Start by marking “Ping” as Want to Read:
Ping

Ping

With the visual ingenuity of Press Here and the emotional resonance of What Do You Do with a Problem?, this wise and timely book about the fragile art of personal connection will strike a chord with children and adults alike.

In the era of social media, communication feels both more anxiety-producing, and more inescapable, than ever before. This clever, comforting picture
Published September 3rd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Ping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ping

Start your review of Ping
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars.

Excellent idea, confusing storyline.

This book uses the metaphor of “pinging” to send out our communication into the world. (Smiles, gestures, singing, etc.). We want to only choose to send positive and honest pings. Then we wait to see what “pong” we will receive back from others.

My four and five-year-old were confused by this storyline. I liked the general idea of it, but I don’t think it was executed in the way the author intended. Once I explained it to my children, I think they
La Coccinelle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This book is one big metaphor, with ping pong standing in for personal connection. As an adult, I can appreciate the message. I have my doubts, however, as to whether kids (especially younger ones) are going to "get it".

The simple text likens life to a game of ping pong. What you put out there are "pings" and what comes back to you are "pongs". You can only control the pings, not the pongs. The book basically acts like a simple instruction manual for connecting with others and with the world at
Tamara
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
OMG, everyone should read this.
Eloise Battey
My next Ping is this review...

I LOVED this book. I think is delivers a concept that is really hard, as social humans, to deal with and accept. It teaches children that something you cannot do is control other's reactions to your interactions with them. You cannot make someone smile back at you, you can't make people be kind, you can't make people want to spend time with you.. But all you can do is make sure that you're being the best person you can be. I think this can be a really frustrating
Alex Richey
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, meaningful story that resonates with anyone of any age. Great for family story time.
Rebekah
Ping visually represents the idea that as people we give out feelings, actions and experiences whilst everyone else responds to our ‘ping’ with their ‘pong’. We can not control how other people respond to what we do, if they even respond at all and that’s the message this books is sending. The colours, text and page layouts of this book are relatively simple but that means the message of the book is retained to whole way through and is what we as readers are directed to focus on.

Reading this
Cassandra
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HELLO THIS IS SO CUTE.

It's a picture book. I don't have thought-provoking opinions.

This is basically sending a message where, you could be the nicest to everyone you meet, but that doesn't mean everyone will be nice back. For every ping, there is a pong, but it is okay if you don't get your pong. That doesn't mean you stop pinging.

Anyways, adorable. So cute.
BrookesEducationLibrary
This is both a very simplistically told story yet with a hugely deep and meaningful metaphor throughout - I almost feel it's one of those books intended for adults otherwise the message is slightly lost in translation but still enjoyable for children nonetheless - the illustrations are super cute!
Karrie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are charming and the premise strong. I just felt it lost its charm by hammering the point too hard.
Jessica Gadd (love_my_dane_dolly_)
Cute childrens book about making human connections in an era filled with social media. It's definitely a great message for kids of a certain age (and adults) as social media plays a huge part in our lives these days. Overal an enjoyable book :)N
Leslie
Ping was a source of curiosity, that cover and how it landed it on all the lists. Oh, my. Think how picture books like Yamada’s question series (What Do You Do with an Idea? …a Problem?, etc.) resonate with an adult readership, to say nothing of the child audiences. Ping is one I will be recommending to my creative friends who’ve put themselves out there on social media.

Ani Castillo uses the game of Ping Pong to talk about the call and response of relationships. Our Ping may receive a Pong in
Lexi Whitaker
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sweet illustrations and fun vocabulary in Ping are just a few things that make it such a great read. I think while the story is fun and entertaining, it also adresses a deeper meaning that is so important to always remember. Our actions can influence and affect those around us whether we know it or not. Whenever we "ping", whether that be smiling at someone or saying a negative comment about someone, there in turn, will always be a "pong", the affect that our action has on those around us. ...more
Meredith
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This picture book uses ping pong to illustrate how the only thing a person can control is his/her own actions.

”We can only ping. The pong belongs to the other. You Ping. They Pong. They Pong. You Ping.”

Using the game ping pong and the computer function “ping” as metaphors, this picture books explains to young readers in second person the process of how we as humans act and react, send and receive. It encourages young readers to ping in a variety of ways.

A person “pings” through creative
Maria Martins

This was a really simple yet effective book revolving on the idea that as humans we give out so much to the world, whether it is love, friendship, our talents and ideas etc. Castillo uses the idea of playing ping pong to highlight that sometimes we may not get the same energy that we give out (ping) back (the pong). The key message to keep pinging in life no matter how many pongs you receive is something so important to share with children who are still understanding how to how to develop
Ashley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great essay in picture book format encouraging kids to put themselves out there, with the idea that they can't control how others will react to them. Wonderful resource for children experiencing consequences (positive or negative) for their words and actions. Could be a very useful book for a lesson. Not all that entertaining storywise so better to introduce it intentionally.

Recommended for ages 3 to 8.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
5 stars

This picture book is about the ping and pong of life. It describes how what you put out into the world, as a person, is a ping. What others send back to you, is a pong. You have control over your pings, but you cannot control the pongs you get back. It gives great examples of pings and gives suggestions on how to handle pongs. The metaphor is very abstract and may need some deeper explanation for young readers, but the concept is really good!

- Miss Emily
Melissa Anderson
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the illustrations in this book will capture the attention of small children. They may not get the message yet, but this would be a good story to read to children at different developmental stages. So that the message of our Pings (what we send out) and the Pongs (what we receive back) the feelings and intentions, is instilled in them. To understand responses and the joy of self expression. I really loved this book and I know my niece will too.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A story about communication and forming relationships with others. The story seems beautifully simple but has an underling complex message. This would be best in a one-on-one format about how to build relationships with others for elementary children.
Lisa Boyd
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
This is a great book to start a conversation about actions for yourself and toward others. IF used properly, I think this book could be a great place to start a conversation with a child. I also think that it took me two readings to totally grasp and I am a grown-up. Good effort!
Rocío Va
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully simple book that explains something as complex as human relationships and the expectations we put on them.

I think it’s a great book to spark conversation with the little ones and to spark reflextion within yourself.
Emily
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. It is an interesting metaphor, but I feel like it wasn't explained enough to really understand it.
Kathryn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Loved the illustrations
Could be an interesting conversation starter for a classroom.
Kelly
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: emotions
I imagine this will go over the heads of the many children who read it
Erin
You can only Ping. Someone else Pongs back. Cute illustrations fill this book about communication and life for young ones.

Good for preschool and older kid storytimes.
Anthony
A look at how to connect with others on a personal level in today's world of mass and global communication.
emmy
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as blog-recs
Mentioned in a blog post at https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019...
Debbie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cheri
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
A great reminder that we can only be responsible for our own actions and not other people’s reactions. We can ping and learn from the pongs.
Evan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is me, sending out my Ping into the world. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

• The Fate of Fausto
  • Just Because
  • Reading Beauty
  • The Scarecrow
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Ruby’s Worry
  • The Proudest Blue
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Spencer's New Pet