Start by marking “Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces” as Want to Read:
Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces

Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces

Are you looking to build a workplace culture with a certain buzz about it? Where employees are thriving and engagement survey scores are through the roof. Where people from different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities are hired and set up for success—and they want their friends to work there too because their experience is so positi ...more
Published January 14th 2019 by Better Allies Press

To ask other readers questions about Better Allies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Allies

Start your review of Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces
J.K. M.
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Unfortunately, diverse and inclusive workplaces are elusive. They are both difficult to find and hard to create.” Better Allies begins with this truthbomb.

The author pulls no punches: your workplace is NOT a meritocracy if the demographics state otherwise.

I’ve long considered myself an ally, advocate and champion, but it isn’t always clear what to DO. And I think every well-intentioned ally has experienced the feeling of trepidation: am I getting this all wrong? Or the moment of doubt when you
Maija Hall
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Better Allies gives clear and actionable steps to becoming a better ally and advocate for change in the corporate world. Anyone looking for high-impact actions that will support POC, LGBTQ+, white women, women of color workers (hint: everyone!) should read this and will be able to commit to at least one consistent practice.

That being said, this book is not for someone who does not understand why inclusive, engaging workplaces are important. There is a brief section on privilege (one of the best
Poornima Vijayashanker
Diversity and inclusion may be hot buttons to stay clear of, especially with people scrutinizing practices and scoffing at the benefits. But you know they are important. So how can you approach the topics, and set your team and company up to see a change? Through Allyship.

Wondering what it is and how to be a better ally? Karen Catlin covers what it is and how to be a better ally through simple actions you can perform with your team and company daily.
Dustin
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This book was fantastic. I would highly recommend it. It provided a ton of actionable advice, specifically for people with a lot of privilege, to be allies for underrepresented groups.

Aside from the many things I learned, one of the most helpful things was a list of 50 different privileges you could have. I had 47, and it was really eye opening. Not only that, but as the author expected, a lot of the items made me think “that really happens?”

The book provided me with a lot of insight into the ch
Dan Ward
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful, practical ideas, meticulously researched & considered. It's a good read and a good reference book for anyone who wants to help make a difference and make the world a better place. ...more
Catherine
Accessible and practical but definitely (as the author admits) more aimed at white men being allies to other white women in the tech industry. Though the principles apply to other situations, I was looking for something a bit more radical.
Wiebke Kuhn
This book has simple suggestions, compelling examples, and clear research references to help you become an ally for women and minoritized groups, especially in the IT world. An ally is someone who works on changing the system, not on saving the day for one individual (those are knights). Being an ally is hard work and potentially very uncomfortable. But it is also the right thing to do. Men in IT, I urge you to read this book.
Jody
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books everyone could benefit from and has real applications, including outside of the workplace in everyday life.
Emilie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This book is well equipped to give tangible solutions and tools for overcoming barriers such as bias, discrimination, racism and sexism in the workplace. These solutions are displayed as actions of allyship that should be practiced by those with privilege.

Though the book has its lens focused mostly on examples in the Tech sector and entirely in the United States, the ideas brought forth are explained in a way that should be understood by most and applicable to a broader range of fields, well be
Adrienne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an e-book copy for review by the publisher.

This book took a long time for me to start and then for me to read. As a white woman in academic science, I have often been and often am the only woman in the room. This makes me both an ally and someone who can benefit from allyship.

While this book focuses on tech, there are many parallels in fields that also have under-representation of women and minorities. While reading, I thought of several people that I could give copies of this bo
Jeannie Gainsburg
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s so refreshing to find a book that moves beyond simply understanding our privileges and offers real workplace actions that can create positive change. Making herself vulnerable with examples of her own missteps, Karen Catlin models the truth that we are all learners on a journey of understanding. Current and relevant, with actionable items at the end of each chapter, this book successfully guides us in how we can create more inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplaces.
Karen Cornwell
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Powerful Read – there’s a lot packed into Karen Catlin’s "Better Allies." This great book is overflowing with tips and actions to become a stronger ally. Karen draws from many sources to create a powerful set of tools to take you from observing to leading the change we need to see.

