Start by marking “Den rødhårede kvinde” as Want to Read:
Den rødhårede kvinde

Den rødhårede kvinde

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  11,710 ratings  ·  1,271 reviews
Den unge apotekersøn og forfatterspire Cem har fået et sommerferiejob uden for Istanbul. Han skal gå til hånde hos en brøndgraver. Som brønden bliver dybere, vokser et særligt venskab frem mellem mester og lærling. Cems far, som var politisk aktiv på venstrefløjen, har forladt familien, og Cem finder en faderfigur i brøndgraveren. Men en smuk rødhåret kvinde, der er på tur ...more
ebook
Published January 28th 2019 by Gyldendal (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Den rødhårede kvinde, please sign up.
Jane "a fictional inquiry into the literary foundations of civilizations, comparing two fundamental myths of the West and the East respectively: Sophocles'…more"a fictional inquiry into the literary foundations of civilizations, comparing two fundamental myths of the West and the East respectively: Sophocles's Oedipus Rex (a story of patricide) and Ferdowsi's tale of Rostam and Sohrab (a story of filicide)."--from the GR blurb.(less)

·  11,710 ratings  ·  1,271 reviews

Start your review of Den rødhårede kvinde
Elyse  Walters
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DIG and RUN!!!!!! .......
I became transfixed by thoughts, questions, opinions, and judgments about Cem --- taking the train back home to Istanbul when he did... at the end of Part I of this story.

There are three parts to this novel. Each are different-- related & connected, but different. The novel comes together brilliantly at the end..... but this is one twisted story!!!! My goodness!

A familiar lovelorn pursuit, took me back to "The Museum of Innocence". Similar to "The Museum of Innocenc
Esil
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.

In the late 1980s, I travelled to Turkey with my soon to be husband. We had just finished university, had little money and were in search of adventure. It was certainly an interesting trip and we have often talked about going back to Turkey, but I am also aware that traveling in a country when you don't know the language and have no real means of getting to know people isn't really a great way to get to know a country.

This was my first book by Orhan Pamuk. But I feel that the two da
Hugh
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult one to assess as a whole. It is shorter than most of Pamuk's novels and mostly written in quite simple language. It is partly a story of modern Turkey and its politics, partly a study of father-son relationships and partly a retelling of Oedipus and the Persian legend Rostam and Sohrab. The story falls into three parts, each of which is quite distinct.

The first part is both the simplest and the easiest to like. The narrator Cem tells of a job he took after his father, who was
Jibran
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turkish, fiction, nobel
Life follows myth.

So it does.

The story draws upon two ancient myths. Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex, in which the son kills the father (unknowingly) and Ferdawsi’s Rustam and Sohrab taken from The Persian Book of Kings Shahnameh, which is a reversal of Oedipus Rex in that it is the father who kills the son (again, unknowingly) and the string of events that lead to both deaths and the consequences the murderers face for their sui generis crimes. The two contradictory yet complementing myths become the pa
Paul Fulcher
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
As a fatherless son, so a sonless father will be embraced by none.
from Ferdowski's Shahnameh (and the epigraph to this novel)

I had wanted to be a writer. But after the events I am about to describe, I studied engineer in geology and became a building contractor. Even So, readers shouldn't conclude from my telling the story now that it is over, that I've put it all behind me. The more I remember, the deeper I fall into it. Perhaps you, too, will follow, lured by the enigma of father and sons.

The
Resh (The Book Satchel)
This was a nice read. Would not recommend if you are new to Pamuk.

What to expect?
- lots of literary symbolisms
- frequent comparisons between Greek epic + Firdowsi's story of Rostam and Sohrab + life of protagonist

What did not seem right?
-Pamuk starts explaining. Almost as if he is scared the reader will not be able to read between the lines
-comparison between the protagonist's life and the epics seemed repetitive and lumpy.
-less lyrical than usual Pamuk novels

For more - http://www.thebooksatche
Yelda Basar Moers
​I'm a huge fan of the soulful and brilliant Turkish Nobel Prize winning novelist Orhan Pamuk. So when I heard he had a new release (published in the U.S. last month), I got my hands on it as soon as possible.

I loved The Red-Haired Woman, an alluring tale of a teenager who is hired as the apprentice of a master welldigger to find water on a barren plain on the outskirts of Istanbul. During his time on the job, he meets a beautiful red-haired woman. His affair with her transforms him in unimagina
Jennifer Blankfein
Follow my blog Book Nation by Jen

for all reviews and recommendations.

