Start by marking “As the Shadow Rises (The Age of Darkness, #2)” as Want to Read:
As the Shadow Rises (The Age of Darkness, #2)

As the Shadow Rises

(The Age of Darkness #2)

Six of Crows meets Graceling with a dash of Winter is Coming in this second installment of the action-packed and swoon-worthy Age of Darkness series!

The Last Prophet has been found, yet he sees destruction ahead.

In this sequel to the critically-acclaimed There Will Come a Darkness, kingdoms have begun to fall to a doomsday cult, the magical Graced are being persecuted, and
Published September 1st 2020 by Henry Holt Books for Young Readers

Start your review of As the Shadow Rises (The Age of Darkness, #2)
jessica
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for those readers who love character driven novels, this series for you.

yes, the plot has an important role, but its how the plot defines the characters and influences their choices that really makes this book wonderful. its always such a neat experience when you can see how several individuals continue to be connected in a much bigger way. and this sequel only enhances that particular kind of storytelling, especially because some of their paths have already previously crossed.

and the only rea
Katy Pool
Nov 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As the Shadow Rises is releasing September 1, 2020!

You can preorder the book here:
Indiebound
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Indigo

The cover is live! And you can read an exclusive excerpt featuring your favorite gambler and his swordsman right here: https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/yo...
Renaissance Kate
A 3rd person multi-POV fantasy story with complex, memorable characters, an apocalyptic setting, and Greco-Roman vibes, The Age of Darkness trilogy deserves more love with everything it delivers. Book two, As The Shadow Rises, expands the world and characters we grew to love in the first book, while also upping the stakes for the finale in book three. On top of that, it stands well on its own as a middle book with solid character development and plot twists.

That being said, if it’s been awhile s
Helena of Eretz ✰
Jun 08, 2020 marked it as not-to-read
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

I appreciate the arc, but considering that I dnf'ed the previous book, I don't think that it's fair to review this.
Morgan
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
1) There Will Come A Darkness: ★★★★(3.5)
2) As the Shadow Rises:★★★★ (4.5)

As The Shadow Rises is a fine example of a book NOT suffering from the dreaded ‘second-book syndrome’. Actually, it blew its predecessor out of the water. When I finished There Will Come A Darkness, I had hope, I felt like the sequel could improve and be an all-around quality book, I was invested on faith alone (okay, maybe a little investment in Jude and Anton), and that’s risky business especially when it comes to books.
Sam
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a stunning sequel.

This took every element that made the first book amazing and then cranked it up even more. The action, the character development, the world building, the ROMANCE... All of it was spectacular.

I love all the characters here. They’re each so complex and distinct from one another. And their relationships with each other and with the world around them are fascinating.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have favourites, because I do. Jude and Anton gave me life throughout this book
Rachel Kathryn Wright
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the epic continuation of There Will Come a Darkness, and it starts exactly where it left off. First off the writing and pacing of this book is flawless. And the world building was everything you could ask for, I could picture all of the locations so easily. The plot twists were so good, but some of them you can see coming but they do appear at surprising times and ways. I was held captivated throughout the entire story. I was continuously invested in the story with its imagination, excit ...more
Angelica
Apr 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
Jude and Anton is a thing, right? cause I lowkey ship it
h o l l i s
I'm not going to say this was a disappointing sequel, because it wasn't, but I'll admit that the excitement I felt in book one was mostly missing here. Whereas in THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS I think I was pretty interested in all of the POVs, this time I definitely had favourites and sorta slogged along in some of the paralell plotlines as they eventually converged into one. That said, this is definitely a twisty installment and of a few of the reveals, I think I only managed to predict one of th ...more
Stacie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the entire cast, but Jude and Anton 100% carried this book. They are the sweetest little beans and should be protected at all costs!

Besides how lovable the characters are, the rest of the book was a fun ride too. The story was wonderfully paced, and I was constantly engaged when reading. I never caught myself thinking that there were slow or unnecessary moments. Plus, the world building continues to be cool as hell.

