Start by marking “The Ten Thousand Doors of January” as Want to Read:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

In the early 1900s, a young woman searches for her place in the world after finding a mysterious book in this captivating and lyrical debut.

Published September 10th 2019 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Thousand Doors of January, please sign up.
Alix Harrow It's a standalone! There's room for further adventures, but it's all pretty tidily wrapped-up.
Alix Harrow
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
I almost didn’t write this review.

I felt that to speak of this book would be to contain what it did to me, to diminish it somehow. And I didn’t want to do that. The Ten Thousand Doors of January is almost less a novel than an experience: never have I felt more like I was part of things, moved by the same current, like my soul had disconnected from my body and drifted among fictional souls in a mist somewhere between fantasy and reality.

It seemed hardly credible when I finished reading that I co
Petrik
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Gorgeous and magical; it’s not a stretch to call The Ten Thousand Doors of January a magnificent physical manifestation of a grimoire.

Orbit did it again. The Ten Thousand Doors of January has shot to the top of my TBR since the moment I saw the cover and heard about the premise; I was charmed and can safely say that I don’t think I’ve read many books as beautifully written as this novel. I’ve been saying this over
karen
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

i mean, it’s a perfect book.

that should be the alpha and the omega of this book review, because you’ve probably already read the synopsis, and if it takes more than that to convince you of this book’s desirability, i’m sure i don’t have the words to do it.

if you like seanan mcguire’s wayward children series, you will probably enjoy this. obviously, they both involve doorways to other worlds, young(ish) protagonists, and adventure, but their more significant shared characteristi
Paromjit
If there is a part of you that has always felt there is magic in the world ever since childhood, despite voices to the contrary, and have a penchant for the whimsical, then Alix Harrow has written the perfect novel for you. It is a story of doors, portals if you will, existing in places of particular resonance, stepping through the void, into fables, folklore, adventure, love and sanctuary, and the infinite power of words and stories. In 1901, at the age of 7, the red skinned, wilful and cantank ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ETA: On the Fantasy Literature website, at the link, there's a truly fascinating and insightful interview with this author, Alix Harrow. And one commenter in the thread to that page will win a free copy of this book! Right now the chances are great, about 1 in 10 (not counting comments from people associated with the site), so go give it a shot!

All the stars! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature (along with my co-reviewer Marion's excellent review):

The Ten Thousand Doors of January i
Teodora
Seeing the cover? - Want it!
Seeing the synopsis? - Need it!
Realising it is about escaping the reality? - Well, run a DNA test cuz I and this book relate for sure
Nilufer Ozmekik
5 thousand stars first for wonderful, amazing illustration on the cover and five thousand stars go for rest of the heart throbbing, one of the most creative, colorful, joyful journeys to many different imaginary portals you can never imagine to visit!

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT, OPEN YOUR EYES, READY TO COUNT TO 10 THOUSAND!

This is amazing combination of McGuire’s Wayward Children Series and Stephen King’s Dark Tower series!

BLURB: Seven years old January’s revelation of finding a door opens to Faeri
Emily May
In the summer of 1901, at the age of seven, January Scaller found a Door. You know the kind of door–they lead to Faerie, to Valhalla, to Atlantis, to all the places never found on a map.

These portal fantasy premises get me EVERY TIME. This sounds a bit like McGuire's Wayward Children series, which I love. Also exciting that this comes highly recommend by Josiah Bancroft 😍 Can't wait!

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔑
Emer (A Little Haze)
NOW PUBLISHED

The blurb from NetGalley:

EVERY STORY OPENS A DOOR
In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored and utterly out of place.
But her quiet existence is shattered when she stumbles across a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds and tells a tale of secret doors, of love, adv
Amalia Gavea
''Maybe you've even seen one for yourself, standing half-ajar and rotted in an old church, or oiled and shining in a brick wall. Maybe, if you're one of those fanciful persons who find their feet running toward unexpected places, you've even walked through one and found yourself in a very unexpected place indeed.''

January is a young girl torn between two worlds. Her parentage makes her special, yet people see what they want to see, dictated by the (twisted) preconceived notions of the early 20
Celeste
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Actual rating: way more than 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher (Orbit/Redhook) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
“Listen, not every story is made for telling. Sometimes just by telling a story you’re stealing it, stealing a little of the mystery away from it.”

