Start by marking “The Postmistress” as Want to Read:
The Postmistress

The Postmistress

A stunning historical tale of loss, desire and courage that is full of the terror and the beauty of the Australian bush, for readers of The Thorn Birds, The Naturalist's Daughter and The Widow of Ballarat.
To forge a new life she must first deal with her past...

1871. Adelaide Greaves and her young son have found sanctuary in the Australian town of Maiden's Creek, where she
Published July 1st 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Postmistress, please sign up.
Kimberly Bastin absolutely yes, I would not have a problem with any person of any age reading this book.
also the follow on book the goldminers sister.…more
also the follow on book the goldminers sister.(less)

Start your review of The Postmistress
Phrynne
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who enjoys historical fiction I have read nearly all of this author's books and have always enjoyed them. This is her first one for me which is set in Australia and she has certainly done her research!

The action all takes place in a small country town near the gold fields and we get a really good study of what it was like to live there at that time - the extremes of temperature, the difficulties of transport, and the dangers of bushfires, poisonous snakes and mining accidents with sub
Brenda
Adelaide and her friend Netty had arrived in Australia from England, and after working for a short time in Melbourne, moved to Maiden’s Creek where Adelaide took up the position of postmistress. Her young son Danny was the light of her life, and the three of them settled in well. It was 1871 and the small goldmining town housed some rough and ready folks, but Adelaide was a strong woman and determined to forge a future.

Caleb Hunt was recently arrived from the United States and the war had left s
Carolyn
This is an engaging Australian romance set in the 1870s in a fictional Victorian goldmining town. Adelaide Greaves, the town postmistress ran away from her wealthy home in England ten years before and is living a quiet life as a widow with a young son. When American, Caleb Hunt, an ex-confederate soldier, arrives in town to look at a mining claim he won in a gambling game and is badly injured, Adelaide offers him a bed in an outside cabin until he recuperates. Neither are looking for romance but ...more
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**4.5 stars**

The Postmistress by Alison Stuart. (2019).

It's 1871. Adelaide and her young son live in Maiden's Creek where she works as a postmistress. The rough Victorian goldmining settlement is a hard place for a woman but through force of will and sheer necessity, Adelaide carves out a role. But her past is coming to find her and she may need the help of the embittered and scarred Confederate soldier Caleb. Caleb is in search of go
Karren  Sandercock
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley, Harlequin Australia and Alison Stuart for my copy of: The Postmistress.

1871 Australia, Adelaide Greaves is an English widow she and her young son Danny live in the small mining town of Maiden's Creek in Victoria and she works as a postmistress. It’s not easy for a single woman with a young son to live in a rough mining town in the gold fields and Adelaide has her best friend Netty for support.

Battle weary ex confederate soldier Caleb Hunt, arrives in town in search of gold
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Book #14 in the #20BACKLISTIN2020 challenge

Adelaide’s position as a postmistress put her in a unique position.’

Turn back the clock to the 1870s and step into the shoes of Adelaide Greaves, the strong, determined and steadfast heroine of Alison Stuart’s The Postmistress. An enrapturing tale of history, danger, romance, free will and courage, The Postmistress sweeps the reader off their feet from chapter one to the departing line.

Adelaide Greaves and her young
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
The Postmistress is the first book by Alison Stuart that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not my usual genre of reading but this historical fiction/romance was a wonderful read. The detail that went into describing the Australian bush town made me feel as if I was there. This book would make a great film, always something going on and great characters. I will be looking for more from Alison in the future.

In 1861 Adelaide and Netty - her servant and friend - fled the UK. Adelaide was 17 a
Helen
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love MS Stuart’s books, she has a fabulous way with words and this story is just fabulous, her first set in Australia and can I say how much I loved this one it kept me up very late last night finishing it. I love Adelaide and Caleb, they are wonderful honest characters that have been through a lot and come through with love and friendship, this one is a must read.

Adelaide Lewis had led a secluded and privileged life in England, an only child with an uncaring wealthy father, but at a ball her
Jülie ☼♄ 

Book #1 in the Maiden’s Creek trilogy.

