Start by marking “The Year I Didn't Eat” as Want to Read:
The Year I Didn't Eat

The Year I Didn't Eat

"Some days are normal. Some days, everything is OK, and I eat three square meals, pretty much, even if those squares are ridiculously small squares.

Some days, I can almost pretend there’s nothing wrong."

Max is 14, and anorexic. His eating disorder has pretty much taken over his whole life.

His brother, Robin, gives him a geocache for Christmas. Max hides it in the forest ne
Paperback
Published March 1st 2019 by ZunTold (first published February 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Year I Didn't Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year I Didn't Eat

Lucy Powrie
Samuel Pollen is a new and exciting voice in teen fiction. The Year I Didn’t Eat offers a sensitive and honest insight into what it’s like to live with anorexia, whilst also being full of warmth and heart. I loved it.
Savannah Brown
Gentle without condescension, THE YEAR I DIDN’T EAT offers invaluable, honest representation of an often overlooked group, situated harmoniously alongside buckets of humor and warmth. A hugely important story.
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
I absolutely loved this important, beautiful little book.

Max loves birds, wants to be a zoologist, has just discovered geocaching, and has anorexia. The novel follows him through the realities of eating disorders -- how they feel and how they make your thoughts distort -- but also how he copes with changes in his family, new friends, a new school year. It is overall a beautiful novel, that ends with a positive note and hope for recovery.

In terms of content notes, BMIs are never mentioned. Max’s
Whitney
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I grew up thinking that anorexia and bulimia were only diseases that women got. Nobody directly told me this, I believed this because any book I read or anything I saw in the gossip magazines talked about how these diseases were affecting women, not men. We rarely talk about the men that deal with this horrible disease and this impacted how I understood eating disorders. When I was older I learned that both men and women suffered from these diseases. But still, it boggles my mind that I could ha ...more
Nichole
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is destined to be an important middle grade novel.
Anne
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a woman in her fifties, I'm not the target market for this book. However, as a reader, and a person who appreciates fine writing, it's an absolute to pleasure to read this novel.

Men's and boy's mental health has been discussed a lot this year, and ZunTold believe that it's important that we keep talking and keeping it high on the radar.
The Year I Didn't Eat will be part of their 'Fiction As Therapy' arm, focussing on books with a therapeutic value.

I think it's safe to say that most people, wh
Anna
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never had anorexia, but disordered eating and twisty thinking are familiar ground. I'm glad the author warns about the content, because I knew to watch myself a little closer and to make sure I ate normally over the two days I was reading this.

I can't remember the last time I tore through a book in two days! I did it because I *couldn't not.* I sank into Max's story like a warm bath. It is human, it is relatable, and it will stay with me for a long, long time. The characters are well-develo
Shauna Holyoak
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Someone doesn't need to understand you to save your life. They just need to care." A touching and authentic story about a teenage boy with anorexia. I grew to love Max, his loving and supportive family and all those in his network who rallied around him as he struggled with his eating disorder. So many kids will benefit from this beautiful story.
Gabriel Dylan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping, poignant, and very well written read - sometimes funny, sometimes downright terrifying, always warm, I really enjoyed this debut. A very important book - as someone who works with young people I've learnt a lot from this, and I think this is a novel that every school library in the country should have a copy of.
Lucy ❁♡ ★
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“THE YEAR I DIDN’T EAT” by SAMUEL POLLEN is a beautiful and honest portrayal of a teenage boy with anorexia.

This was one of my most, if not my most, anticipated releases of 2019 because an own~voices novel featuring one of the most overlooked and ignored victims of eating disorders? Yes please!

This book follows Max, an aspiring zoologist, lover of birds, brother of Robin and anorexia sufferer.
Max was a protagonist I instantly connected with. He’s raw and relatable and so precious. I felt my h
Cerys Weston (BrowsingForBooks)
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
I was gifted an advanced reader copy of this book by ZunTold Publishing, though all my thoughts in this review are my own.

TRIGGER WARNING: This book contains descriptions of disordered eating, anorexia and calorie numbers.

This book was totally immersive and engaging from the beginning. I believed Max's story, and that is so important in a book like this. I haven't read anything about what it is like to have an eating disorder, and I neither have an eating disorder nor am I aware of anyone I know
Ms. Yingling
Public Library Copy

Fourteen-year-old Max has been struggling with anorexia for a while. His family is doing all of the right things: he's in therapy, they don't make a big deal about food, and his brother Robin is especially supportive. Still, while he is generally holding things together, there are rough moments. When things don't go according to plan (like Christmas dinner with relatives), he gets very upset. Things are going fairly well at school, and he has good friends, as well as a new gir
Lydia Massiah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A totally engaging and believable description of a teenage boy's struggle with anorexia. Having read this story I understand so much more about mental illness, and yet the book wasn't bleak, as there was a very powerful current of warmth and humour throughout. The characters were real and kind, and there was a positive message about overcoming mental illness, which is really wonderful in fiction for this age range. The novel really resonated because one of my sons suffered serious clinical depre ...more
Joseph Elliott
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The characters are so believable they leap off the page, meaning you really experience every joy and heartache that Max does. The whole novel is filled with so much warmth and written with great sensitivity. The way the author tackles the subject matter is both tactful and uncompromising, giving an extremely eye-opening insight into childhood anorexia. This is a very important book that will undoubtedly change children's lives for the better.
NizRite
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read about an important topic. Loved that it was a compelling story in its own right about a boy *with* anorexia rather than getting lost in the message or lesson. Loved the side characters too, especially Robin. You don't see many adult siblings in children's books. Also enjoyed that whole mystery with the note-writer and the exchanges with bonkers Evie.
Orlaith Wood
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, poignant and full of hope. A book anyone who’s been a teenager will relate to. I hope it finds the people who need it most.
faith ❀
If this turns out to be another one of those books that cures mental illness with romance I'm suing
Damaris Young
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An engaging and poignant story by an exciting new author of teen fiction. THE YEAR I DIDN'T EAT offers an honest and uncompromising insight into living with anorexia, written with humour and warmth.
Emma Read
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful, sad, sometimes difficult book to read, yet ultimately uplifting and even laugh out loud funny, despite Max's dark times. He's a wonderful character, relatable and honest - I really enjoyed reading this book and would highly recommend it.
Emily
This book is not for everyone. Some people could find it triggering for sure, and others will be irritated by the personification of the eating disorder (it's a trope that's never quite rang true for me). There's more swearing than I would normally feel comfortable with in my junior high collection, but it felt authentic and I didn't feel the content itself was beyond the scope of what a ten to twelve year old could handle.

I appreciated that the book started in the midst of Max's eating disorde
Meggie
Mar 10, 2019
Ivy
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-soon-19
While women do get eating disorders, and statistically more than men, their narratives are what almost entirely make up the "eating disorder fiction" world. Men, and young boys, can and do get eating disorders, and seeing this representation, especially for children, makes me hopeful.
Olivia