Start by marking “The Love Letter” as Want to Read:
The Love Letter

The Love Letter

Fall in love with this endearing and adorable picture book that illustrates how a little bit of heart goes a long way to making the world a better place.

Hedgehog, Bunny, and Squirrel are best friends. One day, they each find a letter. But not just any letter...

A love letter.

My word!

My whiskers!

Aww, nuts!

Someone loves them. But who? The
Published October 8th 2019 by HarperCollins (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Letter

Start your review of The Love Letter
Shaye Miller
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one is such an adorable story of how your entire attitude can be changed when you think someone loves you. In the end of this one, three friends come together and realize how lucky they are to have one another. Not just a great book for around Valentine's Day, but a good read for the entire year! The artwork was created with Navah Wolfe's old-timey typewriter, gouache, brush marker, colored pencil, and ink wash. Then the illustrations were finished digitally.

For more children's literature,
Anthony
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
When best friends Hedgehog, Bunny and Squirrel find the same letter that was dropped at different locations, they all assume it was written to each of them. When they meet the next day to share their feelings, the confusion leads to bickering between the three friends. It's not until they discover who wrote the letter, and who it was actually intended for that the mix-up turns into a blessing for them all.
Emma
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word. This was too cute. When Hedgehog finds a love letter it makes him feel cheerful. When Bunny finds the same letter she feels helpful. And when the same letter makes its way to squirrel, he feels carefree. When these three friends try to find out who really sent the letter, they learn that a little confusion can lead to a wonderful mix-up. I absolutely loved this one. The artwork is gorgeous, wintry, and super fun and works in perfect counterpoint with the story. Just perfect.
Lynn Plourde
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
The world needs more love, and this adorable picture book about mix-ups and love between friends Hedgehog, Bunny, and Squirrel is pitch perfect!
L.A. James
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute little story with a good message!
Olivia
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

Lovely, endearing, and heartfelt, THE LOVE LETTER demonstrates the power of telling someone how much you care. Hedgehog, Bunny, and Squirrel are best friends. In turn, each of them finds a love letter stating how much they appreciate their friend. The letter makes Hedgehog feel cheerful, Bunny helpful, and Squirrel carefree, but importantly, it makes all of them feel loved.

At the end, they learn that the letter was actually
Sandy
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet book! I loved how just this one love letter changed the lives of so many animals.

When Hedgehog finds a letter on the ground, he picks it up. After reading it, he discovers its not just any letter, its a love letter and he believes that its been left for him. Immediately, his mood changes and hes having a great day. After being a loving and helpful friend, the letter is accidentally dropped and picked up by one of his friends.

When Bunny finds the love letter, she believes that
Margie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bright and early yesterday morning after a rain shower, a discovery was made. A soggy letter was found in the middle of the road. It was returned to its rightful owner after a blurred address was deciphered. What might have happened if it had not rained and it blew farther away? Did the owner of the letter find it stashed on their porch? Are the contents important?

Whether you find a soaked message in the middle of the road or a written note placed in an envelope and left inside your dry mailbox
Rachel
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book! Let me start by quoting the first lines, Hedgehog was late. He did not like being late. It further frazzled his already prickly mood. Hed been grumbling about it to the ground when Doesnt that just make you want to turn the page and keep reading? Me, too!

This book is just brimming with adorable sweetness. The love letter and the ripple effect it causes make my heart smile. The three main characters are each wonderfully unique, relatable, and likable in their own way.
Patti
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
It all started when grumpy Hedgehog found something on the ground, something unusual. It was a letter, but not just any letter, a love letter. After reading the letter, Hedgehog goes from grumpy to unusually cheerful as he plays with his friends Bunny and Squirrel. Soon the letter is lost and found by another and then lost and found again. Each creature thinks that the other wrote it. But when they find out that the letter was written by someone else, it helps them to realize how they really ...more
Meredith
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Three friends find the same dropped love letter in different places and believe it is intended for them.

This story uses a comic mixup to talk about how people feel when they feel loved. Because Hedgehog feels loved, he feels cheerful. Because Bunny feels loved, she feels helpful. Because Squirrel feels loved, he feels carefree.

When they realize their mistake, the three friends immediately fall to bickering. Luckily, a wise mouse steps in to set things to right.

