Start by marking “Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!--I have as much soul as you,--and full as much heart!

Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre is a beloved classic, celebrated today by readers of all ages and revered as a masterwork of literary prowess. But what of the famous writer herself?

Originally published under the
Published September 24th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre

Start your review of Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre
Tatiana
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Pretty good. Hadn’t expected to learn something new, but I did. Some modernized dialog is a little jarring though.
Literary Soirée
Will be delighted to review this title when the ARC issues are resolved or the title returns to NetGalley.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity.
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
It is so difficult to separate my thoughts on this graphic novel from my complete, and utter dislike of Charlotte Brontë, and my detestation of Jane Eyre, but I'm going to do my best.

From a characterisation point of view Charlotte Brontë before Jane Eyre perfectly captures the excessive melodrama of Charlotte Brontë. It was a melodrama that seeped into every moment of her prose and is one of the reasons I dislike her so much - but was perfectly realised in this graphic novel. While it annoyed
Rod Brown
Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books, so I was quite happy to come across this graphic novel biography of Charlotte Brontë. It's quite well done and offers many glimpses into the real-life moments that Brontë included in her novel. Having just read Little Women it's also fascinating to see the many parallels that exist with that book and its author's real life.
Erin
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

I think it fair to say Glynnis Fawkes’ Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre will find an audience in those already familiar with its subject matter, but I feel the brilliance of this piece rests in how it introduces its iconic heroine to its target audience.

Younger readers are far less likely to know Charlotte’s story and I liked how Fawkes’ deft approach presents the material while drawing expressive parallels to both Brontë’s
Kathleen Flynn
This was utterly delightful!

It would be a great introduction to Bronte biography if you didn't know anything about them, but knowing a little about them makes it even more fun: recognizing how Fawkes remixes pieces of the Brontes' own art into her drawings (for example, a drawing Charlotte made of Anne with a veil, Emily's drawing of her dog Grasper) or faithfully reproduces scenes from the moors, the parsonage, the village of Haworth, etc. I loved how playfully it mixes in the fantasy world of
Carol Tilley
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoughtfully crafted introduction to Charlotte and the rest of the Brontë clan.
Julie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
I read this as part of a blog tour for Rockstar Book Tours and it did not disappoint! I am a huge fan of graphic novels so I jumped at the opportunity to read this and was so glad that I did. Glynnis Fawkes did a fantastic job of not only portraying Charlotte's life prior to writing Jane Eyre, but she also created such beautiful illustrations. I adore her drawing style and I think it made my reading experience much more enjoyable. I'll admit that had this been a regular novel about Charlotte's ...more
Deanna Siegel
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This youth graphic novel dives deep into the lives of the Bronte sisters, with the focus on Charlotte. While I felt the timeline was a bit choppy and the dialogue/details a little odd in places, I think it was overall an informative story. Charlotte Bronte is one of my favorite authors and I was hoping for a little bit more of her inspiration for Jane Eyre to be included. However, I will read anything about the Bronte sisters, and I appreciated how often the moors were shown and mentioned.
Sarah Schanze
I grabbed this on a whim at SPX this year after chatting with the author, and this was really fascinating! I realized I know almost nothing about the Brontes, lol. The artwork was simple but eye-catching and delicate. It makes me want to try reading their books again (or for the first time. Sorry, Anne).
Krysta
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I would not have gotten much out of the story did I not already know Charlotte's biography. The book covers a lot in little space, meaning emotional responses seem lacking in order to hurry the pace, and connections between events are not explicit. I would have liked a longer volume, as well as quotes around any dialogue pulled from Bronte's actual writings. Right now it is unclear what is quoted, paraphrased, or invented. Not a must read for Bronte fans, but a serviceable introduction ...more
Ally Kumari
Look, Jane Eyre happens to be like my favourite book and Charlotte Brontë is MY GIRL whom I will defend and love forever. And I was absolutely thrilled when I learned about this graphic novel. I enjoyed it immensely and would have loved it to cover her entire life, though I realize this book is aimed at younger readers and they may get easily depressed the furhter the story would take them.
Holly
I must admit from the start that I am an absolute Brontë sisters nerd and fangirl, so when I saw the announcement for this tour, I immediately jumped at the chance to take part. I have read all of the Brontë sisters’ books, as well as a variety of fictional accounts of their lives (one of my absolute favorite being Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley, my detailed review of which you can read here), and I was thrilled to add this graphic novel to my collection. Like Worlds of Ink and ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I think we need a new term for books like this: it's more of a graphic biography than a graphic novel. As such, we don't have a story with an arc or pacing; rather, this is a series of vignettes of Charlotte Bronte's younger years. Each scene is derived from Charlotte's letters/musings as well as the thoughts of her contemporaries who interacted with her. As such, it is a bit jarring and things jump around quite a bit.
Geoff
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
My Recommendation: This is a great introductory biography of Charlotte (and her siblings). The illustration style is pleasing and easy to follow, and the narrative hits all of the highlights without spending too much time on any one particular instance. Fawkes made the right decision to stop at the submission of Jane Eyre for publication as I think that part of Charlotte's life is a lot more well-known and studied, and honestly is a lot more boring than the fantastical childhood fantasies ...more
Craig
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
“I’ll read it when I have a moment to myself.”

