Start by marking “Broadland (DI Tanner #1)” as Want to Read:
Broadland (DI Tanner #1)

Broadland

(DI Tanner #1)

THE DEBUT CRIME THRILLER OF THE YEAR!

A girl’s body found mutilated by a boat’s propeller, another dumped at the bottom of a slipway, and a disused Norfolk mill, hiding the secret to both.

When a girl’s body is found strangled, raped, and horrifically mutilated by a boat’s propeller, deep in the heart of the Norfolk Broads, newly arrived Detective Inspector John Tanner is as
Published April 5th 2019 by Black Oak Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Broadland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broadland

Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Having been lucky enough to have had a couple of holidays on the Norfolk Broads, one of which was spent on a boat, I knew a lot of the places that were mentioned throughout the novel which really made it come alive. Whilst you get a feel for how picturesque the area is, you also get to see a lot of a darker side through the crimes committed in the story.

Tanner I really liked. He is a man with a past, of which the author doesn’t reveal to much, leaving, I hope more to come. The glimpses we do get
Els
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, what a terrific start of a new series. As soon as I opened the book, I was lost, lost in the story. Unfortunately, one has to sleep from time to time. If not I would have devoured the book in one go.
I loved DI Tanner and the banter between him and Jenny. It was very interesting to get a peek in the DI’s past which gave us a better impression of the person behind the police officer.
I enjoyed the story a lot and this was also due to the author’s fluent writing style.
The author managed to c
Kath
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of this author's comedy space series so I was very intrigued when I heard that he had "gone all serious" for this, the beginning of his police procedural crime series, set in the Norfolk Broads. Would he really be able to put all the bonkers, irreverent humour behind him and set his mind to something a little more serious?
And... the verdict is... yes he blooming well can! Although it did hold echos of his trademark humour in some of the dialogue between the two main characters, bu
Susan Hampson
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa the opening was one that really made me sit up, take notice and raise my heart rate like that of Jane Richardson as she is faced with a choice, one similar to the one I had to make late at night after work too. Should she take the short cut home, a much darker and deserted way that cut precious minutes from an already very long day or walk the safe but long way home? Believe me it isn’t common sense that makes the choice, it is your feet after a 14 hour shift. Her feet won and my nightmare ...more
Sid
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book! I finished this in 2 days flat. It was quite the page turner and had me hooked from the very beginning. I really enjoyed the style of writing and the characters. were well crafted. I enjoyed the rapport and the banter between DI Tanner and DC Evans. The ending I could guess but I still enjoyed it. My only point of contention was that the ending felt a bit simple and rushed. Overall a good book, one which I thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. And a b ...more
David Gilchrist
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 5** review of David Blake 'Broadlands' Started this morning, could not put it down. Set on the Norfolk Broads a compelling read. Loved all the twists and turns to the extent I have now pre-ordered book 2 'St. Benets'
Jason Arscott
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very dark and twisted story of murder most foul in the beautiful settings of the Norfolk Broads, with twist and turns gripping you from the outset with horror that sets those hairs tingling. Everytime I guessed or made an assumption about what was going to happen next, I was pretty much wrong on every count.
You will be gripped until the very last page as you learn about DI Tanner, where he originates from and what floats his boat (excuse the pun). Other chararcters also show their colours and
Alyson Read
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first crime fiction story from this author and is an excellent police procedural featuring DI John Tanner. Relocating from the Met to Wroxham station in Norfolk after the death of his daughter Tanner is resigned to having a much quieter time of it, even if it seems that his wealth of experience may be wasted on a small CID division based on the scenic Norfolk Broads. He hasn't even organised a flat or house, instead having the loan of a small boat from an old boss to live on for the ...more
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
Wow! I absolutely loved this book! This was one of those where you really don’t want to go to sleep at night, but you know you have to as it’s a school night!

Detective Inspector John Tanner has just moved to the Norfolk Broads after a bereavement in London. On arriving at his new job, I think it’s fair to say, he’s not particularly welcomed! So much for thinking he might have a quiet life here, he’s assigned to Missing Persons. But his first missing person turns into a murder! Then one murder tu
Simon Leonard
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David first came to my attention a couple of years ago when I first read book 1 in his Inspector Capstan series, The Slaughtered Virgin of Zenopolis and have read every book he has published since.

This book however is completely different to his Inspector Capstan, Abigail Love and Space Patrol books, as it is a serious Police procedural book instead of the comedy of his other series.

I was very intrigued to see how this worked and I am very to pleased to confirm that David is as brilliant a serio
Simon Leonard
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

John
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
People who are familiar with the author, David Blake, who has produced numbers of comic crime mystery books surrounding the characters of Inspector Capstan and his sidekick Dewbush - in both present day and futuristic environment - will know what a great author he is. Well, this is the same author (that is, not another with the same name) and he has now strayed from his 'usual' comic writing style and written a serious crime mystery.

Has he done a good job in this cross-over? Yes, he's done a ver
Joyce
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I feel like I've come upon an episode of the Keystone Cops.

DI John Tanner turns up for a new postion. He meets with DCI Burgess who is a totally unlikeable man in the form of a blowhard. Tanner himself seems a little inept and has a bad temper. (Would a cop really get away with talking to his boss that way?)

