Start by marking “War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery” as Want to Read:
War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery

War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery

(War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #1-5)

The creators of the blockbuster podcast The Adventure Zone bring their talents to Marvel for a wild romp through THE WAR OF THE REALMS! Earth is at war, besieged by an army of Frost Giants, Trolls and Fire Goblins - and the mighty Thor is nowhere to be found! But could it be that the key to turning the tide is...Thor's baby sister? Journey into Mystery with Spider-Man (Mil ...more
Published September 10th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about War of the Realms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Realms

Start your review of War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery
Roy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just didn't work for me.
Ithil
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Una historia autoconclusiva dentro de el arco de "War of the Realms".

Me hice con este comic básicamente porque está guinizado por los McElroy de los cuales soy muy fan. Y en ese aspecto el comic no decepciona, el humor es magnífico. Definitivamente puedes ver su mano en el guión, incluso oír sus voces en algunas ocasiones. Creo que los personajes hacen un buen equipo en tema de guión y se complementan muy bien.

Como historia dentro de un arco más grande está muy bien. Func
Chris Lemmerman
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know next to nothing about the McElroys, other than they do something called Adventure Zone, and they're my favourite podcaster's favourite podcasters. So there's that. I can also add 'write good comics' to that list as well though.

For a Marvel debut, WotR: JiM is an ambitious task - not only do they take a ragtag group of characters who have little to no history together, but they also have a huge amount of continuity to wade through. Even the very premise is complicated, as I'm pretty sure
Alex Sarll
Definitely one of the two best Journey Into Mystery runs to spin out of an Asgard-centric Marvel crossover this decade, though there is quite a drop-off after the top one. Not that this is bad, except possibly for the motivation of main antagonist (though he's more antagonish) Ares, which doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny. Other than that, it's a determinedly fun and low-rent story in which a grab-bag of heroes are dispatched across America to keep Thor's baby sister* out of enemy hands, a ...more
Quinn
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 / 5

Pros
- The humor is on point, as I would expect from the McElroy family. I especially enjoyed Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) and Spiderman (Miles Morales).
- I enjoyed the art style throughout, as well a number of smaller details (like how a number of characters have different fonts for their speech bubbles, the mixing of mythologies like Greek and Norse, etc). I know a number of these have been included in comic for decades, but I still noticed and appreciated their inclusion.

Cons
-/>/> ...more
Keith Moser
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Meant to pick this up when it was released as single-issues, but the comic book store I visited after War of the Realms #1 came out didn't have any more copies. And then I never called up my local shop to create a pull list for these five issues.

But a few months ago I had some Amazon digital credits, so I searched for a graphic novel collection, and lo and behold, here it was! After losing my copy of The Stand on the plane, I was stuck reading whatever I had on my Kindle (which is actually
Joshua
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By circumstance of being a spin-off series in a wide Marvel event, the characters and happenings of the McElroy Brother's debut at Marvel are mostly slight, but the series remains fun and well handled. Balder, brother of Thor, Lady Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, Wonderman, Miles Morales, Thori the God Dog, and Sebastian Druid are all teamed up to protect Laussa, daughter of Odin. On the way, they end up pursued by Ares and at many threatening pit stops, like a trailer park of Skrulls. It never gets too d ...more
Maisie Iven
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt like there was a lot of great movement and humor, and I felt like it all worked together to make a nice whole! The ragtag feel of the team was great and gave everyone spaces to shine and to grow! I haven't picked up a superhero comic in a minute, so maybe this wasn't the best one to dip my toes back in with because it does run on a lot of superhero knowledge and logic, which can be hard to get back into the mindset of, but ultimately not the worst quality for a comic to have. A fun read ...more
Tundextra
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: avengers-book
A accidentally selected group - Miles Morales, Hawkeye (Kate), Deathlocket, Thori (Thor's dog), Wonderman and Balder, are brought together to get Thor's baby sister to a safe heaven. Wait, what... baby sister?

Things have been happening in Thor's world! Anyways the book at times quite funny, sometimes fell into complete slapstick, which didn't work for me. The ending is pretty genius though. One of those slightly annoying big event ser
Nadja
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
*read as single issues*
This was fun, there are some great characters (although some also felt quite flat) and I really liked the dialogue. But the story just felt kind of random and sometimes just didn’t make sense. There’s also nothing in the story that’s really important for the War of the Realms. But I would still recommend it for people who really like (some of) the characters or just want something lighthearted and fun to read.
Ramon
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Was surprisingly really charmed by this. They found several interesting connections and even the big plot twist was interesting. If this is their first time writing a comic it's impressive work. The art is also nice and lively, with much personality; sort of has a Tim Green II vibe crossed with some late great Steve Dillon.
Sesana
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
On one hand, this book is overall pretty funny, and I absolutely loved the relationship between Miles and Thori. On the other, I can't help but feel like introducing yet another sibling of Thor is a terrible idea, and/or one that will never be referred to again.
Kelsey Brennan
I wasn't familiar with a lot of the characters in this book (just Hawkeye and Spider-Man), or the larger event, but I still had a good time reading! I'm a fan of the McElroy's humour, and I thought these characters were a good fit for them.
Bar Lovv
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A fun read for sure, but it's clear there is a lot more going on in the event than I am even remotely up on. Might not be one for the uninitiated who are just fans of the McElroys but I'd say it's worth your time :)
Andres Pasten
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hasta ahora el único tie-in que vale la pena. Divertido y de agradable lectura.
Robert
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, fantasy, sci-fi
You could feel the McElroys all over this. I mean that in a good way.
Matt
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Collects War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery issues #1-5

It seemed like this one had some potential to be pretty cool, but in the end it felt like a waste of time.
Steven
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious

The McElroys do not disappoint. Once again they've released a hilarious graphic novel. I hope this is just a beginning to a long and lasting partnership between Marvel and the McElroys. A must read.
Belle

• Thor, Vol. 1: God of Thunder Reborn
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Secrets and Rumors
  • Asgardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: The Infinity Armada
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
Clint McElroy is the father of Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy. He does the Adventure Zone podcast with them and has also appeared on several Maximum Fun donors-only bonus episodes.

Clint is the Ultimate Dad.

War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery (5 books)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #1 (of 5)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #2 (of 5)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #3 (of 5)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #4 (of 5)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #5 (of 5)