Start by marking “Along the Tapajós” as Want to Read:
Along the Tapajós

Along the Tapajós

Cauã and Inaê are a brother and sister who live in a small community along the Tapajós River in Brazil. Here, the homes are on stilts and everyone travels around by boat—even to school! When the rainy season comes, they must leave their village and relocate to higher ground for a while. But after moving this year, Cauã and Inaê realize they’ve left behind something importa ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Amazon Crossing Kids

Start your review of Along the Tapajós
Lynn
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice Illustrations

The book is disappointing her if it's clunky writing. It's really bad. The illustrations are good though and I would like to learn more of these Amazon people.
Goth Gone Grey
Beautifully illustrated, lovely story

It's 5 am, I'm wide awake, and it's the first of the month. Kindle First, Prime First... by any other name, it's a free book - two this month!

Weary of current events, sorrows, politics and such, a children's book looks like a delightful, refreshing choice. And it is.

With vivid illustrations that show a world away from mine, this was so enjoyable that I read it once and went back to just look at the images again. It shows children - well, and not-so-chil
Joyce
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful art and introduction to ither cultures

I received this book as part of Amazon's first reads and have never been so pleasantly surprised with my choice to write a review. The illustrations are beautiful and I love that it is a book that introduces childrens and adults alike to havs a glimpse into life in a different part of the world. I shouldve known it existed but was was so stunned and utterly impressed how much this hot colorful world with dangerous animals came to life for me on th
Lori
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story about persons living along the Tapajós River system who must move when the rainy season arrives each winter. In this story, they forget their pet turtle, and the children sneak out one night to retrieve the turtle from the now flooded village. They encounter an anaconda. The illustrations were okay but not outstanding. (3.5 stars)
Valerie
I read this book for the ATY 2019 Reading Challenge Week 23: Something Old

The Tapajos is a tributary of the Amazon River. This children's story tells what it is like to live along a river that is relatively dry in the summer. In the winter it rises 16 feet due to the constant rainfall. What happens to the family and the village in the winter? You might be surprised.
Denise Hershberger
Great illustrations and story

This was a beautifully illustrated book. I loved the Portuguese in it and how it educates readers about seasons and animals in Brazil on the Amazon!
Melissa Kapadia
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very beautiful book.
Anna
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The ending feels a little anticlimactic, but the story and images are very vivid! Fascinating to see the Amazonian rainforest as it switches into the rainy season.
Baby Bookworm
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Along The Tapajós by Fernando Vilela, translated by Daniel Hahn, a riveting tale of riverside life in the Amazon.

Cauã, our narrator, and his little sister Inaê wake in their stilt home on the Tapajós River in Brazil, one of the largest in the Amazon rainforest. They eat breakfast with their parents, then head to school by motorboat. Along the way, they “play” with the alligators and remark on a pries
Christy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Along the Tapajós is a book that give kids a glimpse into other cultures without being boring! Children know the difference between a book that is filled with facts and one that is fun with facts sprinkled throughout. I’ll bet you can guess which ones most kids like best. If this book had been available when I had little ones, this would have been on our shelves. And, it would have been one I would enjoy reading to them.

Along the Tapajós introduced me to a river I’d
Thumbnail That
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a unique book about the life experience of families living along the Tapajós River in Brazil. Having to take a boat to school will seem so far fetched to students in the States but is intriguing. It will likely be a conversation starter for your classroom. I felt enlightened after reading it and have a new appreciation for the lives of families who live in the Amazon. This book can easily blend into science and social studies too. I love the multi-point approach that a teacher or homesc ...more
Shannon Allen
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative yet missing a story-story

This is a good book to tell about the lifestyle of the children who live along the Amazonian River, but it lacks true storytelling feeling.

There was a storyline with two siblings traveling to and from school and experiencing a sudden change in season. There were different points where cultural references were made and explained. Stories that had been passed down through elders were briefly referenced and used in the plot.

Even though this
Aeicha
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fernando Vilela’s Along The Tapajos is a gorgeously rendered picture book that will take readers on a thrilling and captivating journey to an unfamiliar part of the world: the rainforest along the Tapajos River.

Through charming, exciting storytelling, the dangerous, yet mesmerizing lives and rescue mission carried out by a brother sister team, burst off every page. Vilela skillfully and beautifully brings this wondrous rainforest world, and all its people; animals; and sights, to life through h
Abby Johnson
Life among the Tapajos, a river connected to the Amazon, is much different than life inland. Caua and Inae get to school by boat, watch out for crocodiles, and have to move with their family once the winter rains set in. But this year when their family moves downriver and inland, Caua realizes that they forgot to bring their pet tortoise Titi - can they save her? This is an engaging story about life in a rural community that's very different from life in America. Young travelers will be fascinat ...more
Yare Espinoza
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I really enjoyed the book, especially the illustrations which is one of the reasons that I gave this book 4 Stars.