This historical tale begins on the 6th of December 1861 in Liverpool England where miss Adelaide Lewis suddenly finds herself faced with a dreadful predicament which will change the course of her life drastically.

As Adelaide’s business driven father, Sir Daniel Lewis, reads a telegram over breakfast he suddenly becomes enraged before revealing the devastating news that his ship Evangeline, did not make it to the port in Savannah.
It appears that the ship wit
Karren  Sandercock

Claire
This week I mark off another square on my Bingo sheet. I’ve picked Historical for this fortnight’s square and chose new release novel The Postmistress by Alison Stuart for this square.

A historical fiction novel set in the harsh Australian outback and gold mining town in 1871.

In a small struggling mining town we meet Adelaide 10 years on from the Prologue where she is making a life for herself and her son. For me, Adelaide came across as older than she was, this would be because she’d had to eke
Bronwyn
I thoroughly enjoyed this read and stayed up late to finish it. The characters are well-drawn and the story engrossing. Alison Stuart's historical research is solid and fascinating, deftly woven through the story to vividly recreate the Victorian goldfields and the landscape. I'm looking forward to the next book! ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘There will be other men, better prospects.’

December 1861, Liverpool in England. Adelaide Lewis is breakfasting with her father, Sir Daniel, as he goes through his morning post. And then Sir Daniel advises the calamitous news that the ship Evangeline has not made port in Savannah. The man Adelaide was hoping to marry was on that ship. Adelaide is distraught. Her father, Sir Daniel, tells her that marriage is not about love:

‘I have other plans for you, my girl. You’re not settling for any third s
Carol
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alison Stuart weaves an evocative story set in 1871 following the lives of two people trying to escape their past a small gold-mining community in the wilds of the Australian bush. She writes with great attention to historic detail, bringing it to life with the warmth of home baked bread, the texture of clothing and furnishing and the sounds of gold mining machinery punctuating the story.

Adelaide and Caleb are characters you want to care about, to cheer on and to share their ups and downs. They
Gloria Arthur (Ms. G's Bookshelf)
The Postmistress is a historical story set in the beautiful Australian bush in the small gold mining settlement of Maiden’s Creek in Victoria.

The tale is a little slow to begin but once it does, it's unputdownable, it’s the story of two people trying to escape their pasts. It’s 1871 and Adelaide Greaves and her young son Danny have made their home in Maiden’s Creek where Adelaide is Postmistress of the town. Caleb Hunt, an American ex-soldier arrives on the scene after winning a mining claim in
Ebony McKenna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning

It’s past 1am and I have just finished reading this fabulous book. My eyes hurt, I’m so tired, but I have the biggest smile on my face. Everyone in this book had secrets that were teased out in such believable ways. Adelaide’s courage was so endearing. Caleb’s demons were very believable. The characters felt real to me. I’m going to miss them.
Meegz Reads
*3 Stars*

Copy kindly received by Harper Collins/Harlequin Australia for an honest review.

This was an interesting enough book, although for the most part it seemed pretty cruisey to me. There was a bit of mystery as to both Caleb and Adelaides past, but until maybe the last 1/4 of the book, nothing really crazy or big happened.

The writing style of the author is great and the detail and research that must have been done to get things correct and so believable would've been extensive, I just thi
Diane
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart-alison
Thank you Alison Stuart for The Postmistress, a great story! I have to admit that I haven't often read historical novels going back as far as this one. Generally I go back as far as the early 1900s. But, now I have discovered that I want to read more historical novels. Luck is, I know there are plenty of them around! I recommend this book and do I understand there will be a second Maiden's Creek story? ...more
Sara
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read this author before I know how un-put-downable her books can be. I've found myself still reading at 4am before! So I kept this for a long international flight, thinking I'd read a bit, eat a bit and watch a movie or two. Nope. I just read the book, cover to cover. Didn't put it down even to eat. I read it as an e-book which means I tend to lose track of how much more story there is to go so I found the rollercoaster was fantastic .. just as I thought it was all coming to an end someth ...more
Eunice Crabtree
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT STORY

