Start by marking “King Mouse” as Want to Read:
King Mouse

King Mouse

King Mouse finds his authority in question when his subjects find crowns of their own. A gentle and humorous modern fable about imaginative play and kindness in the tradition of classics like Little Bear and Frog and Toad.

A sweet, thoughtful tale of friendship, sharing and play, King Mouse begins when a mouse comes upon a tiny crown in the grass. The mouse puts the cro
Published September 24th 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about King Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Mouse

Start your review of King Mouse
Canadian
This is an unusual, rather subtle picture book, which begins with a hungry little mouse finding a crown. He gradually realizes that although it’s inedible, a crown does have its uses. It gains him the respect and services of some of the other forest animals. A bear, a crow, a turtle, and a fox are all eager to feed and entertain him. The mouse quite likes being a king, and it’s an adjustment but still tolerable when a snake also discovers a crown and is hailed as the animals’ queen. But what hap ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
This story has the illustrations and feel of an old children's book. From the pencil drawings with no bright colours to the use of animals as the characters to the simplicity of the moral. It reminded me of stories that starred Peter Rabbit, Mr Toad, and others. So many of those stories were found by me in the 1980's in my Grandmother's farm house. They were on faded pages and had more complex phrases than I might have been used to at age 5; but I loved them all the same. In some ways I think I ...more
La Coccinelle
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, netgalley, arc
This picture book explores leadership and friendship, with a sweet message about inclusion.

One day, a mouse finds a tiny crown in the grass. He puts it on, and when a bear comes along and asks him if he's a king, he replies in the affirmative. It isn't long before the other animals are finding food for their king and trying to keep him entertained. But then a snake finds another crown and decides she's a queen. And then the other animals find their own crowns, and everyone gets to be
Etienne
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5. The illustrations in this book are marvelous. I really like the sepia tons used and the way they were draw! Unfortunately the story didn't score as high. I was good, even a bit funny, but closing it, it felt a bit empty, like it was lacking something in it to make it worth. Good, but could have been better!
Steff Pasciuti
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, for-kids, 2019
In so many ways, I was really left disappointed by King Mouse by Cary Fagan and illustrated by Dena Seiferling. While I can certainly say that I loved the illustrations and was over the moon thrilled to see that there was an absolutely beautiful fox in the story, overall it just didn't really mean anything to me in the end. King Mouse follows a young mouse in the forest who happens upon a crown in the grass and decides to place it upon his head. Ultimately, this leads everyone into the forest to believe that the mouse is now theend. Kingby King ...more
Lata
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved the illustrations for this gentle story about friendship and leadership.
KC
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations are outstanding but the story falls short.
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this children's novel from Netgalley, author Cary Fagan and illustrator Dena Seiferling, and Penguin Random House Canada - Tundra Books. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read King Mouse of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest opinion of the work.

King Mouse is an interesting work, encouraging sharing and mutual respect among the characters. The illustrations rendered by debut illustrator Dena Seiferling, are e
C. S.
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
I've only recently begun to explore the world of picture books again, and this one did not disappoint. The text and the illustrations complemented each other perfectly, layering the story with nuances that I'm sure children will easily be able to pick up. I'm also sure the book will become one of those favorites that gets read and reread every night, as it is simply gorgeous.
Josiphine/Tessa
I would like to live inside these illustrations, please.

The story lacked a little punch, it was very gentle and charming. The illustrations are the winner here.
Sublime Book Review
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating = 4.75
Storyline & Concept = 4.5
Writing & Delivery = 5
Cover Marketability = 4.5
Editorial = 5

King Mouse is a very well-written, longer children’s story about the perception others have of each other, just simply by wearing a faux crown. The vocabulary is excellent, which makes reading with your children a learning experience as well. The harder words for younger children are well-timed; they don’t take away from the story, they only add mo
Ryan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really hope this book makes the Caldecott shortlist because it deserves it. It is beautifully illustrated. And the story is no slouch either. A mouse finds crown in the woods. Others see him wearing it and assume he is the king. But them more and more find crowns. Except for the bear. There is no crown for him. But maybe he will find something even better. The story is wonderful and the illustrations are perfect. Give this book an award already.
Jo
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This will surely become a classic children's read. The illustrations are beautiful just as the lesson learned by the creatures of the forest.
Lauren Paletta
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a nice story about animals in a forest finding crowns and acting like queens and kings. But I was bored. Felt like there was no point to the story. I was disappointed in this.
#Netgalley
Kathryn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it beautiful illustrations and story
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written childrens story. Loved the illistrations beautifully done.! the story is about a young mouse that finds a crown and puts it on making himself a king. As the story goes on others also find crowns and take power but the mouses good friend the Bear is left out. the story shows the meaning of true friendship and the choice of empathy over power. A touching story definitley one for the bookshelf to keep.
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
A crown-wearing mouse enjoys the forest animals treating him as royalty, but his delight turns to frustration as the others find crowns of their own.

