Start by marking “May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer” as Want to Read:
May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer

May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer

Combining prayers in two languages--words and images--this contemporary prayer guide will help you spend time in conversation with God.

As people of faith, we all struggle at times to sustain a flourishing prayer life--a loss felt all the more keenly in these times of confusion, political turbulence, and global calamity. This unique book offers a timeless solution for the s
Published September 24th 2019 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about May It Be So, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May It Be So

Start your review of May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer
Raymond
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a quick read. Four of the prayers have stuck with me and I have recorded them into my commonplace book.

"May I offer help far more readily and joyfully than I offer criticism"

"May I learn to offer my whole self as a gift to those around me rather than leverage my gifts for personal gain"

"May I never let my fear of being afraid keep me from facing darkness in or around me"

"May I have room for guilt to convict me without letting shame define me"

*I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from NetGal
Karis
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! So, I really, really enjoyed this deeply engaging devotional. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the book, but I was quite delighted by what I found.

The basic layout of the book:
*A short devotional, often an event or happening from the author’s life, over a line of the Lord’s Prayer

-This devotional would always end with several probing questions that forced me as a reader to evaluate areas of my life and apply the message of the devotional.
-Honestly, with growing up in a Christian home
Lauren Paletta
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite artist/author duos!! I read their first book prayer after I purchased it from a Christian coffee shop in Chandler, Arizona on vacation to visit my grandparents (which is my husband, brother and I's favorite coffee shop hands down). I have been following them ever since on social media. Great artwork! Great writing! Just absolutely fabulous work! RECOMMEND!!
#Netgalley
#Prayer
#Mayitbeso
Chattynatty Van Waning
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Thanks to WaterBrook for sending me this book to review. @WaterbrookMultnomah#Partner. I really enjoyed the "Before you Begin" part of this book and underlined/highlighted quite a bit. I appreciated the different types of prayer they highlighted in this book- all based around the Lord's Prayer: Guided Prayer, Contemplative Imagery, Meditations. This book could be read in one sitting or used as a daily devotional for 40 days. Themes/Chapters in this book are based on lines from the Lord's Prayer. ...more
Claudia
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
May It Be So. This little book is a forty-day journey in praying the pattern of the Lord’s Prayer. It is divided into week-long sections that focus on praying in the pattern/theme of each phrase of the Lord’s Prayer. It contains Guided Prayers, Contemplative Imagery, Meditations (short stories that reflect something the authors gleaned from this particular section of the Lord’s Prayer), and Suggested Practices (ways to apply the insights that the week’s images and prayers have brought to you).

Ma
Martha
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some wonderful quotes in this. My rating: 4.5 of 5.0.

There are gems in this devotional based on The Lord’s Prayer.
There are forty prayers shared with sometimes a drawing, sometimes a story that gives wisdom and faith that serve to direct mediation. The authors describe the work as:

…a piece of art.
…an act of love.
…a redemptive tool.
…a resource.
…designed to stir, inform and inspire.
…it is not ‘content’.

The goal is to encourage an ongoing conversation between the reader and God.
I th
Patrick Willis
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a VERY short book. You could easily read it within an hour if you wanted to read the whole thing. It's purpose is to be a 40-day discipline utilizing the Lord's Prayer as an anchor, to explore both prayer and your own relationship, both with God and others. There are many prayers that are in this book that have stuck with me and I'm planning on encouraging college students in the campus ministry with them this year. Every prayer is super short, but will challenge you to meditate on what ...more
Katie Fischer
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I expected something a little different from the book. Based on the subtitle, I had anticipated 40 days of devotions/meditations that dig deep into the Lord's Prayer. The book is actually 40 short (1 sentence), guided prayers that each include a related image. The author does include seven meditations, spread throughout the book, that each look at a section of the Lord's Prayer.

While I would like to have dug a bit more into the Lord's Prayer itself, I did enjoy many of the daily guided
Leah
Review shortly.
Marilyn Diamond
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book emphasizing how to pray "The Lord's Prayer." Illustrations and motivation. Fast paced and quick read. If you wish to know how to pray, pray The Lord's Prayer. Clearly defined. ...more
Alida Thomas
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These books are to be experienced as much as they are to be "read". This book - in its invitation and its art and its way of drawing me into contemplation and worship was a deep deep gift. ...more
Liberty
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-genres
"May I be surrounded by loved ones who remind me who I am when I forget.
I will forget.
May my memory be a gift to those I love, helping them remember themselves when they forget.
They will forget."

