Start by marking “An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody” as Want to Read:
An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

COLD MOUNTAIN MEETS THE COLOR PURPLE.

A STORY OF LOVE AND SURVIVAL AMIDST AN ERA OF SUFFERING AND HATE.

Shay is an orphan. A young Asian boy with no link to his past – except for a mysterious jade amulet – and no idea what fate has in store for his future. Not until an American merchant captain raises him to be a man, who becomes a valiant Union Army scout during the height
Published (first published November 2017)

To ask other readers questions about An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

Valerie
A Different Kind Of Love Story

A child born of two different Asian cultures is orphaned and rescued by a sea captain. Meanwhile a beautiful well loved black child is enslaved. Both are brought to the United States and meet during the backdrop of the Civil War, and though everything strive to love each other. I couldn’t put this book down and read it through in one sitting!
Marie Allred
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm in awe of the author's beautiful style. The story is rock solid, an enchanting tale of love, loss and light in tragic times. The way the characters' stories intertwine is elegant and graceful and their development is very well-done. Though I'm no expert, the historical aspects seemed to me to be flawless and the plot was gripping the entire way through. For me there was never a dull moment, and the powerful prose truly remained so throughout the novel, supporting a beautiful story and a ...more
james galvin
Story setting good read. History factual and fictional.

Story was good balanced historical & fictional. A good book.

Characters developed with emotional description male & female with generational mix well done.

Jessica Smith
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical romance that features a boy born of two cultures, chinese and japanese, after losing both of his parents he is rescued by a sea captain and brought back to the U.S. Then there is a young girl, enslaved after having her father murdered and brought to the U.S. as well. With the civil war taking place these two are brought together, which gives way to the perfect title of an "uncommon" pairing, an uncommon love story.

I will say I enjoy this book immensely, it drew me in from t
Nora Michel
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows an Asian boy and an African slave, both taken away from their homelands and transported to Civil War era America. The two live vastly different lives, but their circumstances lead to their meeting and they fall in love. This book delves into issues such as slavery, racism, sexual assault, faith, and duty to country. It entwines complex characters with heartfelt emotion.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was enthralling and captivating. The characters were well developed and the au
Jessica Triangle
Really enjoyed this novel. A perfect mix of history and a narrative that drives the reader forward. Issues dealt with in the novel are difficult to read but are handled with sensitivity by the author. I've never read a novel like this one and I am so glad that I did. Well worth the read.
michael j licwinko
Powerful story

Strong compelling characters kept me enthralled the whole way through this book. I wanted Shay and Victoria to meet sooner, but that's because they were my favorite characters.
Tracy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A review from a person not a fan of historical fiction.

This comprehensive and singularly informative book reads more like a novel than historical fiction. (For me that's a great thing.) The book is written from a multiple character perspective told by a narrator. This transition from character story to character story serves the book well as the characters act as complements to each other and serve the books overall theme seamlessly. As mentioned the book is told through the eyes of a narrator
Amy Driver
Jan 21, 2019
Frieda
added it
Jan 22, 2019
Strongly influenced by the works of Homer, Hemingway, Tolkien, Twain, Emerson, Alice Walker, and Whitman, C.J. Heigelmann fluently expresses his work through a unique style in the classic form of innocence and eloquence, balanced by raw truth and grit without pretension.

“Life is a school. Have fun! Enjoy! But don't forget to learn!” 4 likes