Start by marking “Shadow (Genetically Modified #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow (Genetically Modified #1)

Shadow

(Genetically Modified #1)

Electromagnetic pulses began a catastrophe that changed the world as we know it.

The next round of destruction brought monsters from hell that almost wiped out civilization.

The third wave sent a new breed of monster into the mix called Shadow Warriors capable of killing hellhounds.

Two years after the end of the devastating war, electromagnetic pulses start again, and this
Published February 12th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow

Start your review of Shadow (Genetically Modified #1)
Kathy Davie
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, apocalyptic
First in the Genetically Modified apocalyptic science fiction duology and revolving around Marinah. The couple focus is on Marinah Church and King.

This eARC was sent to me by BookSirens for an honest review.

My Take
It's a theme of betrayal by the politicians. A betrayal that encompasses so many areas. And I certainly can't blame King and his people for hiding all these secrets! Snicker, I did enjoy how Roberts portrayed the Shadow Warriors in their straightforward "thinking".

There is so much dist
Celestine
This book is a genre-blender. Paranormal, Post-apocalyptic, Dystopic, Romance, Action-Suspense and Sci-Fi all make an appearance. I'm a sucker for a good PA novel, but shifters, not so much. This was a little toned down and the slow burn helped curb any "fated mates" worries. In fact, the H/h are not at all enamored with one another at the beginning. Roberts crafts a complicated world. Twists are prevalent. Plus, I really began to like the characters. Marinah is a woman who finds herself, uncove ...more
Stephanie Villere
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Shadow, book one of the Genetically Modified series written by Holly S Roberts. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and so worried for Marinah the entire time. Have you ever felt overwhelmed and surrounded by wolves in sheep’s clothing?? What about barely contained beasts that ripple just below the surface of the huge men that are watching your every move? Trust me, you WILL NOT want to set this one down until the exciting cliffhanger ending! I’m gonna go sit in a corner and ...more
WOW!!! HIGHLY recommend this book!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I've been a fan of Holly S. Roberts books for quite some time and THIS book SHADOW is just another example and why I LOVE reading this authors books, regardless of the genre. Holly has a very special gift as an extremely talented author, with a brilliant and creative mind. Holly has the capability to bring out different emotions by the reader, which I find extraordinary. I found myself laughing so hard at specific points in the book, which is wonderful be
Mia Taylor
So good

This book was awesome. It played like a movie in my mind as I read it. Seeing the heroine come into her own and finding strength was so cool. I did want to cry when it ended so I will eagerly wait for the next installment.
Sharon
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadow is an exciting new addition to the world of shifters, a world with Hell Hounds and Wolves. Shadow Warriors are fighters - fierce and big. They helped humans fight the hell hounds when the world was destroyed by war. Shadow warriors are half man and half beast. Marinah works for the Federation, what they call the Government now, and she is sent to meet with King, the leader of the Shadow Warriors to see if they could work together to fight the Hell Hounds. She was to go alone to meet with ...more
Melissa
Amanda Vermaak
Fierce warrior

A brave young woman. A fierce warrior. Together they can save the world. An epic romance set in a fierce background of betrayal and war. She does not know what she is capable of. One man will show her. Their love story will capture you so deep. One of the best storytellers out there. Holly S Roberts has weaved her magic into a wicked story of love that conquers all. Thank you for this fantastic story
Wendy Higgs
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SHE IS BACK!!!!!! Holly writes awesome books but her Paranormal were the first I ever read! This is an apocalyptic story with a very strong ALPHA male meeting his match!!!!! This has romance and lots of laughs, at least for me! King and Marinah are very special and this book is well worth reading!!! Bring on Warrior!!!!!❤️💖💗
Melina Baca
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{May (will) contain spoilers!!}

Half-man, half-beast, King is the ultimate Alpha Male.

Leader of the Shadow Warriors, King's objective is to live in harmony among the human race. Already living peacefully with Cuban survivors of the Hellhound 'apocalypse'  two years after the war shows their restraint and ability to lead normal lives despite their shape-shifting abilities.

Clumsy, naive and subservient Marinah is sent to Cuba as a liaison between the Federation and Shadow Warriors - a mission sure
 Rosebud
Following in her father's footsteps, Marinah Church is appointed Secretary Of Defense by the new President though she is only twenty four and has little to no practical experience other than analytical stats and figure tracking experience.

