Start by marking “The Lying House” as Want to Read:
The Lying House

The Lying House

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  220 ratings  ·  31 reviews
There's only one way to bury a secret...

Lisa Taylor had friends, family and a job she loved back in Cleveland. But when her husband, Jeff, lands the promotion of a lifetime, she gives it all up to stand by him. Their whirlwind move to Miami feels like an adventure, their idyllic new neighborhood the perfect place to start a family. But their dreams are shattered when a
Published November 26th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lying House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lying House

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Lying House
Judy Odom
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 for me

You can't go wrong with a Rick Mofina book.

Twists and turns, the pages fly by and the light stays on just to read one more chapter which becomes several more !

Loved The Lying House, a great read !!
Clouds
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I listened to the audio version. Male narrator for a female character... Didn't work for me. He did not even try to sound like a female. How hard would it have been to get a female to narrate? He used the same voice for every character, really lame. (Mark Owen... Bad narrator)
Long and drawn out. really quite boring.
Gale Eastman
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Thriller although I figured out who the villian was about the middle of the book. Kept me on the edge of my seat.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has a lot of twists and to be honest, it actually kept me guessing as to how the threads involving a serial killer, an assault in Florida, and a blackmailer would pull together. Lisa and Jeff have just moved to Florida from Cleveland when a home invasion upends their world. Luckily, they have a neighbor, Dillard, who was in law enforcement and the resources to completely wire their home for security. Jeff's huge promotion may have come as a result of something other than his own hard work ...more
claudia
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
He did a really good job on this book. I enjoyed it. It took me a while to get into it. When I finally did, it was great.
Pat Thompson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am waiting patiently for this new book. Have never been disappointed. Usually I can't put one down and sleep is not important until I am finished. Good thing I am retired and none to turn the light out.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lying House by Rick Mofina is a highly recommended thriller.

Jeff and Lisa Taylor left Cleveland, Ohio, and move to Miami, Florida, after Jeff receives a big promotion. Lisa left a good job and family behind, but she knows that Jeff's job means they will be able to start a family, something she has always wanted. They have a huge house in an expensive neighborhood, and will soon have a security system installed - but not before they have someone break in and holds a knife to Lisa's throat.
Philip
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I’ve started my 2019 Xmas reading project I will interrupt it to read new releases, either standalones or in series, by authors that I read and this is the latest by Rick Mofina who is #1 on my list of favourite authors and I never miss every new release of his. However while I found this a good and quite enjoyable read I can not rate it as one of Mr Mofina’s best. As is usual in a Mofina book the writing and editing are great with few if any typos and all the characters are well ...more
Eh. I didn't like the main characters, I figured out the story before the middle of the book (you need more red herrings) and the ending was too neat. Everyone whined a lot.
Ben
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gave Rick Mofina’s latest crime thriller five stars because it was, well, obviously, a thrilling thriller that I enjoyed for every taut, well- written and fiendishly plotted 500 pages.
A brief synopsis: Jeff and Lia Taylor have uprooted their lives and moved from Cleveland to a suburb of Miami, after Jeff receives a big promotion at his employer, an advertising firm. Jeff came up with a winning ad proposal that would bring millions in billing fees for his employer.Jeff is in Miami to supervise
Steve
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeff and Lisa Taylor have recently relocated from Cleveland to Miami as he has been promoted because of a new advertising campaign strategy he has developed. Their lives are turned upside down when an intruder breaks into their new home and threatens Lisa with a knife before Jeff is able to chase him away. When the attacker is captured, the local police and the FBI begin a joint investigation into his role in a series of murders over the past few years in multiple locations. And Jeff is ...more
Holly
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book!!! Sometimes we think we can easily leave our past behind. We can move into a brand new life as if nothing happened from 'back then'.
Jeff Taylor and wife Lisa Taylor lived the idealistic life after leaving Cleveland. He lands the promotion of a lifetime - a contract that ends up being over twenty-five million - living the idealistic life - - UNTIL his past comes calling!!!
Lisa becomes attacked in her own safe home - taking away that feeling of security. Jeff's past
Alan Medcalf
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Canadian author of crime/mystery thrillers has delivered yet another engaging delight with characters that build or unravel before us and twisted plot lines that converge, diverge, and then finally converge in a conclusion you can only guess if you're really paying attention. Wonderful entertainment!
Dramatika
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keep you guessing almost until the very end! All these characters in this book are flawed, besides, they all keep secrets. Some of them also carry enormous weight of guilt. All of this makes a very difficult to guess who is the killer. Would be interesting to make it in a tv series!
Neida Joseph-Abel
Dec 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
As per usual, I listened to the audio version. For some reason, the story did not resonate with me at all, not even one bit. Plus I did not like the narrator either. I drug and drug and drug myself through this one and could not wait to get to the end to get through the struggle. Ugh!
Tami
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another Rick Mofina masterpiece! Intense, edge of your seat thrilling to the very end. His writing pulls you into the lives of his characters and with great imagination take you on a twisty ride that is always worth my time.
Daphne Cochran
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK! It is a riveting roller coaster ride from the first page. Rick Mofina scores another winner with this book. It's an edge of your seat book. If you get a chance pick up this psychological thriller, you won't be disappointed.
Mary Forster
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be Wary of New Friends and Watch out for the Past

Rick Mofina hit another one out of the park with this book. There were so many twists and turns that you are surprised over and over again.
Mary
Dec 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
The audiobook is indeed painful to hear. Absolutely could not finish this. (Am willing to consider the format was the issue, but the nagging redundancies do not tempt me to move to the written version.)
William P. Dillon
What a Good Read

Rick Mofina has done it again. He has created very real characters in nightmare of a situation. I highly recommend this book!
Terra Lewis
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kept me guessing until the end
Renee Steeg
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Diane Griffin
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Mofina

As always, Rick Mofina doesn’t disappoint! He always comes through! This was another excellent and exciting story. I highly recommend!
Anna
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Predictable enough, but truly entertaining and enjoyable.
Ozetta Goodwin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisting tale of a couple

I enjoy Rick Mofina books. They always have several twists to them, so in reading you change your mind as to the ending. This was a good mystery.
Renny Barcelos
Nov 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Awful writing, boring plot, dialogues that sound like a high school play that's performed solely by teens who hate acting and are improvising.
Dianne
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The problem with Rick Mofina books is that I can’t put them down, then I have nothing to read! The Lying House is no exception. I recommend all his books.
Suequeenofchaos Catchpole
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never disappointed with a Rick Mofina’s Book.
Lisa Shower
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Even after reading most of the authors previous books, I can still be blown away by yet another. Spectacular! Another wild ride of a read.
Harold Walters
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
For Rick ... not his best.
Description updates 1 2 Dec 03, 2019 10:49AM

• The Last Affair
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • November Road
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • The Playground
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • The Store
  • The Shape of Night
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • Lost Tomorrows (Rick Cahill, #6)
  • In Her Eyes
  • The Devil's Angels MC: Book 3 - Pooh
  • Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9 #3)
  • The Shimmer
  • Justice Lost (Darren Street #3)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist who has interviewed murderers on death row in Montana and Texas, flown over L.A. with the LAPD and patrolled with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police near the Arctic. He's also reported from the Caribbean, Africa and Kuwait's border with Iraq. His true-crime freelance work has appeared in The New York Times, The Telegraph (London, U.K.), Reader’s Digest, Penthouse, ...more