Start by marking “The Ten Thousand Doors of January” as Want to Read:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

In the early 1900s, a young woman searches for her place in the world after finding a mysterious book in this captivating and lyrical debut.

"A gorgeous, aching love letter to stories, storytellers and the doors they lead us through...absolutely enchanting." —Christina Henry, national bestselling author of Lost Boys and Alice

In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treas
Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Thousand Doors of January, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Thousand Doors of January

Chaima ✨ شيماء
I see it.
I like it.
I want it.

I internally scream because it hasn't been released yet. 😩
Celeste
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Actual rating: way more than 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher (Orbit/Redhook) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
“Listen, not every story is made for telling. Sometimes just by telling a story you’re stealing it, stealing a little of the mystery away from it.”

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is quite possibly the most achingly beautiful novel I’ve ever read, a
Josiah Bancroft
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by Alix E. Harrow is a beautifully written and absorbing tale of lost love, stately prisons, ghastly villains, and terrible secrets. It’s a smart and roving adventure that has a full and thumping heart.

Harrow has created a mythology that is both tangible and tantalizing, and has injected that vision into turn of the 20th century America. The historic details greatly enrich and never distract from a narrative that spans generations, continents, and worlds. This i
Emily May
In the summer of 1901, at the age of seven, January Scaller found a Door. You know the kind of door–they lead to Faerie, to Valhalla, to Atlantis, to all the places never found on a map.

These portal fantasy premises get me EVERY TIME. This sounds a bit like McGuire's Wayward Children series, which I love. Also exciting that this comes highly recommend by Josiah Bancroft 😍 Can't wait!

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔑
karen
it's some top-notch book schwag when even the mailing envelope is fancy

this is the debut novel by the woman who wrote Autobiography of a Traitor and a Half-Savage, which i LOVED, and is one of those free tor shorts you can read here while you wait for this book to come out.

oh, and now MORE! a bookmark handmade by alix harrow herself! am i charmed? i AM!

my TBR stack might just kill me, but i will die happy. and squashed. happy and squashed.
Melissa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY SH*T. This book was like a drug to me. Portals and the multiverse and word magic and fascinating women and crisp, textured prose I wanted to fold and unfold like a letter. It's truly one of those books that's bigger on the inside, a house with countless rooms.
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
“Sometimes I feel like there are doors lurking in the creases of every sentence, with periods for knobs and verbs for hinges.”

Imagine being a child again, running through an overgrown field beneath a blue sky. Letting your hands trail through the tops of the wild grains when suddenly
you notice a raggedy blue door standing in the open. Would you open it?

That is exactly how The Ten Thousand Doors of January begins. In the early 1900s following a young deeply imaginative girl named January who most
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded to 4. It felt unfair to score this book 3 stars!
This book is really a well-written fantasy. It has the feel of a classic. The start was so compelling. I was drawn into January's world, feeling her isolation, loneliness, "unable to fit" mind state at heart. I think this was incredibly well written. But the more I read, the more I found it difficult to concentrate. I wanted to know more about the Ten Thousand doors, but it was revealed really slowly for my liking. I was expectin
wanderer (Para)
ARC received from the publisher (Redhook) on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Absolutely stunning and a strong candidate for the best book of 2019 for me, Ten Thousand Doors of January combines gorgeous prose with equally compelling characters and story. It's a book about books, a story about stories that hooked me in the first paragraph. It couldn't be more my type if it tried.
Reason and rationality reigned supreme, and there was no room for magic or mystery. There was no room, it tu
Cassandra
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have just finished the TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY and christ, the ending feels like coming home after a journey of a thousand years. I've got a lot of Feelings about this book.

It feels like a run, like a journey, like a chase, like a downhill rush through the shadows into a sun-dappled glade. I kept whispering to the book 'please' as I worried about it breaking my heart.

But it gets me home.

It's a book enamoured not just with the act of writing, not just with the idea of words, but also the c
keikii Eats Books
Absolutely beautifully written story. This contains so many of my favourite things, it makes me wonder if Harrow can read my mind. The Ten Thousand Doors of January is going to be one of those special books I'm going to think about for years.

Longer review to come closer to release.

In the meantime, to read other reviews, check out keikii eats books!
Megan C.
An absolutely brilliant work - I was hooked from the moment I read the first paragraph and found myself attached to my Kindle almost constantly until I could finish it. The story was gripping, the characters engaging, and I loved the ties to my home state of Kentucky.

I think this would be enjoyed most by readers who loved The Bear and The Nightingale, Once Upon A River, or The Rules of Magic.
Kaitlyn
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-2019, favorites
This book has swiftly become one of my all time favourites.

I would give it six stars if I could. With the feel of a classic mixed with the most beloved stories of your childhood, ‘The Ten Thousand Doors of January’ is escapism and lyricism at its finest. I’m baffled that this is a debut novel. It is the type of book that is clearly written by a reader, tugs at your heartstrings and firmly takes root in your mind. This book is a love letter to anyone who enjoys stories and finds solace in between
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This book ripped me apart and wrote me back together again. Alix E. Harrow’s debut novel is truly a work of art. I laughed, I cried, and I sat on the edge of my seat in suspense. January’s voice comes through each and every word – first like a gentle rain when her life is filled with upper class stability, and later like a typhoon when she must break away from the chains and preconceived notions holding her back. She wants so badly to be free, but can’t quite tear away without a push.