He and his subordinate DC Jenny have an immediate attraction to one another. How cliché. Jenny was sizing Tanner up for boyfriend material before they even got to the car to take the
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
NO. NO WAY. That ending and outcome. NO! Shocking. Jaw dropping… Could never see that coming. Broadland is book one in the brand new series DI Tanner…
Tanner has recently moved to another police station and is back to the basics (for now)… However, first day of the job… There’s a body. A killer to be found. There is a lot of tension between Tanner and Burgess who have to share this case with them both being DI’s and both wanting to prove themselves worthy which takes them down some wrong paths al
Laura Wellman
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed David Blake's writing and got through this book a lot faster than I thought I would. It was easy to get into and I found myself turning page after page without realizing just how far into it I'd gotten. The story flowed well, with a few twists and turns that I did not see coming (which is always going to be a good thing.).
Broadland is slated as the first of a series of books, and as such it includes more scene setting and character backstory than some people would like. Personally I s
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always enjoyed reading David Blake’s comedy books full of British slapstick.
This is a turn to the serious DCI Tanner has relocated from London to the Norfolk broads to get away from bad memories of his daughters murder.
He is new to the area and is treated as such by his contemporaries which he takes on the chin.
He is assigned to missing persons with DC Evans. He strikes up a good working relationship and possibly more as they investigate a missing woman.
The story moves along well, I want to
Beccy Thompson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
This is the first book I’ve read by this author. The main characters in the book are brilliant, I loved DI Tanner and his relationship with DC Evans. (I’m a sucker for a book with good character relationships and this did not disappoint).
The book itself is set on the Broads- which it made into a dark and twisted setting. What really struck me with Tanner was how murder seems to have marked him as a man.
Can’t wait for the next bo
Chris Tunnicliffe
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in the Norfolk Broads, John Tanner is the new policeman in town trying to forget his own trauma. He is set some mundane tasks but then a womans body is found,and as he has the most experience he is tasked with finding her killer. All signs point to her husband who has secrets but of course its not that simple especially when another body is found. Both women have used the same fertility clinic but who has the most to gain from their deaths? This book is a real page turner with many twists an ...more
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
I really enjoyed this book, the story was fast paced with short enough chapters to make me want to keep turning the pages. The twists and turns in the story kept me guessing and I enjoyed the characters which I felt were very believable and I could empathise with. I would recommend this author and book if anyone likes a fast paced crime.
story you can get your teeth into!
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I thought this was a really good start to a new detective series. I loved the setting especially as living on a boat on the river is one of those dreams that I would love so this book has just made me want this dream even more. I really invested in Tanner and Evans and look froward to traveling along with them on their next adventure.
Kath Middleton
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First in a new series set in the Norfolk Broads. I enjoyed the characters, and DI Tanner’s growing relationship with his new colleagues after his transfer from London. It’s a good puzzle and several times I thought I’d sorted who was guilty – but things aren’t as simple as I believed them to be. This has all the signs of being a very enjoyable new series. Certainly this first volume is.
Ted Venn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A realistically brilliant story

Reading the story, it was easy to imagine you were there! Once started it was impossible to stop reading. When finished, it was difficult to start reading another story. Roll on Book 2!
Paul Thompson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - a strong sense of the Norfolk setting and plot lines that were complicated and interlinked. The story was police based but not dominated by that fact
Mrs Jeanne
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First encounter with DI John Tanner and DC Jenny Evans Congratulations to David Blake a great story, great locations, great partnership look forward to it blossoming professionally and in their personal lives. Looking forward to more from them in St Benet’s.
Alfred Nobile
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, review-books
My first dance with this author, in a setting that is new to me. The Norfolk Broads. A well written, fast moving tale that I really enjoyed. Four stars from me. More on the blog tour.
Jackie Marchant
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Great twist at the end. Looking forward to reading St Benet's
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Blake has transitioned from slapstick comedy to crime drama and it works well.
The plot moves along at a good pace and the main characters are likeable with good chemistry.
Awaiting book 2 now to see this progress.
No plot spoilers just read and have fun!
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A highly entertaining murder mystery set in the Norfolk Broads.

The story is full of twists and turns but is easy to follow, which meant I just kept turning the pages. I particularly liked the banter between the characters which lightened the overall mood of the book but there were darker moments too, which balanced the whole story beautifully.

A cracking start to a new series by David Blake and I look forward to reading more about Tanner & Evans in the future.

Craig Pearson
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A thoroughly enjoyable read. I could not help but compare the characters and situations found here with the tv series “Midsomer Murders”. The writing and plot development was skillful and smooth. I will look for future books in the series. Well done!
Caroline Vincent - Bits about Books
Engaging, gripping, and intriguing. Broadland is the first in an exciting new detective series featuring
Detective Inspector John Tanner, who, after a traumatic event, transferred from the London Met to the Norfolk Police.

Tanner Murder Mystery #1

Introduction
Jane Richardson should NOT have taken the towpath along the river Bure. It would have been fine if it were light still but the Norfolk Broads were dark and looked impenetrable. Jane knew she was in trouble when she heard a sound behind her. S
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Author's claim 3 22 Jan 06, 2019 08:12AM
INTERNATIONAL BEST SELLING AUTHOR

David Blake is a full-time author living in North London. To date he has written fourteen books along with a collection of short stories. He’s currently working on his fifteenth, St. Benet’s, which is the follow-up to his debut crime fiction thriller, Broadland.

When not writing, David likes to spend his time mucking about in boats, often in the Norfolk Broads, wher

DI Tanner (2 books)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)