Start by marking “The Art of Happy Moving: How to Declutter, Pack, and Start Over While Maintaining Your Sanity and Finding Happiness” as Want to Read:

A comprehensive, upbeat guide to help you survive the moving process from start to finish, filled with fresh strategies and checklists for timing and supplies, choosing which items to toss and which to keep, determining the best place to live, saying farewell and looking forward to hello.

Moving is a major life change-time consuming, expensive, often overwhelmin
Audio CD
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Happy Moving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Happy Moving

Start your review of The Art of Happy Moving: How to Declutter, Pack, and Start Over While Maintaining Your Sanity and Finding Happiness
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
"The average American moves 11.7 times in a lifetime..." As a military brat, I've moved a lot more than this and sometimes several times in a single year. And Ali is right, every time you move can be an opportunity to start all over again... and thank goodness for that. I remember one time as a kid that I didn't even care if I made friends since I knew I'd just be moving again soon. On top of all of this, except for moving from apartment to apartment at an obnoxious rate within the same city for ...more
Brooke
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading Wenzke's book, not just about moving but about choosing a happy path in life and making that life a reality. Wenzke's book offers tons of practical advice on moving but it also reminds you to be gentle with yourself, thoughtful with your decisions, and most importantly to laugh along the way! Wenzke's happy-go-lucky voice cheers you on throughout the pages, reminds you of all the little things you don't want to forget, and makes you feel like you have a friend even when you may fee ...more
Tiffany
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is The Best book I’ve read this year (it’s number 40ish) I’m a book lover and this book is BEAUTIFUL, funny and super helpful. I listened to it first, and the narrator is a gem. Super energetic and positive and drew me in. The checklists are thorough and fantastic for someone feeling super overwhelmed with the idea of a move after living in the same place for over 10 years and with 2 elementary age children (who LOVE all the things. Everything sparks joy for them). I find Ali to have amazin ...more
Natalie S
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and organized, as well as humorous and fun. Definitly makes the idea of moving less stressful.
Annika Larson
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of really good advice
Kimberly Gabriel
I wasn't expecting it, but I felt so connected while reading this book. The narrator's voice is light, relatable, and funny at times, which pulled me right in. Then, of course, it's filled with recommendations, how to's, and check lists- everything you need but might not think of when it comes to moving and decluttering. I have always hated moving and get easily overwhelmed by decluttering, but this book helps both seem manageable.
E. Mellyberry
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I didn't move a lot when I was young, definitely not as many as Ali did, but I can relate to the stress and the cost of moving. I didn't make any list when I moved (wish I did). I didn't have the positive and merry atitude before, during, and after the move (nobody taught me. Where were you, Ali, when I needed you the most?😂).
This book talked about all that, and since Ali wrote it from her own personal experiences, her advice came out warm and genuine. Seriously, it's like having your BFF
Kara LeNoir
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that this book is about moving-one of the worst things to do-this book was a delight to read! It was very engaging; I felt like I was having a conversation with the author herself! I also appreciated the step by step breakdown of how to organize a move, and I plan to utilize her checklists in the months ahead as we prepare for our move. Highly recommend this book for anyone moving or thinking about moving!
Morven
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent book on those considering a move. You're probably thinking "Why do I need a book?" You don't, but it'll be a lot easier and a lot less stressful if you read hers.

Good resource for those thinking of moving, especially if you're moving a house and family. Covers a little bit of everything, even for apartment dwellers.

Recommended.
Nikki Costopoulos Circolone
Love this book! The Art of Happy Moving was a joy to read. Ali Wenzke is the Marie Kondo of moving. It’s filled with amusing stories from an experienced mover, helpful tips and fun quizzes. Next time I move, I will be much more prepared. Makes a great gift for anyone considering a move.
Amy Jayasuriya
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was super informative and had some out of the box tips and ideas I hadn't thought of. It was thorough. I laughed when I read 'beware, they will ask for a puppy'...but no. lie. They asked for a dog in the exact conversation. I couldn't believe it.
Chris
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many good hints! Made copies of many of the pages/checklists. Feel like I'm on time with my move.
Sailor
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I appreciated how much ground this book actually covered. A nice and comforting read before or during a move
Mary
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is a weird size and shape and some of the pages are physically difficult to read because of the text. However, it does a great job of looking at moving from dreaming through making new friends in your new home. Great blend of practical action and thoughtful planning.
Andjelka Jankovic
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really practical, personal and light reading guide to moving. I totally agree that however long you think that packing and selling your life will take — add 50% more time.
Kimberly
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tips for moving and/or decluttering.
Brett
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend The Art of Happy Moving for anybody who is moving or thinking of moving. Moving is stressful, and most books and articles about moving are so dry, but Wenzke’s warmth and humor made this enjoyable to read.
Miss B. Haven Books
I expected more about logistics of packing for a move.
Barbara
Parts of this book were really helpful to me...particularly picturing what I really need and want in my next home.
Kari
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really a great read. I felt better about how we handled our two moves in the last year and gained some great tips on how to make our new house into feeling like our home.
Melissa McGowan
This is a good book for a younger than me reader who is moving for the first time or moving to another city.
Lauren  Tomlinson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and practical. Has a wide range of moving advice.
Chirine
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, inspiring, and seriously funny! This book is a must read to anyone contemplating a move. It’s full of tips and useful ideas about what to do and what to avoid — from staging home, classifying priorities, talking to children, preparing pets etc... all offered in a positive, upbeat, even hilarious format to alleviate the stress associated with moving, packing, and transitioning in general. This book is delightful.
Jch
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information but I struggled with the faint printing on white, but especially on colored, pages. A little more ink wouldn't have cost very much to make the whole thing more readable !
Jen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book and really enjoyed the content. Now I feel more confident for my next move.
Tracy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book on moving. If you haven't moved before, this will help you. If you have moved many times, it will be a rehash of what you know. It does have nice checklists in the appendix.
Taylor Crawford
Very helpful during my move. I moved in with my partner and this was very specific about what and how to keep it
Melissa
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book would make a wonderful gift for any couple or individual who is planning on moving in the near future or a great purchase for yourself if you have a move coming up. It has practical advice on how to do everything from looking for the ideal city to packing to making arrangements for your pets on the day of a move. Ali talks with an honesty that is refreshing and you feel like she is your friend talking to you through the pages. Easy to read in one or two sittings if you are in a hurry b ...more
Angel
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've moved houses several times in my life. The advice in this book is solid. It helps you think about all stages of moving from preparing your current home for sale through finding your perfect new house, to packing to move and making a positive move to your new location
Debbie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you plan on moving and have kids, or your selling your house, buy a copy. If your move is more low key, get a copy from the library. Sure, you can get most of this information online, but having it on hand will help with checklists and things you might forget until the last minute.
Ali Wenzke is the creator of the blog The Art of Happy Moving. After a decade of numerous moves, she is now happily settled in the Chicago suburbs with her husband, three children, and a secret stash of chocolate chip cookies. She doesn't plan on moving any time soon. THE ART OF HAPPY MOVING is her first book.