I really enjoyed this short but dense book, The Red-Haired Woman written by Turkish Nobel Prize winning author Orhan Pamuk. In the 1980s, a teenage, fatherless boy is an apprentice to Master Mahmut, a well digger. They dig for water in the hot sun, and tell stories to pass the time. They develop a tight relationship and grow to rely on each other as co-workers and as father and son. On
From BBC Radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
The Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk explores the complex layers of father-son relationships through the apparently simple story of a young man apprenticed to a welldigger on the outskirts of Istanbul.

As the story of the well digging proceeds, he brings together eastern and western myths and legends to look at what is really meant by authority and rebellion. Can anyone ever escape their fate?

With this vivid image of digging towards the centre of the earth at the hear
Mostafa Mostafa
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder i am a Pamuk fan!
This book was quite different, style wise and plot, from his previous works!
Pamuk illustrates in his book the unsettling relationship between father and son!
Growing up fatherless, Cem becomes a well digger’s apprentice who takes the role as his father!
The book is divided into three parts; two of which narrated by Cem himself at 16 and 30s and the third by the red haird woman!
Cem’s character development can be sensed and is felt in the first two parts; the voice is more
Cynthia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first third of Re-Haired Woman it barely held my interest. Fortunately Pamuk has such a stellar reputation that I forced myself to keep reading. The story begins on a sleepy mountaintop in a town outside Istanbul, Turkey where a well digger and his two teenage charges tell one another morality stories and occasionally wander down the mountain and into the small town. Ongoren boasts a military outpost some restaurants and coffee houses and a band of actors who are there for a limited run. ...more
Salva
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
4.75!
If it weren't for the last chapter, it would have been a very strong, heavy 5 stars! The last chapter mildly ruined the magic.
Yet, this is a unique tail, a staggering art, a mixture of western and eastern mythologies, past and present, myth and reality! Brilliantly portraying the appeal of taking myth so seriously that it is brought about in your life. Disclosing the pleasure of enduring agonizing pain by yourself, and actually enjoying not sharing it with anyone.
The author is amazingly aw
Khanim Garayeva
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that has the traces of Author's style as a rule. A brief information about the early days of Istanbul and a very mastered way of merging it with the legend about Rustam and Sohrab was very awesome. The end was really shocking. Controversy to Elif Shafak's "Havva' 3 daughters" this book was not written in the business purposes and makes you enjoy the storyline. Like it very much.
Felek
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
Belinda
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter garbage. A tedious tale tediously told. Repetitive and boring. The author thinks he has something profound to say about father-son relationships. He doesn't. And he also mistakenly believes that his constant recourse to the Oedipus myth will prove that he's erudite. It doesn't. Here are a couple of lines to prove my point: 'I let out each piercing wail, hoping for some release from the anguish' and 'The things you hear in old myths and folktales always end up happening in real life.' Not u ...more
pegah
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Dear Mr. Pamuk, sorry to rate this one only 2 stars! I appreciate the philosophy that you brought to your book specially the part which is related to my country (Ferdowsi's Rostam & Sohrab myth) but your story is not believable enough insomuch random meetings happen in it.

Yuko Shimizu
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite film director is Wong Ka-Wai. I often say if Pamuk or Haruki Murakami were to be made into films, they have to be directed by Wong. Not that their books are similar, but all the emotions, sadness and melancholy of the characters, often depicted in minute but memorable scenes (rather than going on and on about actual emotions)... All three of them do this the best.
Now to think about it, Murakami is known for often using a well as symbolism. And This book is also about a well. (My Nam
Finja
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Beautifully written. Great story, touch of philosophy within the storyline . Loved the Turkish setting and time components.
Miriam Cihodariu
This story explored the complicated and difficult relations between fathers and sons, with multiple layers. I like the author's fascination with Western (Oedipus) and Eastern (Rustem) myths regarding colossally tragic stories of patricide or filicide, and how these stories reverberate and foreshadow the events in the book.

You can read in the book many things between the lines, from toxic masculinity (the fragility the Red Haired Woman is talking about) to tensions between conservatize and modern
Jim Angstadt
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Red-Haired Woman
Orhan Pamuk

Oedipus Rex, the story by Sophocles that was first performed about 429 BC (thanks wikipedia) has a central and continuing influence on this novel. The idea of a son killing his father and then marrying his mother has a recurring appearance, with major variations, in Red-Haired Woman.

