Start by marking “Scavengers” as Want to Read:
Scavengers

Scavengers

Landfill has lived his whole life as a scavenger, running with wooflers, swimming with turtles and feasting on fresh gull. Old Babagoo has always looked after him, on one condition – follow his rules. Never come looking Outside. Never rise above the wall. But despite the dangers, Landfill longs to see Outside. And some rules are made to be broken.
Published March 7th 2019 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Scavengers, please sign up.
Darren Simpson Hello! Scavengers is aimed at children aged 11+. I hope that helps. :-)

Start your review of Scavengers
A.M.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have so much love for this debut by the super talented Darren Simpson. Landfill is semi-feral, living with adult Scavenger Babagoo, cut off from the rest of society on the edge of a rubbish tip with an assortment of beautifully characterised animals. Landfill becomes curious - what is beyond the wall? What is the key Babagoo keeps around his neck, and why is he so adamant Landfill should not venture Outside? This is a thought provoking coming of age story with a slightly gritty edge and I can’ ...more
Gareth Howells
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-fantasy
Nicely written, new age themed story about two characters living an alternative lifestyle. The boy who anchors the book is following a whole range of rules laid down by his guardian. Their lives change when some of the rules lead the boy to wonder what the truth is about their situation.
The characterisation is good and the plot rattles along nicely.
Genuinely wanted to know how it would finish and how the characters would conclude their stories.
Mr.Kitap
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Slump a girmek üzereyken bu kitaptan bir kaç sayfa okuyayım dedim ve sonra bir baktım kitapta bayağı bir ilerlemişim. Yani anlayacağınız kitabın gerçekten...
Görsel tasarımı görmek ve yorumun devamı için
Lily
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sude Özer
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~Çöpçüler, Darren Simpson~

🏚️Çöpçüler, beklentimin çok farklı bir yönde olduğu ama bambaşka bir şeyle karşılaştığım yine de bundan mutlu olduğum bir kitap oldu. Kitabın arkasında kurallar, distopya falan gibi şeyler yazınca kitabın konusu hakkında haliyle beklentim biraz daha distopikti ama durum öyle değil, aslında durumun nasıl olduğunu okursanız ancak görebilirsiniz. İncelememde de çok bir şeyden bahsetmek istemiyorum çünkü bence okuyarak anlamalı, öğrenmelisiniz. Herkesin farklı yorunlayabile
Lilyfae
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly moving modern day twisted fairy tale in some ways
A poetic blend of Plato’s The Allegory of the Cave meets M Night Shyamalan’s The Village with a dash of I Am Legend.

For children the innocence and wonder of Landfill’s world will resonate an air of adventure and wild abandon as he is living in a deprived wild setting near a dump with a lot of rules to guarantee his survival from the horrors outside the wall and as the facade slowly is tarnished some children may be surprised by the dev
Penny
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story kept me guessing all the way through. The author gave you just enough information for you to paint a picture in your head but let you make your own assumptions about just what was going on.

Landfill is a feral child living in Hinterland, which I imagined to be a walled off area of a city, with an older man named Babagoo. There is all sorts of discussion which could be had around the relationship between these two characters and what they are doing in Hinterland. Is Babagoo a caring ad
Rutuja Ramteke
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
✨Scavengers By Darren Simpson✨
✨When I started it, I thought it's a pure children's book but then as the book proceeds it gives more lessons which make
Tris The Book Whisperer
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite reads of 2019. It is a exceptional book and deserves to win awards, if not be made into a film!

The story follows the story of Landfill, a boy who lives in a walled piece of wasteland adjacent to a rubbish dump. Raised by an old man called Bubagoo, he comes to question everything that his guardian has told him.
As an adult reading the book, it raises a mirror to the human race and makes us look at our throw away society, and the greed and disconnection that are increasingly pr
Nicole
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this dystopian Stig of the Dump premise I was hooked by the child Landfill's interesting name & surroundings, especially as the animals around him are named after authors such as Orwell, Woolf & Vonnegut. How would he know to name them such? Why does he live in what seems to be a circular castle ruin?
The answer comes in the older man who seems to have saved him from a type of plague the Outsiders have.
How far into the future is the book set?
How many things do you assume by the way they int
Christina Reid
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel immerses you in the world of Landfill, a boy who has grown up knowing only that 'Outside' is dangerous and he must follow Babagoo's rules to keep safe. The world he lives in is a mixture of wonder and fear as he grows up closely observing nature and with animals as his friends, but always with the threat of being found by one of the spy drones that flies overhead. The dystopian vision of the world outside and the linguistic quirks of the language Landfill and Babagoo speak reminded me ...more
David Barker
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rubbish has never been this good