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is quite possibly the most achingly beautiful novel I’ve ever read, a
Josiah Bancroft
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by Alix E. Harrow is a beautifully written and absorbing tale of lost love, stately prisons, ghastly villains, and terrible secrets. It’s a smart and roving adventure that has a full and thumping heart.

Harrow has created a mythology that is both tangible and tantalizing, and has injected that vision into turn of the 20th century America. The historic details greatly enrich and never distract from a narrative that spans generations, continents, and worlds. This i
megs_bookrack
So excited to finally be starting this!!!

Doors to other worlds???

I'm knocking.
Let me in!

Thank you for the ARC, Redhook Books!
TS Chan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher, Orbit.

Incredibly lush, exquisite and enchanting, The Ten Thousand Doors of January has all the makings of a classic. One which I'm certain will be well-loved and much-read. And I dare say not only by those who enjoy fantasy, for this novel is pure joy in literary form that is a tribute to almost every reader out there.

Do you love books? This book is for you.

Do you love the written word? This book is for you.

Do you love stories and escapism? This book is for you.

Whe
Melissa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SH*T. This book was like a drug to me. Portals and the multiverse and word magic and fascinating women and crisp, textured prose I wanted to fold and unfold like a letter. It's truly one of those books that's bigger on the inside, a house with countless rooms.
Amy Imogene Reads
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
4 stars!

A girl writes herself a door to another world...and it opens.

Concept: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Plot: ★★★★
Emotional feel: ★★★★

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a book that sits precariously on the edge of multiple genres, just like its protagonist sits on the edge of multiple worlds. It's a heady blend of fairy tale, spoken parable, historical fiction, letters, and fantastical portal fantasy.

I was coming for the portal fantasy and the fairy tale. With that in mind, I think it's important t
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
“Sometimes I feel like there are doors lurking in the creases of every sentence, with periods for knobs and verbs for hinges.”

Imagine being a child again, running through an overgrown field beneath a blue sky. Letting your hands trail through the tops of the wild grains when suddenly
you notice a raggedy blue door standing in the open. Would you open it?

That is exactly how The Ten Thousand Doors of January begins. In the early 1900s following a young deeply imaginative girl named January who most
Dannii Elle
“It is at the moments when the doors open, when things flow between the worlds, that stories happen.”

Alix E. Harrow just wrote the story of my heart. This follows January, a lonely girl who only finds solace inside the pages of books. She also finds a family inside of one too, when a mysterious book about strange people and stranger worlds is given to her in a similarly mysterious and inexplicable fashion. Through both this book, and the segments of the other, we find doorways into worlds, the w
Bradley
Like the cover to this book, the innards are lush, romantic, and adventuresome. Beautiful prose, much better story, and ten thousand open doors to other realms awaiting us.

Eventually. The first part reads mostly like a Secret Garden type story, complete with the right time period. This may be a bonus to a lot of you, but to me, it was quite simply okay.

When we get word of her father's demise, however, everything picks up pace. I particularly loved how vast swaths of plot were wrapped up in neat
Haïfa
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, favorites
I would like to thank the publisher, Orbit, for providing an early copy in exchange for an honest opinion. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and the quotes included may change in the released copy.

This book was everything I hoped it would be, and more! It was sweet, it was heartbreaking and heart-mending at the same time. Rarely has a book exceeded my expectations, stimulated my imagination and filled me with wonder the way The Ten Thousand Doors of January has. Rarely has a book
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Upon reading the first few pages of The Ten Thousand Doors of January, it is pretty clear that Alix E. Harrow has a way to write most eloquently and organic, a whimsical tale reminiscent of childhoods' past imaginary wonders, curiosities, and secrets. The most beautiful, exquisite passages of words strung together so naturally, they elude to the calm and quiet brilliance within, ever so gently evoking the reader's attention wrapped around in every line, page by page.

The Ten Thousand Doors of Jan
Norma * Traveling Sister
Bewitching, creative, & magical!

THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by ALIX E. HARROW is an imaginative, enchanting, intriguing, and unique story that wasn’t the easiest book for me to read. I was a little bit bored in the beginning and almost called it quits quite a few times. I am so glad that I persevered because at approx. 58% in is when things started to get a lot more exciting and come together for me.

