Jump to ratings and reviews

Syövästä voi selviytyä – Yhdeksän polkua yllättävään paranemiseen

Yhdeksän keinoa, jotka saattavat avata reitin hämmästyttävään parantumiseen

Kun perinteinen lääketiede on tehnyt kaikkensa syövän voittamiseksi, voi sairastuneella vielä olla toivoa paranemisesta. Tohtori Kelly A. Turner on haastatellut suurta joukkoa ihmisiä ympäri maailmaa ja kerännyt haastattelujen pohjalta yhdeksän kohdan listan keskeisistä paranemisen avaimista.

Kirja tarjoaa apua niille, jotka etsivät lisävaihtoehtoja perinteisten syöpähoitojen rinnalle, sekä niille, jotka toivottomassa tilanteessa uskovat, että selviytyminen voi vielä olla mahdollista.

364 pages, Paperback

First published March 18, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kelly A. Turner

11 books32 followers
Dr. Kelly Turner is a researcher, lecturer, and consultant in the field of integrative oncology. Her specialized research focus is the Radical Remission of cancer, which is a remission that occurs either in the absence of conventional medicine, or after conventional medicine has failed. Her research is summarized in her upcoming book RADICAL REMISSION (HarperOne, March 18, 2014), available wherever books and e-books are sold. Dr. Turner has a B.A. from Harvard University and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley. When she's not studying incredible cases of healing, you'll find her either cozying up in Brooklyn with her family, waterskiing, or screenwriting. For more information, please visit http://www.DrKellyTurner.com .

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
38 (2%)
1 star
24 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 189 reviews
Profile Image for Deirdre Vogel.
137 reviews
March 30, 2015
One of my chemo nurses recommended this book to me. Read after very-near fatal experince while on chemotherapy. I highly recommend this book.Traditional medicine does not have all the answers when it comes to cancer, even though I continue with traditional therapies I have found that many of the suggestions in this book have helped me deal with my diagnosis. I also have tried some of the alternative approaches that have slowed the progression of my dieease.
Profile Image for Alexandra Chauran.
Author 30 books51 followers
November 27, 2015
There's nothing "radical" about the advice in this book, but there are lots of nourishing stories and ideas. This book's title should have been "Let's Freak Out About Cancer... in 2015!" New revisions every year. It's kind of a handbook to what people do these days socio-spiritually to cope with all the sequelae of cancer and/or its treatment. It's fascinating in an anthropological sense, hearkening back to the Kellogg days of alternative health treatments for hysteria. I was struck not by how different these survivors are, but by how similar they are to so many people I know, survivors and not-so-survivors. I'm in the uniquely cynical position of having done all the natural anti-cancer stuff before I ever got cancer. I wish that the diet and supplements chapters weren't first. Even though the author stresses that there's not one specific diet that is supported by research, hers or otherwise, she then goes back on that and you have to swim through a wall of bullshit to get to the rest of the book. I think future editions would be well-served by an encyclopedic format, allowing people to read more deeply into whatever they wish. Warning to readers: Though this book appears positive, it's written such that she will be also telling you things that will supposedly kill you. This can be disturbing and possibly damaging to vulnerable readers. Also, the author very much has an agenda. Though the marketing copy and introduction suggest this book is written to be used along with Western medicine, she cherry picks her volunteers (without discussing volunteer bias) so as to glorify those who refuse treatment. She also seems to confuse being an "active" patient with being a combative and noncompliant patient. Overall, this book should be read with critical thinking. Don't abandon your brain at the door. Don't give this book to a person who is losing his or her marbles with grief about treatment. That said, this was a fast and easy read, enjoyable for its various zany stories.
March 10, 2017
I have read this book twice in just a couple of weeks. This is a must read for any cancer patients or anyone with family or friends that have cancer. This is by far one of the best books I ever read. It includes inspiring stories of cancer patients, and it gives you detailed steps on how to beat cancer. The lessons in here were life changing, they create hope for all cancer patients to achieve a radical remission. The only thing I am mad about is that I didn't read this book sooner. The author is amazing, she is really making a difference for the cancer fighting world.
Profile Image for Pamela.
42 reviews11 followers
October 18, 2019
As a cancer conqueror, I was expecting a great read as I began this book! What could be more encouraging than learning from someone who had researched and talked to over a thousand radical survivors of cancer and asking what they had done to bring about those changes? I certainly wanted to hear what they had to say. The author noticed a pattern of nine factors that seemed pivotal in many of these accounts of healing. Of these nine factors, only two are physical things I could do- radically change my diet and use herbs and supplements. The other chapters are very spiritually orientated. The spirituality presented in this book was new age faith healing with next to no representation of healing from a Christian perspective. In fact, I don't believe the name of Jesus was mentioned at all.

Radical Remission's message, turned out to be: If you want to be healed of cancer, change your diet, take some supplements and turn to eastern religion. Encouragement to experiment with paganism fills its pages. After reviewing 1000 cases and interviewing over 100 people Kelly Turner could not find space in her book for any who had found healing by turning to Christianity. Although this book is about healing cancer it had a huge emphasis on teaching a certain kind of spirituality. I wasn't expecting to find that in this book and wish I would have known that before I purchased it.

When I was a young woman I was also interested and participated in many of the new age ideas presented in this book. Having turned from those things, I am now a believer in Jesus, and quite honestly I no longer want anything to do with those practices. Having been in both camps, I found this book to be an uncomfortable advertisement for new age faith healing and paganism in its many different forms. Story after story is presented of patients and healers employing new age and eastern spiritual practices for healing. There is a glaring absence of those who have a strong biblical faith and found healing in Jesus. Christianity is only represented here in one or two very short accounts. Where it does come up in the longer stories is only to say how badly they felt under that oppressive old way they used to live.

This book will offer you encouragement:

- If your interests lie in learning more about medical intuitive's with clairvoyant abilities who can read your energy fields and guide your healing journey.
- If you might be interested in following a mans journey to Bangkok where he meets a sikh who tells his fortune and he gets deeply into energy healing.
- If you believe God is a force or energy or an "it" that you can awaken, involve and tell that divine force to help you.
- If you want to read about what someone learned under the teaching of a Native American Shaman.
- If you want to hear about someone's experience with awakening kundalini rising in their spine.
- If your interested in Matrix Energetics.
- If your into Reiki.
- If your interested in energy healing.
- If you'd like the terms chi, qi, or prana explained.
- If you want to read about someone's 10 day silent meditation retreat at a Buddhist enlightenment center where this person has a spiritual experience and wonders if he is hallucinating or if he experiencing God.
- If your into hypnosis.
- If your into acupuncture.
- If your into reincarnation.
- If guided meditation and tapping to release energetic and emotional blockages interests you.
- If you chose not to be around people carrying bad energy and purposefully surround yourself with the highest vibration frequencies possible.
- If studying Traditional Chinese Medicine and learning about the meridian system, auras, and chakras interests you.
- If exploring the many different modes of new age thought and healing interest you.
- If you want to feel encouraged in throwing off the Christian God of your youthful upbringing.

Then you might find what you are looking for in Radical Remission.
March 10, 2021
I chose this book in the hope and expectation of advice and help that had at least some scientific basis. There was some merit in the first chapter on nutrition but after that, all rationality ended. What I find most disturbing is the lengthy chapter on 'John of God,' a charlatan who is now serving a prison sentence for rape and sexual abuse of women and girls, and a number of whose patients, supposedly 'healed,' have subsequently died. Who is to say that all the other healers mentioned in the book are any better? I have always been sceptical of so-called 'faith healing,' which relies heavily on the placebo effect and nothing else. This book has confirmed my beliefs. If someone is going to write a book of this nature which encourages sick, often desperate, patients to seek 'alternative' treatments, the author has a duty of care to properly research the methods and outcomes, rather than relying solely and anecdotes, which are very subjective.
6 reviews
March 6, 2017
While I very much enjoyed this book, I would have liked to know that there were objective differences between those who did and did not experience remission. This is really a book about how people make meaning of their unlikely survival. I am sure many people who don't experience remissions do similar things in an effort to prolong their survival. Therefore, it's still hard to know what the difference is between those who do and don't go into remission. What it due to the behaviors and practices outlined in the book? There is no way to know this. The implication is that what these people did made a positive difference (though the author tries to explain that her methods don't support such assumptions), but I am ambivalent about the implied message.

Regardless of this critique, I thought the book was still a valuable contribution - to have tracked down and interviewed so many people who have recovered from dire prognoses is impressive. We have a lot to learn from these examples and knowing that such stories of profound healing exist, regardless of the reasons.
Profile Image for Lori Wilk.
2 reviews16 followers
October 6, 2014
I have to thank this author for writing this book and including so many examples of patients who have had radical remissions. This book came at a time we are helping a loved one suffering with 4th stage prostate cancer which has moved into his bones and spread.. it's been pretty emotionally painful and horrible to see the suffering that Cancer brings. We have been uplifted and inspired by this author and look forward to opportunities to see her at upcoming live events. I would like to interview Kelly A.Turner on an upcoming episode of my talk show "Successipes." Again, thank-you and keep writing and sharing more with us. We need good news and to have hope. You will help so many people with this book.
Profile Image for Christina Jain.
126 reviews5 followers
October 15, 2015
This title is incredibly misleading. Turner is looking for shared traits among statistical anomalies, then leading you to believe (but never explicitly outlining) that following her suggestions would lead you to healing. She admits she has no scientific data to backup her claims, though she has plenty of anecdotes. It's a clear case of survivorship bias.

If she had stayed away from nutritional recommendations, many which I've found to be false based on Cochrane.org and reputable medical institutions, her introductions to alternative therapies (QiGong, meditation, willful being, spiritual energy practices, herbalism, etc) would have been better received.

That said, she does present "inspiring" stories of survivors which may give some hope that they too will win the lottery.
2 reviews
March 15, 2015
The book gives a very collective and comprehensive digest of hundreds of people recovered from cancer using alternative treatment. It is not exaggerating the importance of nonconventional treatment but objectively analyzed the common ways these recovered patient adopted. Each chapter is composed of a single key factor, underlying rationality or scientific proof, sounding examples and technics. It also incorporated some theory of Chinese medicine and other Asian or ancient perspective for healing. The book is not only applied to cancer but also good for keeping healthy life and enjoying a better quality of life.
Profile Image for Karen.
368 reviews15 followers
January 22, 2015
An inspiring and well-written book about people who have survived cancer, and some of the ways in which they have addressed their disease. Chapters include: Radically changing your diet; Taking control of your health; Following your intuition; Using herbs and supplements; Releasing suppressed emotions; Increasing positive emotions; Embracing social support; Deepening your spiritual connection; and Having strong reasons for living. It could have been called: a blueprint for living. Reccommended.
Profile Image for Steph.
225 reviews7 followers
November 18, 2022
My goal in reading this book was to a) learn more about cancer and b) to have hope. To me, Turner delivered on both fronts. I found it fascinating to read each of the personal stories shared in every chapter. The mind/body connection explored so thoroughly in 7 if the 9 key factors was fascinating and had me reflecting on what emotions may be stored in my body that I need to work to release. Also reading about how your diet can impact your odds to both getting and beating cancer, made me reflect on the role sugar plays in my life and how I could cut back to benefit my overall health. I’d love to say “eliminate” here but I think I’d need to read more about the best way to go about this for long-term success because while this book points to the solutions, it doesn’t provide a step-by-step guide on how to get there especially for the chapter on diet.

As someone without cancer and who has never had it, I wonder how people with cancer would feel about this book. Would it be inspiring and empowering or frustrating and condescending? I guess it would depend on where you are at and what it is you need to hear to help you get through. One of my friends was diagnosed with cancer this year and he mentioned he was reading this book, so I wanted to read it in solidarity. On discussing it with him, his view was you need to tailor it to your situation. I agree with him, critical thinking is necessary here and you need to cherry pick what may work for you. While Turner focuses on one of the key factors in each of the survivor stories, they do mention that most of the people mentioned in this book focused on 8 out of the 9 factors. I can see that this would be potentially frustrating as we still don’t know exactly what has led to each of the survivor’s success. I also wish that Turner at focused more on how western and eastern medicine could work in conjunction with one another to yield results whereas most of the people in this book had rejected western medicine for the most part. That said, if you had tried all western medicine had to offer and were looking for other solutions, I imagine this book would prove valuable.

In the end I think this book was intended to provide hope and I think it does that pretty well. It’s an easy read and one that will spur me on to get better educated about the themes it explores.
Profile Image for Kat.
39 reviews1 follower
June 29, 2021
This book is a scam. It designed to prey on desperate people(who are suffering from or whose loved one is suffering from cancer), who will willingly spend money buying this book in the hopes of finding the solution/cure they so desperately seek.

The author makes the claim that if you follow her nine tips/tricks you could beat the odds by curing your cancer and going into remission. She may seem to make a convincing case at first, but when you take a closer look at the numbers things start to look a little iffy.

To start off, her sample size for her study is 1000 people. This may seem fairly large, but to put things in perspective, 9.5 million people die of cancer every year worldwide. So if 1000 people out of those 9.5 million miraculously survive every year, that's a 0.01% survival rate. That's super low, and probably not even accurate, as the people in the study probably didn't all have cancer in the same year, which would make the survival rate even smaller.

So basically, don't waste your money by giving it to the manipulative bitch that wrote this book. Fuck her!
87 reviews1 follower
June 3, 2014
This book is AWESOME. I recommend that anyone who either had/has or might get or know anyone with either cancer or any chronic disease read this. I feel that it validated some of my beliefs already. I would never advise anyone to skip western medical treatment but think that the principles in this book would help anyone with just about any diagnosis.
Profile Image for Mish Middelmann.
319 reviews4 followers
April 18, 2021
Clear, courageous, direct: Kelly Turner navigates the stormy waters of cancer treatment and recovery with aplomb. I really like the way she combines storytelling with thorough data analysis. As a cancer survivor I deeply value her even handedness embracing both conventional medicine and complementary health practices. The last thing I need right now is some kind of shaming right/wrong finger-wagging about the dilemmas of responding to a cancer diagnosis.

In her PhD, she interviewed healers and survivors about their experiences with radical remission: cancer recoveries that beat the odds through natural methods, whether combined with conventional medical treatment or not. By the time she wrote the book she was drawing on over a thousand case studies.

Her writing offers a wonderfully clear, succinct combination of the results of her data analysis with useful cancer research - and lovely, touching, individual stories of miraculous cancer recovery told with loving care and wonder. So we sit -together with both the science and the magic that is our life on this earth.

And then she decodes the magic - at least partially. I encourage you read the book whether or not you have been diagnosed with cancer. We can all improve the quality of our lives by paying attention to the nine empowering and broad-based common factors she identifies - actions and behaviours any person can take, to live more healthily and reduce the chances of cancer cells congregating in your body and starting a rebellion.

I am writing about my personal experience of prostate cancer, and the steps I am taking to respond to the cancer, on the Recovering Man blog and I invite you to visit.
66 reviews3 followers
April 21, 2020
I read this book while in active treatment for breast cancer and it was so inspirational and empowering. These are the tips and stories that I was looking for and not finding anywhere. I find the author's research so valuable and powerful. I highly recommend this book for anyone living with cancer or those looking to get one step ahead of the game.
1,188 reviews19 followers
February 24, 2022
Fantastic information. Everything shared with wonderful compassion and stories shared from cancer survivors. So much data that can be practiced by everyone. I took my time in reading so I could truly take in all that was said - and will definitely return to the pages again and again.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Grateful Sadhu.
63 reviews4 followers
July 18, 2019
I am still reading but this book should be required reading for everyone. Not just when you get cancer. I don't have cancer but I'm reading this because it was recommended by a friend who does. As far as I am concerned this book helps understand how to live. It was very confirming to me and the beliefs I have had for close to 50 years. It is about joy, connection, love, intuition, happy, belief.
2 reviews
March 24, 2021
I started reading this after my own diagnosis and soon I realized that every time I sat down to read this book, at every single page I turned, I was left with a sense of awe and positivity and new courage that I didn't even know existed in me. It is extremely empowering and has brought so much hope to my life that I have told myself to read this book every six months to keep feeling these positive feelings. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to cure and prevent a cancer. Thank you, Dr. Turner, for writing this book and bringing tremendous amount of hope to me! With gratitude, Kanan
Profile Image for Catherine Von Bargen.
276 reviews1 follower
July 8, 2019
I feel like this book has some great ideas on how to holistically treat cancer and other diseases through diet, exercise, love, positivity and energy/other holistic methods. My mom liked it too. Her brother recommended that she read it and gifted it to her actually. That was nice of him.
Profile Image for Irene.
452 reviews
January 8, 2023
This book was mentioned by a friend who was diagnosed with glioblastoma brain cancer. Facing a bleak prognosis, she refused to resign herself to fate and has committed herself to defying the odds. This is not the type of book I usually read, however, when faced with the possibility of imminent death, I can understand the desire to grasp at all possible sources of hope, and I was intrigued.

The premise is fascinating: there are real people whose medically diagnosed cancer disappeared with no known medical reason, so let's study them and try to figure out what happened. Where the book falls short, for me, is how the investigation does not actually look for scientifically supported reasons for recovery, but instead relies almost entirely on each person's opinion on what they think caused their cancer to go away.

First, if you are the kind of person who absolutely never believes in ghosts, don't even try to read this book. There are no ghosts here, but for this book to even be readable, you have to be open to the idea that something might possibly, could be real, even if it defies all reason and there's no scientific explanation. You don't have to buy into alternative medicine, or believe in the paranormal, to get something positive out of this book, but you do need to take everything with a grain of salt.

Now, I am 100% a believer in conventional medicine and science, so I read most of this book with an attitude of, "Wow, that's interesting, not sure I believe all the details, but how amazing that that person is still alive!" The author does not exactly advocate for alternative medicine, in fact, she stated unambiguously that "most people will need conventional medicine to outrun cancer." (p. 9) But right off the bat, in the book's introduction, it's clear that she believes in alternative medicine, since her husband is a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner and studied "an esoteric form of energy healing." (p. 5) When telling the stories of survivors, she gave validity to "[t]he notion that a cancerous tumor is simply a buildup of stuck energy," (p. 94) and she reported matter-of-factly on the various alternative therapies people used, like Reiki or other forms of "energy healing", without any commentary regarding the controversy surrounding those methods.

In fact, it's that lack of transparency that led me to rate this book 2 stars. One of the featured survivors is someone who credits Brazilian John of God for curing his brain tumor. It was a very compelling account, so of course I immediately Googled John of God. Turns out, he's a convicted sex offender! The allegations first surfaced in 2018, and this book was published in 2014, so the author is off the hook for that particular oversight, however, James Randi, known skeptic of paranormal claims, discredited John of God in 2005. I think the complete omission of any reference to documented efforts to expose him as a fraud is downright negligent and detracts from this book's credibility. The author only hinted that John of God may not be legitimate when she wrote that the power of John of God's healing center "could simply be the placebo effect; in other words, our sheer belief that something powerful happens at John of God's center could have caused us to have a deeper meditation experience." (p. 250)

Another thing I wasn't fond of was the author's decision to soften the outlandishness of John of God's healing methods by using carefully chosen words. Though many online articles refer to him succinctly as a "psychic surgeon", the author described John of God as having "the ability to leave his body and go into a trance, thereby allowing the spirit of a higher being to enter his body and perform energetic healing work." (p. 237)

Not all the stories were as off-beat as the one involving John of God, but many of them had alternative medicine elements. Ultimately, I felt conflicted by the personal stories included in each chapter. On the one hand, they were very inspiring and would certainly give hope to a cancer patient with a poor prognosis; on the other hand, all the alternative medicine therapies were beyond belief, if you ask me.

Despite all that, if you can disregard the parts that you find unbelievable, there are valuable insights in this book that would benefit any cancer patient, regardless of prognosis. The nine "key factors" that radical remission patients share all sound very reasonable:

1. Radically Changing Your Diet
6. Increasing Positive Emotions
7. Embracing Social Support
8. Deepening Your Spiritual Connection
9. Having Strong Reasons for Living

Only two items are physically related to your body: changing your diet and taking supplements. While some diets and supplements may be more well-founded than others, at least the author periodically reminded readers to consult their doctors, e.g., "Remember, always speak to your doctor first in case your fast needs to be medically supervised." (p. 28)

If you're like me, you may be surprised that exercise is not on that list. Most health guides lead with diet and exercise, and throughout the book, I kept wondering why exercise was not singled out, especially since it was certainly mentioned in passing, e.g., "Thanks to a combination of yoga, hiking, and walking, [John] now feels like he's in the best shape of his life" (p. 39) and "[Jenny] also continued with the same daily exercise regimen she had created for herself years earlier." (p. 127) It wasn't until the very end of the book (p. 282) that the author revealed that exercise was not included as the 10th key factor because many patients were too weak to exercise when they first turned to alternative therapies, presumably either because of the cancer itself or due to side effects of having tried conventional treatment like chemotherapy. This explanation is fair, but I just wish she had said it up front at the beginning, so I didn't have to spend the entire book wondering why exercise was being glossed over.

The remaining items all fall under mental and emotional health, and even at face value it's easily conceivable that they each would have a positive effect on healing.

Every chapter concluded with actionable items that a person can do to put into practice the concepts outlined in that chapter. These suggestions were generally sensible and doable and essentially just useful advice for maintaining good mental health. In the end, it's these "Actions Steps" that made the book worth the read, in my opinion.
Profile Image for Heidi Gorecki.
293 reviews13 followers
June 14, 2020
Definitely an eat-the-fish-leave-the-bones book. As a 2 time cancer survivor, currently in remission, a friend recommended this book to me. I found the concepts really interesting and worth a lot of thought.

However, the book has a very clear bias towards TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and Eastern Mysticism/Energy healing. I will be the first to advocate for integrated and supplemental natural medicine but this went way beyond that.

The author states her background is in TCM, but as a book that’s supposed to be fact based interviews about how “radical remission” is possible, it really should have used more rounded, less pigeon-holed data. Every chapter outside of maybe the one on Diet attributes the persons healing to energy or TCM. Chapters that had nothing to do with energy or TCM in concept (like social connection for example) still wove it in there as a necessary part of their healing even tho it was really irrelevant to the concept discussed. Any reference to “God” isn’t actually God but energy or spiritual practice which is by far not the same thing. She even stated in the chapter on Spiritual Connection that everyone she interviewed agreed that it doesn’t matter how you embrace the spiritual, just that you do. Which, being in the cancer world for years, has been far from my own experience and that of talking to many others.

Again, a testament to a very biased pool of data.

