Start by marking “Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen (Mexican Food Cookbooks, Tex-Mex Cooking, Mexican and Spanish Recipes)” as Want to Read:

Tex-Mex is a delicious, irreverent cuisine that combines the deep traditions of Texan and Mexican cooking. Think meaty stews, breakfast tacos, and tres leches cake. Home cooks will learn how to make them all—in addition to crunchy salads, slow-cooked meats, and fresh cocktails—in this collection of more than 100 recipes from San Antonio native and Los Angeles chef and ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Ama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ama

Start your review of Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen (Mexican Food Cookbooks, Tex-Mex Cooking, Mexican and Spanish Recipes)
Dita
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look out Hotter-than-the-Sun-Bobby-Flay! Armed with this gorgeous cookbook I will be outcooking you in no time!

The recipes are approachable, the ingredients easy to obtain and the results amazing!

Thank you to Josef Centero and Betty Hallock, Chronicle Books, and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Stacey
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need this book in my kitchen right now! It's not released until 10/1/2019 so the best I could do was pre order it and I can't wait. Rick Bayless is my go-to guy for Mexican cuisine, but hold the phone, Josef Centeno just stepped in.

3 reasons I'm in love with this cookbook:

1. The photographs are amazing!

2. The recipes (I know this should be #1, but the pictures are really great). I love Tex-Mex and as the author stated, Tex-Mex is something that continues to evolve. He has provided traditional
Chantal
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-en, netgalley
This cookbook has fresh new innovating recipes for people who love to cook Mexican. The pictures are vibrant, colourful and your mouth will water when you see them. For every course there is a multi recipes and I can't wait to start cooking with this book. One minus some ingredients are hard or harder to get. There for this book gets 4 points!

This is a ARC from the publisher via Netgalley, which I got for an honest review.

Audrianna Thompson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2019
Ohhh my goodness. This cookbook is a foodie's dream!! Not only are the photos mouth watering, but the instructions and recipes are perfection. I really enjoyed reading through each piece and have a new motivation for cooking! Who's going to win at family dinner? This girl!
Thi Winn
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC PDF of Ama in exchange for a candid review.

I truly enjoyed this cookbook. The photographs are very crisp and beautiful. The recipes and instructions are easy to follow and clear. I thought it was a very sweet idea to include the mentions from TX to family throughout the book for certain recipes and/or ingredients. I am definitely planning on trying out some of these recipes!
Cathy Geha
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amá
A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen
by Josef Centeno and Betty Hallock

I miss Mexican food and do my best to make it here in Lebanon. I learned to make authentic tortillas from a woman in Saudi Arabia, learned to make salsa from a Mexican cookbook to serve to an embassy friend missing home and I have enjoyed reading and eating food from south of the border for years. I have more than one Mexican and Tex-Mex cookbook in my collection but NONE of them have the varied recipes using so many tasty ingredients
Janet

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Tex-Mex is diverse. B ÁmaBar Áma finds inspiration from regional Mexican cuisine and beyond, with influences from the American South, Germany, Poland, and Morocco. Tex- Mex isn't authentic. The only thing authentic about Tex-Mex is that it isn’t
Sandra
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do not miss the wonderful historical information contained in the Introduction. We learn facts about Tex-Mex cooking, where it came from and some interesting information about Josef Centeno's ancestors. You will read the life story of Ama, whom the book is named after. There is a quick note and explanation of Chiles. Their names and uses are explained further on in the recipes.

Ama cookbook contains some wonderful dressings and vinaigrettes, that can be used in various ways. Pickled products,
Lauren Paletta
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The recipes look to die for in the photographs, which are bright, colorful and can make you drool puddles. The recipes, however, for me, are too much. They call for so many ingredients that for one, I don't keep in the house and if I did, I would waste so much money because I would never use them again. This was not for me, but I am sure someone else would enjoy it.
#Texmex #Netgalley
Cynthia Corral
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This Tex-Mex cookbook did not really win me over.