Darren Simpson has created a unique setting for Landfill and Babagoo's adventures and trials. It's unsettling at first and the reader is left to figure what everything means as you go along. The dialogue is full of treats such as wooflers, amnals and grubbins, and the relationship between the two main characters is full of light and shade. The plot dips a little as we settle into the book, but the second half is brilliant. A new character is introduced who turns L
Georgina
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this one to my ten-year-old daughter, and it was great to see her experiencing the "everything is not as it seems" twists that an adult can pick up easily, for the first time.

Landfill and Babagoo are scavengers, living in a walled kingdom while the outside world rots. Babagoo has made a long list of rules for Landfill to follow, especially while Babagoo is away catching seagulls for them to eat in the world beyond the walls.

But slowly, despite the risk of discovery by the diseased people
Stephen
Landfill has lived his whole life in the sanctuary of Hinterland, always wary of the dangers that lurk beyond the wall. His protector is an old scavenger called Babagoo, and his friends are the animals of Hinterland. Yet can they remain hidden away from the evil outside forever?

Written in the style of a post apocalyptic story, the major twist in this tale was not unexpected by me. Nevertheless it had shades of the Jungle Book about it and was a nice enough tale. Meant for mid grade children, thi
Beth
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2021
I’m not actually sure how I feel about this book! It was all very intriguing at first, and I enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on, but as soon as it became clearer it was very unsettling. The world-building of Hinterland and the surrounding area was brilliant, I could really picture it in my mind, and the character development of Landfill and Babagoo also helped me “see” them. I just wish it hadn’t ended so abruptly and we saw more of the after.
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Darren Simpson’s debut dystopian novel for children aged 11+ is a clever, sophisticated character piece with many layers to it that advanced readers and adults will equally get a great deal from, not least because it constantly makes you question your assumptions. This is one of those books that deserves to be on book award shortlists and I look forward to reading Simpson’s next novel.
James Haddell
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Lord of the Flies-esque depiction of the human paradox. Darren Simpson places a heartbreakingly innocent hero in a walled garden of flowers and industrial decay. The virtue of the world within and without is ambiguous to the end, in a powerful portrayal our dual nature to love and hate.
Clare Mansell
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with such beautiful writing and vivid characters and landscapes. I tore through it and was sad to leave the world of Hinterland behind when I finished. Can't wait to read whatever Darren Simpson does next. ...more
John Quirk
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read. A story for our times, and about our times. Continually torn between the outcomes I wanted for Landfill, and equally torn about my feelings towards Babagoo. Beautifully balanced to keep you turning those pages as the Outsiders draw ever closer.
Rebecca
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fab book for questioning what we believe in and examining what is important. Would completely recommend for Y6/7/8 and may read it to my class this term.
Tracy Lowe
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is brilliant! The characters, their environment and their wonderful language are flawless in their detail. Heartbreaking and unsettling at times, but told with sensitivity and warmth. Original, thought-provoking, five star story-telling.
emily 🌝
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Decent book, but personally don’t think the plot was going anywhere. Tried to work out what country it was in but couldn’t. Probably a bit young for a teen, can’t be everyone’s favourite.
ÖyküS.
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A children book but it's written with great talent. For adults it can be a easy-to-read book as well, I think readers of all ages will love this book dearly.

O kadar güzel ve underrated bir kitap ki. Her yaştan okura hitap edebiliyor. Çocuklar için sorular da var arkasında. Sınıf çalışması için kullanılabilir.
Valerie Benton

• The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Star Outside My Window
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Crater Lake
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Shark Caller
  • Nothing Ever Happens Here
  • Lark
  • High-rise Mystery
  • Can You See Me?
  • Darkwhispers: A Brightstorm Adventure
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
Darren Simpson writes vivid, unruly fiction for older children. His debut novel Scavengers was a Guardian Best Book of 2019, and was selected for 2019's national Summer Reading Challenge. He also provided the story for The Dust on the Moth, a crowdfunded multimedia novel for adults. His next novel for children will be published by Usborne in summer 2021.

Darren lives with his wife and two sons in N