Start by marking “Wayfarer” as Want to Read:
Wayfarer

Wayfarer

In this heroic gaslamp fantasy, superhuman abilities bring an adventurous new dimension to 1820 London, where an outlaw speedster and a master of illusion do battle to decide who will own the city.

Think being a superhero is hard? Try being the first one.

Will’s life is a proper muddle—and all because he was “accidentally” inflicted with the ability to run faster and leap hi
Published 2018 by PenForASword Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wayfarer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wayfarer

Start your review of Wayfarer
Hope Ann
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. The theme was amazing, especially the climax of it.
Paul Willis
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was definitely intense like Wyland's other novels. I was riveted and read it in a relatively short time.

The author did a great job making every setting feel real. London was grimy, the country was fair but poor, the pickpockets were unsavory. I believed the cruel men, that they were really evil.

The main character, Will, was a bit of a pragmatist, to begin with. His mind was focused on a select few goals, and nothing was going to stop him. This is where the messages come in. They were
Jenna
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH. MY. GOODNESS.
As a superhero fan, I absolutely LOVED this book! Weiland made it so vivid and had such a realistic historical voice for the time period. I fell in love with all the characters (love little Rose!) and this story will definitely be one I'll remember.
Merie Shen
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! KM Weiland did not disappoint in her latest novel, which is also the first fiction book from her that I've read. I know that I'll be reading her other works now because of how well-written and engaging this one was.

Wayfarer tells the story of Will Hardy, a blacksmith's apprentice who has accidentally ended up with superpowers. Despite the label "superhero" in the premise of this book, the story lacks the sci-fi-ish feel of your typical superhero tale-- fitting to say the l
Josiah
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Superheroes in Victorian times is a pretty cool premise, and I was waiting for this book to come out for a while. The story had some creative use of superpowers and some good twists, but I wasn't sure if it really needed to be 500 pages. I would have preferred the beginning of the story to be more streamlined and the prose as a whole to be crisper and less wordy. Apart from that, I liked the symbolism in the heroes' powers and it had some good character work.

Rating: 3.5-4 Stars (Good).
Lukasz
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love superheroes. Watching them casually achieve impossible feats to save the world relaxes me, plus it offers a sentimental value. As a child, I’ve spent a fortune (thanks mom and dad) on comic books. Despite my fondness of the genre, I find most books about superheroes lacking compared to movies and graphic novels. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, and Weiland’s Wayfarer is one.

Set in the Regency England, the story takes place in 1820 London, where an outlaw speedster and a mast
Jane
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
What an incredible read! I loved every second of this book, and didn't want to put it down.

The characters are so realistically and beautifully dynamic. I was so emotionally invested in them and their story and it was just all. the. feels.

I'm a huge superhero fan, and this was gorgeously magical and superhero-esque and in such an epic and unique setting! Count me in for all books in this genre EVER.

This book pulled me in right from the start and had me turning pages the whole time. All the action
Randy Tramp
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will can run faster and leap higher than any human being in England's underworld.

When he's accused of murder, he must use supernatural gifts to survive. Only Will can stop a madman bent on reforming London by any means possible.

I've been waiting for this book to come out for some time. My expectations were high, and I wasn't disappointed. "What a ride," comes to mind as I think of this story. Continuous action gripped me and didn't release my curiosity until the very end. -And, what an ending.

As
Adam Collings
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wayfarer by K.M. Wyland hits all the necessary tropes to make a great superhero story, and at the same time, owns its historical setting in the 1820s. Superheroes and Georgian England actually meld very nicely together.

The story is populated with fun endearing characters, along with a great villain with unique powers and believable motivations.

The book explores the theme of how others view us, which is an issue most of us struggle with at some point in our lives.

The language roots the story in i
Lizzy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book so much. Plenty of action to keep you turning pages, characters that you either love very much(Will, Tom, and Rose) or that you want to get very far away from the good guys bc they're not nice AT ALL, and the themes that tied up the end were fantastic.

Basically, yes, I would 100/10 recommend this book.

