, I couldn't unbreak my foot.” 0 likes
“Every competition I entered I could hear “Please bring honor to us all” from the movie Mulan in my head, and just like Mulan, I didn’t know the girl staring back at me when she looked at herself in the river in full drag.” 0 likes