Start by marking “Not So Pure and Simple” as Want to Read:
Not So Pure and Simple

Not So Pure and Simple

An Indie Next List Pick!

In his first contemporary teen novel, critically acclaimed author and two-time Edgar Award finalist Lamar Giles spotlights the consequences of societal pressure, confronts toxic masculinity, and explores the complexity of what it means to be a “real man.”

Del has had a crush on Kiera Westing since kindergarten. And now, during their junior year, she’
Published January 21st 2020 by Quill Tree Books

Start your review of Not So Pure and Simple
Kai
Jun 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
art historians have confirmed that this is indeed a true Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece
Dahlia
This was so good - sharp and funny and thoughtful and messy. I think it would be such an interesting buddy read with HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME to see how the conversation changes across gender and racial lines, both implicitly and explicitly. Lamar Giles really is one of the few autobuy authors I will follow to the ends of the bookish earth and it was true before this book but it's officially cemented now.
Kat (Why Read)
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I woke up bright and early at 4am for work only to remember halfway out the door that I'm off! So I spent the morning binging a new book. HarperTeen @harpercollinsus entrusted me with an advanced reader copy of #notsopureandsimple by @lamargiles for an honest review.

This was a necessary read about a misguided boy named Del in love with a girl named Kiera. It's reminiscent of a 90s sitcom comedy where the male protagonist is so focused on "winning the girl" that he fails to acknowledge that
Max Baker
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

There's a lot about Not So Pure and Simple that should be celebrated. For one, this is the rare YA book with a male protagonist that discussing sex education from a male perspective. Books like Have a Little Faith in Me, The Nowhere Girls, and Moxie are all wonderful books that deal with female sex education, but this is the first one that made me realize...we don't really teach boys about sex either. Sure
Eliza Rapsodia
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-2020
I got an E-ARC copy from Edelweiss and I just

Re •
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, own
First and foremost thank you so much to HCCFRENZY for this ARC Happy early BIRTHDAY!! Of course all opinions are my own!

I’ll admit this book did take some time to get into and I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the characters. But you know what? I was pretty alright with Del Rainey, he actually made me respect him a little more by the end of the book. Thought I gotta hand a good chunk of my kudos to Cressie, Shianne, Jameer and even Qwan. They made this book worthwhile!

Because you’re a man.
Colline Vinay Kook-Chun
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a novel that adolescent boys need to read! It describes the fumblings of a teen boy as he attempts to attract the attention of a girl he likes. With all the advice given to him by various people, he learns to make his own decisions – and to live with the consequences. This novel is a diverse read that focuses on a topic that is an essential one for adolescents: the interactions one has with the opposite sex, and how to treat the people you are attracted to.

Not So Pure and Simple focuses
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I genuinely loved everything about this book! When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it which I always think is a sign of a great read. There were aspects of it that reminded me of the movie Easy A so if you enjoyed that, this is definitely a book for you ;)

The characters are one of this novel's biggest strengths. If I'm being honest, protagonist Del comes across as a bit of a jerk at first but as the author says in his opening note, you will genuinely come to like him. The more you
Danielle
This is a very timely, accessible book that I hope lots of boys read. It captures the insecurity and bravado and general confusion that all teens experience about dating and sex - from misinformation shared by school programs and church organizations to bad advice from parents, peers and Google. The setting delivers timely conflict and Lamar Giles balances the expression of religious influence and social media evenly. I found Del pretty unlikable but very real. His character development was ...more
Brianna Carrasco
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, black, girl-power, lgbt
Originally, I wasn't too interested in this book. I didn't see how it could bring anything new to the table, but I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly, I liked it much better than I thought I would. But there were still a few things that didn't quite hit four stars for me.

To start, the story sort of dragged in some points, to the point where I sort of rushed over a few paragraphs to make it go by faster. I guess as an adult woman out of high school, some of the themes and topics in the book
Katie O
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was a sophomore in high school, my parents bought my sister and me our first purity rings. Essentially the concept of sexual purity and, ultimately, virginity became a massive part of both my sister's and my core identities--and, as our sexual choices clashed with sacred commitments, you can imagine how much therapy we needed later.

That may be TMI for you, but I just want to give you some perspective on how deeply this book SPOKE to me. It's beyond relevant, not only to me personally,
Kelly Hager
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amber
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is an incredible look at the double standards girls face in regards to having sex, as well as an insightful look into the different types of toxic masculinity that exist in our world.

Del has had a crush on schoolmate Kiera ever since Kindergarten but has never had the nerve to ask her out. When she and her boyfriend finally break up, he determines that this is the perfect time to finally ask her out. His plan to date her is by (unknowingly at first) agreeing to the same purity pledge
Alicia
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a big fan of the book and about 2/3 of the way through it I did just want it to pick up the pace a little bit but all told, the story and characters were intricately drawn and a fantastic representation of societal pressure and growing up.

Del certainly wants a specific girl that he's been pining away on, but she's always been with other guys and now he's trying to make his move. He also ends up finding his entry point in a church group pledging chastity of which he "accidentally"
MCZ Reads
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: botm-selections
I had such high expectations for Not So Pure and Simple—I hoped for an exploration toxic masculinity as well as a critique of church youth culture—and this book delivered. I thought it treated each topic with the depth it deserved, and in a way that would be accessible for teens.

This book works because all the characters are crafted so well. They manage to be funny and infuriating; they make dumb mistakes and get angry, but there are moments of sincere wisdom. I also loved all the references to
Karin
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, realistic, teen, diverse
I could not put this book down. It's that perfect combination of serious contemporary issue tackled in a way that's totally natural and approachable and realistic (and funny) with characters that represent all kinds of perspectives and are each well-drawn and rounded. It's mainly about a teen boy who accidentally signs on for a purity pledge at church (hoping to impress a girl) and winds up making friends and gradually coming to understand (in a non-preachy way!!) toxic masculinity and misogyny. ...more
Kaenna E
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book about feminism, but from a boy's point of view. Not only is that rare and cool, but this book is so well written that it seems normal and classic. It is more of a book for teens, but would be good for almost any age. You would love this book if you liked Watch Us Rise or any book about feminism. Not So Pure and Simple
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, thought-provoking, and also a hard-hitting look at toxic masculinity and how deeply embedded it is in mainstream teen life and, especially, purity culture. The well-rounded characters show realistic change and growth over the course of the novel.
Laura Gennarelli
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fanna
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
january 3, 2020

-african-american characters
-'not so openly gay' character
-deals with toxic masculinity
-coming of age novel
-religious impact in the community
Alison Glass
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
a really excellent examination of toxic masculinity and religion.
Faith 09
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting to love this book quite this much and yet here I am.
Lauren
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 overall. It was a bit dragged out but this novel covered a lot of important topics teens need to read about. I love Lamar Giles and this is probably my favorite book of his so far!
Trish
Rae
Dec 30, 2019
N.Fatma
Jan 21, 2020
Lamar "L. R." Giles writes books for teens and adults. FAKE ID, his debut Young Adult Thriller, will be published by HarperCollins in 2014. He is represented by Jamie Weiss Chilton of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency and resides in Chesapeake, VA with his wife.

• Almost American Girl
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Reverie
  • The Best at It
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • How to Build a Heart
  • Don't Be Evil: How Big Tech Betrayed Its Founding Principles -- and All of Us
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Guts
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Saturday
  • Cog
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)