Start by marking “Child of Mine” as Want to Read:
Child of Mine

Child of Mine

Lauren didn't intend to sleep with her brother-in-law Cole on the day of her husband's funeral. But now that she is pregnant, she's not sorry. Cole's given her a baby, a long-wished-for miracle. He's been her friend forever, though she never told him or anyone else how unhappy her marriage to his cheating brother was. And she's afraid to tell the small town that considered ...more
Published February 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Child of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of Mine

Start your review of Child of Mine
Maria
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, small-town
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
In “Child of Mine”, by Jana Richards, a peculiar encounter in a rather difficult context leads the romantic couple to a tangled mess of emotions and lies, in a web of personal and familial ramifications.
I found this an interesting, unusual premise and I liked the realistic depiction of the conflicting emotions and fears Cole and Lauren go through.
I empathized with both main characters and understood their dilemmas. I loved Cole, th
Jayasree B
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
From the blurb, this book sounded interesting and it lived up to the expectations.
It was an emotional story and the two main characters were always tiptoeing around each other. Perhaps, there would have been more depth to things if they had faced the situation head-on. Also, I was disappointed in Lauren having to fib about her life while being married to Billy. And I was also disappointed with her family who knew something was wrong but did not even bother to ask. Why?
This is not the book that
Elisa
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An emotional, dramatic roller coaster with some sweet moments, heartbreak and true love.
Great characters, I really loved the small-town feel of the book.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

This sweet, small town book is full of honest, straightforward characters.

Read full review in the 2019 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Teresa  Christianson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great story of best friends since they were young falling in love but not letting each other know how they really feel. Lauren was married to Cole's brother who cheated on her all the time. When she had enough she finally asked for a divorce, they had a huge fight and he was killed in a car accident that night with another woman in the car with him. She couldn't tell anyone what really happened because she was too embarrassed to have stayed with him for as long as she did. Lauren and C ...more
Teresa  Christianson
Romantic Reads and Such
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this one.  It's ripe for drama and conflict but surprisingly (and happily) Richards steered away from that.  Instead we get a couple of people going from friends to lovers, with just a few bumps along the way.  Neither of them are very good at talking about how they feel and make a lot of assumptions.  It took a bit to get over what they did on the day of the funeral - it only makes sense that it would make things awkward, which only exasperates their ...more
Karen  Dee
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book though at times it was exceedingly frustrating due to the characters lack of bravery. It is rare now a days to read a romance novel where the story is mostly just about the couple and very little plot outside of it. That can be a bad thing but in this case and in this story it was a really good thing. I enjoyed that the only thing I needed to focus on was the growth of these characters and seeing them put aside the past and stand up to their family and friends. What was frust ...more
EducatedBookFreak
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story of redemption and second chances. I loved the characters and how real their situations were. They capture your attention and heart because the constant battles they have had. I loved Cole because he was always doing what was right. When he finds out the devastating news, he steps up and helps her. He is the epitome of a good man who does what is necessary and right. They have many obstacles in their way, but it all turns out. They both get what they want and deserve.

Laure
Sharon
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and I was not disappointed. The plot is well thought out and moves along at a steady pace throughout. The main characters appeared to be well thought out and presented, their dialogue seemed believable and appropriate. They had no intention of falling in love but then romance and love often happens when least expected. The problem with this one is that it is somewhat out of the societal norm and so it could be frowned upon and meant that both cha ...more
Linda Palmer
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been intrigued by the journey old friends take to become more to each other. Jana Richards did not disappoint as she tackled this very theme. Her writing style is concise yet tender, and I was quickly pulled into the story of one woman’s struggle to make sense of her life after the death of her husband. Sometimes the “mistakes” we make bring about our downfalls. But sometimes they result in a brand new turn of events that are unexpectedly perfect.

Lauren and Cole are meant for each ot
Konny
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Child of Mine by Jana Richards is the first book in her Masonville Series. Child of Mine is a standalone and has no cliffhanger.
We meet Lauren Walsh on the day she buries her husband. Both were living a lie, but that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is that she has a encounter with her brother-in-law, Cole.
Cole is a good guy. He's secretly in love with Lauren for a long time. He wished she would have picked him, but no. But now is his chance, or?
Child of Mine is a sweet second chance story
Christal
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little love story. After watching her husband be buried after a car accident, Lauren finds that she can’t bear the platitudes and sympathy of others as they have no idea what her marriage to Billie was really like. She finds solace in her best friend’s company, sharing remembrances with Cole and making love with him on the very night of Billie’s funeral. One little detail, Cole is Billie’s brother. And Lauren became pregnant.

I really liked that story picked up on the fear and worry that L
Penny Ellgass
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. Lauren was in a non physically abusive relationship with her husband,who just died, she turns to her best friend growing up for comfort and they make love.
Cole has always loved Lauren but his brother Billy stole her away, it broke his heart. After the funeral they console each other, but feel torn by it.
3 months later their is going to be a baby, this is their story of loss, betrayal, misunderstandings, fears, insecurities, hope and love.
I was unable to put it down, enjoy.

