Start by marking “Without a Doubt” as Want to Read:
Without a Doubt

Without a Doubt

(Detective Dave Burrows)

'The entrance to Nundrew was like any country town Dave had ever been to. He revved the engine of the bike and upped his speed. That should get the attention of a few people as he flew down the main street.'

Detective Dave Burrows had never even heard of Nundrew in Queensland before. He'd certainly never have guessed that this was where he'd be risking his life.

In Barrabi
Published April 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin AU

Start your review of Without a Doubt
Sharon
Without a Doubt by Aussie author Fleur Mc Donald is a well written suspense novel that leaves you desiring more. With likeable characters such as Dave and a plot line that draws you in right from the start all the things that make for a great and intriguing story.

Having read a few books by this author I know her books will always be enjoyable and this one was right up there with them. Rural outback suspense with a little romance all make for a great read in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed this
Brenda
Detective Dave Burrows was settled into his life in Barrabine in Western Australia with his offsider Spencer having shown him the ropes. He loved the rural lifestyle, helping the locals and keeping law and order. The trouble was, his young wife was unhappy. Melinda hadn’t long had their daughter Bec, and although she was now eighteen months old, Melinda continued to be unsettled and restless about her life. Making it worse was the fact that her family lived in Perth and her father continued to p ...more
Veronica ⭐️
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
McDonald writes a riveting rural crime story that had me grabbing for the book every spare minute I had.

Even though this is my first Det Dave Burrows novel the characterization was ample for Dave to come across as sincere and likeable. You find yourself barracking for him.

The story is spread wide across the Australian outback with settings in both the remote goldfields town of Barrabine WA and Nundrew in Central Queensland.
McDonald has clearly done her re
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Australia’s very own, ‘voice of the outback’ returns with a smashing new tale, featuring her popular and enduring character, Detective Dave Burrows. It is time to travel back into the past, as we receive a gritty insight into the detective’s burgeoning career. Without a Doubt is a full bodied rural fiction title, underscored by a heavy dose of crime, while at the same timing exposing the challenges of outback living.

Without a Doubt shines a light on strains
Jenny
Without a Doubt is book to in the Detective Dave Burrows series by Fleur McDonald. Detective Dave Burrows was happy and contented with his live-in Barrabine. However, his wife Melinda wanted to go home and decided to leave him. Feeling lonely Detective Dave Burrows agreed to go undercover to find the answers to the growing cattle rustling in his community. The readers will continue to follow Detective Dave Burrows to find out will this dangerous mission be his last.

I am so pleased that Fleur M
Michelle
The complete review can be read at Beauty and Lace online.

Without A Doubt is engaging and well paced, a read that kept some interesting little twists nice and quiet until the very end but I feel like it wrapped up a little too quickly. I'm left with some questions that I just don't know if I will ever have answers to.

Fleur McDonald has a wealth of farming experience in rural Australia and she employs that knowledge to pen a tale of small communities, mustering and stock losses.

This is a tale tha
Jessica
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I just had to keep reading until I found out what happened.
Deborah
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
My mother saw this book sitting on the bedside table a few weeks ago, "Oh a new Fleur McDonald!" she exclaimed. Her knowledge surprised me, though I don't know why as she reads all of the books I receive and has the same level of interest. (My brother and I had to get our love of reading from somewhere!)

"It's a young Dave Burrows one," I told her. And she knew what I meant... we were stepping back in time... albeit to 1999, which seems like yesterday. But... apparently isn't.

In the first book in
Lynda
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered Fleur McDonald through Beauty & Lace Book Club last year and have since read many of her books. Without a Doubt lives up to it’s pedigree and keeps you entertained and captivated from the first page. Dave Burrows is a character from many other books of Fleur McDonald. He originally popped up as a minor character and has slowly become the main character and drawcard. I really enjoyed reading this book and getting more background on the character and where he started from. This ...more
Renee Hermansen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Allen & Unwin and Beauty and Lace for this book, ‘Without a doubt” by Fleur McDonald.

Following the story of Dave Burrows in his work and home life. His struggles and achievements are told in a way that keep you enthralled and I could not put the book down.

The story of a policeman’s life and the effect it has on his family. The sacrifices one must make on a daily basis and then to go undercover and leave everyone and everything behind is an ordeal on everyone involved as well as being e
Trish
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about the early days of Dave Burrows. I haven't read all of Fleur's books, and I'm not yet 'following' Dave Burrows, so thought this was a good one to bed down in anticipation!

I have to say that I'm not in love with Australian outback stories. Many authors spend too much time (for me) on describing the countryside. Fleur hasn't done this too badly. And there were enough characters and character driven action that I could handle the countryside.

