Start by marking “November Road” as Want to Read:
November Road

November Road

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  6,354 ratings  ·  1,092 reviews
Set against the assassination of JFK, a poignant and evocative crime novel that centers on a desperate cat-and-mouse chase across 1960s America—a story of unexpected connections, daring possibilities, and the hope of second chances from the Edgar Award-winning author of The Long and Faraway Gone.

Frank Guidry’s luck has finally run out.

A loyal street lieuten
Published October 22nd 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about November Road, please sign up.
Irene A. I started it this morning and I'm 3/4 done with it. I have a feeling I'll be reading until the last page well into the night!
Joseph The first sentence likely meant "he" was 40 pounds heavier and thus probably bigger and stronger. But in the next sentence Barrone had a good forty…moreThe first sentence likely meant "he" was 40 pounds heavier and thus probably bigger and stronger. But in the next sentence Barrone had a good forty pounds on him may mean Barone was forty pounds lighter and therefore more agile. I'd have to read the passage to be sure.(less)

·  6,354 ratings  ·  1,092 reviews

Start your review of November Road
Will Byrnes
“With every decision we create a new future,” Leo said. “We destroy all other futures.”
----------------------------------------
If it’s a fair fight, Barone learned early on, you’ve screwed up somewhere.
November Road is a page-flipping, compulsive read that will pull you in and hold on until it lets your lapels go and you fall to the floor in a heap, checking for damage.

Frank Guidry’s got it made. A lean thirty-seven-year-old New Orleans native, he is a sharp dresser, with olive skin, green eyes, a dimpled chin, a comfortable income, an appreciation for smooth jazz----------------------------------------
Julie
November Road by Lou Berney is a 2018 William Morrow publication.

A stylish piece of historical crime fiction-

1963-

Carlos Marcello the head of a large New Orleans crime syndicate is behind the assassination of the president of the United States. Frank Guidry, is one of Marcello’s best guys, but Frank, unknowingly became a part of the assassination plan, which means he has become a loose end, meaning his days are numbered.

Making a run for it, Frank encounters, Charlotte,
Susanne  Strong
5 Astounding Stars.

Oh My.. What a Tale! Masterful and Mesmerizing!

Frank Guidry is a lieutenant to Carlos Marcello, the NOLA mob boss. When he dropped of a ‘59 Cadillac Eldorado in a parking garage in Dallas he originally thought nothing of it. Then a few days later, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated mere blocks away and he realized the significance. Guidry is a guy who always took care of the bosses’ business, now he’s the guy who has to be taken care of.

Barone is a hit man, his as
James Thane
I’ve long been a huge fan of Lou Berney’s novels, especially The Long and Faraway Gone, which won an Edgar in 2016, along with several other prestigious awards, and which remains one of my favorite books of the last few years. Consequently, I’ve been very anxious to finally get my hands on his new book, November Road, which was released last week, and which has gotten rave notices in advance of the publication date. Simply put, the wait was more than worth it. November Road is a great novel and, like its pred ...more
Maureen
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*4.5 Stars *

Set against the backdrop of President John.F. Kennedy’s assassination, November Road brings together the lives of Frank Guidry, fixer extraordinaire for the Marcello mob in New Orleans, and housewife Charlotte and her daughters Joan and Rosemary and the family dog. Both Guidry and Charlotte are running away from their lives - Guidry has information on Kennedy’s assassination, (he knows way too much) so there’s now a price on his head from the very mob that he worked for.
Liz
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio

I always have a little internal debate going on about whether a particular book works better or worse as an audiobook. Well, I know I would have liked November Road whether I read it or listened to it, but I have to say the narrator here, Jonathan McClain, did such a fabulous job that he took the book to a higher level. He embodies each character and does a wonderful job of giving them their own voice.

It’s a great premise. Frank Guidry, a street lieutenant in the NOLA mob is tasked with deliver
Paromjit
A stellar piece of noir speculative historical fiction from Lou Berney, set amidst a background of a nation seeking to redefine itself with its social and political turbulence with the clamour for civil rights, feminism, and a fear of nuclear weapons. It is 1963, in Dallas JFK has been assassinated, and 37 year old Frank Guidry has a comfortable existence in New Orleans. Frank is a loyal lieutenant to Mob Boss Carlos Marcello, and the implications of an errand he ran begins to become clear to hi ...more
Debra
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
"Frank Guidry’s luck has finally run out."

Frank Guidry is a loyal lieutenant in the New Orleans mob who dropped off a car very near to where President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated. Was it a coincidence or was the car part of the assassination plan? Now Frank has been asked to get rid of the car. Is this a set up or a means to an end? Either way, Frank knows too much about the crime and is expendable. As those with any knowledge of the assassination begin to disappear, it
Paula Kalin
I was introduced to Lou Barney in 2018 with his The Long & Faraway Gone. A wonderful book and a fine author.