Some of the prayers in this book hit me hard.
Lizbeth
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a digital advanced copy of this book from NetGalley.com and the publisher WaterBrook & Multnomah.

The authors have assembled a collection of devotions and prayers based on the Lord's Prayer. While doctrinally unsound, the prayers, illustrations and the anecdotes from the authors make praying easy. Unfortunately, they simplify the act of prayer and do not touch on when prayer becomes uncomfortable. Sometimes talking to God isn't easy or comfortable.

May It Be So is an adequate introduc
Erin A Epps
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. It was a struggle to connect to the message being conveyed. True, I read this in a week instead of the full 40 days recommended... Maybe if I read it again slowly it will speak more deeply to me. But for right now I am underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Becky Van Daniker
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Full review coming soon.
Conny Reviews
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
“Prayer, at its heart, is about the love of God. May it be that nothing, including prayer, stands in the way of your knowing that love,” the introduction states in Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson’s book, May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord’s Prayer

~ What ~
At one-hundred-and-twenty-eight pages, this paperback devotional targets those who want to focus on the famous Lord’s prayer and how it can impact relationships connecting with God. Using mainly the New International Version of the Holy
Joanne Viola
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lord’s Prayer is one we are all familiar with, and often, familiarity can rob us from the depth of meaning which God wants to speak into our hearts.

In their book, May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord’s Prayer, Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson, slow us down to take note of each line in the prayer.

Combining words and images, they take this familiar prayer which Jesus spoke and have brought us to forty one line prayers to think on over the course of forty days.

When the disciples asked Jesu
Jacob Marriott
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was selected to be on the launch team for this book, so when I sat down to read it I initially decided to read through it like a regular book even though it is meant as a sort of devotional. I plan on going back through the book and read it as it was meant to be read.

This book is hard to put into words. I find that many books about prayer teach you all the author's thoughts and practices and things that help them in their prayer life. This did none of those things. It included 40 prayers for
Barb
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the concept of May It Be So, but I am not so sure about the execution. May it be so is the meaning of the word Amen and I think that's a cool title for a book about the Lord's Prayer. This book is a prayer guide to the Lord's Prayer from Luke 11.

When Jesus taught his disciples (and us) to pray by giving them the Lord's Prayer, he said, "This is HOW (emphasis mine) to pray." He didn't say this is WHAT to pray. So, he didn't mean we must pray those exact words but use the ideas/concepts in
Anne Rightler
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
May It Be So written by Justin McRoberts and illustrated by Scott Erickson is a book meant to encourage the reader to a more meaningful conversational relationship with God. It is laid out with 40 very short prayers, each paired with a contemplative image, which are intended to be read daily. The ultimate goal of the book seems to be that the prayers will help the reader recognize that he or she is loved by God, is indeed beloved by God. I read it much more quickly than the 40 days but with a pl ...more
Amanda Anger
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, prayer, launch-team
This is one of the most unique books on prayer that I've read, in that it's less of a book to read and more of a guide to pray. To be honest, my first impression was one of disappointment that there was so little to read and so much empty space. But as I immersed myself in it daily, I see clearly why this book has been more influential in my prayer life than other prayer guides have been. And that is simply because of the open space allowed for meditation and prayer. Each day's reading is a spri ...more
Monica
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer by Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson is a prayer guide of a different sort. This guide combines images and words about and from the Lord's Prayer to give the user a way to find meaning and spiritual clarity through ongoing language with God.

May It Be So is different than any other prayer book that I have read before. I especially found the "Before you begin" section helpful. The authors have another similar book that they previously published, bu
Andrew
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In May It Be So, Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson explored the Lord’s prayer in this new book for 40 days. The disciples asked Jesus how they should pray and Jesus told them the Lord’s prayer. This prayer discusses God’s kingdom and how we should pray for His will to be done on Earth as it is also in Heaven, our daily bread, forgiveness, and staying away from temptations. Throughout the book, they discussed the different sections of the prayer and included a few days’ worth of prayers focused ...more
Curtis
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that I have read that I open the page and think "I sure how this is worth the money". These are those books that have about 120 pages, multiple blank pages between chapters, and a font that looks like it is 20+ in size and more apt to be labeled as LARGE Print.

