Start by marking “Three Cheers for Kid McGear!: (Family Read Aloud Books, Construction Books for Kids, Children's New Experiences Books, Stories in Verse)” as Want to Read:

From the New York Times bestselling author that brought you Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and Mighty, Mighty Construction Site comes a heartwarming and inspiring tale featuring the first female character to join the core construction crew!

She might be small, but she's got it all—she's Kid McGear, Skid Steer! Kid McGear is the newest truck to join the Goodnight,
Published September 24th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Three Cheers for Kid McGear!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Cheers for Kid McGear!

Start your review of Three Cheers for Kid McGear!: (Family Read Aloud Books, Construction Books for Kids, Children's New Experiences Books, Stories in Verse)
Amanda
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this with Mister and he was just BORED. I would give this 4 stars for the art alone and for the can-do spirit, but what can I say? I was a bit bored myself, reading this to him. What's wrong? I kept thinking. I LOVED all of the other books in the series. Where is the spark, the magic, the zip? Just not feeling it with this one. Madam wandered past and listened for a while, and then she wandered out again. I asked her later what she thought, and she said, "Huh, the little guy sure had a lot ...more
Erin Buhr
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a great addition to the series of construction books by Sherri Duskey Rinker. A lot of fuss has been made over the new character, Kid McGear, being a girl and I do applaud the choice. What I liked most however, was that she's little. She's the champion of being little and inventive and tough. I think kids will identify with her feelings when the trucks initially brush her aside and feel inspired by how she saves the day.
Amy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This just didn't flow, IMO. My son seemed bored by the story. I'm sad because I've liked the others.
Tonja Drecker
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of tractors, back-hoes, dump trucks and all things construction will Kid McGear and all the determination the tiny skid-loader brings with him.

A flatbed arrives on the construction site bringing along a new member to the already busy crew. The little skid loader is energetic and friendly, but all the jobs appear to be a bit too big for him. When an accident leaves two important construction vehicles in trouble, Kid McGear might be exactly the hero the construction site needs.

This is such a
Efox
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love books. For the second year in a row I took my tiny people to the National Book Festival. There were a handful of authors I really wanted my not quite 4 year old to see. Sherri Duskey Rinker was one of them. We got a late start and everyone was a little hungry (my 1.5 year old took a nap) but we made it for her presentation. It was great. She is an enthusiastic truck lover who wants to share that live with others. This is the 4th big book in the Goodnight series. We have all of them. She ...more
Allison Renner
Thanks to @kidlitexchange and Chronicle Kids for sharing Three Cheers for Kid McGear by Sherri Duskey Rinker and AG Ford. All opinions are my own.

My son and I have loved all the construction site books so far, and he was so excited to see a new book with a new character! Kid McGear is small, and the other trucks don’t think she can help. Kid isn’t discouraged, just offers to work with them another day. But when there’s an emergency, Kid is the only one who can help.

Like the previous books in the
Susan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thank you to the publisher for providing a free review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

The playful, rhyming text in this book tells the story of friendship, cooperation and teamwork. Ag Ford’s vibrant detailed illustrations help us to understand exactly what happened on the fateful day when Kid McGear joined the crew. It’s the day the crew was convinced Kid McGear was too small to help, but changed their minds when Kid saved the day! I loved Kid’s expressions, his ingenuity and his
RedPoppyReading
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Three Cheers for Kid McGear” by @sherrierinker and @agfordart is a fabulous new book in the series starring our favorite construction crew! A little truck, Kid McGear, has joined the crew. The other trucks think she is too small to help but when trouble strikes the worksite, Kid McGear proves herself and shows that when we work together as a team there is no limit to what can be accomplished. Playful rhyming makes this series a joy to read.
Pick this book up today! It was released on September
Chance Lee
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Kid McGear, a female skid steer in a world of personified and gendered heavy equipment vehicles, may have spectacular talents, but this book is spectacularly average. The text is basic. The character illustrations are charming, but the backgrounds and framing is a little off and the color palette is a little too dusty for my taste. And the story -- kid helps out adults -- has been done so many times! Recommended for little ones who like construction, and, if the trucks have to be gendered, it is ...more
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to kidlitexchange for a free review copy of this book.
First FEMALE character in the crew!! We are huge fans of this series! Three Cheers for Kid McGear! will not disappoint! This truck may be small but quickly proves that she can be a BIG help to the crew!
This is a great one for my little guy who always says he is the smallest on his basketball team... but guess what he shot a basket today!! Just like this small character, Kid McGear, he was a BIG help to the team!
Holidays are coming!
Dylan Teut
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
While I appreciate that "Kid" is a girl, the word "kid" is a pejorative and it bothers me. Kids are baby goats. The proper word for young people is children or child. I know "Kid" was easy to fit in the words of this text, but, I couldn't help but wonder if there would be a better name for the little McGear. "Kid" seems so derogatory. We were taught in education classes never to refer to children that way. They deserve our respect. Which would you rather hear as a child, "Hey, Kid, get over ...more
Abby Johnson
Small but mighty wins the day in this colorful, whimsical picture book from the author of Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site. Young construction fans will really DIG this book - I especially appreciated the level of detail they get into with what different machines do and how machines work. For example, when two stuck machines need help up a slippery hill, dump truck dumps a load of sand for traction. Readers who want to know everything there is to know about construction will appreciate ...more
Raven Black
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is another book in the Goodnight, Construction Site series. It is another book telling you "Just because you are small, you can do something big." There are no surprises. It is straight forward and sweet. Like vehicles? You will enjoy meeting the new friend. What you love about AG Ford's illustrations are here. What you love about Sherri Duskey Rinker's story is here. A comfy read and a comfy story.
Bookish
A welcome entry to the world of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site. Little Kid McGear uses her wide range of attachments to save the day after other vehicles dismiss her for her diminutive size.

