Start by marking “The One” as Want to Read:

The One

From an Australian TV scriptwriter comes a sparkling debut novel where the quest for love will surprise you. Fall in love like nobody's watching...

On the wrong side of thirty, Bonnie Yates wants a happily ever after. Problem is, she keeps choosing the wrong guys. When an ex returns to town with a fiancee in tow, history and temptation collide. Unable to shake her
Published July 1st 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One

Start your review of The One
Kylie D
An insightful look into the world of reality television, in this debut novel from former scriptwriter Kaneana May. We follow the story of three women involved with the TV dating show 'The One', reluctant contestant Bonnie, ambitious producer Darcy, and sometime viewer Penelope.

All three women are in different stages of relationships, or non-relationships, Bonnie has fallen head-over-heels for her high school sweetheart Ollie, even though he has a fiancée, Darcy is trying to get long time
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
I will start by saying I’m a bit of a Bachelor tragic. I like getting right into the drama of the show and trying to guess who will be going home each night, checking Twitter every few minutes to see what other viewers are thinking, which contestants everyone likes or dislikes. We viewers have very distinct opinions about everything that is said and done on the show.

I originally rated the book 4.5 stars because, for me, there wasn’t enough viewer
Brenda
“The One” – reality TV which the viewing public devoured every season. But this year the predictable but exciting show would be much different. With the studio based in Sydney, the twenty two young women who had succeeded in their quest to be on the show headed there from all over Australia. Darcy and Mel were the people in the front line with the contestants, coaching them while the cameras were ready to roll. All the women were in lockdown in the hotel – no phones, nothing to connect them to ...more
Mandy White
First of all I have to admit that I am not a reality TV fan at all. I have never watched an episode of Married at First Sight or The Bachelor - ever! And this book is all about finding The One... on national TV... and I loved it! I was sucked right into this story right from the very beginning and read this book in a weekend binge. Once I started I just had to keep reading to see who got their happily ever after. It was a wonderful change from my usual serial killers and police procedurals. To ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I’ve met Kaneana May a few times at local library events, and I was excited to learn she had realised her dream to publish. Her debut, The One, is an engaging and emotional contemporary novel.

Using her experience in the television industry, May connects her characters by their participation in ‘The One’, a (fictional) reality television show in the style of the worldwide phenomenon, The Bachelor. To be honest, I abhor reality shows like The Bachelor/The Bachelorette, Married at First Sight, Love
Janine
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Three women, three issues, all involving happiness.

Bonnie seems to have no luck in the love stakes, her ex has a new girlfriend and is shocked when her sister sends in an application on her behalf for a reality dating show.
Darcy is a career girl and has been in a long-term relationship that seems to be going nowhere. She gets the opportunity of a lifetime to produce a new TV Show which will show everybody that she has what it takes to succeed. But at what cost? And does this city girl want to
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received via Netgalley for an honest review

I am sooooo not a fan of reality TV - just the ads on TV for The Bachelor and the like make me roll my eyes and switch channels.

However, this debut novel by former screenwriter Kaneana May intrigued me, and it was wonderful to get behind the scenes (albeit fictionally) to see the machinations manipulations of a reality show.

I liked all three of our ladies - Penelope, Darcy and Bonnie. My heart hurts for each of them in different ways, and can see
Ali Berg
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! I inhaled it in two days, because I just couldn’t stop reading. I was looking for a lighthearted romantic novel, which I got. What I also got though, was really clever storylines, complex characters, laugh out loud moments and heartbreakingly raw parts too. Plus, a behind-the-scenes look at reality TV which was even more addictive than watching it. A 5 read! ...more
Anna Loder
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t watched much reality tv since big brother 2000, I was an addict!! So I wasn’t expecting to love the dating show insights like I have. I had no idea! So that part was great. I was expecting the love stories to be silly, I’m 41 and settled; but instead I loved them all!! I laughed, I cried, I connected with them all...I’m so glad I’ve found my one!!
Elisa
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome debut novel, I was glued to the pages it was such an amazing story, truly riveting and wonderfully emotional.
Cassie Hamer
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great 'behind the scenes' look at the 'reality' behind reality TV. Characters you grow to love and an excellent bittersweet ending.
Monica Mac
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and considering this was a debut novel, it was even more impressive.

It tells the tale of unlucky-in-love Bonnie, whose sister persuades her to go on a reality show to find a romantic partner. There is a young woman who is working on the show, Darcy, who is having her own issues and then there is Penny. All of these women's lives intersect in this book and how things pan out is very interesting indeed.

The behind-the-scenes look at how reality TV is produced is
Escape into a Booksite
Copy kindly received via Harper Collins Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately I had to DNF this one. It wasn't holding my attention at all. The story line seems like a good idea, and I am sure others will enjoy this, it just wasn't for me.
Hayley (meet_me_at_the_library)
Lights, camera, romance! Calling all fans of The Bachelor, I’ve found your next read. Whether you just watch for the melodrama, or you are a hopeless romantic at heart, this book needs go go on your TBR.

Set against the backdrop of a fictional reality TV show on which twenty-two unlucky-in-love women vie for the affections of the same man, The One is a witty and engaging contemporary romance novel. I loved the behind-the-scenes glimpse at how a show like The One is produced. As you’d expect, the
Naomi (aplace_inthesun)
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Australian viewers have become increasingly familiar with reality TV shows over the past few years. Shows such as Big Brother, The Bachelor, Love Island, Jersey Shore to name a few. I confess to being an lover of the earliest Bachelor series particularly - favourite couple ever #TristandRyan!