I liked the detail that Squirrels
Alex Onslow
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grade: k-6

Adorable freaking book. A hedgehog is walking and finds a love letter that makes him feel happy and cheerful and eventually drops it or misplaces it and the bunny he was talking to minutes ago, suddenly finds it and thinks hedgehog loves her. Then eventually a squirrel finds it and thinks bunny loves him. After trying to figure out who wrote the letter, and getting extremely mixed up and confused in this love triangle, the hedgehog explains what happened and everyone is feeling silly..
Sara Fajardo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As soon as we reached the last page of this book my daughter insisted we read it again. After completing the second reading she grabbed the book and declared "I love this book," and proceeded to walk around the house while hugging it closely to her chest. That night she slept with it. We've now read it dozens of times and we've only had the book for a week and a half. It never gets old. There are so much heart in so few pages, masterful storytelling. Definitely a fast favorite in our home.
Amy
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cute story about love, friendship and feelings. Hedgehog, Bunny and Squirrel find a love letter, and each one thinks it's meant for them. But where did it come from, and who is it for? It'd make a nice read-aloud. If you need a Valentine's Day book with being Valentines-y, this is your book!

p.s. Great for your friends who love to put things in order and get anxious when they're not, just like Squirrel!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me of a childhood favorite, "Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch." A hedgehog finds a love letter that he thinks is for him, and he acts cheerfully the rest of the day. Then he drops the letter and bunny finds it, then squirrel, etc. It was sweet seeing how feeling special made a difference in the lives of all the animals. Precious!
Ann Haefele
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This came recommended to me by a librarian at my public library. Glad I did not miss out on this story about kindness, which is just what is needed in our world. The results of kindness makes big changes in 3 friends lives. The illustrations of these friends (a hedgehog, bunny and squirrel) enjoying each other in the cold winter weather will have you smiling. ...more
Connie T.
Hedgehog, Bunny and Squirrel each take a turn finding a love letter that ultimately isn't meant for any of them. The letter makes them each feel loved and improves their day. When they discover the true owner of the letter they feel disappointed and sad but Mouse reminds them that they have loved each other all along.
Elizabeth
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Friendship, looking on the bright side of things. I'll read it on Valentine's Day with my class. Great drawings by Lucy Ruth Cummings. We read her A Hungry Lion book last week so it will fun to show the art similarities.
Kim
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three animal friends mistakenly believe that a love letter is for them. It makes them feel happy and loved. When they find out it wasn't for them, they are dejected, but realized they really are loved! Great for valentine's day.
Rebecca Anne
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVE! Hedgehog finds a letter, and becomes cheerful instead of gloomy. Bunny finds a letter, and becomes helpful instead of selfish. Squirrel finds a letter, and becomes carefree instead of anxious. Who's letter is it really, and what does it mean for these friends?
Maddie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Three friends find a love letter in the forest and learn how positive words can improve someone's day.

I loved the art in this as well as the setting in the forest, and the letter itself was so sweet. A very sweet picture book on the power of lovely words.
Abby Johnson
This is a sweet story of animal friends who find an unaddressed love letter and each thinks it's for them. It turns their whole outlook around to know that they are loved by someone. It can easily be used for Valentine's content without being holiday-specific.
C_
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its not the kind of love letter I was expecting. It was better. Beautifully illustrated this book reminds us how easy it is to share love and how wonderful it can be to feel loved. Ill definitely be looking for other works by this author and this illustrator. ...more
Bethany
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book to demonstrate how one kind note can mean so much to different people.
Teresa Edmunds
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The book is so cute. It was funny how the animals kept finding the letter and thinking it was for them. I am glad they became friends. I really like this book. (Laura, 2nd grade)
Tina Hoggatt
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Call me a sap but any book that points out how love can make a person feel and behave better toward themselves and others gets all the stars.
Brook
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations to go with a sweet love letter mix-up. I gasped when I came to the twist, it stole my heart.
Melissa
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a cute book about love and how it can make one feel when they experience it.
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Cute and sweet
Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely lovely book about how love makes you feel and what a change it can make. Beautiful illustrations and a sweet story make this an absolute winner.

• Birdsong