The book follows the lives of two siblings who live in a village by the Tapajós River in Brazil. Because of the flooding that happens during the winter, they move to higher ground until the winter is over. During the move they accidentally forget there pet tortoise Titi, and they decided that since there parents would not go back for Titi, they would brave the Tapaj
Caroline Dube
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This cute picture book follows two siblings as they leave their rainforest village and go to higher ground. They realize their beloved turtle did not make the trip and they are worried. Adventure awaits these children.

This book was a small peak into the life of children in the Amazon Rainforest. The book ends with factual information to give background to the story. I feel this story ends abruptly, but it does seem suitable to add to lessons in school where younger children maybe lea
Juliana
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This children's book about the Tapajos is both educational and entertaining. The illustrations are gorgeous and take up most of the page. It's clear that the author did their research, which is impressive for such a short little children's book. I liked it the story even though I think some parts could have been drawn out a little more. It's a good book for teaching kids about places they may have never heard of before.
Hathor
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I was expecting too much but I was disappointed by this children's book both by the drawings and the writing. When I think of the children's books that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading as a child and then later to my child this does not get into the top 20. The drawings I found to be lacklustre and the story line was more telling you how it is rather than guiding you to use your imagination.
Tiffany
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Tapajós River in Brazil. I got this as a prime first reads. The artwork is beautiful. I don't have a lot of knowledge of Brazil, but it was interesting to see how the village on the river must evacuate during the rainy season. It might have been a beautiful, children's but it was educational, easy to understand and a fun read.
Emmanuelle Works
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated picture book for the younger set. Charming, simple, exciting story perfectly introducing life along the banks of an Amazonian river. Even as an adult I learned things I didn't realize, didn't even imagine. My kids are older, 12 years-old, so I will give it to them to read, then make sure to donate it to my library. Some books need to be shared.
Vicki
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Instead of sifting through articles on the metro, I decided to take mental break and read this.
The story was wholesome and the illustrations were beautiful.
So worth it.

My only complaint is that I wish the story were longer. So sad that, after 5 minutes of reading, it was all over.
I will read more novels from Fernando in the future.
lynn williams
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant and informative

This was a good Read Aloud book for young children. Older kids would also enjoy this. The children, in the story, had an adventure but they were motivated by concern for their pet. Excellent illustrations. This title would be a good intro for a Social Studies lesson on Brazil/ Amazon/ Rainforest.
Susan M
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely Journey

This story floats us through a magical place in the Amazon, a river trip described through children's eyes. The colors and textures of the prints illustrate the journey perfectly. This story is a gem for those who are interested in reading about the places and ways of people far away. But it shows how alike all children, everywhere, can be. Lovely.
Emily Swope Campbell
Questionable ending

The story had a reasonable plot. It explains the reason for having to relocate twice a year. Perhaps giving an ending where the parents show concern when the children get back would clarify that running off to get a pet is not the best choice.
antoinette phillips
It was beautiful art,a well written story,for kids and cool adults,....I was impressed that the whole village moved and began anew

With Prime,the cost as was low and affordable! Read it for yourself, and read it to a young person...a pleasant book indeed.
Brooklee
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informational and entertaining

I love how it was written from a kids perspective, but still teaching you about their customs and ways. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my kids.
Michele Benchouk
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely evocative illustrations

This short children's book is full of illustrations that, while simple, evoke the local flair and make you feel like you are there on the banks of the river. I never knew that there were semi nomadic people like this.
David
Fun and interesting

A fun look at life in the Amazon rain Forrest. The pictures are evocative and the text simple. As part of our reading around the world, I enjoyed the children’s book and perspective.
Arifa Ebrahim
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and illustrations

My three year old loved listening to this story, and especially looking at and pointing out the different animals illustrated. We read the kindle edition, it was awesome!
Shirine Layton
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful Tale

This book is a joy to read. The illustrations are beautiful and engaging. I would like to see more from this author and the illustrator telling more about what life is like in that part of the world.
« previous 1 3 next »
Around the Year i...: Along the Tapajos, by Fernando Vilela 1 6 Sep 30, 2019 10:34AM

• A Tiger Like Me
  • This Book Is Gray
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • Spiky
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
  • A Crazy-Much Love
  • Pippa's Night Parade
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Just Because
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Astro Girl
  • The Donkey Egg
  • Sharon, Lois and Bram's Skinnamarink
  • My Brontosaur Has Vanished
  • Mac and Cheese
  • Duck on a Disco Ball
  • The GayBCs
Fernando Vilela nasceu em São Paulo, em 1973. É artista plástico, designer, escritor e ilustrador de livros, além de professor. Autor de 16 livros para crianças e jovens, ilustrou mais de 60 para editoras nacionais e estrangeiras, tendo recebido o Prêmio Jabuti 3 vezes. Como artista plástico, participou de mostras no Brasil e no exterior e seus trabalhos constam de importantes coleções de museus c ...more