Start by marking “Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!--I have as much soul as you,--and full as much heart!

Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre is a beloved classic, celebrated today by readers of all ages and revered as a masterwork of literary prowess. But what of the famous writer herself?

Originally published under the pseudon
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Tatiana
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Pretty good. Hadn’t expected to learn something new, but I did. Some modernized dialog is a little jarring though.
Literary Soirée
Will be delighted to review this title when the ARC issues are resolved or the title returns to NetGalley.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity.
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
It is so difficult to separate my thoughts on this graphic novel from my complete, and utter dislike of Charlotte Brontë, and my detestation of Jane Eyre, but I'm going to do my best.

From a characterisation point of view Charlotte Brontë before Jane Eyre perfectly captures the excessive melodrama of Charlotte Brontë. It was a melodrama that seeped into every moment of her prose and is one of the reasons I dislike her so much - but was perfectly realised in this graphic novel. While it annoyed m
Erin
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

I think it fair to say Glynnis Fawkes’ Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre will find an audience in those already familiar with its subject matter, but I feel the brilliance of this piece rests in how it introduces its iconic heroine to its target audience.

Younger readers are far less likely to know Charlotte’s story and I liked how Fawkes’ deft approach presents the material while drawing expressive parallels to both Brontë’s
Julie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of a blog tour for Rockstar Book Tours and it did not disappoint! I am a huge fan of graphic novels so I jumped at the opportunity to read this and was so glad that I did. Glynnis Fawkes did a fantastic job of not only portraying Charlotte's life prior to writing Jane Eyre, but she also created such beautiful illustrations. I adore her drawing style and I think it made my reading experience much more enjoyable. I'll admit that had this been a regular novel about Charlotte's l ...more
Tintaglia
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nomini Charlotte Brontë e subito tutti saltano su con Jane Eyre*.

Ma Jane Eyre è stato un punto di svolta: Charlotte aveva già scritto un romanzo (rifiutato), aveva vissuto in un collegio, perso la madre e due sorelle, studiato all'estero e conosciuto il grande amore.

Jane Eyre le garantisce la fama (in un certo senso, visto che venne pubblicato sotto pseudonimo), e l'accesso a una società letteraria che lei, giovano donna di carattere, tagliata fuori dal mondo se non per libri e giornali, intrapp
Sarah Schanze
I grabbed this on a whim at SPX this year after chatting with the author, and this was really fascinating! I realized I know almost nothing about the Brontes, lol. The artwork was simple but eye-catching and delicate. It makes me want to try reading their books again (or for the first time. Sorry, Anne).
Holly
I must admit from the start that I am an absolute Brontë sisters nerd and fangirl, so when I saw the announcement for this tour, I immediately jumped at the chance to take part. I have read all of the Brontë sisters’ books, as well as a variety of fictional accounts of their lives (one of my absolute favorite being Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley, my detailed review of which you can read here), and I was thrilled to add this graphic novel to my collection. Like Worlds of Ink and Shado ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I think we need a new term for books like this: it's more of a graphic biography than a graphic novel. As such, we don't have a story with an arc or pacing; rather, this is a series of vignettes of Charlotte Bronte's younger years. Each scene is derived from Charlotte's letters/musings as well as the thoughts of her contemporaries who interacted with her. As such, it is a bit jarring and things jump around quite a bit.
BookTrib.com
Sep 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: ya
At a time when the topic of feminism is more prevalent than ever in children’s literature, the deeply motivating graphic biography Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre (Disney-Hyperion) by Glynnis Fawkes is a great introduction for children ages 11 and older to this literary classic.

“Literature cannot be the business of a woman’s life,” the Poet Laureate Robert Southey tells Bronte in a letter to open the story. From panel to panel, we see Bronte’s expressions change, from anger to dismay and then
Lenoire
Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre is a well known classic and beloved by people of all ages. It is known as a literary masterpiece. This graphic novel shows how Jane Eyre was born out of Charlotte's personal hardship and tragedy. The work was originally published under Currer Bell. In Jane Eyre, Charlotte tried to show characters who were often ignored in popular literature at the time. Fans of Charlotte Bronte will love this graphic novel. I found the book shows an interesting point of view of Charl ...more
Jackie (Jacademia_)
A wonderful little introduction to Charlotte and the other Brontës for young readers with a thoughtful introduction by Alison Bechdel that highlights not only Brontë/Jane Eyre's continued relevance in the contemporary, but also the importance of images in Jane Eyre and its place, accordingly, in graphic history.

Thank you to Disney-Hyperion and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Britt
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-star-arcs
A lovely, beautifully illustrated story of one of literature's greats. A tale of perseverance sure to inspire any who read it. Fawkes lends new life to Charlotte - a force to be reckoned with - using the most perfect combination of found writings and imagined dialogue. Each panel lends new insight with especially emotive illustrations.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This text is another engaging title from Disney/Hyperion. The pairing of illustrations with classic literature makes this an accessible title, and one I would gladly use with a wide range of ages.

Charlotte Bronte before Jane Eyre is ripe for reading and it’s a book I would readily buy as a reader and educator.
Alexandra
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, quick read that captures the creative genesis of the entire Brontë family and characterizes Charlotte perfectly. Anyone who is curious about the Brontës should definitely pick this up
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.

I am so excited to read this one!
Katrina
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The introduction by Alison Bechdel was interesting. Fawkes certainly has talent at conveying emotion through such simple figures. A worthwhile biography for all lovers of the Brontë sisters.
Kristin
This is a great introduction to the life of Charlotte Brontë, especially for kids and teenages. I liked that it was a graphic novel, so it wasn't too heavy and boring to read.
Linda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this as an ARC at ALA 2019. As someone who loves Jane Eyre but has only read a little about Charlotte Bronte and her siblings this was a wonderful overview in a graphic novel format.
Bah Humpug