Start by marking “X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23 (2018-2019))” as Want to Read:
X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23 (2018-2019))

X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23

(X-23 (2018) #1)

Collects X-23 (2018) #1-6.

Cloned from a warrior and raised as a killer, Laura Kinney has gone through hell and come out the other side a hero. Now, after a stint following in the footsteps of her "father" as the All-New Wolverine, Laura returns to her roots to make sure no one else ever has to go through the horrors she did! With her sister, Gabby, and their pet wolverine,
Published January 9th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-23 Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23 Vol. 1

Start your review of X-23 Vol. 1: Family Album (X-23 (2018-2019))
Artemy
X-23 by Mariko Tamaki is simply a really fun comic starring Laura and Honey Badger. This is a great pick for the fans of Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine, X-23 and Honey Badger as characters or just for people who love fun comics, and it also features some absolutely jaw-dropping artwork from Juann Cabal — no doubt Marvel's next breakout star. This is the best X-Men book in ages, and an enjoyable superhero comic in its own right, which is also rare at Marvel these days. Recommended.
Chad
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariko Tamaki had some bigfoot sized shoes to fill after Tom Taylor's excellent All-New Wolverine. She smartly sticks to what worked in that series, still focusing on Laura and Gabby's big sister, little sister clone relationship. Even Jonathon the wolverine is still kicking around. I thought having the two pit themselves against the other big clones of the X-Men, the Cuckoos, was smart. It's a great mirror to hold up as the Cuckoos are quite dysfunctional, to say the least. The solo issue where ...more
James DeSantis
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to say, if anyone can followup Taylor's Wolverine, which was pretty strong throughout, Mariko would be the one.

I haven't read too much from Mariko but what I have I enjoyed. Especially her "Being Super" Supergirl miniseries. So I was pretty excited to try this for her name alone, but also because this continues the story of Laura (And Gabby and Johnathan the Wolverine!).

So we see that Laura, X-23, is now on missions to stop clone makers and such. While her trip back to the X-mansion with
David Schaafsma
I read this mainly because I am reading everything Mariko (and her cousin) Jillian Tamaki are doing. And I liked Mariko's Supergirl: Being Super. I have not read anything of the current/recent X-23 runs, such as Marjorie Liu's, and no, not even the lauded Tom Taylor All-New Wolverine, so that puts me at a disadvantage, but I thought this was still fun for what little I knew of the historical refs.

Laura, x-23, is a clone of Wolverine, and she finds anther clone of Wolverine, Honey Badger, so the
RG
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty cool overall story. Big shoes to fill. I can already see a different style. It actually kind of reminds me of the Ms Marvel run. Good solid fun. The plot was a little simple but a good intro for the new author.
Wing Kee
3.5! Big shoes to fill and almost fit perfectly.

World: The art was solid, the character designs and the emotive expressions really gave the characters personality. The art set the tone of the art which was a bit cold and distant and I think that was on purpose and used to great effect. The world building here is solid. With a new series and a new status quo people were expecting change and for the most part most of that doesn’t happen here and that’s great. I loved Taylor’s series and this is a
Rod Brown
I've never read any of the X-23 or All-New Wolverine titles, so I'm not particularly familiar with this character beyond her origin as a clone of the original Wolverine, but I read lots of positive reviews about this particular book, so I picked it up when I saw it at the library.

The story borders on generic for an X-Men tale with the resurrection of some previously dead characters going awry, but the character interplay between the brooding X-23 and her high energy sister clone Honey Badger hoo
Michelle
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I've loved X-23 for over 10 years now, so I'm relatively committed to reading anything that features her. I also love Mariko Tamaki's comics that she writes in collaboration with her cousin Jillian Tamaki, so I thought this would be a winning combination for me. Sadly, it was a bit of a letdown. :(

The main arc in this volume was fine, but... that was it. It was just fine. Laura is still broody with a heart of gold, and Gabby makes a good foil for her, but other than their
Baba
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrying on from All-New Wolverine Gabby and Laura with intel assistance from the Beast investigate any transfer or purchase of materials used in the Facility or Weapon X. Their latest case seems to be pointing to a group of former X-Men!
This volume also features a dark reboot of the Cuckoo sisters getting all symmetrical again... maybe a nod to 'The Gifted' TV show?
Sadly what starts off as really promising, looses coherence towards the end, thus spoiling the solid preparatory work. The charac
Chris Lemmerman
Laura Kinney is X-23, again. With Honey Badger at her side, she's out to track down anyone experimenting with illegal mutant cloning, and her vengeance will be swift and brutal. But when former teammates make the mistake of involving Laura and Gabby in a scheme to resurrect a fallen comrade, it's X-23 versus the Stepford Cuckoos in a battle of wills! Plus, Laura and Gabby face their toughest challenge yet - high school!

Compared to Tom Taylor's absolutely perfect All-New Wolverine run, anything i
Mitchell
I generally like X-23 and I like this author. But this book was disappointing. It just wasn't very readable or very interesting. And I'm kind of not into evil Cuckoos or more clone stuff. I would have rather read something where Laura and Gabby were working WITH the Cuckoos. I've read a lot worse though.
Renata
(read as single issues)

I loveddddd Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine run and I'm very grumpy about change! First arcs of new comics are always hard! This was fine I guess!
Craig
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume collects issues one through six of Laura Kinney's return her X-23 persona as envisioned by Mariko Tamaki. The X-universe is so convoluted that it's difficult to know what's happening some of the time, but this was both coherent and entertaining. I really liked the story and the art of the first five, which tells a good story featuring the Cuckoos, but the last one seemed inferior on both counts. Oh, and.... Happy Birthday!
TJ
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was worried that this run couldn't follow the perfection that was Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine, but this volume of X-23 is, thankfully, also very good! This first story arc impressed me, and I'm glad we're seeing at least SOME of Laura's old classmates. I hope we see some more soon? (*cough* Julian, Cessily *cough*) 5/5 stars!
Sana
'I'm not killing anyone these days. But if she dies... ...no guarantees.'

