Start by marking “The Last Affair” as Want to Read:
The Last Affair

The Last Affair

Love may be blind, but obsession's a real killer.

Nora Holliday is not that kind of woman. Not the kind who has an illicit affair with a married man. But Josh Landon is everything Nora's alcoholic husband isn't. And now she and Josh are so infatuated, they can't stay away from one another.

Abby Landon, Josh's daughter, is home from college nursing a broken heart. She's
Published November 26th 2019 by Mira Books

Start your review of The Last Affair
Dita
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Holy crap!

This book grabbed me from page one, where a grisly murder takes place, and did not let up for one single second until the very end when I found out which of several characters in this crazy, juicy thriller did the deed.

I zoomed through this one like it was my job and hated it when I had to set it down.

Thank you to Margot Hunt, HARLEQUIN - MIRA (U.S. and Canada), and NetGalley for giving me a widget for this book.
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Mindless fun, juicy unlikeable characters, & wickedly entertaining!

THE LAST AFFAIR by MARGOT HUNT is an interesting, easy to read, easy-going, thrilling and fast-paced story that immediately piqued my interest and thoroughly entertained me.

THE LAST AFFAIR has an awesome opening scene! I have quite the fondness and love for when an author opens up her story to a revealing, horrific and ghastly murder scene, allowing us to be pretty much privy to who the victim is right at the very beginning.
Holly  B
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-ok, read-in-2019
I was super excited to read Margot Hunt's latest because I so enjoyed her last, For Better Or Worse. BUT, this one was just okay for me.

We have some unlikeable characters and it took a while for me to really get into the story line.

There is some drama and a twisted love triangle that some may enjoy, but pretty middle of the road for me. Nothing that really shocked/surprised me or stood out as something original. Believe me, I kept waiting.....

Also, wasn't a big fan of how it ended.

I do enjoy
Brenda -Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars

The Last Affair starts off with quite the bang with that opening line and scene. I knew I was going to be entertained by Margot Hunt’s writing and I was from beginning to end.

Margot Hunt takes your typical affair and turns into a fun story here by adding some sass and spunk to the writing and the unlikeable characters you love to hate.

The pace is easy and quick, with just the right amount of drama to the story to move it forward for me. The dynamics between the characters are engaging,
megs_bookrack
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up**

From the outside, suburbanite Mom, Gwen Landon, seems to have it all. With successful husband, Josh, two children and a Labrador, they are the epitome of a picture perfect family.

That is, until Gwen winds up dead, bludgeoned to death in her own backyard with a driveway paving stone. She had been racking up the enemies, so whodunit?!

Nora Holliday also appears to be living in suburban bliss, although behind closed doors, things are a bit darker for Nora.

Her husband, Josh,
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Gwen Landon has it all- a beautiful family, married to husband Josh whom is a orthodontist that everyone in town adores. Gwen lives in an idealistic seaside town called Shoreham that nothing exciting ever happens in. Except for that day when Gwen was found in her backyard next to the pool with her head bashed in with a driveway paver...except for that day. That was a pretty eventful day for Shoreham....

Wow! Just wow! What a start to a book! I am not giving up any spoilers here people, this is
Jayme
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Other than the woman’s blood-covered body splayed facedown in the grass, it could have been any typical upscale Floridian backyard.”

That is the opening sentence of Margot Hunt’s soon to be released third novel, “The Last Affair” available on Nov. 26, 2019.

Josh and Gwen’s daughter Abby, left college when she discovered her boyfriend cheating on her, with her best friend.

She comes home to discover that her Dad, is cheating on her mother, with Nora.

Already feeling irrational, she vows to take
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3.5 stars.

A fast-paced, easy and thrilling read!

This is one of those books that you can fly through without having put much effort in. The pages and chapters quickly coast by as the storyline keeps you guessing. It was exactly what I was in the mood for. It kept me intrigued and entertained from start to finish. There were a few dramatic scenes, but nothing that overshadowed my enjoyment. The characters and their relationship dynamics were unique and interesting and the suspense kept me curious
Chelsea Humphrey
You know the type of book that holds your attention, yet brings nothing new to the table from the previous 97 domestic suspense novels you've read before it? Yea, that was this one. Don't get me wrong, it has soapy drama and a love triangle and enough unlikable characters to put a Real Housewives round table to shame, but I feel like I've read this exact book so many times that it may be time to put the genre behind me. If you enjoy middle of the road characters and are looking for an easy, ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nora Holliday is married to an alcoholic when she has an affair with Josh, who is also married. None of this is what Nora normally “does.”