On the plus side, the photographs look delicious and I would happily try any recipe from this book that someone cooked for me. The dishes are very much from scratch and use a lot of spice and peppers. There is a fried chicken recipe I’m dying to taste, and a chicken fried steak recipe which you rarely see in cookbooks these days.

On the minus side, these dishes are from scratch. The ingredient lists are long, and although mostly consisting of
Jenny Houle
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having lived in the southwest for a large part of our relationship, one of the things my other half and I miss the most now that we live back in New England is the food. I was so thrilled to find this cookbook because it has so many of the foods we knew and loved when we lived out that way.

The book is based on recipes from Bar Ama's menu, "a neighborhood restaurant— a small, noisy, friendly Tex-Mex joint, not in Texas but in the center of downtown Los Angeles, next to an alley off of Fourth
Kristine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Ama by Josef Centeno & Betty Hallock is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

The mottled white stucco and light tilework backdrop makes everything near it look fresh and airy. This is all about Tex Mex cuisine (with themes of breakfast, veg, family meals, party food, and desserts) served in LA, seeped deep in the Centeno’s family history with page-edge aligned recipe titles, a preamble to promote and define it, then a vertical ingredient list and instructions. I gravitated
Nicky Hallam
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so hungry right now!

I love Mexican food but here in the UK it's pretty limited so the best thing is to make it yourself. This book is a bit of a revelation, I had no idea that Tex-Mex was influenced from so many different places. The stories about the food are really interesting, especially the little reminiscences by the authors.

The pictures look great, I really like to see what a dish is supposed to look like and the instructions are clear and straightforward.

I want to get right to the
Madi
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can we all take a moment to appreciate how ridiculously gorgeous this book is?! The cover of this book immediately grabbed my attention and it’s just as stunning on the inside. The food photography is so well done, everything looks appetizing. Plus, it’s honestly designed really well, too. The pages are super clean and consistent.

The recipes themselves are very straightforward. And none of them seemed overly complicated, even the desserts. Which I greatly appreciated. As far as ingredients go,
Susanne
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thank you to Chronicle Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved, loved, loved this cookbook! Well structured chapters, drop-dead gorgeous photos, do-able recipes with some more complex dishes as well, and interspersed with wonderful stories and personal history of the author's family, which shaped his view of food and cooking. I am enormously sad that I live so far from the author's restaurant - and that I live in a country that abhors spicy food, so I am going to
Christina Miranda
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ama is a great cookbook! The recipes are delicious (I made the flour tortillas, Carne Guisada, and borracho bean dip)! The photographs are beautiful, and the recipes are well written. I live in Chicago, so the ingredients are all easily found here in any market. My one misgiving is that I hate that the recipe title is vertical rather than horizontal. I would recommend this to my friends and family.
Patricia Reyes
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Texan, I agree with Josef Centeno and Betty Hallock that "Tex- Mex isn't authentic. The only thing authentic about Tex-Mex is that it isn’t authentic: It evolves and adapts."

This cookbook is easy to follow with wonderful pictures are vibrant, colorful and you will make what to eat the food when you see them. I can wait to make the Mexican Sriracha, Ama spice mix, Grandma Alice's Chipotle chorizo, and Mom's Green enchiladas.
Bookshelfhangover
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Um Hello! YUM! This book was mouth watering. I live in Texas, I love mexican food. This is my cookbook. Even though I have adopted the low carb lifestyle, every recipe in this delicious book will make a hit with the family and on cheat night. I love a book with pictures so I can visualize what it is I am about to consume. I can not wait to try out all of these recipes.

I was given an ARC from NetGalley in return for my honest review.
roxi Net
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being fairly familiar with Tex-Mex food, Ama kinda blew my mind. The book came across as a labor of love, an ode to family and to the passion of culture and food (all in my sweet spot!). The photos are beautiful, the book well laid-out and above all the recipes (though some a bit more time consuming than I'd prefer) are so different than my go-to dinners; exactly what I needed.
Theresa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A good Tex Mex cookbook with some delicious recipes. I wish more of the recipes had accompanying pictures as I am much more likely to try those that do.