While the
Travis Riddle
The greatest thing about this book is the way it's written, which of course is a good quality to find in a book. Harrow's prose is fantastic, full of beautiful and interesting imagery and turns of phrase that help to elevate the story and our understanding of the main character's mindset and worldview.

I also enjoyed the metatextual aspect of the novel, with there being a book-within-a-book, though I do wish it had been explored further and expanded upon, as it's dropped about halfway through th
Sandy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A magical tale for anyone who has ever searched for another world at the back of a closet or on the other side of an arched tree branch in the woods.
Leah Rachel von Essen
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a fun, rich upcoming fantasy by Alix E. Harrow. January Scaller is a mixed-race girl living in the home of her father’s wealthy white patron. Feeling out of place and stifled, January’s world shifts when she finds a door in a wheat field that smells of the sea; and shifts again when she finds a book, years later, about romance, doors, and who might be closing them for good.

This novel was a compelling, fast read full of fascinating characters and worlds. The w
Alyssa Finnegan
3 1/2 stars.

First off, this book was beautifully written. I probably could have highlighted an A+ simile on every page, and so it was delightful to read. The plot is a portal fantasy somewhat similar to Seanan McGuire's Wayward children series; there are many different Doors to other worlds where people and things sometimes slip through. This appeals strongly to all the imaginative parts of me that long for other worlds and secret doorways, and the child inside of me was wide eyed and grabby han
Aly
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs-ebook
DNF'd at 37%

I just couldn't get into it! I found myself insanely bored, and that's so disappointing because I liked the premise! Can't get into the characters, and my god there's so many of them. I definitely feel in the minority when I say this, but I didn't like this at all. I just couldn't get myself to keep reading no matter how hard I tried. I seriously gave up on this. I'm definitely in the minority, so who knows what others may think about it. I just know that for me, this ain't it chief.
Racheal
3.75 stars. Beautifully written historical fantasy full of mystery, magical doorways, and wild, fierce women.

There are just two things that stop me from going full on rave mode; first is that it's told as a story-within-a-story, which is a narrative device that I don't particular love (I find that it tends to slow things down, and in this case it felt a bit info dumpy at times), and second is that the end lacked something emotionally for me.

Overall solid though, would recommend. Especially if
Jessica ☕
This story transported me back to the magic of childhood, when abandoned buildings carried wild and magical secrets and it was entirely possible that you had latent supernatural talents that hadn't yet manifested. I was spellbound for hundreds of pages.

I already know I'm going to read this again and again and again.

arc received from the publisher
Hermione Ireland
Ten Thousand Doors of January has that essence of reality that is so essential to brilliant fantasy writing, that takes you into its world and makes you loathe to leave. It reminded me of all the things I love about Neil Gaiman, strength, humour, ingenuity, terrible foes but with its own particular softness and charm. I loved it.
Kim
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agh! This was fantastic reading. Just magical enough to twinkle a bit and fully engrossing.

Sure some parts of the plot were obvious, no real twists here. But the fun is in the journey of reading this book. I personally love the story within a story style and it works very well here.

My only mild complaint is that I wish the reader had been treated to more descriptions of the worlds behind various doors. Maybe in a future novel? Would love to have a follow up to this. The ending was perfect but
Georgia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe how much i enjoyed this wonderful book. It was magical. The first half of the book sets up the life of our protagonist, January, and it isn't until the second half that I felt like the book really picked up and got interesting. Not to say the first half was boring or dull it just had a lot of information and set the scene. As soon as I figured out that the book is set from two points of view i was able to connect more to the different POVs. I preferred January's chapters as i fe ...more
Hiba
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as 2019-releases  ·  review of another edition
Why is the book that has January in its title releasing in September?

What is this behaviour? I'm dyimg for this book rn.
Ninoshka
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-r-c
*This ARC was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

The whole idea behind this book honestly felt so magical that I knew I had to get my hands on it. Right off the back the reader gets pulled into this worlds filled with such lyrical writing. The writing itself is fantastic and the reader can't help but fall in love with January and see the world through her eyes.

The details that are put into this book makes it so easy to imagine it perfectly. Because the writing itself is so m
E.
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reader, I wish I had written it.
Meghan
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I received this book as an ARC from Redhook in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

If I can best describe this book in one sentence it be The Secret Garden meets Bridge to Terrabithia with a gothic twist. Discovering an unknown book ending up to be like a diary that leads you to not only secrets about your existence but that there is a whole alternate universe that is unknown. These types of books at first used to really intimidate
Susan
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was overwhelmingly fantastic. Will there be more? I so enjoyed the concept of the doors - a different take on ways into different worlds.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Future of Another Timeline
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Chilling Effect
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Silver in the Wood
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Motherland
  • The City We Became
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Stepsister
  • The Lesson
I've been a student and a teacher, a farm-worker and a cashier, an ice-cream-scooper and a 9-to-5 office-dweller. I've lived in tents and cars, cramped city apartments and lonely cabins, and spent a summer in a really sweet '79 VW Vanagon. I have library cards in at least five states.

Now I'm a full-time writer living in with my husband and two semi-feral kids in Berea, Kentucky. It is, I'm very su
“Destiny is a pretty story we tell ourselves. Lurking beneath it there are only people, and the terrible choices we make.” 0 likes
“The will to be polite, to maintain civility and normalcy, is fearfully strong. I wonder sometimes how much evil is permitted to run unchecked simply because it would be rude to interrupt it.” 0 likes