I will never be okay with Marvel okay-ing Laura taking up the X-23 name, a name she abhors as it makes her feel like an experiment and which she rejected in the All-New Wolverine series in an epic moment. I get Laura wanting to stop anyone else from being on the receiving end of the same trash treatment she was, but I'd argue that she doesn't need the name X-23 in order to do so. It just seems so...regressive

Anyway, I do ap
Eli Seibert
4.5 stars for my favorite "snikt!" sisters!
The Lost Dreamer
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super-heroines
It's impossible not to love Laura and Gabby. Mostly when they are written by someone who appreciates not only how lovely the are, but also the great potential they both have as characters. I've slowly fallen in love with Laura, mostly reading Majorie Liu's run on her, but Gabby's touch of humor and candor makes these issues simply perfect. There are lots of lovely and emotional pages that reminded me to Tamaki, Mariko outstanding Supergirl: Being Super. This comic book is not as perfect as Being ...more
Dakota Morgan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking reboot to the X-23 series that features strong action, a reasonably clear plot, and delightful banter between Gabby and Laura. That last point is really this series' core strength. Laura (X-23) and Gabby (Honey Badger) are quite possibly Marvel's finest team-up.

In Family Album, Mariko Tamaki's debut with the X-23 series, Laura and Gabby are on some sort of clone patrol for the X-Men. Tasked with finding a missing clone scientist, they quickly discover that a quintet of Emma Frost cl
Shannon Appelcline
Mariko Tamaki doesn't have quiet the same skill as Tom Taylor in writing Laura and Gabby (and Jonathan), but she's close enough that there are occasionally sublime moments that perfectly capture their characters and their humor, and it gives me hope for the future.

Meanwhile, her plot is terrific. Tamaki draws an obvious but previously unused connection between Laura/Gabby and the other major X-clone family, the Stepford Cuckoos, so this story is all about the Cuckoos, what they've lost, what the
Adan
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuing adventures of Laura and Gabby (aka Wolverine and Honey Badger) are the best! There’s a lot of sisterly love, betrayal, and fighting as Laura and Gabby team up with but also fight the Stepford Cuckoos (and each other). Then Laura and Gabby go undercover at a high school, and Gabby makes the best Arnold Schwarzenegger joke.
Timothy Shea
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

I was a little apprehensive because Tom Taylor's run on all new Wolverine was so good but X-23 by Mariko Tamaki and Juan Cabal more than lives up to the standard.

The villains are wonderful and tragic and heartbreaking. They're used in a way that gives the reader a deeper understanding of the characters while at the same time raising the stakes for Laura.

The pencils by Jaun Cabal are gd wonderful. There are subtle nods to previous X-Men runs while maintaining it's own style and integr
Imogene
How could anybody NOT love Laura and Gabby? Seriously, I’d sick Johnathan on anybody who didn’t think that they were near perfection.
Sebastian Song
Not a bad start but definitely not as fun as Majorie's earlier run.
Kellie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Laura Kinney & Honey Badger FOR EVER ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ ...more
Adam Fisher
3.5 Stars.
What do you get when you take our two clawed females of the Marvel Universe, X-23 and Honey Badger, and face them off against the Stepford Cuckoos, the Three-in-One? Well, much more than you bargained for when they have abducted a cloning scientist and resurrected their siblings Sophie and Esme to reclaim the title of Five-In-One! They have their eyes set on Gabby, wanting to put Esme into a new, healthier body. And when you set your sights on her sister, Laura will set her claws on yo
Fraser Sherman
3.5. I only know X-23 from her appearances in Young Avengers. Here, the Wolverine clone is fighting with her clone sister Gaby (AKA Honey Badger) to shut down science organizations using their DNA to create supersoldiers. This brings them into an encounter with the hive-mind Stepford Cuckoos, who have a plan to resurrect their dead sister.
The characters were the strength of this story. The Stepford Cuckoos come off really creepy, more so than in most of their appearances.The plot, however, is mu
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I'm bummed that this isn't as cute as All New Wolverine.
I'm bummed that Gabby isn't as cute as she was in All New Wolverine.
I'm bummed that Jonathon doesn't talk and isn't in many scenes.
But, I'll take what I can get.
K Whatsherface
It's it bad that it kinda bugs me that Laura's hair is up in the beginning. To be fair it use to bug me that she never seemed to pull her hair back and it was always in her face. Not in that, let us see you pretty face kinda way more of the, you're doing awesome ninja stuff, isnt your hair getting in your way....yes this is how I think. Still loving gabby.
Kris Ritchie
Thank you Tamaki for wonderfully continuing my favorite non-team team book, X-23 with Honey Badger. I was soooo worried throughout this volume, but Tamaki nails all the characters from Taylor's run and sets Laura down a new, but somewhat familiar, path.
James
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-marvel, comicbooks
Clone vs. clone. Gabby is a fun kid.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spider-Geddon
  • X-Men Red, Vol. 1: The Hate Machine
  • X-Men: Black
  • Fantastic Four by Dan Slott, Vol. 1: Fourever
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more

X-23 (2018) (2 books)