Would recommend the audiobook as well. The narrator does a variety of ac
Kalena W
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars, I don’t wanna wait 9 months for more Jude & Anton

This book was one of my most anticipated books of last year, I’m very lucky to have gotten it for Christmas and been able to read it now. I had super high expectations for this book, and it mostly lived up to it!

One of my favorite things about this series is what the setting is inspired by, Ancient Greece and Southern Asia is how I would describe it. We never get TONS of worldbuilding, but there is a lovely map in the front. This bo
Chance (temporary.escaper)
Thank you Netgalley for the free eArc in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really great continuation of There Will Come A Darkness! It was a little difficult to keep up with who is where, doing what, but if you read slow it’s easier to keep up. I absolutely adore Anton and Jude the most! I can't wait to see where the story goes from here!
Katrina♡••
The day this book is in my hands may be the happiest day yet

Update
So i finished it and it was one heck of a ride. I just love the world and characters Katy Rose Pool has created. They feel so real and i recommend for everyone to pick it up if u haven't. Its fun, touching, very interesting with many twists and turns.

So if you haven't yet picked up the first book, i wont spoil anything. Book 1 is told from 5 different perspectives; Hassan, Jude, Beru, Ephra and Anton. It follows their journey amd
Jen
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-reads
An epic continuation that I could not put down!!! I will be writing a full review and posting it later, but this was just SO GOOD.

Full review starts here:

**I received this as an egalley from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

You know how there are those series that suffer from the “middle-book syndrome?”

Yeah, this isn’t one of those.

As the Shadow Rises continues off where There Will Come a Darkness left, and keeps the story going. It kept my attention, held me capt
Stella ☆Paper Wings☆
Alright. Who gave this book the right to be so MIND-BLOWING. And how long will I have to wait now before the third book comes out?!

My thoughts on this book are pretty much the same as the first book, and honestly, that's all you can ask of the sequel of a book you loved- that it allows you to sustain your love for the first book and never lets you down. I only read There Will Come a Darkness earlier this year, so I was able to return so easily to this vivid and thrilling world, and it really jus
Diana
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vid rev will be available September, 23, 2020 here https://youtu.be/M98ls6jFrXo ...more
Becca Akins
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am loving where this series is going! I love all of the characters and how none of them fit into a specific box. They all have layers and it elevates the story.
Mari
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I still only care about two out of the five characters, but they carried the book in their shoulders magnifically. I think I would have liked it a bit more if the world was more developed, because it's just very weird and I don't fully understand the aesthethic, but the book is fun and almost five hundred pages fly by, you can barely feel them.

The last book is going to be fun, I´m excited.
Isela
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review to come but this was an awesome sequel
Lexi
The Age of Darkness series is such a tragically slept on series. It's a multi-POV action-adventure series with romance, mystery, heists, morally grey characters, Queer/POC characters, and tons of cool Mediterranean world-building that draws from north Africa, the middle east, and Greeko Roman cultures. It's also significantly more mature than most YA books- and would feel like an adult SFF if it wasn't for it's Six of Crow style "everyone needs a romance" vibe *(which we will get to later)

Anyway
Lili  Marcus
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, it is important to mention that I haven’t reviewed book 1 yet and that this review will have spoilers from book 1. Just like book 1, I buddyread As The Shadow Rises with Susan, Maddie and Becky. Please look out for my future post about activities I acquired during quarantine because buddyreading is certainly one of them. Anyway, I enjoyed book 1 but I can say, I enjoyed book 2 even more.

As The Shadow Rises starts right after the events of book 1, There Will Come a Darkness, which p
Isela
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) for sending me an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

When Jude decided to go after Hector, he understood he broke the Paladin’s oath. Now he’s been questioned about whether he broke it or not, possibly losing his title of Keeper of the Word and his life.

