Start by marking “The Ten Thousand Doors of January” as Want to Read:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  41,933 ratings  ·  8,076 reviews
In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored, and utterly out of place.

Then she finds a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds, and tells a tale of secret do
Published September 10th 2019 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Thousand Doors of January, please sign up.
Alix Harrow
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alix Harrow It's a standalone! There's room for further adventures, but it's all pretty tidily wrapped-up.

·  41,933 ratings  ·  8,076 reviews

Start your review of The Ten Thousand Doors of January
chai ♡
I almost didn’t write this review.

I felt that to speak of this book would be to contain what it did to me, to diminish it somehow. And I didn’t want to do that. The Ten Thousand Doors of January is almost less a novel than an experience: never have I felt more like I was part of things, moved by the same current, like my soul had disconnected from my body and drifted among fictional souls in a mist somewhere between fantasy and reality.

It seemed hardly credible when I finished reading that I co
megs_bookrack
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
((me: prepares for awkward silence due to unpopular opinion))

((confirmed: sound of crickets))

I'm sorry, everyone, but I have to be honest. I did not enjoy this book. At all.

I really wanted to, I was so hyped for it. I saw early reviews coming in and they were fantastic. I couldn't wait to get into it.

My initial impression was that even though the writing style was quirky, my interest was still high. Then it seemed to go nowhere.

I wasn't feeling anything. I honestly do not think I have ever been
Nilufer Ozmekik
5 thousand stars first for wonderful, amazing illustration on the cover and five thousand stars go for rest of the heart throbbing, one of the most creative, colorful, joyful journeys to many different imaginary portals you can never imagine to visit!

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT, OPEN YOUR EYES, READY TO COUNT TO 10 THOUSAND!

This is amazing combination of McGuire’s Wayward Children Series and Stephen King’s Dark Tower series!

BLURB: Seven years old January’s revelation of finding a door opens to Faeri
karen
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for BEST FANTASY *AND* BEST DEBUT NOVEL 2019! what will happen?

i mean, it’s a perfect book.

that should be the alpha and the omega of this book review, because you’ve probably already read the synopsis, and if it takes more than that to convince you of this book’s desirability, i’m sure i don’t have the words to do it.

if you like seanan mcguire’s wayward children series, you will probably enjoy this. obviously, they both involve doorways to other world
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the stars! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature (along with my co-reviewer Marion's excellent review):

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is perched at the top of the mountain of portal fantasies that I’ve read in my life. It’s set apart by Alix E. Harrow’s intelligent and truly gorgeous writing, unique characters ― including true friends and a fiercely loyal dog ― and a complex and twisty plot, combined with thoughtful consideration of racial and class prejudice, powerful men who
Petrik
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Gorgeous and magical; it’s not a stretch to call The Ten Thousand Doors of January a magnificent physical manifestation of a grimoire.

Orbit did it again. The Ten Thousand Doors of January has shot to the top of my TBR since the moment I saw the cover and heard about the premise; I was charmed and can safely say that I don’t think I’ve read many books as beautifully written as this novel. I’ve been saying this over
Cindy Pham
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the writing style and adventurous concept - it's fun to think about all the different worlds that you can escape to, especially ones that are more accepting of POC compared to our world. I appreciate the decision to make the protagonists POC and have a feeling of "not belonging" to add another layer of wanting to escape to other worlds. I couldn't find myself attached to the characters though, and the “book within a book” execution dragged the story a little too long, making my interest ...more
Paromjit
If there is a part of you that has always felt there is magic in the world ever since childhood, despite voices to the contrary, and have a penchant for the whimsical, then Alix Harrow has written the perfect novel for you. It is a story of doors, portals if you will, existing in places of particular resonance, stepping through the void, into fables, folklore, adventure, love and sanctuary, and the infinite power of words and stories. In 1901, at the age of 7, the red skinned, wilful and cantank ...more
 Teodora
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Seeing the cover? - Want it!
Seeing the synopsis? - Need it!
Realising it is about escaping the reality? - Well, run a DNA test cuz I and this book relate for sure
Mayim de Vries
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
“It is at the moments when the doors open, when the things flow between the worlds, that stories happen.”

Ten thousand doors no’s. Twenty thousand doorways no-way’s.