A great addition to my cookbook library. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an advance copy of this title in exchange for an unbiased review.
Jane
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Amá, Centeno, owner of Bar Amá, a neighborhood restaurant in downtown Los Angeles shares a variety of dishes inspired by his Mexican roots.

The food dishes range from home to upscale. Breakfast features twists such as Huevos rancheros, Migas, and Carne guisada. His family recipes which are also served in Bar Amá include Mama Grande’s Chicken Soup, Grandma Alice’s Chorizo and Queso Asadero; Amá’s Carrot and Potato Sofrito Enchiladas and Mom’s Green Enchiladas.

There’s also the author’s Tex-mex
Alexandra Santos
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Gorgeous cookbook with some great recipes. Made the carne guisada and was enchanted with the result. It occasionally asks for hard to find ingredients (especially where I live in Canada), but some little substitutions never hurt nobody.

(Read a review copy on NetGalley.)
Meg Dean
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a solid...meh! It was ok but not much in the original.
Amy Hurrell
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lifestyle-favs
I cannot wait to cook from this (or, more accurately, my partner!) - these tex mex recipes look fresh and definitely flavoursome.
Calandra
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and have enjoyed trying these recipes. My family absolutely adores them. We will be buying copies for family and friends as part of our Christmas gift.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Chronicle Books and Netgalley for a copy of Ama by Josef Centeno and Betty Hallock for review.

I am not sure I have ever eaten real Tex-Mex after flipping through this cookbook for review! All the recipes sound so interesting and complex, I can't wait to try them. Some of ingredients were not familiar with me so this might not be a cookbook I can just pick up for weekday cooking for my family but it would be great for special dinners that I can plan in advance and maybe source some
Kelli
Many thanks to the publisher for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I seriously can't wait to try these recipes. They are all your typical Tex-Mex favorites but he added his flair and it looks delicious. There are some adorable little family stories mixed in to boot. I will definitely be recommending this one for the library to purchase and may even add a hard copy to my own home kitchen if these recipes pan out the way I hope they will.

ETA: I've tried some of the recipes and
Rambling Reader
Nov 24, 2019
Kara
Nov 24, 2019

• Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • Modern Sourdough: Sweet and Savoury Recipes from Margot Bakery
  • The Pasta Friday Cookbook: Let's Eat Together
  • The Visual Guide to Easy Meal Prep: Strategies and Recipes to Get Organized, Save Time, and Eat Healthier
  • Tartine: A Classic Revisited: 68 All-New Recipes + 55 Updated Favorites (Baking Cookbooks, Pastry Books, Dessert Cookbooks, Gifts for Pastry Chefs)
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • Half the Sugar, All the Love: 100 Easy, Low-Sugar Recipes for Every Meal of the Day
  • Nut Butter: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood
  • The Weaving Explorer: Ingenious Techniques, Accessible Tools & Creative Projects with Yarn, Paper, Wire & More
  • Super Low-Carb Snacks: 100 Delicious Keto and Paleo Treats for Fat Burning and Great Nutrition
  • Famous Dishes from Around the World / Platos famosos de todo el mundo: Healthy, Tasty and Affordable / saludables, sabrosos y económicos
  • Vegan Mac and Cheese - More than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food
  • The CBD Handbook: Over 75 Recipes for Hemp-Derived Health and Wellness
  • Fresh Flavours for the Slow Cooker Reinvent the Slow-Cooked Meal; 77 Mouthwatering Recipes
  • Everyday Keto Baking: Healthy Low-Carb Recipes for Every Occasion
  • Cookies for Everyone: 99 Deliciously Customizable Bakeshop Recipes
  • Incredible Plant-Based Desserts: Colorful Vegan Cakes, Cookies, Tarts, and other Epic Delights
  • The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Cookbook: Bend the Rules to Lose the Weight!