(I received an ARC version in exchange for an honest review.)
Pamela Poole
After recently re-reading my favorite story by KM Weiland, "Behold the Dawn," and having liked "Dreamlander" a few years ago, I expected to like this book. I was genuinely surprised to find myself being as generous as I could by giving it a 3 (I don't like to leave reviews less than a 3). In case there may be other readers like me who aren't prepared for the difference in this book, I decided to leave a review that mentions the ups and downs I experienced.
This author is wonderful with her resear
writegeist
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wyland's newest historical fantasy is a delight! Wyland runs the Helping Writers Become Authors website, and she practices what she preaches. All cylinders are firing in this one with all the swashbuckling adventure, romance, and heart that you'd expect from Ms. Wyland. Her take on the whole superhero genre (of which she is an aficionado) is unique as well. Give all her other novels a try and support one of the best self-published authors out there.
Janet Sketchley
Gaslight fantasy… I didn’t even know that was a genre. But K.M. Weiland’s Wayfarer, set in 1820s England is a fantastic tale of a young man who becomes a superhero.

Will is a blacksmith’s apprentice whose family died in debtors’ prison. Despite his master’s advice, he can’t ignore the way people look down on him. The strange powers that afflict him could earn him respect—or they could get him killed.

Complex characters and vivid descriptions make a compelling read.

Wayfarer is a satisfyingly long
Kaitlin Williams
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
description
I am clearly in the minority on this one and I am okay with that. I have been in a book slunk and this was the the icing on top of this cake. I have never wanted to put down a book so bad! I know one day I will find that book that I just cannot finish and it will be my first to be labelled DNF, but for now I simply cannot make myself do that. Because of the previous flops, this may be harsher than it would be in other circumstances.
description
I got this as a free download from the author. I have previously
H. S. Kylian (Hannah Killian)
Whew-whee, what a page-turner!! As of right now, I can only break my feelings down into a few points:

1. THAT ROMANCE. ESPECIALLY AT THE END. LADIES, FIND YOURSELVES A MAN LIKE WILL HARDY-AKA A MAN WHO WILL DATE YOU FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS.

2. ROSE. GUYS I LOVED HERS AND WILL'S BROTHER-SISTER RELATIONSHIP SO MUCH.

3. LIFTY AND PISH AND POSTELWAITE AND TRABB ARE THE BEST SIDE CHARACTERS EVER I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE!!!!

4. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

5. I really hope Peggy is
Clare S-B
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wayfarer was full of epic characters and magic. The book had deep meaningful themes that the characters represent spectacularly, whether in a positive or negative way. All of the characters were brilliant. Though some of them fit into story tropes they still each had their own personality and things that set them apart. They were dynamic, lovable (or despicable) characters but they are well rounded and when their backstory finally leaks out they make sense. The story started reasonably slowly bu ...more
Kim Warner
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This gaslamp fantasy adventure started on a roller coaster and kept going until the final pages! A wonderful cross of the worlds Dickens and Spider-Man, Deadpool and Wild Wild West and Les Miserables and Robin Hood. Yes something for everyone.

The characters were alive with wonderfully human flaws which provided an unexpected levity. The story is as complex and honest as the evolution of the original superhero could be. So much fun to leap through Will’s physical and moral evolution. The story an
Gabrielle Pollack
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how much effort Weiland puts into her stories. The characters were so quirky and the world so interesting! I couldn't put down the boom during the first half and was satisfied with the end.
Lora Shouse
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite character was Rose!

Will Hardy doesn’t believe in the Affery Plague. But he somehow or other gets it and as a result acquires the ability to run superhumanly fast, run up the sides of buildings, and jump extremely high. But along with these abilities, he gets dizzy looking down from heights and suffers an extreme sensitivity to bright lights.

Will’s ambition is to go to London, and after the mysterious Dr. Silas, who is supposedly studying the plague, refuses to send him because he is
Ellen Findora
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaleigh
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wayfarer begins with Will as a young apprentice seeking to rid his master of debt. He's heart-warming, if not a bit foolish at times. While trying to find better paying work, he stumbles across men who believed "the plague" was real. Gossip about unusually gifted or changed people who lived through miracles, it seemed. But Will denies that it exists...until he falls deeper into adventure than he ever dreamed. Adventure called Dr. Silas and Mr. Fitzroy.