This story is set west of Istanbul, Turkey, sometime after WWII.

Master Mahmut is the well-digger. Cem is the well-digger's assistant and central character. The Red-Haired Woman was an a
Hafizz Nasri
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
“If the boy wants to work hard and make his own money, don’t knock the wind out of his sails."

A life of Cem through his teenage years to adulthood. A story of epic, myth and fantasy of books, a well-digger apprentice, an affair and obsession. A bit psychological, a haunted past and survival.

"According to my father, the greatest happiness in life was to marry the girl you’d spent your youth reading books with in the passionate pursuit of a shared ideal."

Love Pamuk's style of writing cause his plo
Catherine Corman
For a long time, I would have nothing to do with anyone. I withdrew, distancing myself from the world. The world was beautiful, and I wanted my inner world to be beautiful, too.

-Orhan Pamuk, The Red-Haired Woman
Bettie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bbc radio listeners
Recommended to Bettie by: Laura
BABT

Description: On the outskirts of a town thirty miles from Istanbul, a master well-digger and his young apprentice are hired to find water on a barren plain. As they struggle in the summer heat, excavating without luck metre by metre, the two will develop a filial bond neither has known before--not the poor middle-aged bachelor nor the middle-class boy whose father disappeared after being arrested for politically subversive activities. The pair will com
Gumble's Yard
For an insightful review of this book including: the themes underlying it; its connection to classical literature (including but not restricted to the legends of Oedipus and of Rostam and Sohrab); its links to Pamuk’s existing canon – a canon which deservedly won him the Nobel prize; the way in which Pamuk as ever explores the fissures in Turkish society; a hint as to the twists in the latter part of this book, I can only recommend Paul’s review here

Howeve
Mindy
I just made my challenge with this book. Yay! I was in the mood for something different than I usually read when I picked this one up. I was attracted by the cover and then the blurb sealed the deal. This book might mean more to father's and sons but no matter it will make you think. I really enjoyed being transported to Istanbul and a culture other than my own. A wonderful author that I will look to read more of in the future.

Happy New Year!
Kyriakos Sorokkou

Δείτε την κριτική στα Ελληνικά στις βιβλιοαλχημείες

I read my first Pamuk in the spring of 2015. The book was My Name Is Red.
It was one of the first books I read after I decided to read more diversely, and internationally.

I bought it because I hadn't read a book from Turkey before, and the plot was intriguing. The narrator of the first chapter is a corpse. In one of the following chapters the colour Red itself is the narrator.
Many said that this is an Islamic version of Umberto Eco's The Name of
Calzean
The books starts with three quotes. Nietzsche on the myth of Oedipus, Sophocles’s play Oedipus Rex, then one from Shahnameh which a kind of mirror of Oedipus Rex in which a father kills his son. Not surprising then that this short book (short for Pamuk) is about father-son relationships. It's also about modern Turkey's battle between Westernisation and tradition. Its a cleverly told story.
The first Part is a simple tale of a young 16 year old who spends a month digging a well with a master well-
MihaElla
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book! A valuable spending of time reading it. Strongly recommended even for re-reading.
Victor
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In case you were wondering what this book is about, I'll tell you: it's about the story of Oedip and the story of Rostan and Shorab. I discovered that by reading the careful placed clues around the novel, amounting to 200, about one for each page.

Besides that it's not much: your Turkish variety of a soap opera that wants to take itself serious by employing a fairy tale tone of sorts that falls flat and a recount of the explosive growth of a city (I'll let you take a wild guess) that comes close
Tien
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of this author really but I was gifted this book and felt somewhat compelled to read it. The description sounded, to me, that it could be interesting. I really shouldn't expect any sort of thriller or anything like that but somehow, retrospectively, I think that's what I did.

The language wasn't hard to read so I think that's kudos to the translator. The beginning (about 1/3) was interesting enough but then it just went down and down. The protagonist got to be obsessed over a couple

• Kürk Mantolu Madonna
  • İstanbul Hatırası
  • Anayurt Oteli
  • Amok Koşucusu
  • Bilinmeyen Bir Kadının Mektubu
Orhan Pamuk was born in Istanbul in 1952 and grew up in a large family similar to those which he describes in his novels Cevdet Bey and His Sons and The Black Book, in the wealthy westernised district of Nisantasi. As he writes in his autobiographical book Istanbul, from his childhood until the age of 22 he devoted himself largely to painting and dreamed of becoming an artist. After graduating fro ...more