Start by marking “X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23 (2018-))” as Want to Read:
X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23 (2018-))

X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23

(X-23 (2018) #1)

Collects X-23 (2018) #1-6.

Cloned from a warrior and raised as a killer, Laura Kinney has gone through hell and come out the other side a hero. Now, after a stint following in the footsteps of her "father" as the All-New Wolverine, Laura returns to her roots to make sure no one else ever has to go through the horrors she did! With her sister, Gabby, and their pet wolverine,
Published January 9th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-23 Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23 Vol. 1

Artemy
X-23 by Mariko Tamaki is simply a really fun comic starring Laura and Honey Badger. This is a great pick for the fans of Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine, X-23 and Honey Badger as characters or just for people who love fun comics, and it also features some absolutely jaw-dropping artwork from Juann Cabal — no doubt Marvel's next breakout star. This is the best X-Men book in ages, and an enjoyable superhero comic in its own right, which is also rare at Marvel these days. Recommended.
James DeSantis
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to say, if anyone can followup Taylor's Wolverine, which was pretty strong throughout, Mariko would be the one.

I haven't read too much from Mariko but what I have I enjoyed. Especially her "Being Super" Supergirl miniseries. So I was pretty excited to try this for her name alone, but also because this continues the story of Laura (And Gabby and Johnathan the Wolverine!).

So we see that Laura, X-23, is now on missions to stop clone makers and such. While her trip back to the X-mansion with
Wing Kee
3.5! Big shoes to fill and almost fit perfectly.

World: The art was solid, the character designs and the emotive expressions really gave the characters personality. The art set the tone of the art which was a bit cold and distant and I think that was on purpose and used to great effect. The world building here is solid. With a new series and a new status quo people were expecting change and for the most part most of that doesn’t happen here and that’s great. I loved Taylor’s series and this is a
Roy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty cool overall story. Big shoes to fill. I can already see a different style. It actually kind of reminds me of the Ms Marvel run. Good solid fun. The plot was a little simple but a good intro for the new author.
Rod Brown
I've never read any of the X-23 or All-New Wolverine titles, so I'm not particularly familiar with this character beyond her origin as a clone of the original Wolverine, but I read lots of positive reviews about this particular book, so I picked it up when I saw it at the library.

The story borders on generic for an X-Men tale with the resurrection of some previously dead characters going awry, but the character interplay between the brooding X-23 and her high energy sister clone Honey Badger hoo
José
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
85/100.

Me encanta. No puedo ser imparcial con X-23, pero, de verdad, tiene una calidad excepcional. Mariko Tamaki es una gran guionista; mención especial a Mike Choi y Jesus Aburtov por los pedazos de portadones que nos han dado. El arte de Juann Cabal me sigue gustando; es perfecto para los guiones de X-23.
Renata
(read as single issues)

I loveddddd Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine run and I'm very grumpy about change! First arcs of new comics are always hard! This was fine I guess!
Craig
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume collects issues one through six of Laura Kinney's return her X-23 persona as envisioned by Mariko Tamaki. The X-universe is so convoluted that it's difficult to know what's happening some of the time, but this was both coherent and entertaining. I really liked the story and the art of the first five, which tells a good story featuring the Cuckoos, but the last one seemed inferior on both counts. Oh, and.... Happy Birthday!
AGamarra
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómics-y-mangas
¿Por qué demoraron tanto en hacer una historia como ésta? Aunque el final no fue de mi total agrado, muy breve y sin contar con las consecuencias fue una idea excelente en esta primera parte del cómic hacer una historia con X-23 vs las Stepford Cuckoos. De hecho tal como el volumen cuenta Laura y las Cuckoos tienen mucho en común y de eso se habla frecuentemente. Gaby encuentra interesante eso del "Clone power" y de hecho las hermanas son clones de Emma Frost y tienen todavía mucho con qué lidia ...more
TJ
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was worried that this run couldn't follow the perfection that was Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine, but this volume of X-23 is, thankfully, also very good! This first story arc impressed me, and I'm glad we're seeing at least SOME of Laura's old classmates. I hope we see some more soon? (*cough* Julian, Cessily *cough*) 5/5 stars!
Chris Lemmerman
Laura Kinney is X-23, again. With Honey Badger at her side, she's out to track down anyone experimenting with illegal mutant cloning, and her vengeance will be swift and brutal. But when former teammates make the mistake of involving Laura and Gabby in a scheme to resurrect a fallen comrade, it's X-23 versus the Stepford Cuckoos in a battle of wills! Plus, Laura and Gabby face their toughest challenge yet - high school!

Compared to Tom Taylor's absolutely perfect All-New Wolverine run, anything i
Eli Seibert
4.5 stars for my favorite "snikt!" sisters!
The Lost Dreamer
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super-heroines
It's impossible not to love Laura and Gabby. Mostly when they are written by someone who appreciates not only how lovely the are, but also the great potential they both have as characters. I've slowly fallen in love with Laura, mostly reading Majorie Liu's run on her, but Gabby's touch of humor and candor makes these issues simply perfect. There are lots of lovely and emotional pages that reminded me to Tamaki, Mariko outstanding Supergirl: Being Super. This comic book is not as perfect as Being ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Mariko Tamaki doesn't have quiet the same skill as Tom Taylor in writing Laura and Gabby (and Jonathan), but she's close enough that there are occasionally sublime moments that perfectly capture their characters and their humor, and it gives me hope for the future.

