Start by marking “Cry Pilot” as Want to Read:
Cry Pilot

Cry Pilot

(Cry Pilot #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A devastated Earth. Rogue bio-weapons. And a recruit with secrets. In this explosive new military science fiction novel, a tight-knit infantry squad is thrown into battle against a mysterious enemy that appears without warning and strikes without mercy.

There's only one way for a man with Maseo Kaytu's secrets to join the military: by volunteering for a suicide mission as a
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Cry Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Pilot

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sherwood Smith
Apr 22, 2019 added it
Shelves: sf
I started reading this while stuck in an auto shop waiting room that was not designed for the comfort of human beings, let me put it that way. Cars, maybe.

I mention that because I got sucked in so hard that when they called me two and a half hours later, I sat for an extra ten minutes because I had to find out how a certain scene ended. In spite of the blaring PA (which I didn't hear past about page three), the buzz and brrrr of pneumatic tools, and a plastic chair that had to have been designed
Dave
Cry Pilot is the first volume in a brand new new military science fiction series. Whether you are taking about training grunts for action in Southeast Asia, the deserts of Iraq, or in a future world, you always get the same sense of struggle to get through basic training, the camaraderie, and the triumphant battles. With a futuristic landscape like this, comparisons to Heinlein’s Starship Troopers and Card’s Ender’s Game certainly are not amiss. Nevertheless, the Cry Pilot universe is fresh, new ...more
Minx
May 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC of this novel courtesy of Ace in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. Will post full review closer to publication date of August 06, 2019.
Pat
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it

I received a free copy of "Cry Pilot" by Joel Dane through the "Good Reads First Reads Giveaway."

I avoid science fiction books in general and I am confused why I even tried for this one!

This novel is about a future "Military World" which includes many insightful and imaginative episodes. Although it's characters may confuse some readers, others will like this future world described by the author.

I personally find this a challenging book to read but this is more about me. I think the author is t
Matt
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book and is in the same vein as Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Scalzi's Old Man's War. While it is a space opera, it does deal with some very interesting topics. Most noteworthy it focuses on the role of preparing combat troops for battle and the balance between technological advancement and need for humanity. The overarching focus is repentance and what the role of repentance and impact of achieving it. If you liked sci fi, this is an excellent book that reads fast ...more
Torrey Grennan
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.

Good military scifi of the go through training and then fight variety. World building was excellent. A both believable and far fetched future earth. And the characters were not just one dimensional. Interested to see if there's a second book. Plenty of story left for there to be one, but also works if it's a stand alone.
Adriana
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I have THOUGHTS, OPINIONS, and EXCITED RAMBLINGS in mind for how much I was pulled in by this book, but they'd make no sense whatsoever if I tried to put them down now.
So, for now, I'll just say that this is a fantastic science fiction story that any fan of the genre should read.
Michael
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great story! Keeps your attention from beginning to end. Love the characters and their interactions. I highly recommend this book for a entertaining read. I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway.
Melissa Cheresnick