Meanwhile, Anton is trying to keep up with the expectations and responsibilities of being The Last Prophet. He needs to rememb
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I read and really fell in love with There Will Come a Darkness last year, especially the characters. So I was super excited to join back up with the gang in this sequel! (To be wholly honest, I thought this was a duology. I have no idea why I thought that, but I did. It isn't, there is definitely a third book!) Anyway, I am going to get my only negative out of the way first: I did ha
Liz Barnsley
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've been dying to read this from the moment I finished book one of The Age of Darkness - well book two ups the ante quite significantly, As The Shadow Rises drops you straight back into this beautifully imaginative world and grips you from first page to last.

What I love about this is the general theme of good and evil, where the lines blur between the two no matter which of our motley crew of characters you happen to be travelling along with. I won't give too much detail in case you still have
Emma Greco
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yeah okay wow...

A lot of thoughts so this isn’t a formal review but basically go read this series it’s criminally underrated and needs more hype

That ending literally just left me staring at the last page blankly for like 3 minutes because WOW

The main pairing is SO GOOD and I literally live for them

I don’t really know how I’m going to wait for the next book...
Viv
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.25

1. the way everything came together was satisfying af
2. all the characters/their povs are important (love all of their dynamics too but romance wise only enjoy jude x anton)
3. the last 10% like,, pls relax
4. gimme the next bk thx
Lauren Don’tGoBrekkerMyHeart
An amazing sequel!
It certainly did not suffer the slow second book syndrome because I was hooked from the get-go.
I think one of my favorite parts to this sequel was witnessing the consequences of the characters previous decisions and how these actions affect life going forward.
Hassan, especially, was a character who grew on me during this book because he's trying to come back from manipulating his people and others. He was the weakest POV for me in the first book, and while he still is not my f
USOM
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

As the Shadow Rises is like watching the reckoning of all the consequences from There Will Come a Darkness pass. Not THE Reckoning, but we watch the ripples of their actions spread out throughout the entire book. The conflicts of faith, of our heart, and the ethics which are tested. This sequel retains all the elements I loved from There Will Come a Darkness - like the emotional char
Morgan
4.75/5 Stars

*I received a free ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher, Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)/Macmillan, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are completely my own.*

As the Shadow Rises is the second book in The Age of Darkness trilogy by Katy Rose Pool, which takes place right where the first book ended off. I read There Will Come a Darkness earlier this year and it was definitely one of my favorite reads of 2020 so I was desperately hoping that the
Elizabeth
*CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS *

As the Shadow Rises is a solid successor to There Will Come a Darkness, remaining steadfast to the original storyline and tone, and for the most part avoiding second book syndrome.

After leaving Beru, Ephyra is determined to find the fabled Eleazar’s Chalice, an object of great power she believes will be able to heal her sister permanently. Beru, on the other hand, meets someone unexpected, altering her course of action. Jude and Anton are ba

• Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Twisted Tree
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Cold Falling White (The Nahx Invasions, #2)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • Novice Dragoneer (Dragoneer Academy, #1)
  • A Lightwood Christmas Carol, Part II (Chain of Gold Extra Content #8)
  • Knight of the Silver Circle
  • The Darkest Part of the Forest
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Beach Read
  • Elma, a bear's life - Volume 1 - The Great Journey (Elma - A Bear's Life)
  • The Fantastical Exploits of Gwendolyn Gray (Gwendolyn Gray, #2)
  • Fence #1 (Fence, #1)
  • Fence #2 (Fence, #2)
  • Fence #7 (Fence, #7)
Katy is a writer living in Berkeley, California. She grew up in Los Angeles, where her screenwriter father taught her about three act structure, characterization, and inciting incidents all before she could tie her shoes. Katy studied history and English at UC Berkeley. She enjoys breakfast sandwiches, fancy cocktails, rooting for the Golden State Warriors, and books that set her on fire.

The Age of Darkness (3 books)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Into the Dying Light (The Age of Darkness, #3)