If one doesn't come to this book seeking to change inwardly then this book might go on that list. Not for large font... but many of the days might only have 1 sentence and a picture. This book is meant to engage you wi
Connie Saunders
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
May I soberly remember that people will someday tell stories about the life I lived. And may that change the way I live between then and now. (Prayer 6)

This is just one of many short prayers that can be found in a new book by Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson. May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer is their unique look at the beloved prayer found in Matthew 6:9-13 and they combine text and illustrations to give readers a new perspective.

The Lord's Prayer is referred to as the model pr
Create With Joy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you feeling battle-weary and in need of rest? If so, then May It Be So is the perfect companion for to prepare you for a time of refreshing from the Lord!

This short book provides us with the opportunity to reflect on various aspects of the Lord’s prayer, line by line, without insisting that we pray in a certain way. The unique features you’ll find inside of May It Be So include:

* 40 Days Of Heartfelt, One-Line Prayers To Reflect Upon
* Contemplative Imagery To Meditate Upon
* Devotional-like M
Hayley
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first opened this book and thumbed through the first few pages I was intrigued. I received an advanced copy from Waterbrook & Multnomah and these are my own personal thoughts.

The artistic nature of this book was not like any devotion or study I have read before. And as I started to read I realized that this was an impactful way to study the Lord's prayer. I admit I was skeptical but as I turned each page it drew me in and as I finished I am happily fulfilled with it's entirety. It's medit
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lord's Prayer taught to us by Jesus and recorded in Matthew chapter 6 verses 9-13 is His response to the disciples request to be taught how to pray. Justin McRobert's and Scott Erickson's book, May It Be So, is a 40-day study to contemplate your life, loves and how God is in, and around all the parts of life. I received an advanced reader's copy of May It Be So from Waterbrook & Multnomah as a member of the Launch Team for an honest review.

The book is designed to enhance prayer life and unde
Anna Tan
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best thing about this book is that each thought is really bite-sized. It's not really one that sets out to "teach" you something, but one that asks you to reflect on something. Most of the thoughts are a short prayer or a picture. In between, there are longer pieces/anecdotes that tease out a thought or reflection from a line in the Lord's Prayer.

I didn't actually take that long to read it. I have the unfortunate habit of rushing things through--and that's where the downside of this book is
Chandra
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced reader copy from the publisher in return for my honest review. These are my thoughts and opinions about the book "May It Be So" by Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson.

When I first received this book, I was excited because I live reading about prayer, and I'm always open to learning more about it.

The book is rather small, and most of the pages have a short, one- sentence prayer on them with a picture on the accompanying page. It was a very quick and easy read, although it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Honest Advent: Awakening to the Wonder of God-with-Us Then, Here, and Now
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • Dusk, Night, Dawn: On Revival and Courage
  • Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion
  • Share Your Stuff. I'll Go First.: 10 Questions to Take Your Friendships to the Next Level
  • Reading in Bed
  • I've Seen the End of You: A Neurosurgeon's Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know
  • That Sounds Fun: The Joys of Being an Amateur, the Power of Falling in Love, and Why You Need a Hobby
  • Dear Grandchild, This Is Me
  • The Jesus Who Surprises: Opening Our Eyes to His Presence in All of Life and Scripture
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Double Blessing: How to Get It. How to Give It.
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Free to Believe: The Battle Over Religious Liberty in America
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • Every Moment Holy
  • Native: Identity, Belonging, and Rediscovering God
  • Try Softer: A Fresh Approach to Move Us out of Anxiety, Stress, and Survival Mode--and into a Life of Connection and Joy
I am the author of three books. A celebration of relationship entitled “CMYK: The Process of Life Together,” (2012) a look at my creative process, called “Title Pending: Things I Think About When I Make Stuff” (2014) and a reflective prayer guide, entitled “Prayer: 40 Days of Practice” (2016). I have also recorded 15 musical project since 1999.

I create in order provide language for the process of

News & Interviews