The writing is quite beautiful but extremely wordy and dense that definitely bogged do
Umut Reviews
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ten Thousand Doors of January is definitely one to watch for. I loved the writing, and I think Harrow is a very promising writer, and I look forward to what she'll come up in the following years.
Sometimes you gel with a writer's style immediately, and that was the case with this book. I really liked the style of writing. The beginning of the book was sort of a coming of age tale, where we get to know January, the main character. Then, we slowly start to learn about the doors, and start to d
Ova - Excuse My Reading
3.5 stars rounded to 4. It felt unfair to score this book 3 stars!
This book is really a well-written fantasy. It has the feel of a classic. The start was so compelling. I was drawn into January's world, feeling her isolation, loneliness, "unable to fit" mind state at heart. I think this was incredibly well written. But the more I read, the more I found it difficult to concentrate. I wanted to know more about the Ten Thousand doors, but it was revealed really slowly for my liking. I was expectin
Schizanthus
Perhaps one cannot walk through a door and back out again without changing the world.
This was a book within a book, worlds within a world, dream come true. I was enchanted and mesmerised from the very beginning. My heart is full of hope and possibilities, and my imagination is so happy and fulfilled, yet because you can never have enough magical portals in your life, I’m left yearning for more.

I want to tell you everything about this book but don’t want to ruin it for you so I’ll only tell y
Hollis
This was nothing that I expected it to be while also being exactly what I thought it would. Go figure that one out because I’m not sure I do!

Doors [..] are change, and change is a dangerous necessity. Doors are revolutions and upheavals, uncertanties and mysteries, axis points around which entire worlds can be turned. They are the beginnings and ending of every true story, the passages between that lead to adventures and madness and even love.

THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY is portal fantasy a
Dave
Once upon a time magic filled the air and there were dragons and wizards and all matter of fell beast sailing through the air. But, the creak and groan of modern civilization has tamed even the darkest most remote places and nothing is left unexplored, unmapped, unwritten. And those that insist on seeing magic when there is none will be hailed as crazy and perhaps locked away.

Magic and fantasy has returned with a vengeance. Don't believe those reports that say it's all been seen and observed. T
Amanda
the ten thousand doors of january by alix e harrow bookstagram photo.png Check out this picture on my Instagram!
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 5 Stars
I was a little apprehensive about this title because it's been getting a lot of hype, but also since it is a portal fantasy I assumed that it would require a lot of world building for all of the different worlds. While the story didn't travel to the many worlds that I expected it to and wanted it to, I still wound up absolutely loving this story. Right away I liked th
Mandi1082
The Ten Thousand Doors of January is about a girl named January that as a child finds a door to other worlds. Years later when she becomes a ward to the wealthy Mr Locke because her father has gone missing that when secrets start to get revealed when she finds a book that tells a story of secret doors, love and adventure.

There was some beautiful quotes in this book.

"Let that be a lesson to you: if you are too good and too quiet for too long, it will cost you. It will cost you, in the end."

"I c
Colleen
5 Stars

*A exquisite and poignant standalone debut novel with magic, adventure, and the joy of reading*

ARC provided by Redhook Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I knew as soon as I heard about The Ten Thousand Doors of January that I absolutely had to read it. The title, that gorgeous cover, the awed whispers about the story all combined into a rhythm that pulsed out, “read me, read me, read me,” in a hypnotizing tattoo. Although hyped-up books frequently disappoint me (almo

• The Future of Another Timeline
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Chilling Effect
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Silver in the Wood
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Afterland
  • The City We Became
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Stepsister
  • The Lesson
I've been a student and a teacher, a farm-worker and a cashier, an ice-cream-scooper and a 9-to-5 office-dweller. I've lived in tents and cars, cramped city apartments and lonely cabins, and spent a summer in a really sweet '79 VW Vanagon. I have library cards in at least five states.

Now I'm a full-time writer living in with my husband and two semi-feral kids in Berea, Kentucky. It is, I'm very su
“The will to be polite, to maintain civility and normalcy, is fearfully strong. I wonder sometimes how much evil is permitted to run unchecked simply because it would be rude to interrupt it.” 7 likes
“Destiny is a pretty story we tell ourselves. Lurking beneath it there are only people, and the terrible choices we make.” 5 likes