The debut novel of Kaneana May combines her own love for reality TV and her background as a scriptwriter on numerous Australian drama series. The result is The One set in New South Wales, Australia.

lola.and.puki
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
You don’t have to be a fan of reality tv to enjoy The One by Kaneana May. This debut novel is an engaging, witty, humorous and touching story about finding happiness and love. You can’t help but root for the three main characters as you eagerly turn the page to discover if they find their happily-ever-afters.

I enjoyed following the journeys of the highly relatable Bonnie, Darcy and Penelope and discovering how their stories are intertwined. They are very different women at different stages in
Malvina
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely read about three women, centred around a TV reality dating show called 'The One'. One lucky bachelor is hopeful to meet his match from the women selected for him. The book follows the story of Bonnie, a slightly reluctant contestant on the show; show producer Darcy, time-poor and always-hoping-for-that-promotion-which-is-dangled-over-her-head-to-make-her-work-harder; and Penelope, a woman of mystery struggling to stay aloof and anonymous when she moves into a small country community.

Sal Gallaher
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though Im no huge fan of reality TV I have found myself hooked into them from time to time. Like many others I guess

When I had a chance to speak to Kaneana May at a recent festival I was intrigued by her debut novel The One, and bought her book for a long flight.

The One is a beautifully written story about relationships, the search for love and what people will do in the name of it. I love how the characters are real with flaws and conflicting emotions pulling them in different directions.

Alyce Caswell
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ugly cried through the last 20 pages - which says it all, really.
Narelle Mackander
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! Yes I do love my reality tv shows so connected to the storyline, but it was so well written. I loved the characters and loved working out how one of the characters was intertwined with the story. Highly recommend
Debbie Caswell
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut novel and I have to say I was very impressed even though as a script writer Kaneana is writing in a known field by writing about a TV show it was still masterfully done

This is the story of three woman all at different points in their lives and all searching for the one They are all also involved in a TV show called the one as well.

Bonnie a contestant on the show is in love with her best friend Ollie even if he is engaged to someone else
Darcy the producer of the show is trying to
Jacky
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It reminded me of the bachelor but it was better it gave an insight to the behind the scenes of a reality show
I did get a surprise at the end I didn’t think it would end the way it did
But I loved the story line and it was a very pleasant easy read
Thanks you Kaneana for a great book
Shelagh
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The One is Kaneana May’s debut novel and shows the promise of a successful writing career for this author. Set mostly in Sydney, this story focuses on the complex love lives of three women.
Darcy is a stressed reality TV producer whose relationship with long-standing boyfriend Drew has seen better days. As the story progresses her stress levels and her relationship suffers.
Bonnie is still in love with her ex-boyfriend Ollie and torturing herself over him and his fiancée, who have moved back to
Jodi
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rom-com
Read the whole book traveling from Melbourne to Hong Kong. Laughed, cried and loved every moment of it.
In my opinon a good rom-com isn't just a fun romp, it is fleshed out with all the feels - funny moments right through to the heart-twisting teary moments. The balance is hard to achieve, but one that debut author Kaneana May has done effortlessly.
Well written, great characters and a fully developed plot makes this a five-star read.
Jessica
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been a long term watcher of the Bachelor and Bachelorette series - since the first American season!- so this book instantly appealed to me for a fun read.
Knowing the author's background gave it a nice realistic behind the scenes touch for me and I really enjoyed the way the machinations of reality tv drove the plot for the characters.

The other thing I liked was the connection the author drew between characters and the things in life that present as you get older - miscarriage, infertility,
Pam
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, clever...unputadownable. The One has it all....romance, mystery, love and heartache....what a ride! If you're looking for a great book to take away on your next holiday I would recommend The One to anyone, no wait everyone.
Madison
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved Kaneana May’s ‘The One’. I couldn’t put it down and read it in a couple of days. I can’t wait to see more from this author!
Samantha Brennan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Why I had to pick it up: There were three reasons why I had to read The One. First, I’m a sucker for the rom-com genre—in books, in movies, in DVD box sets and Netflix binges. This story had me hooked with the book blurb.

Second, the temptation to read a story set behind the scenes of reality television was too good to resist, because I’ve been there (sort of). I’ve seen it: the tricks, the twists, the artful editing. In 2015, my sister was a bride on Channel Nine’s Married At First Sight and I
Angie Flanagan
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I was super excited to see this come out and I wanted to read it from day dot it was announced. It's right up my alley of what I read, romance of course. LOL!
This is a new author to me, and I actually bought the book this time around instead of an ebook.
I love discovering new authors, and Kaneana being a screen writer in real life, made it that much more appealing.
I do have to say in the beginning I was like what is going on. This not only follows one couple but 3. So at first, it was a bit
Jodie (Sunshinejode) W
Fall in love like nobody’s watching…..but they all are!

“The One” is the debut novel for Kaneana May who has worked in the television industry as a screenwriter and it will prove to be popular with fans of The Bachelor and Bachelorette as it is based around a fictional dating television show.

We are introduced to three characters – Bonnie Yates the unlikely contestant railroaded by her sister who is a fan of the show to sign up as she keeps choosing the wrong guys. Darcy Reed the producer of the
« previous 1 3 next »