Start by marking “Next Victim (DCI Rachel King, #1)” as Want to Read:
Next Victim (DCI Rachel King, #1)

Next Victim

(DCI Rachel King #1)

MEET DETECTIVE RACHEL KING IN THIS BRILLIANT NEW CRIME SERIES.

DISCOVER A BRAND NEW MYSTERY FROM #1 BEST-SELLING AUTHOR HELEN H. DURRANT THAT WILL HAVE YOU GRIPPED FROM START TO NERVE-SHREDDING FINISH.

A young man’s body is found burnt and tortured by a Manchester canal. Detective Rachel King investigates. But she has a secret, the love of her life is a well-known villain.
Published January 15th 2019 by Joffe Books

To ask other readers questions about Next Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Victim

Start your review of Next Victim (DCI Rachel King, #1)
Louise Wilson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
DCI Rachel King #1

A young man's body has been found burnt and tortured by one of Manchester's canals. DCI Rachel King has two teenage daughters and is divorced. She is called to investigate the young man's murder. She also has a secret that she is hiding from her past that could badly affect her career.

This is the first book in a new series by Helen H. Durrant and if this first book is anything to go by, this is going to be a great series. The pace is good with lots of secrets and stuff going on
Gary
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Next Victim' is the start of a new crime series featuring Detective Rachel King by author Helen Durrant. I have read several books by this author from her other series with mixed results but this new character really does start with an excellent story.
Detective Rachel King lives in Cheshire with her two teenage daughters, Meg and Mia, next door to her ex husband Alan. She is an excellent detective but like many good characters not short of problems and personality flaws. Detective Rachel King
Sue
Next Victim is the first book in a brilliant crime series by best-selling author, Helen Durrant. This novel features detective DCI Rachel King, a thirty-nine-year old divorced mother of two teenage daughters. Having enjoyed reading most of her novels, I look forward to starting a new series.
The novel is set in the Cheshire, ten miles outside Manchester.

A young man’s body is found burnt and tortured by a Manchester canal. DCI Rachel King, from the serious crime squad for east Manchester CID is
Linda Strong
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
NEXT VICTIM is the first in a new series that features Detective Rachel King. Rachel is an almost-forty mother of 2 teenagers and the next-door neighbor of her ex-husband. Rachel is diligent, and has the respect of most of her team.

Rachel is called to investigate when a burnt and tortured body is found by the local canal. But this is not the only body she will find in this condition. The victims are all similar in appearance ... young, good-looking, blond men.

Once identified, the first victim is
Kirsty ❤️
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new series from Helen H Durrant and a cracking one at that. There's a lot going on in this but it's still easy enough to follow. I like the new DCI of this series, she's strong and intelligent but with questionable taste in men as she has in the past had a relationship with one of Manchester's crime barons. I'm intrigued as to how this will play out in future books.

The other detectives are interesting enough. The DS has split from his wife but seems to be dealing quite well and there are two
Janet Newport
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

This was a nice solid read for me. It is the first Rachel King story and I do hope there are more. Rachel is a DCI with the Manchester Police. She is also a gal with a lot of secrets.... some of which are sorta resolved with this story, although given her inability to be completely honest with anyone (about anything), I suspect those secrets will continue to rise up and haunt her again in the future. She is still a very engaging character even
Lou
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Next Victim is the first novel in the new DCI Rachel King series by bestselling author Helen Durrant, based around the goings-on in the Greater Manchester Police Force. I often get over excited about beginning a brand spanking new series, but you never really know what you are going to get. Here, unfortunately, the balance between the plot and characters is all wrong. I know that the first book of a new series has to introduce the characters and let the reader learn about them then hopefully ...more
Ceecee
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1 -2 stars. This one was most definitely not for me and was what I call a dot to dot police procedural. The characters were wooden, the plotting laboured and predictable. The central character of DCI Rachel King had an obsession with Jed McAteer who was described as a villain or a crime boss. Hardly conducive to your chosen career path. Oh boy, did she bang on about this until I wanted to scream. She was like a broken record - get over yourself woman. Some of the dialogue produced the eye ...more
Cheryl
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gobsmacked!

