Start by marking “The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth” as Want to Read:
The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth

The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth

The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth has been thoroughly updated ensuring that this book remains the best source for women embarking on this most important step. Authors Stephanie Brill, the co-founder of the nationally renowned Maia Midwifery and Preconception Services, draws upon her years of expertise in working with lesbians, single women, and ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Alyson Books

Be the first to ask a question about The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth

Start your review of The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth
Hannah
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is a wonderfully non-judgmental guide when you're first getting started thinking through how to build a family, and the sections on nutrition, donor selection and fertility optimization were really helpful. I've held back some stars because (1) the title is a little misleading, as nearly the entire book is devoted to conception and then you basically have to switch to a regular pregnancy book and (2) it's almost too non-judgmental, and it was sometimes hard to take the book seriously when ...more
Sara
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
...a divine voice to have along this journey...
by far the most comprehensive and holistic text i have found on lesbian conception and pregnancy,and the fact that it comes loaded with midwifery wisdom is an added bonus!
i am certain that i will return to stephanie brill's compassionate guidance more than once.
Stacey
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We have turned to this book time and time again. In brief, if you are to buy only one book on this subject, this is it. We refer to it as our "lesbian conception bible". It covers everything you need to know, and quite a bit of information that you didn't know you needed to know. It is comprehensive, holistic, and inclusive of all different types of people that make up our queer community. We got pregnant with relative ease and I credit much of that to the information and advice provided in this ...more
Caitlinleah
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Title is misleading. First 4/5 are about conception, last 1/5 is about pregnancy and birth! This is a great book for over communicative lesbians who think too much. It's true, all the books who talk about dad get a little tiring, translating everything in your head to my family. So if you want validation for exactly how your feeling- however that is!- it's in here! It is good about pointing out that the only thing that make lesbian pregnancies different is lack of easy access to sperm. So it mak ...more
Heather
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rented from the library twice: when we were in the process of IUIs, and after I learned I was pregnant. Really specific information about the queer process of trying to conceive, and all the decisions you will face. The pregnancy and birth sections were less detailed than I hoped, but still some solid information for queer specific lifestyles. I had the opportunity to meet Stephanie's predecessor at Maia Midwifery; she will be publishing an updated version of this book in 2016.
Amanda
Oct 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This is like the idiot's guide to getting pregnant. It deals mainly with planning for and actually conceiving than with pregnancy and birth. It's very informative and even has pictures in case the words are just not enough of and explanation. Answers question you might feel stupid for asking. I benefited most from the fertility chapters, they provide several ways for tracking that don't require purchasing anything.
D
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice comprehensive guide for F/F couples. As with all reference books, you can skip around to find what is applicable to your personal situation. All readers will certainly notice something in this book that they may have otherwise overlooked in their research. With my partner's permission and long term commitment, I will submit to IVF this year. Yeah, just so very, very ready for this. 2017 will be quite an exciting year for us:)
Eliza T. Williamson
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This is an excellent resource for helping women meet their bodies in a whole new way and learn @ the various options for getting pregnant and what they each entail. It is clear--has great photos and graphs and sometimes left me dizzied with knowledge (in a good way).
Megan
Feb 25, 2008 is currently reading it
Definitely the best resource for lesbians trying to get pregnant. Really detailed, but not overwhelming. Great info about fertility options too.
cubbie
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
while i generally really like how it covers so many things that could happen and feelings that can come up, reading about all of the possibilities is a little overwhelming in and of itself.
Casey
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
We got pregnant as soon as we stopped listening to the midwives and trusting OPKs. Once we followed the advice in this book: POOF! It is the only book out there with all the information we needed.
Martha F-P
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
(not an announcement, y'all, just information!)
Victoria