Less than twenty four hours after her appointment, Marinah is sent to negotiate with the Shadow Warriors on behalf of the United States Federation. It is hoped that they will agree to combine forces to deal with the invasion of hellhounds, virtual indestructib
BJ
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
Cuba setting in apocalyptic world was great. The h is very tall and humble, arrives expecting to be killed by the H. But she pulled up her big girl panties, and prepared to do the right thing for her country before she dies. She's interesting, and the H was as intrigued as I was as she submitted to everything he threw at her. This book is the intro to a series about a depressing world. Too harsh for me, but the writing was great.
Pam James
In true Holly Roberts style, She makes you FEEL so many emotions. This book also got me so emotionally involved, I could not put it down. I fell asleep reading it, then finished it this morning. If you want to be taken to a new place, a new world, pick up this book and start reading. It is so well written and full of interesting new characters and new paranormal creatures you also will be emotionally involved! Loved It! From a True Fan... Pam James.
Bethany Titus
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking forward to this book so much and Ms. Wicked did not disappointment me.  This book kept me laughing from the first page, yelling at the characters, cheering them on, and even crying.  It was a huge roller coaster and I enjoyed it all.  I am already reading it again within a day of finishing it.  I cannot get enough of this book and story.  I need more in this series and hope to get more besides the first two books we have.  Pickup this book and keep reading my review to find out mor ...more
Christine
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**This book was provided to Nerd Girl Official in exchange for an honest review.**

Shadow: Duet; A Genetically Modified Novel, Book 1 by Holly S. Roberts is the beginning of a post-apocalyptic story. It has people, and monsters, and monsters that help people fight the other monsters. Confused? Don’t be.

I warn you, this is going to be a very short review. Short even for me, and I can be known for short reviews. I’m making it short for a couple of reasons; first, I have to get to the next book!

Ad
Linda
This is Book 1 in A Genetically Modified Novel series. The world has changed and there are now humans, Shadow Warriors and the bad Hellhounds. King is the Leader of the Shadow Warriors and Marinah has been asked by the Federation to go to Cuba, which is where the Shadow Warrior’s live now. They want them to come back and save the humans. Or do they? This is not your regular paranormal type of book. King has his idea of what Marinah is there for and Marinah has her idea of why she’s there. But do ...more
Roxanne Davies
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. Who doesn't love a hot headed sexy man who is also a ferocious beast who is protective of what's his.
Mirinah is a witty clumsy funny young woman who falls for the big bad King. The story was good and brought plenty of action and many laughs. Really enjoyed it and I can't wait to read Warrior.
Michelle
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great, fun, thought-provoking read!!! Mostly light, with a few themes to make you think about our world in a different way. A friend's daughter was the inspiration for the female lead, and I bought the first two books to support my friend. Now I'm hooked and will be reading much more by this author, I hope!
Charlotte
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, clunky writing that caused me to skim a majority of the book. Such a shame because the world building was almost interesting.
Nikki
First of all, let me start by saying that the abstract describing the book is more informative than the book itself. There is no explanation for the current state of the world other than something to do with electromagnetic pulses and monsters. So, the world-building is severely lacking. The story line actually mostly focuses on (and traverses between as narrators) main characters Marinah and King and their relationship to one another. The allure of an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic story takes a ...more
Ronda
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't generally like to give the 1st book in a new series a 5 star rating--oh, I will, but I don't like to--it sets the bar kinda high and that can lead to disappointment, distrust, and dismay. That said, I finished a beautiful spring day hike early just so I could get back and see what happened next.

Marinah (rhymes with Dinah) is not a very likely heroine. She's clumsy, lacks confidence, and is convinced she won't survive the plane trip the book begins with. (Spoiler alert--she survives the
Anita Hanekom
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was enamoured from the first word. Marinah's dry, self-depreciating humour is engaging and I couldn't help but fall in love with her although her rather fatalistic outlook, whilst understandable, is a little sad, all you want is for her to grow a backbone and fight. Luckily as the book progresses this starts to happen. I couldn't help but adore King and his Shadow Warriors. Their beasts were never far from the surface but you can understand why they hate humans so much. The humans took their h ...more
 BookwormMomma7
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadow: Duet

This Shadow Warrior story is amazing and so unique. I do not normally like post apocalyptic type stories but this one hooked from the start. The descriptions of the locations, people are realistic and it just add to an amazing plot. There are plenty of hints as to what is going to happen, but you read in to see how is going to come about.