Good book to show kids growth mindset, self-confidence, and flexibility.
Melanie
When tiny Kid McGear the skid steer shows up one day the big construction trucks are unsure that she will be able to pitch in really, due to her small size. But when the big trucks get stuck down a steep incline it's Kid McGear to the rescue!

Great for teaching teamwork and helpfulness.
Anthony
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
When a shiny new skid steer joins the construction team, she is shunned by the other trucks, who thought she was too small to work along side them. But when an emergency happens skid steer displays her versatility, and multi-tasking skills she is soon accepted as one of the team.
Gay Ann
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Wonderful read for kindergarten classes story time or preschoolers, with it's big and little machines. For the little ones, that want to help with adults, they feel left out. Here is a small machine, who shows that he has value to do a job.
Rachel Knuttel
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for a review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

A cute story about how being little doesn’t mean you can’t be strong! Excellent rhymes and a plucky little tractor!
Chris
It's tough being the new kid. And the small kid. And Kid McGear is both new and small. He's overlooked by the veteran construction crew that has gotten along without him thus far. But, when things go awry, it's Kid McGear who saves the day and earns the respect - and acceptance - of the crew.
Pam
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The construction trucks learn that even a small new truck can be part of the team and save the day. McGear rescues the stuck construction vehicles because she is a smaller size and can get in tight places.
The illustrations are lovely.
Bel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truck obsessed small kids of every gender will love this new Construction Site book. Huge fun with the littlest, newest machine on the site, who (view spoiler)
Sandra
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as hunter
Based on how many times I was forced to read this in a row, I would say it’s a hit!
The Book Box
Mom got this book to review and I LOVED it, because I love the Construction Site series and this is a great addition to it!
PWRL
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
SM
Kelly
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kid McGear is a shiny new skid steer who just wants to help. The other trucks think she's too small to help, but quickly comes to the rescue in an emergency.
Library Lady Terri
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm left with one question. Why is the onlyn ruck with a gender, female, the small truck?
Jessie Otto
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Good moral of small people can do big things and the importance of teamwork.
Mary
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations are nice and I know the children at the library will love this book. However, there were a few instances of the words and rhythm not quite getting it right.
Barbara
Fans of the wildly-popular Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site will be delighted with this addition to the collection. There might be those that see a construction site and the previous titles as too masculine in content. This one makes up for that by introducing young Kid McGear. She's a lot younger and smaller than the other trucks, and they aren't quick to welcome her. In rhyming text, the book follows her as she tries to find her place and prove her worth. At the end of it all, readers ...more
Hillary Dillon

• The Scarecrow
  • Rabbit and the Motorbike
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • The Shortest Day
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • I Want a Dog
  • Just Because
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Arabella and the Magic Pencil
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Llama Llama Mess Mess Mess
Sherri has returned to her passion of writing to indulge her own children's passions. A graphic designer, she lives in Chicago with her photographer husband, a cockapoo named Quincy, several fish, a few hermit crabs, an ever-changing array of insects in jars, toys in every corner, and two energetic and inquisitive young boys: one fascinated by bugs and magic and another obsessed with trucks and ...more