VERY EMOTIONAL AND INSPIRING. IT SHOWS THE IMPORTANCE OF FORGIVENESS AND HOW HARD IT IS TO FORGIVE AND ACCEPT FORGIVENESS IN RETURN.
Jazzy Lemon
Mar 13, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit more romance than I like, but it was good and well researched so it gets all the stars.
Glenda Leigh
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loved the whole story, love stories set in the 1800’s and it mentioned Creswick where I grew up. I’m now keen to read the other books Alison Stuart has written. At the same time I was watching on Netflix ‘When calls the heart’ similar storyline set in the 1800’s ( Drawn to that era ) so I had to seperate the characters as I read the book.
Bree T
A devastating incident leaves Adelaide, the daughter of a wealthy Englishman, with a bit of a consequence. Rather than face her stern father’s wrath, Adelaide flees England and books passage to Australia where she eventually ends up the postmistress of Maiden’s Creek, a small mining town east of Melbourne. There she raises her young son Danny along with her former maid, who assists her in all manner of work. Adelaide doesn’t fit the role of refined woman of the upper class – she is kind to every ...more
TheMadHatter
My reading group has monthly challenges and this year they are doing featured Aussie Author challenges. After only three months into the year, I feel quite embarrassed to say that the author for both January (Michael Robotham) and March (Alison Stuart) were totally unknown to me....but no longer. Both have become new favourites and I have added both of their back catalogues to my reading list.

This book was set in country Victoria in 1870s and was a well-researched historical fiction book coverin
Laurena
An un-ashamed romance set in the Australian bush. Thanks to publishers for ARC.
Shelagh
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the gorgeous south east Australian high country near Walhalla, this story brings a different angle to life on the Australian goldfields. For one thing, the setting is a small rural community rather than the larger goldfields of Bendigo and Ballarat, and for another the heroes of this story are very different to any I have read about so far.
The story takes place during the late nineteenth century Australian gold rush and stars Adelaide Greaves, ostensibly a widow, her nine year-old son Da
Suzanne
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter hooked me, I was totally involved with the problems of the main character in England. The next chapter introduced us to a man with violent interactions. Somehow the story then bounced to Australia and it was there that I lost it amongst pages of dialogue. I wanted to get back to our heroine but the story seemed to have fast forwarded into the future. Based on readers excellent reviews I might give this novel another go at a later date but at the moment I am disappointed with it ...more
Cathleen Ross
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written historical romance.

Set in Victoria in the 1870s, The Postmistress tells the tale of Adelaide Greaves who falls pregnant and has to forge a new identity for herself.
Caleb Hunt is injured saving Adelaide's son, Danny so Adelaide agrees to nurse Caleb back to health and a romance develops.

Stuart paints vivid Australian scenes, which are realistic and easy to fall in to for the reader. I can't recommend this book enough.
Louise Wilson
An unusual setting, a believable story, great characters, very well written - what more could you want as a reader? Congratulations and well done, Alison.
Julie Garner
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed reading this book even though it is not my normal genre. Historical romance is not normally my scene but I have been reading it a little bit lately. The Postmistress by Alison Stuart reads like it was meant to be a movie - the feeling of the landscape, the descriptions of the people, the town and the goldfields so accurate you felt a sense a place.
As a single mother, Adelaide is doing the very best she can for her son in a time when life was tough. She has found a place to belong but t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Claiming a Book 4 229 Jan 03, 2019 07:32PM

• The Widow of Ballarat
  • The Codebreakers
  • The Good Woman of Renmark
  • The Prodigal Sister
  • The Mystery Woman
  • The Vet from Snowy River
  • Outback Secrets (Bunyip Bay #5)
  • Birds of a Feather
  • All About Ella
  • The Beautiful Words
  • Elsa Goody, Bushranger
  • Where the Dead Go
  • Outback Dreams (Bunyip Bay, #1)
Mystery, history and romance… Award winning Australian author, Alison Stuart learned her passion for history from her father. She has been writing stories since her teenage years but it was not until 2007 that her first full length novel was published. Alison has now published eight full length historical romances and a collection of her short stories and is working on a series of historical roman ...more