November Road is about Frank Guidry, a member of the New Orleans mob, that due to the assassination of JFK, all of a sudden finds himself on the run as he has become a loose end to the mob chief. On the road Frank meets a woman, Charlotte, traveling with her two children who are looking to find a new life. Together they travel along the road in 1960’s America and become fri
Katie B
I love historical fiction but I wasn't entirely sure if a thriller style plot about JFK's assassination was going to be my thing. I'm pretty picky when it comes to choosing thrillers but thankfully there were enough regular fiction elements to the story so it didn't feel like it was guns and violence the entire time. Adding in a story line about a mother with two young daughters really gave the book a nice balance.

Frank Guidry is a street lieutenant to New Orleans’ mob boss Carlos Marcello. Whe
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
The cumulation of this story takes place in Texas- November 1963 - when a distraught housewife from her deadbeat drunk husband- her two daughters & their epileptic dog take to the road and connect with a mobster on the run. ( he knows too much about the JFK assassination)

Even though this is a conspiracy JFK story - with fascinating plausible speculations -I felt that the conspiracy was more a backstory to a love story, ( not mushy)..... and a general nostalgia of stepping back in
Cheri
”Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

“Now on the sidewalk, huh, huh, whoo sunny morning, un huh
Lies a body just oozin' life, eek
And someone's sneakin' 'round the corn
Kemper
If someone offered me the choice between taking a long road trip with a couple of kids or being murdered by the mob, I’d have to really think it over.

It’s November 1963, and Frank Guidry is living well in New Orleans thanks to his top position with Carlos Marcello’s mob outfit. However, one of Frank’s recent chores was leaving a car in a parking garage in Dallas very near the spot where President Kennedy would be assassinated just days later. It doesn’t take a genius to make the conn
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

First, WTF is up with that blurb? Talk about a poster child for tl;dr! All you really need to know about this is it’s pretty amazing. But if you want more? Here you go . . .

November Road jumps off during a monumental moment in American history . . . . .

When small fries criminal Frank Guidry learns of the assassination of the President, he fears he may have unknowingly been a participant by possibly dropping off the getaway car of the sniper who actually committed the
Zoeytron
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Frank Guidry has been a trusted wiseguy who has worked for the mob for years.  After a seemingly standard job, it becomes apparent to him that he has become expendable.  The proverbial loose end flapping in the breeze.  Life is cheap if you know too much, and loved ones are in danger of becoming an end to the means.  Decisions are made, each one closing off another possibility.  Good suspense/thriller.
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

What if someone happened to come round that corner right now and caught them skulking? Trouble in this business had a way of spreading, just like a cold or the clap. Guidry knew you could catch it from the wrong handshake, an unlucky glance.

The only poor decision was a decision you allowed someone else to make for you.

Charlotte longed to live in a place where it wasn’t so hard to tell the past from the future.

Her favorite movie, as a child, ha
David Putnam
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I would not pass this one up. It is going to be an Edgar Award contender. This one's going in my top ten for the year.
I tried to read Berney's last two books even gave one of them three shots at it because it won every award out there and for some reason I just couldn't drop into it.
This book is set in 1963 and starts out in New Orleans and moves across the country. When the book opens the main character does something despicable, a big risk for an author but Berney pulls it o
Brandon
Career criminal Frank Guidry is sent to Dallas to retrieve a getaway car that was to play a part in the assassination of President Kennedy. The car wasn’t used, so Frank is tasked with retrieving it from the scene of the crime and dumping it into the ocean so that a link cannot be established back to Frank’s boss, Carlos. Fearing he may be killed following the disposal of the vehicle, Frank heads west for Las Vegas, looking to Carlos’ rival for help leaving the country.

Charlotte Roy
Marialyce
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I was a young girl when John Kennedy was assassinated. It was and is one of those times that you will never, forget, always remember where and when you heard of this tragedy, and began to wonder if anything in this country would ever be the same again.

Kennedy’s assassination has often been hinted at as being done by the Mafia. It was well known that he and his brother, Bobby, the attorney general at the time, were despised by the Mafia. Perhaps it is not such a stretch of one’s imagi
Jeanette
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, can this guy tell a story. He has the tension pulled perfectly throughout the length too. Presently (2018) that is as rare as a smokeless room at the old Dunes or Stardust circa the 1960's.

Is it a perfect 5? Really, I don't think it is. But it's a 4.5 star I'll round up for pure adventure quotient, posits of opposites, and also supreme era exactness. And the entertainment factor is not shabby either. This was a book I couldn't leave. And it embedded the reader into intrigue nearly immediat
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction~on hiatus))
What drew me to November Road is that it's set in the days on and following the assassination of JFK, and I'm drawn to books with anything related to the Kennedys. While this book didn't focus on what happened that fateful day in Dallas on November 22, 1963, the murder of JFK is the trigger for events that lead two people from completely different walks of life to leave their existing lives and go on the run for the chance at a brand new life.