I absolutely love the secondary characters and the way the flesh out the story. Che is one of my fave’s. Marinah and King have a complex relationsh
Sandy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
First let me state that I received an Advance Reader Copy, (ARC), but this in no way influences my review. I always leave an honest review. Also this author is new to me, and I hope it won't be my last.

Holy shiznet!! When I first started reading this story and hearing about the "hellhounds", I thought this was about the apocalypse. As I read so many things changed my mind, (obviously as the story unfolded too). I was a little upset with the fact that it's a sort of cliffhanger. But after Ms. Rob
Kristen Lewendon
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Nooooooo!!!!!! You can’t leave me there…" she wails into the night. This book has my favorite kind of geeky, socially awkward heroine. Marinah’s neither trained for, nor remotely prepared for the situation she’s suddenly thrust into. And King has no idea what to make of the creature that’s literally stumbled into his world. Imagine Resident Evil meets Wolverine. The story is a political thriller wrapped around what might turn into a romance, set in a post-apocalyptic world filled with supernatu ...more
Katharina Kieven
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels and novels and "Shadow" from Holly s. Roberts is one of the best I've read so far. It's slowburn in the romance department which makes it that much better. The characters have time to develop and are written in a way that you can emphasize (even though we are not overrun by hellhumans - errr hellhounds). The setting is described so that you can see it in front of your eyes. Thank you, Mz. Robert's, for a great read.

I would definitely recommend this book to thos
Regina Kiddy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awsome book, although I was bummed about the ending but I understand. I must say, I didn’t think I was going to like it. I continued to read to try to be fair. I was enjoyable surprised. This book is about a young woman named Marinah, who sets out to get the Shadow Warriors to help fight what she thought were hellhounds. She meets King who is the leader and decided that she was there to spy. Together the learn the meaning of survival and love.

I received an advance copy for free, and I am leaving
Mercy
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
They left her in a steaming room where she almost died in the first hour of meeting those shadow warriors that customarily do not harm women and children yet had no problem to just shove her inside without any worry. Even when one the guys wanted to save her another one was against it. I call this all bullshit, it's straight-up abuse and pure stupidity. I ended my patience at 25%.
I liked the premise but given that it's m/f, the shadow guy King is a dick, there is nothing that should pull me in.
Charlotte Pawson
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, booksirens
This is a great start to a new series with skill-fully written characters . Will King the shadow warrior trust Marinah sent by the humans to apologise for the past. All is not as she has been told the enemy they are both fighting the hellhounds are not exactly hounds. I await the next exciting book in this series.
I was given an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Mary
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-sirens
Wow, Just Wow.
I can't tell you how much I loved this book. It sucked me in from the very beginning. This is the first book that I have read from this author and I can't wait to see what happens in the 2nd part Warrior.
There's still a lot of the plot to see in Warrior, and Shadow has laid out some great world building, characters plots and sub plots. It's a real page turner. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

• The Night House
  • Dangerous Dreams: A Novella (Obsidian Flame, #1)
  • Transformation (From the Embers Book 2)
  • Emergence (From the Embers Book 1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Dangerous Liaisons (Obsidian Flame, #2)
  • Gut Deep (Torn Worlds Book 1)
  • To Touch A Dragon (Venys Needs Men)
  • To Desire a Dragon (Venys Needs Men)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (Raven Crawford, #1)
  • The Lady and the Orc (Orc Sworn, #1)
  • Savage One (Born Wild, #2)
  • The Whimsy Witch Who Wasn't (Tales of Xest, #1)
  • To Enchant a Dragon (Venys Needs Men)
  • Pirate Nemesis (Telepathic Space Pirates #1)
  • Forgotten Magic (Stolen Magic Book 1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Tasmanian SFG, Book II: Devils to Me (Tasmanian series 2)
Holly S. Roberts is the USA TODAY Best-Selling Author of the Hotter Than Hell, Club El Diablo and Completion Sports series. If a book doesn't have enticing romance, steamy sex, and hot alpha men she doesn't read or write it. She believes in love at first sight because she lives it with her husband/high school sweetheart.

Holly's passions outside of writing include working out, roller skating, and g

Genetically Modified (4 books)
  • Warrior (Genetically Modified #2)
  • Beast (Genetically Modified #3)
  • Queen (Genetically Modified #4)