- Karen F Cornwell, author of You Can’t Fix What You Can’t See: An Eye-Opening Toolkit to Cultivate Gender Harmony in Business.
Anne Janzer
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the antidote to toxic corporate culture in any industry. Catlin’s practical, empathetic suggestions address systemic problems, unconscious bias, and the general obliviousness that make people feel unwelcome in the workplace.

Whether you want to better understand, support, or advocate for underrepresented groups, this book will help. Read it and share it.
Kathleen
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is very applicable to the corporate office, and the content is excellent. It explores privilege, opportunities to become a better ally (good title), and provides some simple, actionable steps to take in really applicable circumstances. It made me think and rethink, and will help me take action. I am recommending this book to everyone I work with.
A.J.
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for diversity and inclusion task at work. Full of technology-industry scenarios that may not apply to everyday oppressive experiences in the workplace. It could have been written a bit better with more coherent and concrete examples that applies to workplaces in general. It has some guidances and tools that can be used to pave ways towards a diverse and inclusive setting.
Alison
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what’s needed

It’s so refreshing to read a book on self improvement of any sort that gives you everything you need—brief but relevant anecdotes, concise but valuable explanations, and actionable steps for every discussed issue. Not overly verbose, not vague, not unclear—just right.
Jamie Marquis
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book for those of us seeking to be better allies!! The author provides great anecdotes for teaching and backs up her suggestions for improvement with scientific evidence. Each chapter ends with a short bullet point list of actionable items we can do to become better allies. Everyone should read this!
Galihmelon
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye opener and full of actions to become a better allies. I especially like the part where she wrote that it's a journey and everyone makes mistakes, but don't let those mistakes hold us back from pushing ourselves to be better allies.
Kristen
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this book to prepare for a D&I job interview. After working at a company with an extensive diversity program, I was familiar with most of the book’s content. However, this book would be great for a company developing Employee Resource Groups and diversity training. ...more
Erin
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great overview of how we talk, act, think, and observe others around us without realizing the biases we hold. I especially like the recaps of each chapter at the back of the book for quick reference about how to be a better ally and advocate for change.
Tori
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Grace Ascuasiati
I loved this book, it is full of ideas / actions to help you make your company more inclusive and it is also full of examples. Looking forward to implementing and sharing these initiatives.
Sandy Morley
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actionable, thoughtful, concise, no wasted language. I wish I'd read this book sooner... And I wish I knew it was included in a Kindle unlimited subscription!
Michelle Travis
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This positive and engaging book explains how to become a better ally for building diverse and inclusive workplaces - and it reveals why better allyship benefits us all.
Aliyah
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely actionable book for anyone who wants to learn the skills to help their workplace be more inclusive. Especially geared towards tech/STEM workplaces.
Scott Markowitz
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An easy way to get started on how to be the kind of person, in actions, that you are in your heart. great lists of actions/options too!
Cheryl B
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many people read this at my company, and attended Karen Catlin's lecture, and our company is already changing for the better because of it. I loved the chapters on language and on meetings.
Dan Mccurdy
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy yet impactful book. Should be a book for new employees, especially managers, to read that join a company that is committed to diversity and inclusion.
Zoey Violet
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical tips on how to be an ally to those who are more marginalized that ourselves.
Kelly Finley
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We need more of this. Helpful and practical strategies for being a better ally, person and colleague. Awesome!
Women at Silicon ...: Discussion Questions 5 1 Jun 20, 2020 11:16AM

• Belonging At Work: Everyday Actions You Can Take to Cultivate an Inclusive Organization
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Memo: What Women of Color Need to Know to Secure a Seat at the Table
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Face It
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • How to Be Successful without Hurting Men's Feelings: Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women
  • Diversity, Inc.: The Failed Promise of a Billion-Dollar Business
  • 97 Things Every Engineering Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Go for Beginners
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • Whistleblower: My Journey to Silicon Valley and Fight for Justice at Uber
  • How to Be an Inclusive Leader: Creating Trust, Cooperation, and Community Across Differences
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage
After spending twenty-five years building software products and serving as a vice president of engineering at Adobe, Karen Catlin witnessed a sharp decline in the number of women working in tech. Frustrated but galvanized, she knew it was time to switch gears.

Today, Karen is a leadership coach, keynote speaker, and author. In 2014, Karen started the Twitter handle @betterallies to share simple, a