The resolution perhaps came a bi
Dianne Sidebottom
Continuing series of Dave Burrows detective goes undercover. Family life with Melinda had problems. We meet another police officer Justin who was a interesting character. I'm trying to work out how the title fits in and wonder is that the end result. The book had my thinking wired up and kept me awake, I didn't know I had few pages to read. Enjoyed the story not the marital issues. But ready to read another Dave story when it comes.
Rosalie
I liked the first half of the book as it was fast paced and the tension between Dave, his wife and his in-laws added to the criminal drama. The cattle station setting seemed authentic and but the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more. It is a good enough time filler while on holiday.
Nevertheless I dropped my rating as I felt that the story wrapped up too briefly and the opening for the sequel is therefore too obvious.
Marilyn Maloney
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is “Without a Doubt” one of the best books I have read. I love the storyline following Dave Burrows on his life journey. From the ups and downs working in the Police force to the ups and downs in his marriage this book has kept me riveted and wanting to know more about Daves future. I can’t wait for the next book in this series!
D.J. Blackmore
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you can talk the talk because you've walked the walk, it's enjoyable as a reader, more especially as a fellow Aussie. And if Fleur McDonald was as good a jillaroo as she is at writing rural crime, then she's also an accomplished girl on the land. This is a book with enough backbone that I've still got the meat caught between my teeth. A satisfying feed of country Australia.
Cookie1
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant story with Detective Dave Burrows as the main character. Dave and Melinda are having problems. She goes back to Bunbury to be with her parents. Is their marriage over? Dave is devastated by this and takes a temporary job in Queensland. It is extremely dangerous, will he survive?
An excellent book that makes it so easy to identify with the characters and their surroundings.
Suzanne
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I felt this story gave me the backstory to Detective Burrows that I never really read in the other McDonald novels.
This novel contains crime, murder, drama, death and desire.
The desire of the detective's wife for her old life in the city in order to escape the demands of her husband's workload.

Good although not as great as others.
Vicki Robe
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always a pleasure to read Fleur Mc Donald's books and this is a ripper placing Detective Dave Burrows in the thick of things in an undercover sting to try and stop a ring of dangerous cattle thieves and murderers in their tracks.

Along with his private life falling apart Dave Burrows has nothing to lose, or does he?

Can't wait to get started on the next installment!
Dragonladymoi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, this book was an awesome read! It had all the elements of a really good plot: injustice, romance gone wrong, murder, action and a really good resolution. I can’t wait to read the next Dave Burrows story by Fleur McDonald. I gave this book five stars.
Diane
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcdonald-fleur
A great early Dave Burrows story.
Melanie Bowers
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am halfway through and it is another can't put it down..... I love the mystery and the real life small town life.
Another winner from a great aussie author
waz1234W
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

This book was hard to put down I really enjoyed reading it looking forward to the next one thank you
Cindy Pearson
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Fleur. I loved going back to the start of Dave’s career.
Janine
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I struggled a bit at the start but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I haven’t read any other Dave Burrows stories but that didn’t seem to matter. Thanks to Beauty and Lace Book Club and Allen & Unwin for my copy to review. ...more
Susan Dawson
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Loved seeing the new life of recurrent characters - Dave B. Really enjoyed the last half especially. Thanks FM
Karen
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
Angela
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very captivating. I love Fleur McDonald's rural romances!
Kathryn
I wish we could award half stars. Most of the way through this book I was going to award it 2 stars. Then about two thirds of the way in it got better. So I've awarded it 3.
Christie Paterson
I cannot rave about Fleur's books enough. They never disappoint. She just can't write fast enough!!!
Lyn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sell
Great read.

• Mr Right Now (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #2)
  • Something in the Wine
  • Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • Something to Talk About
  • The Desert Midwife
  • The Last Paradise
  • Matters of the Heart
  • A Life Of Her Own
  • Just One Wish
  • The Wrong Callahan (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #1)
  • Fool Me Once
  • White Horses
  • Secrets of Silvergum
  • The Boundary Fence (Woodlea, #7)
  • Stone Country
  • Undara
  • Wildflower Ridge
  • The Roadhouse
After growing up on a farm near Orroroo in South Australia, Fleur McDonald’s first job was jillarooing in the outback. She has been involved in agriculture all her life, including helping manage a 8000-acre station foe twenty years. Today she and her two children, along with a Jack Russell and her energetic kelpie, Jack, live in Esperance, Western Australia,

Fleur is the author of 14 bestselling n

Detective Dave Burrows (7 books)
  • Fool's Gold (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Suddenly One Summer
  • Where the River Runs (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Red Dirt Country (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • The Shearer's Wife