Sometimes I shamelessly fall for those hyped bestsellers, but most often I cannot stand them. Funnily enough, I loved what most people hate about this book: the flowery, flowing prose. I admired the writing style so much that I wanted to rate the book with full five stars, a priori, before I even finished the second chapter.

How sensi
jessica
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘words and their meanings have weight in the world of matter, shaping and reshaping realities through a most ancient alchemy.’

and the words in this story shape a most delightful world - filled with imagination, wonder, adventure, and love.

any story that focuses on the importance of words and stories is one that i will always find comforting. i appreciate how january is a character who also finds comfort in books and the power of words and also sees stories as a means of escape. it makes to
🌻darmera🌻
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written, but a tiiiiiinnny bit draggy for my taste. Bonus points for the way challenging themes were handled though - definitely a ya book with a message and a punch. However, not a good choice if you are in a reading slump, but if you were pondering over it - do pick it up, it is an eye opening book, and if you can dedicate the adequate attention and time to it's details - it is worth the read.
Amalia Gavea
''Maybe you've even seen one for yourself, standing half-ajar and rotted in an old church, or oiled and shining in a brick wall. Maybe, if you're one of those fanciful persons who find their feet running toward unexpected places, you've even walked through one and found yourself in a very unexpected place indeed.''

January is a young girl torn between two worlds. Her parentage makes her special, yet people see what they want to see, dictated by the (twisted) preconceived notions of the early
Emily May
In the summer of 1901, at the age of seven, January Scaller found a Door. You know the kind of door–they lead to Faerie, to Valhalla, to Atlantis, to all the places never found on a map.

These portal fantasy premises get me EVERY TIME. This sounds a bit like McGuire's Wayward Children series, which I love. Also exciting that this comes highly recommend by Josiah Bancroft 😍 Can't wait!

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔑
Norma
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-requests
Bewitching, creative, & magical!

THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by ALIX E. HARROW is an imaginative, enchanting, intriguing, and unique story that wasn’t the easiest book for me to read. I was a little bit bored in the beginning and almost called it quits quite a few times. I am so glad that I persevered because at approx. 58% in is when things started to get a lot more exciting and come together for me.

The writing is quite beautiful but extremely wordy and dense that definitely bogged down t
Emer (A Little Haze)
NOW PUBLISHED

The blurb from NetGalley:

EVERY STORY OPENS A DOOR
In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored and utterly out of place.
But her quiet existence is shattered when she stumbles across a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds and tells a tale of secret doors, of love, adv
Josiah Bancroft
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by Alix E. Harrow is a beautifully written and absorbing tale of lost love, stately prisons, ghastly villains, and terrible secrets. It’s a smart and roving adventure that has a full and thumping heart.

Harrow has created a mythology that is both tangible and tantalizing, and has injected that vision into turn of the 20th century America. The historic details greatly enrich and never distract from a narrative that spans generations, continents, and worlds. This i
Spencer Orey
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good! Beautiful and precious prose. Somehow I didn’t expect it to be so YA, but I ended up liking that too.

There’s a lot of clever treatment of imperialism and rich collectors. Really the whole book feels deeply grounded in critical history, which for me also made the magic of doors and their fantastic worlds feel fantastically grounded too. I loved that. There are some fierce antiracist and anti-imperialist politics woven in here, and they work wonderfully.

If you’ve been interested in t
Celeste
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Actual rating: way more than 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher (Orbit/Redhook) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
“Listen, not every story is made for telling. Sometimes just by telling a story you’re stealing it, stealing a little of the mystery away from it.”

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is quite possibly the most achingly beautiful novel I’ve ever read, a
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Upon reading the first few pages of The Ten Thousand Doors of January, it is pretty clear that Alix E. Harrow has a way to write most eloquently and organic, a whimsical tale reminiscent of childhoods' past imaginary wonders, curiosities, and secrets. The most beautiful, exquisite passages of words strung together so naturally, they elude to the calm and quiet brilliance within, ever so gently evoking the reader's attention wrapped around in every line, page by page.

