Start by marking “An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody” as Want to Read:
An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

Cold Mountain meets The Color Purple.

An epic American Civil War literary saga that explores the intimate relationships between folk of diverse cultures during an era of suffering and hate; spanning cultures, continents, and generations.

Shay is an orphan. A young Asian boy with no link to his past – except for a mysterious jade amulet – and no idea what fate has in store fo
2nd Edition Revised, 367 pages
Published (first published November 2017)

To ask other readers questions about An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody

Start your review of An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody
Valerie
A Different Kind Of Love Story

A child born of two different Asian cultures is orphaned and rescued by a sea captain. Meanwhile a beautiful well loved black child is enslaved. Both are brought to the United States and meet during the backdrop of the Civil War, and though everything strive to love each other. I couldn’t put this book down and read it through in one sitting!
Joan Bell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm in awe of the author's beautiful style. The story is rock solid, an enchanting tale of love, loss and light in tragic times. The way the characters' stories intertwine is elegant and graceful and their development is very well-done. Though I'm no expert, the historical aspects seemed to me to be flawless and the plot was gripping the entire way through. For me there was never a dull moment, and the powerful prose truly remained so throughout the novel, supporting a beautiful story and a ...more
james galvin
Story setting good read. History factual and fictional.

Story was good balanced historical & fictional. A good book.

Characters developed with emotional description male & female with generational mix well done.

Jessica Smith
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical romance that features a boy born of two cultures, chinese and japanese, after losing both of his parents he is rescued by a sea captain and brought back to the U.S. Then there is a young girl, enslaved after having her father murdered and brought to the U.S. as well. With the civil war taking place these two are brought together, which gives way to the perfect title of an "uncommon" pairing, an uncommon love story.

I will say I enjoy this book immensely, it drew me in from t
Nora Michel
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows an Asian boy and an African slave, both taken away from their homelands and transported to Civil War era America. The two live vastly different lives, but their circumstances lead to their meeting and they fall in love. This book delves into issues such as slavery, racism, sexual assault, faith, and duty to country. It entwines complex characters with heartfelt emotion.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was enthralling and captivating. The characters were well developed and the au
Barbara Michaels
Very interesting

This book was at first confusing but as it went along and the characters developed, it was fascinating! Not the typical Civil War historical fiction, but a well woven tale of love and loss and love found again. I heartedly recommend this book!
Aurora
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this novel

Loved this novel. So we'll written. I could see each and feel each person . Just read it and let yourself go.
Barb
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the civil war, and slavery, and how a merchant captain adopts an Asian boy, Shay. And also about Victoria, who is sold to an Alabama plantation. The author at the end says most of this is true. Great book.
Brenda L Brandon
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book... recommend it.
J.M. Triangle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this novel. A perfect mix of history and a narrative that drives the reader forward. Issues dealt with in the novel are difficult to read but are handled with sensitivity by the author. I've never read a novel like this one and I am so glad that I did. Well worth the read.
Frankie
Awesome book!
Bonnye Reed
Sep 21, 2020 is currently reading it
BookSIRENS
review by Dec 18
michael j licwinko
Powerful story

Strong compelling characters kept me enthralled the whole way through this book. I wanted Shay and Victoria to meet sooner, but that's because they were my favorite characters.
Gwen A.
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really found this book to have a very apt title. Most of the protagonists have similar losses and difficulties throughout their lives. The interfacing of these storylines create a rich and melodic music. Beautifully written characters and stories within stories, within stories!
Shirley McAllister
Love knows no color

An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody was very well written, it was a page turner and kept me reading until the end. It is a very diverse book covering topics such as slavery, prejudice, loyalty to country, Love, Romance, as well as cruelty, rape amid a background of Africa, China and the Civil War in America. These are artfully intertwined with each other to offer a heartwarming, sometimes heartbreaking story.

The first third of the book starts with two stories. The story of an orphan "Sh
Tracy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A review from a person not a fan of historical fiction.

This comprehensive and singularly informative book reads more like a novel than historical fiction. (For me that's a great thing.) The book is written from a multiple character perspective told by a narrator. This transition from character story to character story serves the book well as the characters act as complements to each other and serve the books overall theme seamlessly. As mentioned the book is told through the eyes of a narrator
Rachel Emrick
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it

I really liked that the characters in this story were inspired by actual people. The author's note has some interesting information about the "uncommon folk" found in the story, and their real-life counterparts. The beginning of the novel really drew me in, but I found the characters harder to connect with by the second half.
Amy Driver
Jun 22, 2020
Dema Blood
Jun 17, 2020

• I Know What You Did
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • The Paris Hours
  • The English Wife
  • Mahoney: A Novel
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • My Darkest Prayer
  • Unleashed: this summer's must-read crime thriller
  • Against Doctor's Orders
  • Her Last Promise
  • The I.F. Zones
  • A Surgeon’s Knot
C.J. Heigelmann is an emerging author of Contemporary and Historical Fiction who has published two novels, An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody, and Crooked Fences. C.J. learned to negotiate the changing fabric of race relations within the United States while experiencing different nuances of racial interconnection and social class ideologies from California to Connecticut, the Deep South, and during militar ...more