What a thrill this was! Fawkes focuses her story on Charlotte and the various influences on her work. In doing so, the ubiquitous struggles of the artist are elevated. The desire to write, crippled by the need to eat/ pay bills, is the thing that both drives & disrupts Charlotte’s writing. This struggle is made even more heartbreaking through Fawkes’s art, where the eyes of her characters speak volumes without words. On the moors of Haworth, the
BookTrib.com
Sep 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: ya
At a time when the topic of feminism is more prevalent than ever in children’s literature, the deeply motivating graphic biography Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre (Disney-Hyperion) by Glynnis Fawkes is a great introduction for children ages 11 and older to this literary classic.

“Literature cannot be the business of a woman’s life,” the Poet Laureate Robert Southey tells Bronte in a letter to open the story. From panel to panel, we see Bronte’s expressions change, from anger to dismay and then
Cassie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhh, this graphic novel was a breath of fresh air. As one of my beloved authors, I really enjoy learning new information about Charlotte Brontë, so Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre was the perfect graphic novel for me to pick up. Moreover,Jane Eyre is my all-time favorite book, so I was excited to read a new medium source that explores Charlotte Brontë life and her journey to writing it.

Filled with black and white pages muted with grayish blue water-colored tones, Fawkes explores the hardships
Alicia
The title says it all-- giving readers a peak behind the curtain of the Bronte sisters' life as they grew up and decided to take pseudonyms in order to publish their work when it wasn't appropriate for women to be doing it at all. And you can't beat having a foreword by Alison Bechdel either.

It captures the mood of the household and the various locations that the girls either worked or lived in as they were moved around a little after their mother's early death. It was about the relationships
Tabby
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
Charlotte Bronte is one of my favorite authors and I really enjoyed this graphic novel that gives a look at her early years that shaped her into the writer that is still so loved by many today.

I have read a number of materials on Charlotte Bronte's life but getting to see the story of her childhood and young adult life illustrated in a graphic novel was such a fun experience.

This graphic novel is definitely a summary. Personally I would not have minded a more in depth look of Charlotte
Lenoire
Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre is a well known classic and beloved by people of all ages. It is known as a literary masterpiece. This graphic novel shows how Jane Eyre was born out of Charlotte's personal hardship and tragedy. The work was originally published under Currer Bell. In Jane Eyre, Charlotte tried to show characters who were often ignored in popular literature at the time.Fans of Charlotte Bronte will love this graphic novel. I found the book shows an interesting point of view of ...more
Kristine
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Charlotte Bronte Before Jane Eyre by Glynnis Fawkes is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in mid-September.

I was extremely looking forward to this book among all the other Bronte and Haworth books I’ve come across these days, mainly due to my interest chiefly in Charlotte Bronte and, secondary, with a podcast I’m helping out with about Gothic romance. Within the gray pencilled sketches of Charlotte’s girlhood and womanhood is her determination to create and succeed, feeling isolated and
Amanda
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2020
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this and was glad to see so much research and use of Bronte’s own words. I can imagine that some of my students might find this interesting and very accessible, too. I had a little trouble telling some of the characters apart and would have liked a little more detail in some areas, but hey, sisters look alike and Fawkes acknowledges that she couldn’t cover everything. A good read overall.
Britt Margit
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arc
A lovely, beautifully illustrated story of one of literature's greats. A tale of perseverance sure to inspire any who read it. Fawkes lends new life to Charlotte - a force to be reckoned with - using the most perfect combination of found writings and imagined dialogue. Each panel lends new insight with especially emotive illustrations.
Maureen E
You know I love a Charlotte Bronte biography, and the graphic format is a nice touch. This focuses on the years before publication. I liked the style of the drawing and the way it reinterprets Charlotte's life. Could it have been a little more explicit about the COMPLETE AWFULNESS of both Patrick and Branwell Bronte? Yes.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the Brontes and one of my most favorite books of all time is Jane Eyre. I enjoyed delving in once again into their lives, which were all sadly too brief. What they left as literary legacies were true gifts. This was an interesting look specifically at Charlotte's life and I learned things about her I didn't know before.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This text is another engaging title from Disney/Hyperion. The pairing of illustrations with classic literature makes this an accessible title, and one I would gladly use with a wide range of ages.

Charlotte Bronte before Jane Eyre is ripe for reading and it’s a book I would readily buy as a reader and educator.
Melody
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this, as Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books and I thought a graphic novel introduction to the Brontes would be a good place for Izzy to start. But I’m not really sure who the audience for this book is. It’s rather dark and dry for a middle grade reader, but doesn’t have much depth for an adult reader.
Kirsten
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I actually loved this. It doesn’t go to any great lengths to show how very EXTRA all the Bronte sibs were, but you get a bit of the flavor of it all. (Branwell - who is obviously the WOOOOOOORST ever - seems less awful than usual here.) I love that their epic fantasy juvenilia is included here.
tori1713
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love graphic novels, and this one definitely pleased me! I have not read Jane Eyre, but knowing charlotte’s childhood was so interesting! I recommend this book to anyone looking for a fast/ interesting read.

• Becoming RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Journey to Justice
  • The Okay Witch
  • Queen of the Sea
  • The Crossover
  • Go with the Flow
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Stargazing
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Hot Comb
  • Fever Year: The Killer Flu of 1918
  • The Black Mage
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Stage Dreams
  • This Was Our Pact
  • No Ivy League
  • The Hard Tomorrow
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice