Start by marking “The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100” as Want to Read:
The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100

The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100

Best-selling author Dan Buettner debuts his first cookbook, filled with 100 longevity recipes inspired by the Blue Zones locations around the world, where people live the longest.

Building on decades of research, longevity guru Dan Buettner has gathered 100 recipes inspired by the Blue Zones, home to the healthiest and happiest communities in the world. Each dish--for
Published December 3rd 2019 by National Geographic Society

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Zones Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Zones Kitchen

Start your review of The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100
Sharon Gilpin
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made a list of all the ingredients that are used by the various areas of Blue Zone. And I have started making several of the recipes. All are so good--so far.
They are all high in protein and NO meat. One of my favorite cookbooks for sure.
Briana
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blue Zones Kitchen includes recipes from the so-called “blue zones,” areas where the residents (particularly older ones who adhere to the more traditional diets) live longer than anywhere else on Earth, largely because of what they eat.

I’ve tried three of the recipes—roasted vegetables, sweet potato tarts, and a ratatouille—and all were approachable and included ingredients I was easily able to find at my local grocery store (some ingredients might be a little tougher). The sweet potato tart
Kathleen
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great cookbook. Simple recipes with very few and very simple ingredients. The book is divided, very interestingly, into the blue zone areas with the corresponding recipes (instead of by meal type). Some ingredients might be harder to find depending on where you live.
Karista Bennett
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been intrigued by the subject of The Blue Zones, so when this book released, I had to have it. Beautifully written with lovely photos and loaded with information and inspiration. Not only is it filled with recipes but also the most delightful stories. A great read!
Antonette
Thought I'd enjoy it since I'd read Blue Zones and loved it...not the case. Very disappointed in the recipes. They were full of ingredients that should not be included in whole food plant based eating, i.e. white sugar, white flour and white rice. In addition, they seemed to include items regular grocery stores in smaller cities would not have. It was a Christmas gift that will now be returned.
Crystal
The Blue Zones Kitchen is a lovely cookbook, with recipes that sound delicious, and is a worthy addition to the Blue Zones library. The cover is striking. The recipes manage to be both healthful and delicious (sounding, haven't tried any of them yet). And the sections on each Blue Zone region, complete with lovely food, people, and scenery photography, interviews, regional history and culture, and versions of local recipes are all fascinating. There ARE a lot of recipes that contain gluten, many ...more
Cindy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book , great recipes!!
Di Richardson
This books is getting a lot of hype right now. The narrative is compelling, and the the photos are gorgeous! It is bright, and glossy, and really a beautiful book. So why only three stars? Well, almost every recipe in this book seemed to be centered around chickpeas or sweet potatoes, and those just happen to be two veggies I really do not like. I am willing to include them once in a while, but I am just never going to center my diet around those two foods, so for me, this just isn’t going to be ...more
Esther King
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than just a cookbook, this provided overviews of the parts of the world where living to 100 is not a miracle but instead expected. The recipes involved are all plant based and provide reasoning as to why they are so important for a healthy diet. They’re largely simple and look pretty darn delicious, and are well worth a try. Some of the ingredients are a little left of field for some readers so keep it in mind that there may be some difficulties with sourcing.
Debra
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie-reads
It's been a whilesince I have participated in aTLC Book Tour. My last stopover was for The Art of Escapism Cooking all the way back in October. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to receive a copy ofThe Blue Zones Kitchen for an honest review. (As always, all opinions and rants are my own.)

I've been intrigued by the whole Blue Zones phenomenon for a while now so I was excited to receive a copy of The Blue Zones Kitchen. It's a beautiful book, full of National Geographic quality photographs,
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100 by Dan Buettner is a cook book / travel book which publishes recipes from the worlds Blue Zone locations around the world. Mr. Buettner is a National Geographic fellow and bestselling author.

I have always had interest in the world’s Blue Zones, frankly I don’t understand who wouldn’t. Blue Zones are geographical areas around the world in which people average longer and
Martina
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even a moderately competent cook, and likely won't use many of the recipes in this book. However, I bought-- and I love -- this book for the inspiration it provides (through beautiful photographs and text) to live a good and healthy life, and to savor the local foods in season as nourishing treasures. In many ways, this is not so much a cook book, as a wonderful centering and rejuvenating trip around the world, visiting with wise and joyful people as they celebrate the abundance and ...more
CJ Katz
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great stuff here, especially if you're looking to improve your health and introduce more plant foods into your diet. Beans are the cornerstone of Blue Zone eating and a majority of recipes in the book include legumes of some sort. I love the overview of each zone and how the book is divided into the Zones. Look for additional bits of info scattered throughout the recipes sections, including the pictoral overview of the foods defining each Zone at the end of the book. Now I'm off to make ...more
Robin
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great pictures. Interesting, delicious, recipes. I love this kind of simple, plant-based food. I haven't tried any of the Okinawan recipes, perhaps because they don't seem as accessible to me. Tonight's dinner - cabbage with sun-dried tomato, from Sardinia, with a glass of red wine, yum! My only criticism: I firmly believe a cookbook is only as good as its index, and this book has none.
Jean Wiseman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully illustrated cookbook features plant-based recipes from the Blue Zones. Some of the recipes featured ingredients that would be difficult to acquire in my small town. The recipes I tried were easy, delicious, and healthy. This book has to go back to the library tomorrow, but I am considering purchasing my own copy.
Mackay
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
An unexpected gift from a friend. While I don't want to live to be 100, I am endeavoring to eat in a way that lightens my personal impact on the planet - less meat (and that ethically raised and slaughtered), more plant-based mains, etc. This is a beautiful book with some interesting things to say, lavishly illustrated and full of good ideas. Worthwhile.
Laura Cason
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book! I enjoyed the photos as much as the recipes. I tried a few of the smoothie recipes and am looking forward to trying some of the cold pasta salad recipes in the summertime.

It was a visually, stunning and also fun read.
Diane
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful photos and interesting read, all most like a travel journal with insights into the culture and lifestyles in each of these "zones". Have only tired one recipe so far but will definitely be trying more.
Terri
Jan 26, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is book is a thing of beauty and inspiration! I have it sitting by my favorite chair and pick it up when I have a few minutes several times a day to browse and read. So informative and inspiring! Highly recommended!
Michelle
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
This was a lot more practical than I thought it was going to be. I think the recipes in the section for the Okinawan diet are going to be the hardest to pull off in a Midwestern kitchen. But a lot of the rest is very possible here.
Sherry
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, many recipes used ingredients common in that region but not so much in my area. I did not feel excited to try any of recipes which is a hallmark of a good cookbook in my opinion.
Jackie Selles
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this cookbook so much I bought a copy.
Evelyn
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational—beautifully photographed.
Victoria
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written and photographed recipe book that honors the ingredients used in the “Blue Zone” areas where many of the inhabitants live to be 100 or older.
Kimberly
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good I plan on buying it, and I rarely buy cookbooks.
Jillybb
I don’t know what I expected but this blend of cooking and tourism didn’t work for me.
Carrie Weber
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cannot wait to research more about the Blue Zones and get involved.
Kim
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Beautiful book! Lovely photos on most every page, just enough introduction to each Blue Zone region, wonderful recipes. Great addition to my Blue Zones library shelf!
Brenda Williams
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very informative book. Bought it for my own kitchen!
Elizabeth
Interesting— but fueled my travel dreams more than my cooking goals.

• Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • Regretting You
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • Body Love Every Day: Choose Your Life-Changing 21-Day Path to Food Freedom
  • Merry and Bright
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • A Time to Die (One Last Wish, #1)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • 61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14)
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
  • One Hundred Wisdom Stories
  • The Redeemer (Harry Hole, #6)
National Geographic Explorer Dan Buettner has traveled the globe to uncover the best strategies for longevity.