Start by marking “I Miss My Grandpa” as Want to Read:
I Miss My Grandpa

I Miss My Grandpa

A 2019 New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book
For fans of Ed Young and Peter Sis, this breathtaking picture book, from LBYR's first Emerging Artist Award Winner, Jin Xiaojing, is the perfect read for anyone who has lost a loved one.

A young girl has never met her grandpa. He passed away before she was born, but she misses him every day. She often wonders...what
Published September 3rd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Miss My Grandpa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Miss My Grandpa

Start your review of I Miss My Grandpa
Julie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I loved the idea of 'meeting' a relative you have never known through the narrative of your family. My favorite line is: "You can meet him in your heart."
Abigail
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New Children's Stories About Family, Grandparents & Loss
A young girl misses the grandfather she has never met in this gentle picture-book from expatriate Chinese author/artist Jin Xiaojing, currently living in New York City. She asks her grandma about him, and is told about the many family members who resemble him in some way. The family members in turn tell her some more about this missing loved one. In the end, the girl concludes that she misses her grandpa, even though she has never met him...

Apparently Xiaojing has published a number of books in
Ashley Adams
This young girl never met her grandpa. But through the stories of her family she comes to realize that she carries her grandfather in her smile, her hair, and her ability to pass on his memory.
Julie
A poignant picture book about a girl who misses the grandpa she never knew. Her grandmother describes his features, as found in the girl's aunt, mom, cousin, and uncles, but these relatives describe their vivid memories of him and how he impacted their lives, the qualities he had and the special moments they shared together. Tender and quietly affecting. A New York Times/New York Public Library Best Illustrated Children's Book for 2019.
Cat Gemkow
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful story of a Grandmother telling her grandchild what her Grandfather looked like and who in their family carries on his traits. Coming from a large family myself, I enjoyed the way the story conveyed the lasting bonds of family history that continues to live on in younger generations. My own grandfather died before 5 of us kids were born, and my mom and dad still tell stories of how wacky, funny, temperamental, and loving he was. I also appreciate the sentiment that you can miss ...more
Gps
a very sweet book about a girl who misses the grandfather whom she never met, but whom she "meets' thru the description that her grandmother provides of her grandfather.

then she realizes that she also carries some of the characteristics of her grandfather.

i liked that it was not just physical characteristics of the grandfather, but some of his hobbies, and skills.

not a sad book, but one that rejoices in what the grandfather "left behind" and what his remaining relatives miss about him.
Diane
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
“You can meet him in your heart. He is still living within us, who love him.”

A little girl, who has never met the grandfather who died before she was born, asks her grandmother and other family members to describe him. Her grandmother sees her husband in all the family members around her, including her granddaughter.

The beauty of keeping a loved one’s memory alive through family connections makes for a meaningful story.
Cara Byrne
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful celebration of a life one learns of through the memories of others. This translation uses poetic language to help family members explain what a child's grandfather (whom she has never met) was like. Some of the illustrations and descriptions are more powerful than others, but it's a unique and thought-provoking book.
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this is less about death and grieving than about family ties.

Shows how individual physical and character traits are carried on from father to child or grandchild. And how no one's truly dead if their memory lives on.
Mary Lee
#ownvoices Love that the text is translated into Mandarin on the back endpapers!
Marcie
I liked it and can see teachers using it for family stories, but I also see it as difficult for children with small or non-traditional families.
Adam
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Amazing artwork takes the story deeper than the words.
Kelly
A lovely story of a girl who is trying to paint a picture of her grandfather, whom she's never met. Her grandmother assists her.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Gorgeous.
Kevin Summers
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In the book's dedication, what does "integrating with the universe" mean?
Ashley
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would love to see this book in Mandarin bilingual classrooms in Canada. A very sweet story tinged with sadness and with Mandarin translation at the very end.
Andréa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A Mandarin translation of the text is included at the end of the book.
Sara Cook
A beautiful book about missing someone you've never met.
Mary
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I like the concept of missing someone you've never met and learning about them from those who loved them. The illustrations are really lovely.
Shawn Ingle
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the personal experience that inspired this book but I enjoyed the story behind the story more than the story itself.
Annie
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The importance of family memory through the generations and passed down. Although the protagonist never met her grandfather, he remains an important part of the life of family, including herself.
Stefanie Molinaro