I r
Barbara
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aurora
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A young widow turns to her brother-in-law for comfort on the day of her husband's funeral with unexpected consequences of the nine months later variety leading to a lot of uncertainties and miscommunications but ultimately to an HEA.
I confess to moments when I wanted to lock the hero and heroine in a room and not let them out until they'd actually talked to each other, but mostly it's a sweet, slightly steamy romance story with a lot of family drama leftover from the dead husband/brother.
When al
Jessica
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren has just buried her husband... and she’s not really mourning him... Cole is her brother-in-law... she’s pregnant... after making love with Cole once... but she pretends the baby is her deceased husband’s...

Doesn’t that just grab your attention?!?!

I enjoyed this book and hope Lauren’s sister and brother get there own stories. I’m guessing since this is book 1 they might. This is my first book by this author. I do recommend it.
Jessica
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

Doesn’t that just grab your attention?!?!

Karina
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Child of Mine” by Jana Richards is the first book I have read by this new to me author. This book will not be the last. Once I started reading I could not put it down I needed to know how this would all play out and I was not disappointed. This is a very emotional second chance love story it brought tears to my eyes. I really enjoyed the storyline even though some may think what happened is socially unacceptable. This is a well written book with well-defined characters.
GSMC Book Review Podcast
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lauren and Cole are life-long friends who are thrown together after the death of Lauren's husband. Both have to overcome emotional circumstances and past experiences in order to have a relationship that will enable them to co-parent their coming child. This is a very sweet contemporary romance that introduces the reader to a place and a set of characters that will be appearing in the upcoming books of the series. ...more
Ashleigh
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The writing draws you in and keeps you involved throughout the whole story, I found myself in love with not only the characters but also the world that was created.

The descriptions of the characters and their feelings are so involved, you can truly picture it in your mind. Their attitudes toward the events that are happening makes the story even richer.

I received a free copy of this book. This review was posted voluntarily.
Julie Sherman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a 4.5

This book was a great length and characters where well established. The story was great length and I her writing was smooth. I just felt the meeting of the hearts and minds took way to long and if they had communicated sooner the story could have been deeper emotionally.
Tanya
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She had sex with her dead husband brother in the very day he was buried. He had been in love with her since he was a child. the baby she is carrying is his and not her husband. how will everyone take it if they find out? Can they have a happy ending? See if they can

Susan Hutchinson
Satisfying read

Jana Richards weaves a story of love that springs from friendship, but tainted by insecurities and a big lie. The story line and 2 main characters are well developed. The “villain” is a bit formulaic, but serves the purpose.
Mona williams
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
this book was so touching!she sleeps with her brother in law ion the day of her husbands funeral. now she is pregnant and everyone believes its her husbands child. only she knows different. will she tell the real father? read to find out what happens.
Sara Callaway
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lauren just buried her husband and finds comfort in her friend who just so happens to be Cole, her husband's brother. Between two people who didn't express how they felt to a secret baby, what could make a better story. ...more
Sandy
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a nice story about unrequited love, youthful mistakes, and second chances. I liked the characters and the flow of the story. However, I didn’t feel that the detailed sex scenes really fit in with what was otherwise a sweet story.
JoAnne
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story about family and love. A story about taking chances and making choices. A story about being afraid to follow your heart and being hurt. A story about things aren't always what you perceive and not seeing what is right there in front of you. A story I absolutely recommend to all. ...more
Crystal Galloway
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read

Well written book. One never knows what going to happen in life. One never knows what you would do when you world has crash and burned.
You feel the pain, the love, the uncertainty, the final push.
Tracy Antonelli Manderson
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book cant wait to start the next book in the series

• Maybe Now
  • Midnight Melody
  • A Long Way from Yesterday
  • Music Man (Romance in Rehoboth, #1)
  • Eternal (The Queen's Alpha #1)
  • The Rusted Scalpel (Dr. Nicklaus Hart #3)
  • Cade (Default Distraction #3)
  • One Little Wish (The Little Things Mystery #1)
  • It Started with a Kiss (Insta-Spark Collection, #1)
  • The Prospect Who Saved Us (The Devil's Dust MC Legacy, #3)
  • Hearts of Darkness (The Santiago Trilogy, #1)
  • Wolf Kiss (Warrior Wolves #1)
  • Chasing Secrets
  • Deadlock (Uncommon Enemies #3)
  • The Challenge: The Redemption Series Book 1
  • Pandorum
  • Perfect Mistake (Perfect, #1)
  • The Haunting of Hillwood Farm
Jana Richards has tried her hand at many writing projects over the years, from magazine articles and short stories to paranormal suspense and romantic comedy. She loves to create characters with a sense of humor, but also a serious side. She believes there's nothing more interesting then peeling back the layers of a character to see what makes them tick.

When not writing up a storm, working at her