Start by marking “Bruce's Big Storm” as Want to Read:
Bruce's Big Storm

Bruce's Big Storm

(Bruce #5)

Bruce's home is already a full house.

But when a big storm brings all his woodland neighbors knocking, he'll have to open his door to a crowd of animals in need of shelter-whether he likes it or not.

Readers will love this next installment of the uproarious, award-winning Mother Bruce series.
Published September 3rd 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Bruce's Big Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruce's Big Storm

Start your review of Bruce's Big Storm
Colby Sharp
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2019
I can't get enough Bruce.
Abigail
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Mother Bruce
Shelves: picture-books, storms
That curmudgeonly bear Bruce returns in this fifth picture-book devoted to his adventures - the sixth, if one counts the related Be Quiet! - determined to ride out the big storm in solitude and peace. Unfortunately for him, the poor weather brings a steady stream of neighbors seeking refuge, and soon his home is overrun. Bruce isn't thrilled, and he's even less pleased when a tree falls and damages his home. Then all of his unexpected guests return the next day, and help to repair the ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Grumpy Bruce is forced to take in his neighbors during a big storm. Bruce goes out in the storm to rescue some of his neighbors, and it ends up taking all the animals to save Bruce and those he was trying to rescue. A tree falls on Bruce's house, and all the neighbors come to repair Bruce's home.

A lovely story of community and friendship, even offered to those who fall on the side of desiring isolation.
Margie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We have had stormy weather headed our way for the past several evenings. Even before the sky sent us gray-cloud messages, the signs were there. Parents, educators and humans with canine companions are keenly aware of the advance notice children and dogs give us. Their behavior is downright squirrely. When you combine this with the full moon tonight, any semblance of normal is blown away.

Trying to navigate through tempestuous personalities indoors and rain, thunder, lightning and gusts of wind
Lynn Plourde
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Things get stormy for our favorite curmudgeon Bruce. Why would a curmudgeon even have neighbors? And who do those neighbors think they are crashing Bruce's place during a big storm? And why would one of them arrive late after the storm has started and have to be rescued. Bah! Humbug! Bruce just wants to be left alone. But YOU won't want to leave this book alone . . . beyond delightful!
KC
Bruce does not like his neighbors, but after a terrible storm hits, everyone in the area comes to his house, looking for safe shelter.
Alex
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I love this whole series.

Bruce is just such a good person, and so grumpy, and so antisocial, and everyone in his life just totally accepts that about him and still helps him like he helps them, not needing him to be friendly-nice to see him as a good person, and it's JUST. SO. PERFECT.

/UGH/

I mean it. I love this series SO much, particularly for how it divests the idea of 'friendly' from 'good'. You don't have to be the gregarious people-pleasing bucket of smiles to be a good person, and I think
Rian *fire and books*
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t a surprise to me, I completely adore this world. An easy 5 star read.
Jenni Heins
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a step up from some of the previous Bruce titles...but, of course, the first is the best!
Allison
I love this grumpy ol' bear.
Carolyn Stover
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
To read it is to love it ...more
Beverly
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He's back and he's grumpier than ever! Great fun read!
Kathryn
Shelves: picture-book
Bruce is my spirit animal. Another delightfully grumpy adventure.
Chance Lee
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
I wonder if Bruce's hatred of neighbors comes from a lifetime of living with manipulative users with boundary issues like mine do.
Margaux
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce will never not get five stars from me.
Sharla Desy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I am sitting in the Pacific Northwest, anxiously waiting to hear how all my friends in North Carolina and Virginia fare as hurricane Dorian approaches them. And this book shows up in my mailbox. Curmudgeonly Bruce finds himself host to all the animals in the forest as they seek shelter from a big storm. They make themselves comfortable in his house and interfere with his peace and quiet. When the storm ends, they all return to their homes, leaving Bruce alone to deal with the enormous tree ...more
Amanda
Thank heavens for Bruce who shows us that you don't have to be the outgoing life of the party to be #1 in people's hearts and you don't have to be anything other than yourself--whether that self is grumpy or gregarious--to be all right. Other children's authors have tried to do this with their bears or their characters but I don't think any have done it so well as Higgins. I adore Bruce.

This latest book had me smiling the whole way through--all the little asides, the nods, the sweet bits--I just
Pam
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bruce the bear returns in this story about a massive storm. All of his neighbors seek shelter in his home. He's not happy about it but lets them stay. Bruce helps rescue a rabbit and mouse caught out in the storm and everyone works together to rescue him. They all repair his home after a tree lands on it during the rain. They add a rumpus room for everyone else to gather while Bruce grumps in his chair.
Higgins is a master at capturing expressions on his characters. Readers can feel the
Kirsti Call
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: publisher
"Bruce was a bear who did not neighbors. Neighbors were loud. They were always interrupting... and pestering. Worse still, neighbors lived all over Bruce's neighborhood."

