Start by marking “Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces” as Want to Read:
Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces

Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces

Are you looking to build a workplace culture with a certain buzz about it? Where employees are thriving and engagement survey scores are through the roof. Where people from different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities are hired and set up for success—and they all want their friends to work there too, because it’s so awesome.

One sec
Published January 14th 2019 by Better Allies Press

To ask other readers questions about Better Allies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Allies

Start your review of Better Allies: Everyday Actions to Create Inclusive, Engaging Workplaces
J.K. Miller
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Unfortunately, diverse and inclusive workplaces are elusive. They are both difficult to find and hard to create.” Better Allies begins with this truthbomb.

The author pulls no punches: your workplace is NOT a meritocracy if the demographics state otherwise.

I’ve long considered myself an ally, advocate and champion, but it isn’t always clear what to DO. And I think every well-intentioned ally has experienced the feeling of trepidation: am I getting this all wrong? Or the moment of do
Poornima Vijayashanker
Diversity and inclusion may be hot buttons to stay clear of, especially with people scrutinizing practices and scoffing at the benefits. But you know they are important. So how can you approach the topics, and set your team and company up to see a change? Through Allyship.

Wondering what it is and how to be a better ally? Karen Catlin covers what it is and how to be a better ally through simple actions you can perform with your team and company daily.
Adrienne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an e-book copy for review by the publisher.

This book took a long time for me to start and then for me to read. As a white woman in academic science, I have often been and often am the only woman in the room. This makes me both an ally and someone who can benefit from allyship.

While this book focuses on tech, there are many parallels in fields that also have under-representation of women and minorities. While reading, I thought of several people that I could give copie
Wiebke Kuhn
This book has simple suggestions, compelling examples, and clear research references to help you become an ally for women and minoritized groups, especially in the IT world. An ally is someone who works on changing the system, not on saving the day for one individual (those are knights). Being an ally is hard work and potentially very uncomfortable. But it is also the right thing to do. Men in IT, I urge you to read this book.
Deborah
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical, actionable, meaningful suggestions. Probably a better read for the choir than for the skeptic, and the advice may be more intuitive for those in hierarchical businesses rather than flatter ones. Some suggestions are flatly impracticable for those in a power-down position, but I like the valuable insights into privilege and allyship.
Anne Janzer
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the antidote to toxic corporate culture in any industry. Catlin’s practical, empathetic suggestions address systemic problems, unconscious bias, and the general obliviousness that make people feel unwelcome in the workplace.

Whether you want to better understand, support, or advocate for underrepresented groups, this book will help. Read it and share it.
Grace Ascuasiati
I loved this book, it is full of ideas / actions to help you make your company more inclusive and it is also full of examples. Looking forward to implementing and sharing these initiatives.
Tori
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Sandy Morley
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actionable, thoughtful, concise, no wasted language. I wish I'd read this book sooner... And I wish I knew it was included in a Kindle unlimited subscription!
Jyotsna Reddy
Jun 09, 2019
Liz
Nov 11, 2019
David J
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2019
May 08, 2019
Alex Lash
Sep 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Belonging At Work: Everyday Actions You Can Take to Cultivate an Inclusive Organization
  • Inclusion: Diversity, the New Workplace & the Will to Change
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Tools and Weapons: The Promise and the Peril of the Digital Age
  • Emergency Skin
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do
  • Lagoon
  • On Grand Strategy
  • No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work
  • One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon
After spending twenty-five years building software products and serving as a vice president of engineering at Adobe, Karen Catlin witnessed a sharp decline in the number of women working in tech. Frustrated but galvanized, she knew it was time to switch gears.

Today, Karen is a leadership coach, keynote speaker, and author. In 2014, Karen started the Twitter handle @betterallies to share simple, a