Abby is Josh’s daughter. She comes home from college with a broken heart only to find her father cheating, so she vows to turn him in to her mother.

But Gwen? Abby’s mom and Josh’s wife? She is found murdered. Who killed her?

The tension in The Last Affair was present from page one. Margot Hunt excels with writing about marriage dynamics in a suspenseful way.
Berit☀️✨
Margot Hunt has done it again! A book full of twisted unlikable characters behaving badly? Yes please! I was completely invested, intrigued, and entertain from first page to last. The book starts with a bang, the murder of Gwen a housewife living in an upscale Florida neighborhood. The story is then told from the perspectives of Gwen, her daughter Abby, and the woman her husband is having an affair with Nora. None of these women were tremendously likable, but I glimpsed a piece of myself in each ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

It was the very picture of suburban domestic bliss. It could have been the set for a commercial advertising anything from laundry detergent to allergy medicine… except for the dead body.

Even though Josh didn’t touch her or make a single inappropriate comment, there was an energy between them. It shimmered there, almost like a separate entity, a third party sitting at the table with them.

They’re very sporty. In fact, they own one of those CrossFit places where people go and
Elyse  Walters
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook
Read by Vivienne Leheny...

Trashy-easy audio-listening...
Held my attention - (grabbed my attention with an opening bang) - kept me company while doing mundane tasks.
I never saw the ending coming... so that was a plus.

None of the characters were happy campers....
or likable....
or were master problem solvers...
Instead they were spiteful...
addicted...and strung out.

There was nothing in this book I haven’t read or seen on screen -
It’s ‘not’ a self help book...
It’s not going to fill our
Darinda
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Josh and Nora are having an affair. Josh’s daughter is home from college, and she discovers her father’s secret. Josh’s wife Gwen is living what appears an ideal life, but she is not a happy woman. Family drama and suspense combine to make for a gripping read.

Told with alternating points of view of the women – Nora, Abby, and Gwen. Each woman is behaving differently than her usual self. The characters are well-developed and add a different and intriguing layer to the novel.

A fantastic book for
Frank Phillips
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Freaking solid!! Especially the last quarter of the book, totally rocked my world! Last time around hunts novel called for better or worse didn't impress me as much as her debut novel did, this one completely redeemed her. The only complaint I would make about this one is that it was mostly a family drama and dealt with the affair itself, logistics, how the affair effects the family members on both sides, etc, rather then the murder and the mystery surrounding it. I feel like if the murder had ...more
ABookwormWithWine
/ 5

If you are looking for a really good, slow-burn of a domestic drama then look no further because Margot Hunt has got you with her new book The Last Affair.

I wouldn't say that any of the characters are likable in this book, but Nora came close for me, even if she does have an affair with a married man. I really like that The Last Affair starts out with the murder of Josh's wife Gwen, and then switches back into the past to tell the reader how Nora and Josh started the affair and all of the
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Do we have an ID on the victim?' Reddick asked.

'It's her house,' Monroe grunted.

'Yeah, but I like doing things the official way, you know?'

'I's dotted, t's crossed, all of that. Building a case, basic detective work.'

Despite the chilling scene in front of them - the woman's body still sprawled on the grass, the back of her head a pulpy, bloody mess - the corner of Monroe's mouth quirked up in a half smile. 'Sure kid, tell me all about basic detective work. I've only been doing this
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Except for the fact that I HATED 1 of the characters! I can’t remember the last time a character rubbed me as wrong as this person did! Still, I was so in to the story I just kept reading (& hoping they would get theirs!) It was interesting because a lot of times in books there are the “good” people who do the right thing, & the “bad” people who do the wrong things. Definitely not the case here.. Just a handful of people acting like.. people! The good, the ...more
Mackey
2.5 stars, rounded down because of the ending....

I have loved Margot Hunt's previous books and could not wait to read The Last Affair. Sadly, this one was not a favorite of mine. It is the story of a love triangle - plus one. The plus one is the couple's daughter who is home from university with some secrets of her own. I will not deny that this was a fast paced, thrill to the end read, but after reading it, I sat there thinking: what did I get out of this? Not a lot. Now, not every book has to
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Playing a dangerous game...

