Start by marking “Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life” as Want to Read:
Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life

Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life

488 Rules for Life is Kitty Flanagan's way of making the world a more pleasant place to live. Providing you with the antidote to every annoying little thing, these rules are not made to be broken.

Kindle Edition
Published April 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life

Start your review of Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Kitty Flanagan is a popular Australian comedienne, performer and writer who regularly appears on stage and screen. 488 Rules for Life is her tongue in cheek guide to modern etiquette, a list of rules that guarantees the world would be a better place, if only everyone would follow them.

Rule #19 - Flush. Pause. Check
Rule #26 - Cushions are not spiritual advisers
Rule #164 - Don’t serve food on planks, tiles, slabs of granite or any other building materials
Rule #222 - G
Jay Dwight
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is literally a laugh out loud read. And I agree with about 75% of the rules !

You will want to read this one with someone you know nearby, so you can read them the rules that tickle your fancy, and read them the ones you know they break.

Like "Bridge Burning", Kitty throws in a surprise twist in the book - and I just broke Rule 429 telling you that !

Enjoy.
Ben White
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read. Lots of laugh out loud moments!
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you so much to Allen & Unwin for providing me with a copy of Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life, in exchange for an honest review.

Kitty Flanagan is an Aussie comedian, who would always make me laugh at her take on life, during her TV segments.  I knew I would love her book of rules, and, to be honest, I agreed with almost every one of them 😂  (except no gift registries for weddings, c'mon Kitty, I don't want to have to put thought into a present, I just want to order it online from a shop, ok? 😆
Tanya Nellestein
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We had a rocky start ... rule 2 drew a gasp of alarm. Clearly, Kitty has no passion for collecting the autographs in permanent maker of her favourite team (for which she bleeds the team colours) and creating an altar of tribute in the heart of her home. Guess we’re different ...
However, I laughed so hard and so long at rule 190 that I threw my back out! I still can’t actually tell anyone what I’m laughing at without dissolving into asthmatic wheezes. I have the same reaction to a Lincraft store
Kelly
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Amusing and a couple of rules made me snort gleefully, so that's always a good sign. The sealed section on wedding speeches is actually excellent advice and should be given to literally every person who is asked to give a speech at a wedding.
Millie May
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Such a fun read!! Really funny but also really serious in the rules!! Definitely going to be enforcing a fair few of these
Rachael McDiarmid
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her. That is all.
Melissa Burling
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Kitty for one of the most entertaining books I have read for years. Made me laugh from beginning to end. No one can read this book and say they haven't broken any of the rules.
Kath
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - laughed out loud numerous times - especially the sections about Active Wear and Change Rooms.
Courtney
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really needed this laugh after whatever the hell this week was in the world. What is even happening? Who knows? Let's retreat into the world of Kitty Flanagan's rules, which if you're anything like me, you're going to read this entire thing in Kitty Flanagan's voice complete with intonation which makes it even funnier on some occasions.

This is book is exactly what it says it is. Well, no. That's actually a lie. There's only 447 rules included but magnanimous as Kitty is, she has given you som
Alan
Oct 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: epub

488 Rules for Life is not a self-help book, because it's not you who needs help, it's other people. Whether they're walking and texting, asphyxiating you on public transport with their noxious perfume cloud, or leaving one useless square of toilet paper on the roll, a lot of people just don't know the rules.

But thanks to Kitty Flanagan's comprehensive guide to modern behaviour, our world will soon be a much better place. A place where people don't ruin the fruit salad by putting banana in it ... where your crules.

But

Craig
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I love Kitty Flanagan. Her segments from the Weekly and the Project have been watched by me on YouTube many times, and I still love them. The segment about this book (which admittedly didn't exist) was definitely one of my favourites; I thought it should be a real book then! Partly because it was hilarious, partly because I love rules and order. When I found out this book was suddenly a real thing? I was on it like a shot!

The book was great. While I wasn't cracking up out loud consta
Paperbark Merchants
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I can hear her voice as I read through these rules.
A funny, lightweight novel that you are sure to enjoy if you love rules that relate to being a good human. And if there are any rules you don’t agree with, refer to Rule #1 - If you don’t agree with the rule, forget about it and move on. I appreciated this because not all of her rules resonated with me; but most did.

