Start by marking “The Tree That's Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
The Tree That's Meant to Be

The Tree That's Meant to Be

A heartfelt, gorgeous Christmas picture book that's destined to become a holiday classic - about a crooked little fir tree and a powerful message about love and embracing what makes you different.

A small fir is left all alone after the other trees near it in the forest are chosen by families as Christmas trees. But when the forest animals gather around the lonely little
Published September 24th 2019 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Tree That's Meant to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree That's Meant to Be

Start your review of The Tree That's Meant to Be
Evan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I'm a sucker for woodland creatures celebrating Christmas.
Barbara
While we're not all destined to be big and strong, each of us has a part to play in the world. This empowering picture book follows the life of a tree that fails to grow very tall and is slightly off kilter. That might be no big deal for most trees, but this one watches as other trees grow straight and firm as the years pass. It isn't clear while it doesn't thrive the way others do, but when it's time for trees to be chosen for Christmas, the tree is left behind. Lonely and confused, the tree ...more
Tim Roast
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book clearly aimed at the Christmas market. It is a large hardback with a dust jacket that is embossed and glittery in places. The dust jacket cover has a green fir tree or Christmas tree on it with a red colour background evoking Christmas. The border of laurel leaves with red berries looking very much like Christmas decorations confirms this.

The story inside is one about how being different is not a bad thing. The tree starts off saying “I am the tree that is meant to be” and we
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book actually makes me tear up! About a slightly short and crooked tree that isn't chosen by any of the families who are looking for perfection. I feel sad for the trees left behind every year! So the tree is scared and thinks it's all alone when the forest friends come out of the wood-work to decorate and make the tree feel festive. This story reminds me a little bit of Charlie Brown's Christmas. I love at the end that a bird has made its home in its branches and the last page where the ...more
Raven Black
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely this book is. Both illustrations and text are positive, bright, without being overpowering. The colors are perfect for what is needed, the characters come to life and while the text is spiritual, it is not overly religious. It might be a bit "cute" or "quaint" for some, but that is what makes it the perfect non-Santa holiday story.
Staciel
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

Ahhh... such a soothing book. I loved the illustrations and the story was solid.

This book is one of three Christmas books that I have purchased this year and is one that I will read for years to come.

Years ago I began the tradition of buying a Christmas-themed book from my local little indie bookstore.. I wouldn't have found this beautiful book without them!
Janet
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet book. The story made my eyes tear up but it's all good. Very appropriate to read to a child and by the end it made me smile. It's Christmassy but does not have to be just for Christmas. The illustrations were very nice also.
Vonprice
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful, illustrated, Christmas book for children, with an ecological theme. Read my full review here: https://vsviewfromthebookshelves.home...
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Great illustrations. The story is meh.
Dabney Malugani
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute Christmas picture book. I love the style of illustration, and the rhyming would make it a fun one one to read out loud!
Kim
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, christmas
A warm and fuzzy Christmas book about a little tree that didn't get picked by humans to be their trees, but the forest animals did. Beautiful pictures.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lyrical story about celebrating differences and friendship with lovely illustrations.
Mary Hamer
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Absolutely stunning illustrations...but the text/story felt lacking and didn’t sing.
Kelly
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading this, there was a feeling of serenity. It's a lilting story of a tree in the forest who is wondering where he is meant to be in the world.

Truly a lovely story, and beautifully told.
Mary Thomas
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-holiday
I read this book when previewing ones to read to my 5th graders for #classroombookaday. This one was okay but not that memorable.
Anjanette
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute, simple and great to read to toddlers.
but could read to older and have discussion too
KL

• Fly!
  • The Scarecrow
  • The Shortest Day
  • Home in the Woods
Yuval Zommer graduated from London’s Royal College of Art and has worked as creative director for many of the U.K.’s top advertising agencies. This is his debut picture book, inspired by the animals he came across on a trip to the zoo.