Will's family died in the workhouse because
Heidi Hanley
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think Oliver Twist meets Spiderman meets Neo. A timeless tale of a country boy, born into poverty, who dreams of being someone, of living in better circumstances. He accidentally gains superpowers that could bring him fame and glory. However, Will must learn to see through illusion and perception to the reality of what is important in life and what value he should place on privilege and position.
Weiland is a master storyteller. In this story she uses superpowers unusual for the setting and makes
Matt Barker
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
K.M. Weiland has been a huge help to me as I have been working on my own writing. Her podcast "Helping Writers Become Authors" is so chock-full of good advice, I wanted to see how she practiced what she preached. Wayfarer was a great read and although I felt it was a little predictable, I really came to love the characters and appreciated this unconventional superhero story.

Will, Isabella, Rose, Tom, and Fitzroy all felt very fleshed out for the most part. Will felt like a classic hero: strong-w
Nicholas Adams
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How does a new superhero go about getting an apprenticeship?

K.M. Wyland transports her readers to the era of Jane Eyre in Wayfarer, a new superhero story told with an olde world flavour.

How does one learn to harness superhuman abilities when you're alone in the world? Will Hardy is a poor apprentice of a country blacksmith, looked down upon by the little hamlet's "higher society." However, after crossing paths with the equally beautiful, intelligent, and mysterious, Lady Isabella he finds hi
Narnian
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... I read this book on my phone and let me just say, I read this a LOT faster than I've read books half this size. (That is a huge credit towards how much I enjoyed this book)!

I like super hero movies, I like books with adventure, awesome world building and books that have a point! How about one that is all of that put together?
Fast paced with an awesome magic system. I really felt like I was in the world. The characters were amazing! They were unique, relatable and awesome! Always running tow
Bruce McNair
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historical fantasies
Will Hardy is a blacksmith’s apprentice in a small town in Surrey during the Regency era. He wants to go to London and earn a living that will help free his master Tom from debt. But before he can escape country life, he is infected by a bite from an invisible ferret. Like Spiderman, the bite results in superpowers that Will has trouble understanding and controlling while it also confers weaknesses that make things even more difficult. When Tom is carted off to debtors prison, Will is determined ...more
Allison Hilleson
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew I wanted to read this book as soon as K. M. Weiland began talking about it on her podcast (Helping Writer's Become Authors). The description of a superhero historical fiction novel was intriguing. I've loved historical fiction and classic books since I was a child. I also enjoy superhero fiction. I wasn't able to purchase the book when it was first released in 2018 but I did receive it as a Christmas gift this last year.

I loved this book. I will admit that Weiland is currently one of my f
Ingrid Bouldin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SciFi Steampunk Action:
As a reader, if you love getting lost in a high action Steampunk blast to the historical past genre of novel with a bit of magic and romance in the mix, look no further. Wayfarer, without a doubt, is it.

This premiere novel of what will surely grow into a many-book series by K.M. Wyland debuts with Will and ends with the Wayfarer. No small journey this.

A young Smith's apprentice faces life altering events when he discovers he's forced to journey far and battle all manner of
Peter Hill
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wayfarer to put it bluntly is a welcome change to the superhero genre.

Set in the 1800's, the book focuses on a young man who through exciting circumstances gets the ability to move incredibly fast.

I love origin stories, and Wayfarer did not disappoint. There's action, cheeky humour from a loveable young girl named Rose, who pops up across the story, a villain who is complex, whilst all the time, Katie creates characters who feel realisic and engaging. Katie has clearly done her research regard
Katie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed everything I've read by Wyland, and this was no different. She's got the writing craft down and writes well-structured stories with interesting premises. Since I've read most of her fiction I have started to notice patterns in the tropes she likes (male protagonists, funny, youthful sidekicks), but there's nothing wrong with that, especially since she does them well.

This book followed some of those same threads and was a fun Marvel-meets-Dickens story (some of said Jane Austen but
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fawkes
  • The Mythic Guide to Characters: Writing Characters Who Enchant and Inspire
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • The Family Journal
  • Slay In Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible
  • Queen of the Conquered (Islands of Blood and Storm, #1)
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • The Geek Feminist Revolution
  • Voice of War
  • Coming Out to Play
  • Oasis
  • They Don't Teach This: Lessons From the Game of Life
  • The Unseen Realm
  • Of Dragons, Feasts and Murders (Dominion of the Fallen, #3.5)
  • The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy, #1)
  • Bog Bodies
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include