Start by marking “Mage (Fringe Realms #1)” as Want to Read:
Mage (Fringe Realms #1)

Mage

(Fringe Realms #1)

Is Eleanor a player trapped in the Fringe Realms or is she a character created to live inside the game?

Ready Player One meets Westworld in this new sci-fi fantasy series.

Eleanor Walker wakes in a forest with vague memories of her life, no possessions, and a silver band strapped to her wrist. She’s not sure what's strangest about the next event – meeting spiders big

Published January 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mage

Start your review of Mage (Fringe Realms #1)
kels
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
First things first, this is NOT litrpg. You'll be disappointed if that's what you want. There are light gaming elements, but it's first and foremost a slowburn fantasy romance (and man o man emphasis on the slow).

The story is intriguing; there are some ominous hints dropped at the start, and then - surprise! - Eleanor wakes up inside a game. The story follows her and her friends as they try to figure out how to get back to real life - with some interesting developments as to what that real life
Rambling Reader
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Before I dig into the nitty, gritty of Fringe Realms, let me say that this is a story with characters who are gamers, not necessarily a story meant for READERS who are gamers. Gaming elements are part of the plot, conflict, and the characters' choices, but at a basic enough level that Fringe Realms is SUPER approachable for readers who know almost nothing about gaming whatsoever.

That being said, if you're an experienced gamer who's looking for a story that will have highly advanced gaming eleme
Jennifer G
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eleanor is only existing. She has a dead end job cleaning, lost her boyfriend to someone he met online, and spends most of her days avoiding real contact. Gaming is her escape, her true pleasure; the place where she can be successful, powerful, and live out her dreams. But when she wakes up in a forest with a silver band strapped to her wrist feeding her information about herself, her environment, and the enormous spiders heading in her direction, it seems as if her real life has merged with her ...more
Marnie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m loving this Urban Fantasy RH Romance. All action and plot layers!

Despite it’s on-line gaming setting, for me, Fringe Realms: Mage sits squarely in the very slow burn Urban Fantasy genre, and will also be the third series that I have enjoyed reading from this author. Each one, I have auto-one-clicked based on her name alone.

Knowing that LJ Swallow herself, is a gamer, yet takes the time to explain the game terms, meant that as someone who hasn’t moved much past the initial days of ‘DOOM’, and
❤ Bibi ❤
It is no secret that I’m a huge fan of L.J. Swallow’s writing and this one is no exception. I’ve previously read a gaming romance under her romance name (Lisa Swallow), so I figured this would be like that but with a reverse harem twist. How wrong I was! This is nothing like her previous work, not even a little bit. Its so much more. Much more interesting, extensive, demanding and that’s just how I felt as a reader. This book demands attention, and I had the hardest time putting it down. Even to ...more
Arceli
*I have received an ARC inexchange for an honest review

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this novel. It was a super fun read. I really liked how the author incorporated so many gaming elements into the novel. It is truly one of a kind that I have never read. I also really liked the fantasy and science fiction elements combined together. The unique aspects of the novel made for some really good world building. In addition, the author threw a lot of twists and turns that made me keep on my toes. A
Jenny
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Fringe Realms: Mage is the first one in this new series and my first read from this author. First off, this isn't litRPG as was stated in the first page of the book. I’d say that I’m not a hard core gamer myself and understand a few terms, there are gaming elements and terms but not so much technical that even the non-gamers I’m sure can understand.

I’ve enjoyed reading this book because it brought me back my memories of gaming days; the thrill of doing tasks/ quests and the joy of leveling up a
Lisa Maher
Shelves: rh
What would you do if you became trapped in a video game? If everything you knew about the world changed overnight? This is exactly what happens to Eleanor Walker and several others in this great new book by LJ Swallow. These characters went to bed in the world they knew and woke up in a game. I love this concept for a book. The quests and challenges that Eleanor, Dean, Jay, and Aidan have to complete are interesting, twisty, and show the intricacies of their personalities. This book is a slow bu ...more
Melissa
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting end

This book was middle of the road for me. I am not a gamer and the gaming aspects were ok and fortunately for me not too over the top. I just don’t gaming... anyway.. the storyline was interesting but sometimes I felt it jumped around a bit. The slow burn romance was too slow for my liking as well. Gave the book 3 stars because the end of the book snagged my attention and I might actually consider reading the next one now whenever it comes out... the end of my book said later in 2
Che
This book was strange.

I was confused, entertained and bored at the same time. Around the middle of the book i was close to DNFing it cause it got so boring but pushed through which i'm glad i did cause jesus that ending. I need the second book like NOW which unfortunately for me there's no release date at this time.

I don't hate the characters but don't love them either. When it says slowburn, it means slowburn. No romance in sight which i dont mind cause it would've taken away from the story. T
Karen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Refreshing

LJ Swallow has produced a slow burn RH fantasy novel set in the gaming world.

I have really enjoyed this first book in her new series. Fringe Realm: Mage left me asking is Eleanor a real person engaged in a virtual world or a character in a game.

I loved the detail in the story and the characters. I also like the slow build of the Eleanor’s relationship with the men she meets - Jay, Dean and Aiden.

