Start by marking “The Watchers” as Want to Read:
The Watchers

The Watchers (Abby Sherman #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  577 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Just below the surface lives a family tree - known as the Watchers. For 2000 years they've seen beyond the veil separating this world from the next, passing on their gift through a lineage mostly overlooked. But now their survival hangs by a thread. Their fate lies in the hands of a woman, her would-be killer, and a mystery they must solve.
Published March 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Watchers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watchers

Tyora Moody
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
thewatchers The Watchers
by Mark Andrew Olsen

Abby Sherman wakes up to an assassin in her bedroom. While Abby’s long time housekeeper and friend loses her life, Abby’s life hangs in balance as doctors scurry to find out how to cure Abby from whatever chemicals were injected into her body. After she decides to share an incredible dream on her MyCorner page, Abby becomes an instant Web celebrity from her hospital room. Abby’s rise to fame captures the attention of a popular talk show host. An unknow
Ruth
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Abby Sherman would be just your average twentysomething if not for her dreams - intense, vivid experiences that catapult her into ancient times, seeing and feeling life through another's eyes. When she posts her dream journal on the web, begging for any insight and understanding others might be able to offer mysterious dreams, she unwittingly sets a dangerous chain of events in motion. Abby's plea for help puts her in the crosshairs of an ancient organization that marks her for death in order to ...more
Lilly W.
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing I finished it a long time ago and never got around to writing this report until now. I love this book so much because it is first about a normal ordinary girl blonde from California who has a major love for God and knows she can't live without him. Her life takes a dramatic turn on a night when a man sneaks into her room and reads a file on her Facebook about a dream she had about a baby that she knew was baby Jesus and she was an old lady and when the lady that was holdin ...more
Neil
I thoroughly enjoyed this book more than I thought I would! It was an amazing book. It moved at a good pace, and it held my interest throughout the entire book. It was literally a page-turner for me as I enjoyed the story. I also liked the author's concept of 'spiritual lineage' in the book. We are so focused on our biological heritage, yet never think about our spiritual heritage.

It has spiritual warfare, lives being saved, God moving in miraculous ways, women having incredible visions, assassi
Adrienna
Although Abby's dream explained on her blog had lost me; others had sent inquiries to her blog that they are having similar dreams. She is a seer, some would say "sight" to see in the spiritual realm, and while on her deathbed her father reveals the mysterious death of her mother who also had the gift of sight. This is when the book started to catch my interest as well as the opening chapter of the assassin who didn't finish Abby off.

(I also read the author note to see that it will cover spirit
Gabrielle
Oct 15, 2007 is currently reading it
Shelves: gnostic, fiction
Bizarre experience with this. I read (as you can gather) numerous books at one time. One of the ones I'm currently reading is "The Expected One". The similarities so far.. well, it's just uncanny, and I had no idea when I picked up this book: the library was closing and I just grabbed it off the shelf because it looked interesting; I didn't know what it was about. The story in both books starts with female protagonists who have visions of biblical Jerusalem; but not just a vision - it's like the ...more
Sean Durity
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is like an amped up early Peretti novel about spiritual warfare. The book starts with a gripping (though uncomfortable) scene, and the plot keeps moving throughout.

Olsen does have a way with descriptions; some sentences are worth two or three reads to enjoy their images and even how they "sound."

My main complaints: the young, main character often seems too old, wise, and experienced to be believable. The potential romance with a seemingly older man didn't address the age gap and seemed less
Lorrie
Feb 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
I said I read this book, but that is not entirely true. I did not finish the book. At first, I thought it was intriguing. But after reading further, I found it to be bothersome. This cultish group of so-called believers were banded together supernaturally through spiritual sightings and visions, which sounds plausible in premise. However, it it was just too weird and didn't make sense from a Godly perspective. This special group or race of people was given this gifting and were called, it seemed ...more
Linda
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Throughout History, there have always been those who possessed the SIGHT: the ability to see beyond the veil of the natural world and discern the spiritual Beings who surround us, protect us, and those on the other side who try to destroy us.

Abby Sherman has just discovered that she has this ability. And when she describes her visions and dreams on her MyCorner blog, the response is beyond anything she ever anticipated ...