BRUCE'S BIG STORM by Ryan T. Higgins is another hilarious and heartwarming installment of the Mother Bruce series. I love curmudgeonly Bruce! And I love how he hates things but always helps the other animals in the end. Filled with comical and expressive illustrations, this book is the kind of read aloud that kids will want to
Sara Magnafichi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ryan T. Higgins never disappoints when it comes to a new book in the Bruce series! Bruce does not enjoy his neighbors, when a big storm comes through, the neighborhood creatures all come to Bruce's house to brave out the storm together! Someone notices someone stuck out in the storm who needs help! Can the community come together during this scary time? Can Bruce get past his feelings of annoyance with his neighbors?

As a #Kidlit fan, you also have to love all of the "easter eggs" Higgins hides
Raven Black
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not a Bruce book fan, for the most part. I appreciate the work that goes into making a book; I appreciate the illustrations and I understand why many people enjoy them. They tend not to be for me. However, this newest book in the Bruce series is amusing. On one hand, I still wish the neighbors (and his roommates) would let him be. Let him be the grumpy bear he likes being. But on the other, I understand why this time it good friends were around. For fans of Bruce’s other adventures (even if ...more
Jana
Everyone's favorite grumpy bear, Bruce, is back with another awesome picture book. Bruce and his friends are settled into his cozy house as a nasty storm approaches. While Bruce hates visitors and noisy neighbors, he allows them to shelter in his storm. As the storm goes from bad to worse, readers will see how these friends work together so that everyone is safe. There are some great messages in this book about the importance of helping our neighbors in need and being kind. A good companion book ...more
Danielle
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love Bruce, but I was disappointed by this book for two reasons:
1. The setting from the previous books had changed (he lives in a wooden house instead of a cave). I like continuity in children's books.
2. The geese barely made an appearance. Even the mice from Hotel Bruce had a more prominent place in this story.

** edited to add- I see there is a Bruce book between that we have not read, that would perhaps explain the change in setting. Still, I miss the geese in this one and so I didn't love
Sheri
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce the bear is having a hard time enjoying his home with all the neighbors coming and going and wanting shelter from the storm. He isn't a social bear and doesn't welcome company but the forest animals move in anyway. When the worst event happens with the storm, it is these forest animal neighbors that help Bruce recover after the storm. This is one of many Mother Bruce books, Ryan T. Higgins has written and illustrated with humor and his cranky old bear. No geese in this version. Your young ...more
Alicia Evans
Bruce's home becomes the location for all the neighborhood animals to wait out a big scary storm, no matter what Bruce wants. Another funny Bruce book that is a joy to read. This one has a little more action to it than some of the other titles, and the book is quite compelling and humorous.

For: bear fans; readers wanting a silly book.

Possible red flags: depictions of frustration and anger; scary storms.
Linda
Bruce's latest adventure shows the usual grumpy bear, allowing all the neighbors to shelter in his home during a storm. No matter his grumpy demeanor, Bruce's actions show he cannot turn away when there is a need. Lucky for him, his neighbors also do not turn away. It will always be good to read, enjoy and discuss these stories about Bruce. Ryan Higgins's story shows a neighborhood of love, with full color page-fulls of all those wonderful animals, including Bruce!
Jocelin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the Bruce the Bear series by Ryan T. Higgins. Bruce is a truly grumpy bear that seems to always be "put-upon" by well meaning acquaintances. As much as he is continuously being overrun by guests that want to come into his home to ride out a big storm, he soon needs their assistance.
This is a great book about how one grumpy bear can show passive hospitality and still seem like a cuddly teddy bear. This book has it's funny moments and the series is still rock solid.
Nicole
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ryan Higgins did it again!! I love Grumpy Bruce and all the trouble that follows him. I love the illustrations, always!
The story starts with Bruce's neighbors buggy him constantly. Then, all of his neighbors ask to stay at his place during the storm, which ends up being a rescue mission.
Then, something terrible happens and Bruce gets some help from his neighbors, even if he didn't want it. Great ending as well.
I'm always on the edge of my seat waiting for the next Bruce Story!
Jill Culmo
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The latest installment about everyone's favorite grumpy bear did not disappoint. This is a story about how a community comes together during and after a storm. But the best part of the book are the small details that Higgins has included in the illustrations throughout the book and in the end pages.
Kim
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bruce is back and grumpier than ever!! A big storm hits and everyone in Soggy Hollow runs to Bruce's house for shelter. First, there is a rescue of a bunny with a mouse, Bruce, and the whole gang. Then a large tree falls on the house and nearly destroys it. All the animals chip in and rebuild and even adding a rumpus room.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Why?

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Bruce (5 books)
  • Mother Bruce
  • Hotel Bruce
  • Bruce's Big Move
  • Santa Bruce (A Mother Bruce book)