Rating System

5 Stars - This book is THE ONE. Loved it. Recommended it. I walked uphill both ways in a blizzard with a small child strapped in my back to buy it. I will leave it in my will to my favorite child.

LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen Durrant has done it again with this gripping and addictive police procedural!

So Next Victim is the first in a new series featuring Detective Rachel King, not to be confused with Helen Durrant’s other ‘Victim’ series featuring Matt Brindle, they are two very different detectives!

Rachel has a bit of a messy home life, with two teenage girls, an ex husband living next door and an ex who she still in love with, who is a gangster! Her only escape from the madness is work but this new case has
Joyce
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

DCI Rachel King lives in a highly dysfunctional family. Her two teenage daughters bicker all the time and she lives next door to her ex-husband who wants to join their two houses. Oh boy… She also has an ex-boyfriend, who wants to get reacquainted, but he is a major crime boss and she knows she’d be in deep trouble at work if such a relationship came out. She loves him however. What to do?

She gets a call to a dead body. The young man has been horribly tortured and murdered. There is no
Donna Maguire

I love this author’s writing style and have read everything that she has written to date and loved them all - she has a brilliant writing style and I find her books to be very addictive and she is one of my very favourite author’s for this genre!

I loved the plot line for this one. I thought it was well researched and well developed, I loved that this book is the start of a new series featuring DCI Rachel King, I thought that she was a very intriguing
Kat Dietrich

Next Victim by Helen H Durrant is the first in the Detective Rachel King series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Joffe Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books):
DCI Rachel King is with the serious crime squad for east Manchester. Her team consists of: DS Elwyn Pryce, her long-time colleague and friend; DC Jonny
Denise
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rachel King is a DCI with the serious crime squad based in Ancoats. She commands a team for east Manchester CID and this is the first in a new crime thriller series.

A young gay man is found tortured to death in the canal. He was young, blonde and beautiful. When he's identified as Oliver Frodshom, some connections are made to a local hardware supplier and leads to questions about the nearby land. In addition, Oliver is known to a friend of Rachel's daughter. Alice Brough was angry with Oliver
The Cats’ Mother
I bought this rather pedestrian police procedural, because I had heard of the author, and recently received the sequel, which has just been published, from NetGalley. It wasn’t bad, but there wasn’t really anything to distinguish it from all the other English crime thrillers featuring prickly female detectives, so I’m going to need a break before I move on to the next one.

DCI Rachel King has a tough job balancing her detective work with raising her selfish teenage daughters after the break-up of
Books 'n' All  Promotions
First in a new series by the brilliant Helen Durrant

This is the first in a new series by Helen Durrant and I was very excited to read it.

The main character is DCI Rachel King. Mother of 2, with her ex husband living next door and an on off relationship with one of the bad guys this is a real roller coaster of a read with a lot of focus on Rachel's personal life which makes it different in a very good way.

Helen has expertly managed to develop a character via a case. As work becomes entangled
peggy
Another of my favourite authors and publishers.
This book is the start of a new series featuring Detective Rachel King. Rachel is a very complex lady divorced with two teenage daughters and a past that she needs to keep buried. It would end her career, in the meantime she has a very vicious killer on her patch and they are running rings around the police.
As I said before i love this author and this new series has definitely started with a BANG !!!!!
I was hooked from the first page I just had to
Joanna Larum
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At last, a detective who is also the single mum of two teenagers! I have been in those shoes, although I wasn't a detective, and Helen Durrant has here produced a crime story which weaves the difficulties Rachel King has in her personal life with the difficulties of trying to catch a sadistic murderer. Rachel has more problems because a boyfriend she had at university is now a major criminal in the Greater Manchester area and he keeps trying to contact her while she is investigating a case which ...more
Aleana Harris
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DCI Rachel King is a mother of two teenage girls and is divorce.

As she is called in to investigate a young man murder she has deal with a secret from her past that can affect her career and her family.

As the investigate heats up it leads to her daughter friend Alice who insist she had a twin brother. As i was reading I thought she was involve with the murders because she lost her brother and everyone thought she was crazy and her
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for a review copy of Next Victim, the first novel to feature DCI Rachel King of GMP.

Rachel and the team investigate an incipient serial killer when the mutilated body of a young man is found in a canal near some waste ground. The investigation is hampered by Rachel’s secrets.