All in all, great topics/points that are great to apply and consider in overall concept, but need to be viewed carefully and with a filter.
Profile Image for Steve.
518 reviews17 followers
September 25, 2018
This book seeks to identify the factors at work for those who survive serious cancer diagnoses. Turner looked to those survivors to determine commonalities in their approaches. This strikes me as valuable work, but Turner started to make me wonder in the introduction, in which she states, “...no one was seriously investigating these cases”, which flew in the face of my experience reading Love, Medicine, and Miracles by Siegel and Getting Well Again by the Simontons many years ago. In the first chapter, her science-based evidence of the relationships between foods and cancer was pretty compelling, but by the end of that chapter, she spoke of “erring on the side of caution” which, by that time made me think that those choices were made under conjecture to which Turner subscribes. The anecdotal evidence, while sometimes entertaining, proved the validity of Turner's comment in a later chapter, “some or all of it may not ring true for you”. I read about a quarter of it, and then did some skipping around. As far as I could see, she never addressed the very relevant question, for what percentage of the folks who try such things do they work or fail? Turner may be on to something, but it didn't work for me.
14 reviews
June 21, 2014
This is one of the profoundest, most positive books I've ever read. Incredible. It was a brilliant idea to study the medical anomaly of radical cancer remissions and find the commonalities in the people who recovered. Different types of cancer have occurred in my immediate family and our questions were always why? why? why? Well here are all the answers. If any book comes close to explaining the meaning of life, this is it! This book also offers amazing insights into the prevention of cancer too. It proves miracles can and do happen and I'm all for that! I want to give it to everyone I know with cancer, (which is sadly, far too many). I like that the author acknowledges that not every cancer sufferer may witness a full remission, but it certainly shows how to set up the conditions in which the miracle of complete healing can take place. Very, very hopeful indeed!
Profile Image for Nic.
80 reviews13 followers
January 13, 2015
Radical Remission was a book I wasn't overly interested in, despite a good friend telling me how great it was. For some reason, the cancer aspect didn't peak my curiosity, even though I am interested in alternative healing methods for cancer patients. Having finally read it, I can say this is an amazing book that is less about cancer, and more about natural healing and ways to "miraculously" heal your body that are not so mysterious after all.

If you are in any way interested in holistic living, please read this book. It's full of incredible information and jaw-dropping stories of people brave enough to blaze their own path with their healthcare in order to save their own lives.

The information in this book is applicable to every day life, as well. You do not need to be sick in order to benefit from and be inspired by the wealth of information in Radical Remission.
Profile Image for Gail.
235 reviews2 followers
September 7, 2014
I am happy to report that I do not have cancer. However, when I hear of a book that offers healing methods or suggestions for turning around something as intense as this disease, I always think that those things are probably good suggestions to help avoid it in the first place. I heard about this book through Kris Carr's website, where I saw an interview with the author, Kelly Turner. I was impressed by her and what she had to say, so I picked up the book. I found it a good read and full of inspiration. If you have a loved one dealing with cancer in his or her life, I would certainly recommend this book (I already have).
51 reviews1 follower
December 17, 2014
This is an astonishing book!!! Well worth your time. The author, a medical researcher, notices that doctors will say that some patients experience remission from cancer, but they Never Follow Through - asking the patient what they did!!! So this author does ask, interviewing over 1,000 people who have experienced recovery from cancer though their doctors expected them to die. Each chapter describes one of the 9 factors that come up the most, with many engaging personal stories, and an in-depth account of one person's experience for each chapter/factor. A book that so needed to be written.
Profile Image for Jenny.
451 reviews1 follower
August 18, 2018
There was a lot of great information pulled from many sources that would benefit cancer patients and I found myself highlighting many things I want to go back and read later. After interviewing so many patients Dr turner highlighted the 9 things that came up in each one of her interviews as helping the patient recover from cancer. That said, many of the case studies in each chapter rubbed me the wrong way and I skipped over a lot of them. It is a great book though to remind us the importance of diet, using supplements, embracing social support, etc and it is empowering when we take charge of our health.
8 reviews
May 5, 2020
Don't waste your time!
Kelly A. Turner waffles on for hundreds of pages what she could have wasted easily have the paper and ink on.
In parts deeply esoteric (nonsense). It was hard to read through all the pages and not to toss the book in a corner. She didn't write anything enlightenling. A bit of common sense will tell you the same things.
I seriously dislike the way she is trying to coin a new phrase. 'Radical remission' is an aggressive term for approaches that are often times less aggressive than the ones suggested by the doctors of the patients. Smells to much of self-adoration.
February 13, 2020
Intrigued by premise, which is to find common factors among patients who experienced radical remissions from cancer. However, there were so many such factors, and so many patients used so many of these, and they are so prevalent among people who are also well, that it stretches the credibility to imagine that any one stands out as leading to cure.
480 reviews1 follower
June 28, 2020
I didn't find this very scientific, but I found it inspiring at the same time. It was cool to read about how people beat the odds by changing their lives to do so. It minimally conveys the facts that cancer patients should never listen to the odds and try to find healthy changes in their lives to make.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 189 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.