This book, first in the series, vividly describes the ongoing but mostly u
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
this was a good book. i liked it and really i have nothing bad to say about it. the ending was a bit of a let down though. there was nothing bad about it but the ending just seemed to sudden. it was like the author was just tired of writing and put as little into it as possible. there were a lot of loose ends. maybe this means there will be a sequel but i hope not. i think the author could have added a few more pages and the ending would have been superb.
J. Ewbank
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a wild, visid,and stirring book Olsen has written. It is an exciting book which began slowly for me but gathered force and then kept me reading until the end. The Watchers involves a group of women who are holy people and who have become separated but have their gifts handed down from one generation to another. No more to be said because it is a book you have to read to enjoy.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Kathy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't want to put this one down. On my day off today, I just had to sit and finish it. It is not my usual type of book, as I don't really like to read books that are frightening or full of violence. This is a suspense novel based upon the battle between good and evil, among humans as well as in the spiritual realm. It reminds me of a couple of Frank Peretti books that I read several years ago. Suspenseful, yet good to know throughout who is surely to be victorious!
Wayne C Anderson
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is fiction but reveals some true "Seer" conflicts of the spirit realm. I was greatly surprised when I read the first 150 pages on a flight from Boise to Tampa. I got off the plane and called Pat Holloran and told him to read the book because it reveals battles likeness closer than anything I've ever read in print. Some important truths are hidden in fiction herein.
Chris
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was a good book and had a very nice premise. It tended to get a little "preachy" at times and for those who are not ardently Christian may find this to be a big distraction.

The book does have a good flow and did not get bogged down like some of his previous works. I may to pass on the rest of the series.
Mark
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall this book was a bit weird for my tastes and outside of the style book I typically read. Almost a sci-fi style linked with christian fiction. I might try the next book "The Warrior", as the overall writing was decent.
Rennie
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
Great start but went on to a bit more of religious focus than I had expected. If one was religious, then I suspect they would rate it around a 3 or 3+ but talking to the Lord proved a bit too distracting for me.
Judy Benvin
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could have given this book 10 stars! Excellent read from the first page. Excellent view of the battles between good and evil. I agree with the other reviewer - the book seemed to end a little quickly. This is one book I look forward to re-reading.
Tiffany
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well, I'm giving up on this book for now. I'm disappointed. The premise seemed so promising, but I just couldn't attach to the main character. So I started reading some other books and this one has been pushed to the side for now! Maybe someday I'll finish it if I have nothing better to read.
Ron
Nov 06, 2014 marked it as gave-up
Tried but couldn't stay with it. There's something jarringly wrong about this story. As I tried to read it, I kept pausing to consider what was so "off." I can't put my finger on it, but it keeps knocking me out of the story.

No rating. I got less that 50 pages in.
Hollie
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book starts in the mind of a killer, however keep reading it was not the typical book I would usually read either, after a few chapters I was hooked and could not put it down. Olsen is an excellent writer in this fiction novel on spiritual warfare. Exciting and suspenseful.
Greg Dill
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Started out good but gradually lost interest. Don't know if it was me or not, but just seemed to drag on and ramble about seemingly irrelevant stuff. Wasn't expecting it to be a Christian fiction, which I don't mind. But, bad theology can ruin what could potentially be otherwise a good read.
Megan
Feb 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
This was an awful, weird, and violent book. I had a hard time gleaming the Christian message it was trying to send. It was my first time with this author, and I had to force myself to sit down and finish it. Very disappointing.
Melissa
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love books, that make you think, and have a great story !! This did both ;)
Joan
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Good book, but I have read better by this author. I don't think I will read the sequel.
Nickk
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great imagery and descriptions of the spiritual realm but the end felt extremely rushed and was slightly unsatisfying because of it
Sherman,
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story with a satisfying ending and truly a very cozy read.
Nadine
Aug 17, 2012 added it
Anita Estes
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great spiritual book and engaging reading about a group of women who have the same vision from God. Fast paced and intriguing.
Olympia
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this book over the first couple of chapters. It turned out to be a wonderful read. I really enjoyed it.
Becca Kuhlman
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book really makes you think aout god, angles, demons, good and evil.
  • Comes a Horseman
  • Shade
  • Soul Tracker
  • Vanish
  • Sands of Time (Mission: Russia #2)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Plague Maker
  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #1)
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • The Cure
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
  • A Rift in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Scream
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Reluctant Burglar (To Catch a Thief #1)
  • Blessed Child (The Caleb Books, #1)
  • The Little Sparrows (The Orphan Trains Trilogy, #1)
  • Eyes of Elisha
Mark Andrew Olsen is a full-time writer, novelist and screenwriter who recently collaborated with Tommy Tenney on the novel HADASSAH. He grew up in France the son of missionaries, and is a Professional Writing graduate of Baylor University. He and his wife, Connie, and their three children make their home in the mountains of Colorado.

Series:
* Abby Sherman
* Hadassah
More about Mark Andrew Olsen

Abby Sherman (2 books)
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)