I also appreciated that there is the option to add a few extra of your own rules at the end.
Rule #448:
Tracey
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, australian, 2019
Kitty Flanagan is an Australian comedian with a wonderful sense of humour. In Flanagan's book we are treated to a series of rules that will have you have laughing, agreeing or maybe rolling your eyes and saying 'no way'. The good thing is that Flanagan outrightly states these are her rules and leaves you some room at the end to create your own.
Flanagan covers a myriad of topics from exercise gear, general office rules, online dating rules, fashion, tattoos and shop assistants to name but a few.
Debbie Harris
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read and as a blogger I was very interested in Rule #335 Don't presume people have hours to read your blog - try to be concise...less waffle, more content, and Rule #336 Blogging won't make you rich - as Kitty says 'No matter what people tell you about advertisers and people buying space on your hugely successful blog, it won't happen. So blog if you musty, but do it because you enjoy it, not because you think you're going to make monster coin.'
So many good tips and I smiled thro
Lauren Renee
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kitty's sense of humour is down right brilliant.
It is therefore no surprise that I absolutely loved her new book and devoured the whole thing within the first day of receiving it.
The book was filled with some brilliant rules, my favourite being 'Rule 149 Lift your chair' as that is one of my biggest pet peeves in society.
Overall, I would highly recommend giving this book a read, it's great for a laugh and makes you feel less guilty for your own rule making!
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh from beginning to end. Most of the 'rules' were ridiculous, but surprisingly (and unfortunately) I have been guilty of some of them. I kind of wish I had my own copy so I could whip this out at any time to chastise people. There were rules in here I didn't know I needed. Highly recommend for a light read and a pick me up.
Candice
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so glad that I didn’t read this in the quiet carriage, because I was laughing out loud, CONSTANTLY! If I had read this, particularly the section about public transport, in a quiet carriage, oh, God help me! Haha.

Easy and hilarious read! Definitely recommend it to everyone! I agree with about 97% of the rules and couldn’t help but laugh at the explanations provided.
Seadaz
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious but absolutely correct. I’d have never taken myself as being a person having so many rules, but as I read through I was saying to myself..Oh absolutely Kitty.... but for the odd rule or 2 I’m thinking OMG I do that.... will definitely take a snapshot of the last square of toilet roll rule and put that up at work, cos that irritates the s:**t outta me!
Tamara Van Hees
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, when first heard about I bought it straight away without any hesitation. I'm a huge rules girl myself especially with my aspergers, so I was like "OMG Kitty and I are kindred spirits", this is amazing.
Susan
Take Grumpy Old Women, add a generous dash of dry-as-an-unbuttered-Sao antipodean wit and stir rigorously; season with equal quantities of modesty and ironic self-congratulation. Serve in bite-sized chunks to a delighted audience. Thank you.
Jocelyn (foxonbooks)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, silly, insightful and definitely the kind of rules I'm down to live by (especially the rule that says not to follow any rules that you disagree with). A great read from an excellent person!
Jenny McAteer
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Very funny. Loved the rules and could relate to them all (except the kids, skipped that section) and my fave has to be "don't say you hate cats if you've never had one"
Well done Kitty. Great book
Amanda Paget
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt personally attacked by page 11. But otherwise... if everyone followed these rules the world would be a better place.
Melissa Alvey
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny as always a Kitty Flanagan. You make some hilarious rules and all should follow
Lara Anderson
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Will be buying my own copy to encourage her to write more
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very good book, loved it.
Amie Clark
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It did make me giggle out loud. Agreeable rules.
Sam
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kitty is awesome. Unfortunately this book should never have been written as it is just common sense, but alas stupid world, we are lucky we have people like Kitty to help us through.

• The Wife and the Widow
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Escape From Wolfhaven Castle (The Impossible Quest #1)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Lily and the Rose (Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies, #2)
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • The Loneliest Kitten
  • Kensy and Max 4: Out of Sight
  • Harry Potter: Spells and Charms: A Movie Scrapbook
  • Mary Poppins, She Wrote: The Life of P.L. Travers
  • The Unforgiving City
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Six Minutes