If you like gaming give this book a read. It is a very enjoyable read.
April
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

Great start to a new series. I am not a gamer and have no desire to be so I wasn't sure that I would like this book. Because this is one of my favorite authors I read it anyway and I'm glad I did. This book is rh/ action gaming/ paranormal all rolled into one. I love the characters. Not sure what is actually going on yet. It's as much as a trip to me as the gamers. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Megan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you woke up inside a video game? Well.... Eleanor Walker is about to find out❤ There is such a refreshing uniqueness to this story from the storyline itself, the wonderful characters that keep you on your toes & all the slow burn 🔥🔥
I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say this...Read this book! GAH! This was such a good read! & I cannot wait for the next installment of this new series by LJ Swallow!
Izzy  Hix
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This series is perfect

I don't think I have ever read something that gripped me so strongly that I never wanted to let go like this series. If you like playing online RPGs this series is right up your ally. I played religiously for years and I can honestly say this series speaks to every gamers heart. We all want to live in the game. This book takes you there. I am very impatiently waiting the next book.
Jenn
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crazy headtrip!

Cool but crazy story about a girl somehow locked inside a game with her good friend. The game is alternate reality and Eleanor doesn’t really know what to do with the people she meets and where she is. She only wants to get out. Very slow burn but super intriguing premise!
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I loved this book. All the characters are likeable and you see real character growth in el throughout the book.
I literally did not put it down from start to finish (at about 3am) because I was so enthralled with the story. It's beautifully written and highly captivating.
Can't wait to read book 2!
Becci Evans
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this, another great book by the author. Something very different to her other books really well written. Lots of imagination and twists and great story line that keeps you wanting more. I’ve personally not read anything like this before but I’m glad I did and look forward to the second book.
Heather
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new series by the very talented Ms. Swallow. The story line is a bit different than I am used to reading, but I enjoyed it. I am not a gamer and I haven’t played any game since Tetris first came out, yet I still enjoyed the story and I was able to follow along due to Ms. Swallow’s descriptions of her world.
I received an ARC from the author. This is my honest review.
Tiffany
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great first book!

El has a crappy mundane life so she loves to get lost in the game during her downtime. Something happens and she wakes up as a lowly level one character similar to her game. She makes friends, goes on quests, and levels up, slowly learning what happened to her. Will she ever escape? I can't wait to see what happens next after that cliffhanger.
Tayla Mai
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
So this book is just not for me I had a very hard time getting into this book but I absolutely loved the ideas and creativeness in this book!! ❤️ I'm a gamer and this isn't a LitRPG which the author has said many times do if your rating it on that then you need to leave. To me this book just wasn't something I'm interested in but love her other books very much!
Rosalind Bath
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mage

LJ is a fab storyteller, her writing draws you into the story. The characters are great and have depth. I am looking forward to finding out more about them and where the game takes them next.
Tom Davidson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book didn't like ending

Anyone who has ever played D&D will enjoy this book. A group of people suddenly find themselves not only playing the game but being a part of it. It has a to be continued sort of ending which I am not terribly fond of
Brittany
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

S bit different than what I usually read but a welcomed different. The twists and turns and continuous questioning of what will happen next and what's real leaves you on the edge of your seat wanting more
Laci
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New take

LOVED this book. Totally different than everything coming out and I really appreciate and crave that in a book. It was just the right mixture of intrigue, action, and a touch of romance. Definitely going to be in my top series. Can’t wait for the next one!
Aimee
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man this book was so awesome!!!! Being a gamer myself had be quite intrigued and I was not disappointed! I loved everything about it! The characters, the concept, the plot, and that ending! It has me super excited for the next installment!
Laura Moore
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really Sucked Me In At The End!

Thoroughly enjoyed this book with a quirky story line. Just cruising along reading not really sure how I really felt about it. Then I was sucked in at the very end. Now waiting for the next book 😊
Book Addict
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow...this book is really different to the other books I have read from the super talented LJ Swallow...I absolutely love this concept and for me it is so different and unique! I have no idea about gaming and this story really shows how some people just exist day to day and then come alive in these other worlds..all the MCs are different and intriguing, i did not like them all but when do we always like everyone?? This book has done great character development and LJ Swallow left me wanting more ...more
Agnieszka
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2019
Tracy Williams
rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2019
Kamila
Dec 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stained Egos (Salsang Chronicles, #1)
  • Crimes of Cupidity (Heart Hassle #3)
  • First Moon (Lovin' the Coven #1)
  • Jump through Fire (Harem of Freaks #4)
  • Piece Of Fae (Haret Chronicles; Qilin, #4)
  • Cruel Magic (Royals of Villain Academy, #1)
  • Power of Lies (The Dark Orchid, #1)
  • A Torn Paige (Hidden Kingdom #1)
  • The Queen's Protectors (Throne of Blood #1)
  • For Love of Evil (The Demons' Muse #2)
  • Abra Cadabra (Harem of Freaks #2)
  • Illusion of Death (Crystal Clear, #2)
  • Tightrope (Harem of Freaks #5)
  • Maiming (To Tame a Shifter #3)
  • Bound For Blood (Feathers & Fire #1)
  • April's Fools
  • White Charms and Dark Secrets (Grey Witch #2)
  • Boys Over Powers (A Witch Among Warlocks, #2)
LJ Swallow is a paranormal romance and urban fantasy author who is the alter-ego of bestselling contemporary romance author Lisa Swallow.

Giving in to her dark side, LJ spends time creating worlds filled with supernatural creatures who don’t fit the norm, and heroines who are more likely to kick ass than sit on theirs.