Next Victim is a solid read but it failed to capture or retain my attention for several reasons. The novel is told from two perspectives, that of Rachel and her team and that
Joann
I love Helen Durrant's novels and this one was not a disappointment. I enjoyed the new Detective Rachel King but at times she seemed to be weak when it came to Jed. Then later, we find out why so then it makes sense. I can already see how this series will continue with Jed being the fly in the ointment but still helping Rachel out. As usual, the author does a great job at writing and pulling everything together. I will be following this new series.
Gary
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Daisy White
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a new series, and I was sucked right in from the start. There is definite room for some interesting character development, and this made an exciting start to a series. Tight, pacy writing and a good mix of sinister and dramatic. Looking forward to the next book!
Nicki Southwell
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is Helen Durrant at her very best. We are introduced to DCI Rachel King who heads up a murder investigation that eventually turns out to be a series of murders.

Her two daughters Meg and Mia live with her most of the time, the rest is spent with her ex-husband who lives next door.

The burned and stabbed remains of a young man are found in the centre of Manchester. There are no clues as to his identity and no obvious motive. Rachel's eldest daughter is at Uni and has a close friend Alice.
Vanessa
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x
This is the first in a new series by Helen Durrant and I just loved it.
Next Victim was just brilliant book and a great start to the new Detective Rachel King series,
I was hooked from the first few pages. Everything that Helen writes, is in so much detail and you just become a part of the book.

You meet Detective Rachel King when she is put in charge of a brutal murder of a young attractive blonde man who was found tortured and burnt by Manchester's Canal. Another young attractive blonde man
Cathy Geha
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Next Victim by Helen H. Durant
Detective Rachel King #1

A serial killer is on the loose and DCI Rachel King is put in charge of finding the perpetrator. Brutal murders of young attractive blond men is taking place and finding out who and why is at the center of this book. Rachel is not a character I found easy to like. She puts work before marriage and children and though she cares about her teenage daughters her main focus is her job. Some of her secrets come out as the story unfolds but I still
Bridget
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fantastic and exciting beginning to a new series featuring Detective Rachel King! I always love to read any crime series from the first book and this new series has definitely started with a bang.

Written by best-selling author Helen H. Durrant, this was a fast-paced crime thriller that had me hooked, even before I had swiped my e-reader to take me to the second page.

Helen H. Durrant has drawn a very deep and complex character in DCI Rachel King. She, fittingly, has a past that she
Sid
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, this certainly was one of the quickest book that I've read recently and I don't mean it in a bad way at all. It was gripping from the go and was a brilliant page turner. The characters in the story, especially DCI King was really well crafted. The fact that she was shown as a strong police officer but a struggling mother was really interesting. The characters came over as very real, even the killer who was killing people for an absurd reason. Overall, this is one of the better books I've ...more
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helen Currant strikes again. Another fast paced murder mystery. Someone is torturing and murdering young gay men in Manchester, and carefully crafting it so that the police look in a specific direction. The detective in charge has a secret which could interfere with the case, but will it?

An enjoyable book
Krystal
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second time this year (which is a shame as this is only my 7th book of 2019) that I have started a new series that has left me feeling like I've been missing out on a huge back story.

Rachel King as stated in the synopsis is divorced, and has a criminal ex. Pretty straight forward to start, but once you get into the story you realize there is simply too much about her life that you don't know. And with the way this story was laid out overall, what you don't know actually hurts your
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Five Bloody Hearts (DCI Matt Ballard, #2)
  • He Will Kill You (Maddie Ives, #2)
  • Murder On The Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #1)
  • Fear on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #3)
  • Your Last Lie (Tyrone Swift, #6)
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Revenge on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery, #2)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
  • Silent Murder (Detective Rebecca Everhart, #2)
  • Killer Blow (DI Sara Ramsey, #2)
  • Watch Her Die
  • No Right To Kill (DI Sara Ramsey, #1)
  • Dead of Night
  • Secrets on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery #5)
  • He Is Watching You (Maddie Ives, #1)
  • The Dead Can't Speak (DI Sara Ramsey, #3)
  • Shadow Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #7)
  • The Woman on the Cliff

DCI Rachel King (2 books)
  • Two Victims (DCI Rachel King, #2)