The Ten Thousand Doors of Jan
C.G. Drews
reading this book was like experiencing something gorgeous and beautiful and aching. I fully admire the writing and wanted to save half a million quotes. It also gave me strong flashbacks to things like Narnia (my whole childhood was Narnia so this story was such an adult homecoming) and also Strange the Dreamer, utterly and fully. If you love Strange, do try this. I think the strength of this book was the prose first, characters second. And it always takes me a little while to settle into the h ...more
Nataliya
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You see, doors are many things: fissures and cracks, ways between, mysteries and borders. But more than anything else, doors are change. When things slip through them, no matter how small or brief, change trails them like porpoises following a ship’s wake.”
This is a story about the desire for unknown, the longing for change. It is a story of the dangers of complacency, blind obedience, unquestioning submission to those who proclaim they are the strong ones. This is a story of the need to ta
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3 stars. A spellbinding, imaginative, unique journey!

This novel is a creative, haunting and original story. The main character, January, is a young girl who finds a magical book that takes her on a journey through hidden doors into other worlds. In search of her family and of herself, January tries to piece together her past.

Based on the synopsis, I knew this was a bit of a risky read, but I wanted to take the plunge and try something outside of my usual genre. The first half of the book was int
Melissa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY SH*T. This book was like a drug to me. Portals and the multiverse and word magic and fascinating women and crisp, textured prose I wanted to fold and unfold like a letter. It's truly one of those books that's bigger on the inside, a house with countless rooms.
Hamad
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“How fitting, that the most terrifying time in my life should require me to do what I do best: escape into a book.”

🌟 Disclaimer: ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I am not a big fan of history in general and it was always my least favorite subject in school. I found that the same applies to the bookish world and that I am not a big fan of historical fiction. I saw someone describing this as historical fantasy
Phrynne
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2020
I had avoided reading this book for months because of the hype and the fear of being disappointed, but then the library had it in stock and it has such a pretty cover and I could not help myself so I brought it home.

And I loved it! I always enjoy a good portal story and this one had so many portals going to so many different places that I gave up trying to work out where they went and why. I just let myself be swept away by the story and the extremely well written prose.

I thought the characters
Em Lost In Books
4.5*

Absolutely stunning and gorgeous! 💕
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books, i-own
The Starless Sea met Inkheart, fell in love, and had a ripe baby. This ripe book is that baby.

This book had some great incredible concepts that I actually wish the Starless Sea had incorporated into its own story. A story of loss, identity, and what it means to be a family. There were some things that irked me though— mc being indecisive and contradicting to her decisions, internalized colorism, certain character actions/choices that were a certain degree, so stupid. But—

— books about books
Bradley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like the cover to this book, the innards are lush, romantic, and adventuresome. Beautiful prose, much better story, and ten thousand open doors to other realms awaiting us.

Eventually. The first part reads mostly like a Secret Garden type story, complete with the right time period. This may be a bonus to a lot of you, but to me, it was quite simply okay.

When we get word of her father's demise, however, everything picks up pace. I particularly loved how vast swaths of plot were wrapped up in neat
TS Chan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher, Orbit, in exchange for an honest review.

Incredibly lush, exquisite and enchanting, The Ten Thousand Doors of January has all the makings of a classic. One which I'm certain will be well-loved and much-read. And I dare say not only by those who enjoy fantasy, for this novel is pure joy in literary form that is a tribute to almost every reader out there.

Do you love books? This book is for you.

Do you love the written word? This book is for you.

Do you love stories and

• The Starless Sea
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • Ormeshadow
  • Ghoster
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Glass Hotel
I've been a student and a teacher, a farm-worker and a cashier, an ice-cream-scooper and a 9-to-5 office-dweller. I've lived in tents and cars, cramped city apartments and lonely cabins, and spent a summer in a really sweet '79 VW Vanagon. I have library cards in at least five states.

Now I'm a full-time writer living in with my husband and two semi-feral kids in Berea, Kentucky. It is, I'm very su

Articles featuring this book

“The will to be polite, to maintain civility and normalcy, is fearfully strong. I wonder sometimes how much evil is permitted to run unchecked simply because it would be rude to interrupt it.” 93 likes
“I hope you will find the cracks in the world and wedge them wider, so the light of other suns shines through; I hope you will keep the world unruly, messy, full of strange magics; I hope you will run through every open Door and tell stories when you return.” 91 likes