Frank Guidry is a handsome ladies man who is high up in theto November
Faith
After Kennedy is assassinated in 1963, anyone who could connect New Orleans mob boss Carlos Marcello with the assassination must be eliminated. Frank Guidry is a fixer for Marcello and he is one of those people who must die, so he goes on the run, headed to Las Vegas. Along the way he picks up Charlotte Roy, a runaway wife from Oklahoma, her two young daughters and their epileptic dog. He hopes that they can pose as a family in order to hide his identity. Paul Barone is the killer dispatched by ...more
Bianca
Without knowing it, November Road was exactly what I needed to read.

The blurb says too much about the plot, so I won't go into it.

This was one sleek novel, with interesting characters and perfect pace that kept me turning the pages. The ending was unexpected, but I respect the author's choice.

I would have never paid attention to this novel had it not been for some GR friends' raving reviews.

Recommended
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by AJ Finn

Plot, setting, and character. It’s a simple three-ingredient recipe—you might call it Satisfying Novel Surprise—yet many (even most!) authors tend to skimp on one or another … or all three. Few works of fiction, in my experience, spin a gripping story and drench it in atmosphere and people it with a relatable, three-dimensional cast. Fewer still do so in perfect proportion.

But Lou Berney’s November Road is no ordinary work of fiction. November, 19
Berit☀️✨
Lou Berney has a way with words, this stunning story was both mesmerizing and memorable. A story about second chances, heart crime thriller, part romance, set against the backdrop of 1960s America. The Kennedy assassination, civil rights, Vietnam, the time was as much a character as the characters were. Frank Guidry has it made snappy dresser smooth talker a lieutenant in the mob, one of Carlos Marcello‘s best men. Then things change after he has delivered a Cadillac Eldorado to Dallas days befo ...more
LJ
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Sentence: Behold!

Frank Guidry of New Orleans is a fixer, a loyal lieutenant to mob boss Carlos Marcello. But loyalty isn't always a two-way street. When Guidry realizes just how dispensable he is, he takes off for Las Vegas running to someone who just might be able to save him. Charlotte is a woman with a dream but is stuck in Oklahoma. Taking her daughters and their dog, Charlotte runs away from Oklahoma to Los Angeles hoping to realize her dream. She didn't plan on meeting Frank along t
Richard Derus
Real Rating: 3.5* of five

An interesting ride with an ending I was sort of hoping wouldn't be the ending. In fact, the reason this book didn't get a higher star than it did is that I was expecting everything that happened to happen. I got one actual pulse-pounding moment of suspense early in the book. I was absolutely sure the twist at the end of 1963 was going to happen, and the 2003 section (Epilogue) was *precisely* the ending I was expecting.

I was, in short, unsurprise
Richard
Two souls adrift: a woman running away from a toxic marriage trying to start a new life with her kids, and a mid-level mob guy on the lam because of his connections to the JFK assassination. They meet and find a glimmer of happiness and the promise of a new start in each other. This one was at times tender and ruminative, while other times thrilling not only in it's surface action and suspense, but also in it's look at the excitement that comes with personal connection and discovery. I love read ...more
Dan Radovich
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Berney novel, and if his earlier works stand up to this one, DAMN I have been missing some quality writing. The dawn of a new era is beginning as Berney's tale starts. JFK has just been assassinated and Frank Guidry is sent from New Orleans to Dallas to pick up a car that was to be used in the getaway. He knows he will not make it back to The Big Easy alive. While he heads West to escape to Las Vegas, he meets Charlotte and her two kids who are stranded at a small hotel in New M ...more
Amy
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
I generally don’t read a ton of historical fiction novels that have a mystery at the forefront, but like so many others I’ve always been fascinated by the Kennedy family so this one captured my attention immediately. I’m also enamored with the sixties and having the assassination of JFK as the catalyst for events in the characters lives was so interesting for me.

This switches back and forth from Frank and Charlotte’s point of view as they both escape demons in their lives and is such
Goodreads România: Nominalizări pentru cartea lunii noiembrie 2019 15 82 Oct 22, 2019 06:40PM
Play Book Tag: November Road / Lou Berney - 4**** 2 11 Apr 25, 2019 01:05AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions - November Road by Lou Berney 2 20 Nov 18, 2018 12:26PM
Chapters 13-18 1 5 Oct 28, 2018 04:08PM
Book of The Month: November Road 4 49 Sep 23, 2018 08:44AM

• The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)
  • The Line That Held Us
  • The Whisper Man
  • Wrecked (IQ #3)
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Girl From Blind River
Lou Berney is the Edgar Award-winning author of November Road (2018), The Long and Faraway Gone (2015), Whiplash River (2012), and Gutshot Straight (2010), all from William Morrow. His short fiction has appeared in publications such as The New Yorker, Ploughshares, the New England Review, and the Pushcart Prize anthology.
“With every decision we create a new future. We destroy all other futures.” 0 likes
“If it’s a fair fight, Barone learned early on, you’ve screwed up somewhere.” 0 likes