What is the one thing you must not do when you are married that's worse than any other offense...aka leaving the toilet seat up or giving the silent treatment? It's having an affair!!! Or was it murder?
I don't know...but in the case of Margot Hunt's novel, she makes it pretty convincing that either could be justified...fictionally speaking, of course ;)

So, here is a quick synopsis of what's going down in The Last Affair. Two married couples, Nora, a prominent food
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
My third Margot Hunt book and let me tell ya - her writing is addictive. She captivates you from the beginning and it really doesn't let up throughout the entire read. Also, I'm a BIG fan of domestic thrillers. They do tend to run the same gambit though - illicit affairs, families in disarray, unlikable characters, obsession and murder. This one is no different but honestly, I love them so what can ya do? You like what you like!

I tore through this one on my commutes - was looking forward to
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Gwen Landon is tired of being a homemaker and wishes that she could rewrite her past. Planning for the day that her youngest attends college, she will embark on the life she has only dreamed about. Although her marriage to Josh has become stale, she is biding her time in it due to social status and appearances. She is a narcissist, who calls the shots in her home, community, and in her marriage. Gwen’s plans take a hit when she suspects that her husband is having an affair and she becomes ...more
Keanna
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was a good premise, well written, enjoyed the characters, loved the drama, but not a huge fan of the ending.
Kendall
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I absolutely devoured Margot Hunt's debut novel!! I was super excited to get my hands on another one of her books!

But, this one was just ok for me. It took me awhile to get into the storyline and we have some unlikeable characters in this one. We have a nicely laid out love triangle here with a mix of drama but it was missing that extra cherry on top for me. I was waiting for something to knock my socks off and it just wasn't happening!

I do love how Hunt writes... she definitely keeps you on
The Lit Bitch
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As many of us know, domestic thrillers are quite the rage right now. I’ve read some that were outstanding and others that were just ok, but I’ll be completely honest…..even the just ok ones fascinate me!

There is something about taking a peak into the lives of your neighbors and coworkers that just never gets old. You know the whole, the grass is greener situation never ceases to disappoint me.

This book of course is a domestic thriller, but I thought it sounded promising. Torrid affair, perfect
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book opens with a dead woman in her back yard face down and bloody.

Who could the attacker have been?

It could have been a number of people...the flirty neighbor, the wife having an affair with Gwen's husband, the husband, or even the daughter. Who is the most likely one?

And....this isn't the only crisis in this book...it is only the beginning.

We have two families, two unhappy marriages, unhappy children, unhappy adults, an affair between one of the husbands and one of the wives, and a lot of
Janice Lombardo
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book revolves around two families who have become intertwined due to a love affair.

The Landon's and the Holliday's both have their own problems. Abby Landon leaves college, probably never to return, in the midst of her junior year. This, over a break-up with her boyfriend. (To me that is beyond being ridiculous and immature). Of course, later on she pulls another stunt - this time even worse. Gwen Landon is so self-serving that the reader loves to hate her. Yet, Gwen's husband, Josh, is
Donna Hines
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"Love may be blind, but obsession’s a real killer."
When vindictiveness becomes deadly for one housewife and mother things can never go back to the way they once were.
How could this all have happened and why is the million dollar question.
I mean truly Nora isn't a whore she's a married woman whose seeking comfort in the arms of another married man.
Her husband wasn't the model husband having an abusive streak Carter turned to gambling, alcohol, and violence against his wife Nora.
So how can you
Annarella
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book that kept me hooked till the last page.
It's well written, gripping and I loved the well written cast of characters.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinion are mine.
Shalini
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun domestic drama with a bit of a suspense at the end.

Unhappy marriages and an illicit affair, with one of the children seeing them together led to a blast in the routine of their lives where masks were removed and real nature of the characters came through.

My first book by author Margot Hunt, I enjoyed it completely as it was a light read between my suspense thrillers. I felt like a voyeur waiting for my daily fix of gossip. Characters were varied, good and bad and mixed.

The book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Good Girls Lie
  • The Wives
  • Reputation
  • The Better Liar
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
  • Gretchen
  • The Kill Club
  • Mr. Nobody
  • If She Were Dead
  • The Housekeeper
  • The Other Mrs. Miller
  • First Cut (Jessie Teska, #1)
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • Dead to Her
  • Behind Every Lie
  • 29 Seconds
  • Dear Edward
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
Margot Hunt is the pseudonym of a bestselling writer of twelve previous novels. Her work has been praised by Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist and Kirkus Reviews. BEST FRIENDS FOREVER is her first psychological thriller.

Learn more about Margot and her forthcoming books at
margothunt.com.