I enjoyed Cary Fagan’s King Mouse and the other animals’ creative ideas about how to amuse their crowned mouse friend. None of the animals were rejected or turned away from playing together as a group. Intentional exclusion is a trope that, while irrefutably meaningful, feels uninspired and overused. Throughout the book, the charismatic mouse is ac
Diane Seiferling
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully illustrated by Dena Seiferling. The illustrations add warmth and depth to a story that encourages young readers to value friendship and promotes sharing and empathy. Cary Fagan has once again written a story young readers and their parents will cherish. I hope he continues to utilize the skills and talent of this amazing illustrator.
Stephanie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What makes a king? What makes a queen? According to Cary Fagan a simple crown found in the grass will suffice. In King Mouse Cary Fagan creates a tale destined to be one told again and again. The illustrations by debut illustrator Dena Seiferling are so dreamy evoking thoughts of some of the classic Chris Van Allsburgn stories from my childhood. John Martz so impeccably designed King Mouse to be a book that will hold up against the test of time. As illustrative styles change, this book will stan ...more
Pete Barell
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

I can see this being a modern classic, honesty, it's that good. This reads like an old fable and has the nuances to boot, keenly touching on themes like pride, envy, selfishness, deception and (in the end) empathy - without being too on-the-nose. The story is about a mouse who finds a crown in the grass and is declared King by the other forest animals. He keeps up the facade... until the title loses its meaning. Paired with great, classical feeling so
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What does a mouse do with a crown? Of course! Place it on top of his head and announce; I'm King Mouse! This beautiful children's book will engage and take you into a magical forest full of friendship and sharing. Where ultimately each friend gets to play and be included in the fun.

The illustration is beautiful and plentiful. Each story line is represented with an illustration that will grab your attention and open the imagination.
Cat
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was cute! I liked this story! A little mouse finds a crown and puts it on, other animals think he's a king and gather food for him and entertain him. Then the animals find more crowns for themselves to be queens. But poor bear- no crown for him, until mouse comes up with a clever solution. Illustrations are soft and lovely.

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Amber Webb
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
King Mouse was a lovely tale of how perceptions of a situation can drastically change when you see more of the picture. Mouse loved being King, but so did everyone else. The illustrations in this book were beautiful and amazing. I was immediately drawn in. I enjoyed the story and the through provoking questions that could go with the book. This is a picture book that could be used with any age to bring out depth of conversation.
Elizabeth Seibel
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you #netgalley for giving me a copy of #KingMouse to review. This is a cute tale about animals in a forest. Mouse finds a crown and the others decide he's a king shop he goes with it until the others find crowns also. I enjoyed the simple pictures and well written story. The ending was sweet. This will be a great addition to my #classroombookaday lessons this year with my fifth graders.
Leah Horton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
King mouse is a sweet little tale about the importance of imagination, inclusion and friendship. This books illustrations are soft and warm and truly beautiful to look at. With all of the bright and bold children’s books that are on the shelves it’s nice to see one with a more subdued color scheme.

This is a calm book I’d love to read to my son at bedtime.
bet mercer
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations bring this layered fable to life on the page. The gentle twists of the short tale serve up plenty of food for thought--on power, individuality, awareness, and kindness, to name just a few.
Kimberly Souza
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This picture book is short, and very sweet. The illustrations are unique, and so lovely. This is a book I would add to my shelves.
Soup
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A gentle and beautifully illustrated picture book briefly detailing the adventures of forest animals who discover crowns.
Whitney
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A mouse finds a crown in the woods, declares himself king, and soon all his animal friends begin to serve him. The dynamic changes, however, when the animals find more crowns and start naming themselves monarchs. What's King Mouse to do? And what if there aren't enough crowns for everybody?

The illustrations in this book are absolutely gorgeous, and expertly portray a wide array of emotions on the characters' faces. The animals are so adorable I could barely stand it. Not to mention t
Wayne McCoy
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'King Mouse' by Cary Fagan with illustrations by Dena Seiferling is a beautifully illustrated book but the story was just ok.

Mouse finds a crown in the woods that fits and decides to be a ruler over other animals that come by like Crow and Bear. When most of the other animals also find crowns, that leaves one feeling left out. Mouse chooses kindness over kingship, and so makes the best choice of all.

The illustrations and story remind me a bit of the classic Little Bear st

• Stormy: A Story About Finding a Forever Home
  • Why?
  • Sergeant Billy: The True Story of the Goat Who Went to War
  • Fly!
  • My Wild Cat
Cary is an award-winning author for children. His kids' books include the popular Kaspar Snit novels, the two-volume Master Melville's Medicine Show, and the picture book Mr. Zinger's Hat, winner of the Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Award and the IODE Jean Throop Award. He has also won the Jewish Book Award and been shortlisted for the Silver Birch Award (five times), the Rocky Mountain Book Award ...more