Meanwhile, her plot is terrific. Tamaki draws an obvious but previously unused connection between Laura/Gabby and the other major X-clone family, the Stepford Cuckoos, so this story is all about the Cuckoos, what they've lost, what the
Sebastian Song
Not a bad start but definitely not as fun as Majorie's earlier run.
Adam Fisher
3.5 Stars.
What do you get when you take our two clawed females of the Marvel Universe, X-23 and Honey Badger, and face them off against the Stepford Cuckoos, the Three-in-One? Well, much more than you bargained for when they have abducted a cloning scientist and resurrected their siblings Sophie and Esme to reclaim the title of Five-In-One! They have their eyes set on Gabby, wanting to put Esme into a new, healthier body. And when you set your sights on her sister, Laura will set her claws on yo
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I'm bummed that this isn't as cute as All New Wolverine.
I'm bummed that Gabby isn't as cute as she was in All New Wolverine.
I'm bummed that Jonathon doesn't talk and isn't in many scenes.
But, I'll take what I can get.
Kellie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Laura Kinney & Honey Badger FOR EVER ❤❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
Timothy Shea
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

I was a little apprehensive because Tom Taylor's run on all new Wolverine was so good but X-23 by Mariko Tamaki and Juan Cabal more than lives up to the standard.

The villains are wonderful and tragic and heartbreaking. They're used in a way that gives the reader a deeper understanding of the characters while at the same time raising the stakes for Laura.

The pencils by Jaun Cabal are gd wonderful. There are subtle nods to previous X-Men runs while maintaining it's own style and integr
Imogene
How could anybody NOT love Laura and Gabby? Seriously, I’d sick Johnathan on anybody who didn’t think that they were near perfection.
Laissez Farrell
I wish every issue were as good as the last issue in this volume, but solid overall.
Sesana
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I was a little skeptical when the Cuckoos showed up, but as it turned out, they were a perfect choice. Particularly with Gabby still a big part of Laura's story, there are a lot of parallels and Tamaki does a great job of exploring them. It ends up being a surprisingly powerful story about family and defining yourself as part and apart from that family. It's a strong way to start a new run, with the one drawback that you really need to have more than a passing knowledge of the Cuckoos to really ...more
Tundextra
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men-books
Carrying on from All-New Wolverine Gabby and Laura with intel assistance from the Beast investigate any transfer or purchase of materials used in the Facility or Weapon X. Their latest case seems to be pointing to a group of former X-Men!
This volume also features a dark reboot of the Cuckoo sisters getting all symmetrical again... maybe a nod to 'The Gifted' TV show?
Sadly what starts off as really promising, looses coherence towards the end, thus spoiling the solid preparatory work. The charac
Max
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Laura Kinney as a character has single-handedly dragged me back into comics before now and I'm sure she'll do it again. I really love how Tamaki is synthesizing her past characterizations so far - there have been a lot of them and they've largely conflicted with each other (don't get me started) but Laura's characterization makes sense here and it's so nice to see. Plus I love Gabby. PLUS this is just super fun (I love a comic that leans in on the nonsense sound effects). Thumbs up from me, etc.
Shelley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura/X-23 is done with being the All New Wolverine and is striking out with fellow clone Gabby and their pet wolverine Jonathan. I really only know Laura from an issue or two with Black Widow, but I loved her instantly and loved this run. I definitely had a few points of confusion because I didn't know the history beyond "clone," but it was super enjoyable, well written, great art. Laura and Gabby are marvelous, and the Stepford Cuckoos were creepy and interesting. I will definitely read more.
C
I'm still constantly surprised that a book about a clone of Wolverine can be so goshdarned good... But it just is. Laura feels real and Gabby is freaking hilarious.

Having the Cuckoos appear in this volume is interesting as well (seeing as how they are clones themselves...) and really works. Having liked the cuckoos for a long time, this story ties up part of their history quite interestingly.

The plot is serviceable though never really surprises. Still, I am in for the next volume for sure. Tam
Andy Zell
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I liked the character X-23 from the movie Logan, so I wanted to read more. This was an adequate entry point for now (but requires some knowledge of the X-universe, especially the characters the Stepford Cuckoos--I remember them from Grant Morrison's New X-Men run). I'll continue reading this series and look for more X-23 stories.
Rebeckahsypik
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool clone story. I really like it when they show different personalities in the Cuckoos. And it was Grate how they make parrels between the cuckoos and X-23/Gabby. Gabby was really funny in this one too. Laura's monologue throughout the story was good too, it reminded me of the monologue Logan does to. Enjoyed the art too.
Chandra
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's an interesting look at what goes into being human and what makes up a family. And the characters are funny and have interesting perspectives on the small aspects of life. I recommend picking it up!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more

X-23 (2018) (2 books)